Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

RasperFat posted:

The last entire year saw almost no public feminist movement. Hillary WAS the public feminist movement. But what was she fighting for? Was she adamant about equal pay? Adamant about childcare? Adamant about reproductive health?

... Yes? She mentioned those issues constantly on the stump, and those were easily the issues she was the most passionate and consistent about.

There are many good reasons why Hillary lost, but "not being passionate enough about womens' and childrens' issues" isn't one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Schumer backing keith confirms what venom snake is saying about the party being completely leaderless and broken. It's really difficult to overstate how much of the internal power structure of the democratic party has been violently upeneded with the collapse of the clinton faction, with hundreds of party apparatchiks completely giving up and leaving or having an extreme existential crisis

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Who and what

Sorry if this was explained just a few pages ago before I showed up

congressman keith ellision has put his name foward for dnc chair and is supported by bernie. he is the second in command of the congresional progressive caucus and basically and third way/clintonism as you can get.

senate minority leader chuck schumer is a vile snake who does what is best for schumer and was a major force supporting the clinton faction. him running to the progressives like a dog, where he would be viewed with suspicion by the new locus of power of progressives and left-liberals is a weathervane that he think this is only way to avoid getting eaten by the mob

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

silver lining to all this is maybe democrats and 'progressives' will stop whining about 'neoliberal' lol

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Zikan posted:

Schumer backing keith confirms what venom snake is saying about the party being completely leaderless and broken. It's really difficult to overstate how much of the internal power structure of the democratic party has been violently upeneded with the collapse of the clinton faction, with hundreds of party apparatchiks completely giving up and leaving or having an extreme existential crisis

congressman keith ellision has put his name foward for dnc chair and is supported by bernie. he is the second in command of the congresional progressive caucus and basically and third way/clintonism as you can get.

senate minority leader chuck schumer is a vile snake who does what is best for schumer and was a major force supporting the clinton faction. him running to the progressives like a dog, where he would be viewed with suspicion by the new locus of power of progressives and left-liberals is a weathervane that he think this is only way to avoid getting eaten by the mob

i'm glad the corporatists just realized they handed the keys of government to fascists with their idiocy

i'd have prefered they woke the gently caress up during the primary but whatever

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

DaveWoo posted:

... Yes? She mentioned those issues constantly on the stump, and those were easily the issues she was the most passionate and consistent about.

There are many good reasons why Hillary lost, but "not being passionate enough about womens' and childrens' issues" isn't one of them.

Yeah it didn't help that Clinton talking about policy isn't sexy and the media reported really only on her talking about Trump because Trump is ratings.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, honestly this was probably the thing Hillary believed in the most.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Battle Royale Baby posted:

Aw I missed out on DNC chairman Elliott Smith chat :(

Overall I'm just really skeptical that Donna is just going to hand Bernie the keys without a fight. It seems like she and the other leaders really believe they did nothing wrong based on what has come out so far, even in the face of Zach.

If my facebook is any indication a lot of people who are in that bubble are sincerely failing to understand what happened and really just think everybody is just a racist and hates women.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

Same. There's some in the Union community who are like "let's encourage the GOP/conservatives to push for a full out repeal of the NLRA/Taft Hartley and just have one last, wild west labor fight.

It would either work spectacularly or it would be the nail in the coffin for the American labor movement.

Wildcat strikes in the age of social media? Oh poo poo, where did this boner come from?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

DaveWoo posted:

But... she wasn't? Did you see a single TV add that was some sort of focus on the family bullshit? Or guaranteed child care being a talking point?

No we didn't. She has historically been fighting for these things. She didn't communicate that effectively at all. She communicates Trump is bad and I have a good and extensive policy plan go check it out.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Peel posted:

silver lining to all this is maybe democrats and 'progressives' will stop whining about 'neoliberal' lol
they didn't learn after losing congress in 2010 after winning an overwhelming mandate in 2008

they spent their mandate being corporate stooges and handing out giant favors to wall street

obama publically still wanted to push tpp through the primary season and general election

i have little faith

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

RasperFat posted:

I know a lot of great women fought hard for Hillary and against Trump. They are not the problem. The women who just stayed home aren't the problem. Even the alarmingly high number of women who voted for Trump aren't the problem.

Hillary surrogates saying young women supported Sanders because that's where the boys are were a problem.

Madeline "500,000 dead Iraqi children were worth it" Albright saying there's a special place in Hell for women who don't support Hillary was a problem.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

FistEnergy posted:

I made my share of Berniebro jokes this year, and I assumed that Clinton's flaws weren't fatal when compared to Trump's, but I just finished emailing Sherrod Brown and I told him that neoliberalism is dead and the progressive wing needs to take over from here and focus on economic equality and unionization. And after that, I emailed my county Democratic party office to find out how I can help out with this Trump-sign-infested county.

If you're comfortable doing so, can you post the basic form of your emails? I definitely need to do the same.

Obviously you don't need to share personal information.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

DaveWoo posted:

Uh, what stump? She didn't hold any rallies or press conferences for the longest time. They just kept having "intimate settings" which nobody covered.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Hell, look at the D&D thread about what went wrong (I won't quote posts because I don't know if that's kosher). But you have people seriously posting that maybe she just didn't stress enough about how she'd be a woman president and break the glass ceiling. And others posting about how it was really the polls that failed her and if she'd had better data she would have done things right and won. The bubble still exists and while I hope it gets smashed so the party can move forward I'm not sure if it will.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

tbf she probably would have won with better data

losing by several small margins in key states means there's a laundry list of things she could have done differently to win. the democrats were blindsided but not blown out

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Wildcat strikes in the age of social media? Oh poo poo, where did this boner come from?

I've been pondering the "how to revolt without automatically getting loving murdered" and I think this is it.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Peel posted:

great post

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Peel posted:

losing by several small margins in key states means there's a laundry list of things she could have done differently to win. the democrats were blindsided but not blown out

yep, that's what irks me the most about the "hillary lost because of racism" posters. if she had motivated people just one tiny smidgen better, she would've won. and it's not like she was trying. maybe instead of having a cameo in broad city hillary could have had a rally in the rust belt talking about her jobs retraining and the green jobs she was gonna bring them

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Peel posted:

Basing your campaign on being data driven is also why it came off as being unrelatable and alien to begin with. It was a technocratic delusion which led them to forget that politics are fundamentally social in nature. The first thing they should have done was get her to quit using that stilted speech pattern she always used when delivering prepared statements.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I'm just hoping the centrists who insist that Hillary did not fail and was failed just take their ball and go home completely.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Basing your campaign on being data driven is also why it came off as being unrelatable and alien to begin with. It was a technocratic delusion which led them to forget that politics are fundamentally social in nature. The first thing they should have done was get her to quit using that stilted speech pattern she always used when delivering prepared statements.

Basing it on being data driven lets you pay poo poo tons of consultants. Those consultants are upper income professional class social liberals that live in the richest cities in the US, those cities are Democratic power centers. It funnels money to the right people in the right places, which is the entire point of the party. It's not a bad thing.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fiction posted:

I'm just hoping the centrists who insist that Hillary did not fail and was failed just take their ball and go home completely.

There's enough Netflix and cat videos to last a lifetime.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

MysteriousStranger posted:

Basing it on being data driven lets you pay poo poo tons of consultants. Those consultants are upper income professional class social liberals that live in the richest cities in the US, those cities are Democratic power centers. It funnels money to the right people in the right places, which is the entire point of the party. It's not a bad thing.

well, cept when that funnel gets in the way of downticket races

oops!

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Condiv posted:

well, cept when that funnel gets in the way of downticket races

oops!

MS has just been reminding everyone of the structure of the Democratic party periodically because apparently everyone, myself included, has collective amnesia

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

MysteriousStranger posted:

The Democratic Party is a party of the bourgeoisie you say? *rubs chin*

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

speaking of, what kind of horrific debt do you think the shittastic DNC leadership left us from this election? how much do you guys think they overextended themselves expecting a constant stream of "donations" after hillary won?

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Condiv posted:

yep, that's what irks me the most about the "hillary lost because of racism" posters. if she had motivated people just one tiny smidgen better, she would've won. and it's not like she was trying. maybe instead of having a cameo in broad city hillary could have had a rally in the rust belt talking about her jobs retraining and the green jobs she was gonna bring them

Michigan was close enough that she'd probably have won it easily just by having a press conference talking about Flint during the general election period.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Apparently, what they learned from Obama's campaign was "data" instead of "talk to people. listen to people".

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Hillary surrogates saying young women supported Sanders because that's where the boys are were a problem.

Madeline "500,000 dead Iraqi children were worth it" Albright saying there's a special place in Hell for women who don't support Hillary was a problem.

In agree with that. Albright is an establishment presence and thus was basically Hillary herself. There were definitely assholes mixed in there, I just wanted to be careful about throwing all of the millions of women that supported her under the bus.

It's cool to have been excited about the first female president. The problem is the DNC dangled it front of us with laser show and pyrotechnics, distracting us from the fact that the source of light and fire was a burning dumpster of a candidate and out of touch campaign.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Peel posted:

But that still goes to the central premise of third way-ism that she could have just slightly tweaked something to gain a few more votes from a certain demographic. At the end of the day her and the DNC were so completely focused on data and virtue signalling that they completely lost touch with the country. They lost it so badly that our next president is Donald loving Trump. Better data wouldn't have made her a better candidate.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Fiction posted:

I think we all failed each other

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Condiv posted:

speaking of, what kind of horrific debt do you think the shittastic DNC leadership left us from this election? how much do you guys think they overextended themselves expecting a constant stream of "donations" after hillary won?

I'd also be interested to see what happens to the Clinton Foundation now that their power and influence in DC is heavily diminished. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say donations, especially from foreign governments, fall considerably.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Venom Snake posted:

It's fine man. If I couldn't handle people being upset at me I wouldn't have made the thread. And I agree with you that they need to be helped like yesterday. Do you think something like minimum income would also help them?

Hey I wanted to thank you for sticking with this thread, and I really hope others from the campaign are watching this thread and taking notes.

These people just want their lives back. They used to go to work, bond with their co-workers, bitch about their managers, and spend 8 hours a day doing something that was useful. Then they went home to their house and their wives and their kids and felt good about putting in a full day's work. They turned on the TV, maybe cracked open a beer, and had conversations about being able to take that vacation in a few years, or maybe this year we'll be able to redo the bathroom. Yeah maybe they weren't the smartest person in the world or "management material" or whatever the gently caress people judged them by, but they woke up every morning, put their pants on, and showed up to work 2 minutes early to Do Something that needed to be done. They worked hard and were loyal and were proud of it.

Sending these people a check in the mail might keep them from literally dying, but it won't Let Them Live. These people want want to go Do Something. They want to be useful. They want to have co-workers they can laugh with and managers to bitch about. They want to count down the days until that vacation. They want to feel proud again.

The Democratic Party switches between ignoring these people and sneering at them for their silly, backward, uneducated ways. The GOP tells them "We can't fix this but I swear those idiots broke it, and I'll go punch 'em in the nose for ya!" Maybe 10 years ago when the factory closed down they weren't susceptible to that message, but after 10 years of no jobs and watching their town fall apart and their buddy's suicide and the divorce and their kids fleeing for the loving hills they're god drat angry. And you know what? They have every loving right to be angry, because they were loyal and they worked hard and in exchange the capitalist class sold them the gently caress out so some loving CFO could watch his loving numbers tick up a hair.

We can 100% offer solutions to this as a party without sacrificing a single god drat thing. We can build green energy factories in these counties. We can build research centers in these counties. We can build healthcare centers in these counties. Take whatever liberal priority you can think of and we can build something here to help fix things nationally and help these people locally.

People are saying we just need to bump this group or that group's turnout levels back to Obama levels. Great! I do too! But here is something we can do in addition to that! Here is something that helps people who have been savaged by the capitalist class and helps fight global warming or helps advance research or helps improve healthcare in this county. Why the gently caress wouldn't we want to do this?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

RasperFat posted:

In agree with that. Albright is an establishment presence and thus was basically Hillary herself. There were definitely assholes mixed in there, I just wanted to be careful about throwing all of the millions of women that supported her under the bus.

It's cool to have been excited about the first female president. The problem is the DNC dangled it front of us with laser show and pyrotechnics, distracting us from the fact that the source of light and fire was a burning dumpster of a candidate and out of touch campaign.

Nobody is holding this against Clinton's supporters (who weren't counter-productive assholes), but it's not exactly fair to pin all the blame on Clinton herself. She is ultimately responsible, yes, but her surrogates turned off a lot of women bigly.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The dumbest presidential campaign yet full of delusional imbeciles, was better staffed and organized than the Clinton campaign. And nobody could tell because we were all completely distracted by the sheer spectacle of the Trump Train.

100 years from now historians might still be debating whether trump was actually playing 5-D chess or was just a bumbling idiot who stumbled into the presidency cuz everyone else hosed up

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Thoguh posted:

But that still goes to the central premise of third way-ism that she could have just slightly tweaked something to gain a few more votes from a certain demographic. At the end of the day her and the DNC were so completely focused on data and virtue signalling that they completely lost touch with the country. They lost it so badly that our next president is Donald loving Trump. Better data wouldn't have made her a better candidate.

They didn't lose touch with the country. The Democrats just weren't going to demonize immigrants or promise that empty threats of trade wars will bring back jobs. Guess what? They are still not going to do so in the future.

What they will do is give up ground on guns, government regulation, and taxes to try and flip college educated whited voters in their favor.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

no it's cuz racism we lost

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

loquacius posted:

I feel like Hillary adopting Bernie's platform was a rhetorical weapon to shut down people trying to call her centrist rather than an actual platform of policy stances she believed in and wanted to sell people on

I feel like 0 people including Hillary herself actually believed that she actually adopted Bernie platform on anything other than paper

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

tadashi posted:

Apparently, what they learned from Obama's campaign was "data" instead of "talk to people. listen to people".

I think a lot of it was a combination of Nate Silver + the shittastic failure of Orca in 2012. We convinced ourselves we are the best at tech and so smart we couldn't lose with all these computers.

The fetishization of "data driven" in the tech and consulting industries is a bit of a problem IMHO. There's an ironclad believe that it can correct all human gently caress ups, groupthink, and bias, but little realization that if your models, methods, or data is flawed it can just as easily make all those problems worse.

Or as the old statistician joke goes: "If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

We can 100% offer solutions to this as a party without sacrificing a single god drat thing. We can build green energy factories in these counties. We can build research centers in these counties. We can build healthcare centers in these counties. Take whatever liberal priority you can think of and we can build something here to help fix things nationally and help these people locally.

more importantly, you can promise to do those things regardless of whether you have the inclination or even ability to do them

• Locked thread