Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Refurb Paperwhites are $80 and Voyages are $120 right now on Amazon. Both about 27% off today.

I think I'll get a paperwhite finally. What's the goon recommended cover, and should I hold off for cybermonday?

e: Paperwhites will be $99 starting November 20. I've never bought a refurbished thing but I don't see $20 more being worth it.

goodness fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

goodness posted:

Refurb Paperwhites are $80 and Voyages are $120 right now on Amazon. Both about 27% off today.

I think I'll get a paperwhite finally. What's the goon recommended cover, and should I hold off for cybermonday?

e: Paperwhites will be $99 starting November 20. I've never bought a refurbished thing but I don't see $20 more being worth it.

I bought a refurbished Kindle Voyage a few months ago and there's no way you could convince me it was not a brand new unit. Zero risk with Amazon's return policy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

goodness posted:

I use this case for my original gen Paperwhite, but it also fits the newer models perfectly fine since the physical unit didn't really change:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062IPIPQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's $13 and has the magnets in it for the auto shutoff/wake function. And it's held up great for almost 4 years now.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

fishmech posted:

I use this case for my original gen Paperwhite, but it also fits the newer models perfectly fine since the physical unit didn't really change:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062IPIPQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's $13 and has the magnets in it for the auto shutoff/wake function. And it's held up great for almost 4 years now.

Personally I like the omoton cover a little better https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EYW9DSU/

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

SB35 posted:

Personally I like the omoton cover a little better https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EYW9DSU/

What do you like better about it, better quality?

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
I've owned both of those (moko in 2012, omoton in 2014 and counting). The moko is bulkier than the omoton and dust accumulates under the leather part that holds the kindle in place, which annoyed the hell out of me.

I'm not fond of any cases where the Kindle just doesn't slot in though (like the official and omoton).

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Daysvala posted:

Fellow book nerds, I wrote an app to make downloading and saving forum threads as painless as possible. Instructions and download links are here.

Keep in mind that the end result may or may not look formatted on your device and manual editing of the style.css file may be necessary. If you encounter any bugs, please let me know. Hope it's useful to someone else!

Just saw this, and sweet action. I'll give it a shot.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

goodness posted:

What do you like better about it, better quality?

It doesn't have the fabric covering the corners. It just snaps in. TheWirecutter.com agreed as well.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

SB35 posted:

It doesn't have the fabric covering the corners. It just snaps in. TheWirecutter.com agreed as well.

Just got it in, thanks for the suggestion

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So I have the omoton, and I like it, but the Kindle sometimes thinks the cover is closed when it is actually just folded behind the Kindle while I'm reading. Is there a fix for that or something?

Also, I just jailbroke my Kindle finally, I don't think it was mentioned here that a jailbreak for more recent Kindles or firmwares has been available since July. So far I haven't found anything useful to do, since the main thing I really wanted, which was nested collections, is no longer possible even when jailbroken.

So if I don't care about custom screensavers, and I can't nest collections, what is the killer app for a jailbroken Kindle that I'm missing? I have KOReader, but I think I prefer the stock reader, and so I'd rather just convert epubs with Calibre instead of using KOReader to read epubs.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Just cough up the money for the proper leather case. You're going to spend thousands of hours holding this thing so you might as well get the one that looks and, more importantly, feels the best.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm going to say the opposite and say, gently caress a case, get a cheap leather sleeve.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M2LG2WK

Good enough to protect your screen, $10 so who cares what happens to it and it's much more pleasant to read with the Kindle naked. Bought mine in 2014 and it's held up well.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

gently caress a $10 case, I bought this $6 case from AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Magnetic-Super-Slim-PU-Leather-Case-Cover-Pouch-For-Amazon-2014-kindle-voyage-6-eReader/32276461217.html

Love it. Absolutely love it. Everybody who sees the case loves the look too.

I got the brown one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dunno, $4 is worth it to me to get something in the next day or two.

Not that I would get a sleeve. They just don't work well for how I use often use my Kindle: on public transit, often standing. It's nice to have a thing that's all one thing.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I tend toward sleeves because holding devices as they are designed is more pleasant than dealing with extra flappies, thickness, or textures. I also usually read in a pretty relaxed environment.

But if you're doing your reading in a rougher environment like a commuter train, I could see the need for something pricier and thicker that stays stuck on the device.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Yeah, I guess if you're on a train where the Kindle could get jostled out of your hands, it'd be worth it to get a case over a sleeve.

I normally sit my sleeve next to me or put it in my pocket when reading.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 208 days!)

moflika posted:

hahaha, that one doesn't work anymore (which is why I'm not too surprised at the price). The older Kindle 2 is fine, but at that weak trade-in price I'll just go ahead and keep it as a backup since it is built like a tank and will probably outlive me.

Well crap. Might as well keep the 2nd gen (screens are still fragile, too). Have you tried replacing the battery? They cost a few bucks, and would give you a good working Keyboard for a few years (unless you dropped it/doesn't work over USB).

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, definitely keeping the 2nd gen. After my kindle keyboard broke and the 2nd gen was thousands of miles away I went back to paper books out of protest for the lack of page buttons in the current line-up... of course, because I'm a loving goon like that :-/

Lucky for me, a friend of mine just told me to get over it and bought me a Paperwhite without asking. Obviously, as soon as I had the paperwhite in my hands I immediately stop caring. Plus, adding the bulky official case to the mix brought it back to a Kindle Keyboardish size and weight, so that worked out perfect!

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
If you own a Kobo Aura One and balked at the $60 official like I did, moko makes a cheap one at $8.50: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J0RVD3Q

The magnet clasp doesn't trigger the Kobo's awake function though

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Why is it so hard to buy an Aura One in the US, the previous independent bookstores I've bought kobo devices from before have stopped carrying them, and the main kobo store is out of stock :(

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hope and vaseline posted:

Why is it so hard to buy an Aura One in the US, the previous independent bookstores I've bought kobo devices from before have stopped carrying them, and the main kobo store is out of stock :(

It seems like there was just more demand than they were expecting. If you're willing to pay extra to get it as soon as possible, there's several eBay sellers in Japan and Canada who have them at the moment.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I ended up upgrading my original Glo to a Glo HD instead. The only place besides ebay I could find an Aura One was in Chapters, which converted to about $200 USD but with something like 3-4 weeks to ship and I'm not that patient. It's still a little mindbloggling to me that Kobo discontinued the Glo HD in favor of the Aura edition 2 which is almost exactly the same but with a much lower res screen (the same as my original Glo) for a price point lower by 10 bucks. And with the state of firmware updates lately, I'm not sure how longer in the future I can find myself on the Kobo bandwagon.

I might still end up purchasing an Aura One in the future if they resolve the battery issues and have actual stock. I really like the prospect of a large screen e-reader for home reading and a smaller one for on-the-go.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I guess this is a bit of a tech support question but I have a Kobo Aura and have been using it for about a year. I frequently download Overdrive ebooks from the library, add them to my Adobe Digital Editions catalog then transfer manually to the Kobo. Usually works fine but the last 3-4 books I've downloaded give the dumb Adobe DRM error. I can open the books fine on the laptop I downloaded them to but they refuse to open on the Kobo. I talked to Kobo who had no useful info, and Adobe who said I should ask in their 'expert forums' which appeared to be full of people asking the same question I was. Help me goons :( I just want to read my drat books!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Berzerker posted:

I guess this is a bit of a tech support question but I have a Kobo Aura and have been using it for about a year. I frequently download Overdrive ebooks from the library, add them to my Adobe Digital Editions catalog then transfer manually to the Kobo. Usually works fine but the last 3-4 books I've downloaded give the dumb Adobe DRM error. I can open the books fine on the laptop I downloaded them to but they refuse to open on the Kobo. I talked to Kobo who had no useful info, and Adobe who said I should ask in their 'expert forums' which appeared to be full of people asking the same question I was. Help me goons :( I just want to read my drat books!

As long as you can open the books in Adobe Digital Editions on your computer, you can use Calibre to strip out the DRM and put the books on your Kobo. All you need is to install the DeDRM plugin: http://www.epubor.com/calibre-drm-removal-plugins.html

And from then on, DRMed books you import to Calibre will have the DRM stripped on import, so long as you have a licensed reader for the file, like you have with Adobe Digital Editions.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I just bought a Voyage because I broke my paperwhite. Made me think, hey, I should buy a case,* so I did. It's a good case, I like the way it looks, but I don't like the way it feels when I hold it like a paperback. The "hinge" feels loose, if that makes any sense. It's soft to fold around the edge of the kindle but I can't "push" on it the way I'd push toward the spine of a book because the hinge folds back over itself in a Z shape (where the top and bottom of the Z are the back and front of the cover, and the diagonal is the hinge).

I know this is like the most quibbling poo poo ever, but I like having my thumbs on the edges of the book when I read and my fingers pressed against the spine. I'm not getting that with a soft hinge. Anyone know of a good case that solves this first-est of first-world problems?

*this one, if anybody cares: https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Folio...age%2Bcase&th=1

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I just use a cheap sleeve for my Voyage as reading "naked" is too good, IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NON01OK/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Kindle Voyage software update released - 5.8.9

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201630670

• Ragged Right Alignment: You can now read using left-aligned (ragged right) text instead of justified (aligned on both left and right margin). This new alignment option can be selected from the
  • Display Settings (Aa) menu within Kindle books that support Enhanced Typesetting. On the Kindle eBook Store page, look for "Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled" in the features list.
  • Faster Highlighting: You can now touch and drag to make a highlight more quickly. Tap the highlight again to edit or delete it.
  • Advanced manga page turn controls: You can now drag left and right to adjust speed and direction when using the fast continuous page turn feature while reading manga.
  • Preview manga double page spreads: You’ll now see a preview of double page spreads at the bottom of the page while reading manga. Tap the preview to see a full landscape view of the spread and tap again to close it.
  • Crop margins in manga: You can now remove blank margins from manga pages for a closer view of the content. Enable this option from the Display Settings (Aa) menu within manga books.

Fly, my manga pretties.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Does it let you justify text that's ragged right by default?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Waterproof Kindle incoming?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285597

quote:

Only one pic leaked from a retailer in China, perhaps we can name it Paperwhite 4 or simplified Voyage. CPU still not upgraded, same flash storage as previous gen, same 300 ppi, Waterproofing. that's all, a very uninspired mid-market product. And kindle voyage & oasis would be suspended production, there will be 2 new models in 2018, 6 inch & 7 inch devices at high-end market.

Thanks for reading my post full of weird grammar sentences, Im sorry, english is not my native lang, hope you guys could understand it XDD

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

I don't see the point. When I want to read in the bath I just put my Kindle in a Ziploc bag

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A Paperwhite already only has one button and a USB port so it can't be that hard to waterproof.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

smackfu posted:

A Paperwhite already only has one button and a USB port so it can't be that hard to waterproof.

You can already buy one, it's just really expensive for a Paperwhite.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

smackfu posted:

Give it wireless charging and expose the internal storage as a SMB share. Now you don't need the USB port at all.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Hey Kindle owners--is there a way to disable "fast highlighting" on the Paperwhite? My sister somehow turned it on last week, and I've been trying to find a way to turn it off, but there's no option for it on the settings menu.

Cygna fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 12, 2017

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
This is probably a no-brainer, but turning my Kindle on for maybe like a minute or two at a time a lot is a good way to kill the battery, yeah? More ruining its lifespan than just burning its charge faster. I have to take an elevator a lot at my job and I usually have my Kindle on my person and will turn it on to read a page or two.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

apophenium posted:

This is probably a no-brainer, but turning my Kindle on for maybe like a minute or two at a time a lot is a good way to kill the battery, yeah?

No, that's perfectly fine. It's just in sleep mode most of the time anyway, even while "on".

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Ratspeaker posted:

Hey Kindle owners--is there a way to disable "fast highlighting" on the Paperwhite? My sister somehow turned it on last week, and I've been trying to find a way to turn it off, but there's no option for it on the settings menu.

I think an update was pushed last week (or recently, anyway) adding some faster highlighting method, because I got a pop-up on mine explaining it. So that's probably what happened, rather than her accidentally enabling it. I'm not sure there's any way to disable it. To be honest I couldn't really understand how it was any different from the already-existing highlighting feature.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

fishmech posted:

No, that's perfectly fine. It's just in sleep mode most of the time anyway, even while "on".

Oh that's cool. I would have figured waking it up from sleep would be the more battery intensive part. Thanks!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

apophenium posted:

Oh that's cool. I would have figured waking it up from sleep would be the more battery intensive part. Thanks!

They most power hungry things you do on it are having the WiFi on in a place with lovely signal, and then in a distant second it's turning pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
I can't register my Amazon account to my Paperwhite. Keeps giving me a "Registration Help" message telling me to double-check my ID and password. I'm absolutely sure I'm using my e-mail for the ID and the correct password, doing so on Amazon.com logs me in just fine. Any ideas? If not, how can I contact Amazon for a replacement?

E: Never mind. Got to a live chat thing with a service rep and he registered it to my account immediately. Man, talk about snappy service!

Scratch-O fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 24, 2017