Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

Isn't it the SIS that's mind-controlling me?

You don't want this answered yet. Keep playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

You don't want this answered yet. Keep playing.

My original assumption doesn't really make much sense in context so it's hardly going to come as a massive surprise.

It's a bit odd (and true to form) for this mind-control thing to be introduced and then on the very next mission your handler outright says "Yeah, I won't use it", rendering the whole thing pointless and needlessly elaborate.

I'm midway through Taris and there's functionally no reason for mind-control to be have been introduced yet. It's designed to stop me rebelling when at this stage priority number one is to endear myself to these people, in my role as sextuple agent. Save the mind-control mumbo-jumbo for when betrayal is something I would actually consider, please.

Less time feeling like a powerless puppet the better.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

sassassin posted:

My original assumption doesn't really make much sense in context so it's hardly going to come as a massive surprise.

The actual reason is moderately interesting and fitting to the world, i like it personally so stick with it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Is there an armor set that's just the IA's costume from the character creator? That's pretty fly for an Imperial guy.

E: I like using the imp starfighter suit pieces for IA as soon as you start since you're impersonating someone called the Red Blade.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 10, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

McSpanky posted:

Is there an armor set that's just the IA's costume from the character creator? That's pretty fly for an Imperial guy.

Yes, I can't remember the name of it offhand, but it's available in the Cartel Market.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

prefect posted:

Yes, I can't remember the name of it offhand, but it's available in the Cartel Market.

As long as you're playing imperial-side, there are a ton of outfits using variations of the same model that are random drops, quest rewards or crafted items, maybe even vendor gear, so it's not necessary to drop hutt bux to approximate that look. There are a few little details specific to the cartel market version, and it's certainly a simple way to get it, but you will be able to slap together a good Imperial uniform without breaking the bank.

Here's the TOR Fashion page for the cartel set. Check the section at the bottom for similar items. I don't even think that's a comprehensive list, because I know there are versions with less armor plating around the collar and other differences. The dye system makes it a lot easier to get the look you want.

I have an agent character that has always worn some version of the Imperial uniform, and I generally prefer mixing and matching the chestpiece with other stuff.

Edit:
Here's my current look for that character:

Outfit:
TH-16A Master Medic Suit (drop)
Covert hand/wrist (cartel packs)
[Random] Synthleather Belt (drop)
Scout's Leggings (vendor)
Theron Shan's Boots (cartel packs)

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 10, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nerd Of Prey posted:

As long as you're playing imperial-side, there are a ton of outfits using variations of the same model that are random drops, quest rewards or crafted items, maybe even vendor gear, so it's not necessary to drop hutt bux to approximate that look. There are a few little details specific to the cartel market version, and it's certainly a simple way to get it, but you will be able to slap together a good Imperial uniform without breaking the bank.

Here's the TOR Fashion page for the cartel set. Check the section at the bottom for similar items. I don't even think that's a comprehensive list, because I know there are versions with less armor plating around the collar and other differences. The dye system makes it a lot easier to get the look you want.

"Clandestine Officer" -- now I remember. Thanks. :tipshat:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I was dumb enough to buy that set outright and wore it as an IA through every infiltration mission. Stupid Republic never had a clue.

It is a great unlock for Imperial classes though. Warrior and SI each get at least one 'Imperial Officer'-type companion and it's good to dress them appropriately.

Space Barbie is the only true gameplay.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Twelve Elves posted:

I was dumb enough to buy that set outright and wore it as an IA through every infiltration mission. Stupid Republic never had a clue.

It is a great unlock for Imperial classes though. Warrior and SI each get at least one 'Imperial Officer'-type companion and it's good to dress them appropriately.

Space Barbie is the only true gameplay.

Hahaha pre cartel market when I leveled my agent he was wearing the full blown imperial trooper outfit from the collector's edition vendor. It was hilarious seeing him "undercover" in full armor covered with imperial logos

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
He's crazy.

He knows too much.

Yeah, let's get him on the ship instead of putting a bullet in his head, that sounds great. Worst undercover mission ever.

God drat the companions in the game are almost all unlikable poo poo.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

sassassin posted:

He's crazy.

He knows too much.

Yeah, let's get him on the ship instead of putting a bullet in his head, that sounds great. Worst undercover mission ever.

God drat the companions in the game are almost all unlikable poo poo.

Agent gets saddled with some really unfortunate choices early on. It gets way better later, but yeah Kaliyo and Vector are both really bad.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Twelve Elves posted:

Agent gets saddled with some really unfortunate choices early on. It gets way better later, but yeah Kaliyo and Vector are both really bad.

Having companions around really clashes with pretty much everything that has happened in chapter two so far. Everyone is in don't trust anyone mode but you're carting a few randoms into every secret rendezvous Vector being the most trustworthy, and he's literally part of a weird alien hive-mind.

Bit annoying having to dismiss companions every transition for *immersion*, but no one said being a secret agent would be easy,

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

sassassin posted:

Having companions around really clashes with pretty much everything that has happened in chapter two so far. Everyone is in don't trust anyone mode but you're carting a few randoms into every secret rendezvous Vector being the most trustworthy, and he's literally part of a weird alien hive-mind.

Bit annoying having to dismiss companions every transition for *immersion*, but no one said being a secret agent would be easy,

You could always buy a droid from the AH.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Twelve Elves posted:

actually they are good because they are all so crazy

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

actually they are good because they are all so crazy

Actually that's the reason they're bad and annoying.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lokin and Scorpio are two of the best companions. Vector is pretty cool too. Kaliyo is bad and Temple is boring.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I always thought Kaliyo was fun.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Medullah posted:

Lokin and Scorpio are two of the best companions. Vector is pretty cool too. Kaliyo is bad and Temple is boring.

Temple and Lokin are the only ones that feel thematically appropriate for the character.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Twelve Elves posted:

You could always buy a droid from the AH.

gently caress, couldn't I have just summoned that ship droid?

edit: Not that droids can be trusted either tbh.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 11, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aleth posted:

I always thought Kaliyo was fun.

Her entire character history is that she's "fun" until she gets bored and will betray you.

Common sense suggests she's a) not a good fit for classified covert operations and b) better suited for the airlock.

She also seems to have a lot of contact with command outside your knowledge, which is problematic for a number of plot-related reasons. It makes little sense for her to be invited on board in the first place (does she contribute anything essential or even meaningful on Hutta?), and far, far less to keep her there.

I don't even [Flirt] with her any more.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I quite liked her in KOTFE because I didn't know her before that.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
A shameful triplepost.

Right from the start Keeper makes it clear she could be an asset but one that you might need to terminate at some point. It's kind of expected that you don't fully trust her and are just using her for her connections and proven abilities in areas Intelligence are likely to be operating until she becomes a liability at which point yes, she goes out the airlock.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aleth posted:

A shameful triplepost.

Right from the start Keeper makes it clear she could be an asset but one that you might need to terminate at some point. It's kind of expected that you don't fully trust her and are just using her for her connections and proven abilities in areas Intelligence are likely to be operating until she becomes a liability at which point yes, she goes out the airlock.

Except you never do get to airlock her, even once she starts blackmailing you.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
It's all well and good, but if i remember right, I heard there was an option to murder one of your people in the beta, and people complained because it would lead to regrets about maybe murdering your only healer at the time?

Maybe it's just one example, but playing it safe gameplay-wise means compromising the story, so you end up keeping all these shady characters that are against your interests. Like Skadge, and Kaliyo.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
That was Quinn, the Sith Warrior companion. He was the only healing companion for the SW at the time so being able to kill him off and be left with no healing comp for a tank/dps class was kind of annoying.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Fargin Icehole posted:

It's all well and good, but if i remember right, I heard there was an option to murder one of your people in the beta, and people complained because it would lead to regrets about maybe murdering your only healer at the time?

Maybe it's just one example, but playing it safe gameplay-wise means compromising the story, so you end up keeping all these shady characters that are against your interests. Like Skadge, and Kaliyo.

Quinn's the one most brought up example because he was the Warrior's healer and people were having a fit over his death being permanent despite having to click on a confirmation stating killing him off was permanent. Whether the ship droid was able to be customized as a replacement healer, I'm not sure but apparently no one was for that option. From what I've read, each of the classes had the options to kill companions. Ashara was one, Kaliyo was another, Skadge was, and I think Vector was too from what I remember off the top of my head. I think Vette could be traumatized into committing suicide. There's probably more but I can't remember. I have to admit that removing the option to kill off companions was a bad decision since it's a good example of having choices matter. Hell, I know some who would love the challenge of making do without specific role companions.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What was the motivation for killing Quinn? Isn't he an unobjectionable loyal officer-type?

From the stories I've played I would have banished/killed:

Kaliyo, Lokin, Qyzen, Zenith, Scourge, Gault, Pierce, Broonmark, anything HK

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
He fucks up pretty bad during the story.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

sassassin posted:

What was the motivation for killing Quinn? Isn't he an unobjectionable loyal officer-type?

Sith Warrior spoilers he's secretly loyal to Baras and tries to kill you

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't remember that but also don't remember how far I got in that story.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

M_Sinistrari posted:

Quinn's the one most brought up example because he was the Warrior's healer and people were having a fit over his death being permanent despite having to click on a confirmation stating killing him off was permanent. Whether the ship droid was able to be customized as a replacement healer, I'm not sure but apparently no one was for that option. From what I've read, each of the classes had the options to kill companions. Ashara was one, Kaliyo was another, Skadge was, and I think Vector was too from what I remember off the top of my head. I think Vette could be traumatized into committing suicide. There's probably more but I can't remember. I have to admit that removing the option to kill off companions was a bad decision since it's a good example of having choices matter. Hell, I know some who would love the challenge of making do without specific role companions.

Only reason I didn't kill him was that. Quinn is too much of a goon.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

sassassin posted:

I'm sure they felt the same about you, you terrible person.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sassassin posted:

Temple

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aleth posted:

I'm sure they felt the same about you, you terrible person.

I'm a very good person who only wants to kill named characters with backstories. Generic grunts are almost entirely safe (droids not included).

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

sassassin posted:

Quinn is unfortunately stuck in the position of being the joe average caught between two powerful Sith Lords bickering. He's got Baras who's now a member of the Dark Council on one side, and the Warrior/Emperor's Wrath who may or may not be his lover on the other and he's got to decide between the two. Baras saved his career and is known to be a petty torture-aholic to those who piss him off, and the Warrior, while powerful with the backing of the Emperor might not be enough to pull off taking Baras down and regardless of how this plays out, there's a pretty good to definite chance of his getting killed so he betrays the Warrior to Baras for what's hopefully a quick death.

What gets me with the fanbase griping about not being able to kill him off is it's hitting 5 years both real time and in game time, why are they all carrying on like what he did just happened with elaborate torture-death fantasies?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Some people are playing through the game now.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I would've killed so many companions. So many. Kaliyo, Aric, Bowdaar, Guss, Tharan, Nadia, Corso, Jaesa, Lokin, Mako. I hate all of them. Terrible character writing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tharan is creepy but harmless and definitely talented enough to be useful. Worth keeping around.

Lokin spends the whole first planet lying to the agent, all the while acting like a good friend. It's hard not to resent that same routine on the ship afterwards.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

sassassin posted:

Tharan is creepy but harmless and definitely talented enough to be useful. Worth keeping around.

Lokin spends the whole first planet lying to the agent, all the while acting like a good friend. It's hard not to resent that same routine on the ship afterwards.

He builds a generator that runs on a form of energy that doesn't actually exist! Tharan's got mad skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

So, the way the 200% xp boost works is that everyone just has permanent rested basically?

edit: i think this is wrong now. trying to figure out how much xp i am missing out on, total, as a non-sub

cams fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 11, 2016

• Locked thread