Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Affi posted:

The second they change waghs to have the otjee army autofollow is when ill play orks. Hate losing tempo! Love orks!

They do autofollow, that's their default behaviour!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Auto resolution seems to favor the player a ton

When its around 50/50 I usually win on auto. Although I've lost plenty of autos that I have gone back and fought manually that I won easily.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

They do autofollow, that's their default behaviour!

And the Waaagh!'s turn always follows yours, so both armies can usually stick together.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I think by "hate losing tempo" they mean not being able to initiate attacks with waaaagh support. They don't auto-follow on your own turn since they're a different faction so usually you only get waaagh support if, for whatever reason, the AI attacks you thinking they can take both you and your waaaaagh. Usually, this means you're getting lightning struck.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Waaghs work best at supporting sieges or being the second army for a 2vs2 where the AI won't run. Just park your main army near the target and throw the waagh at it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Would anything be broken if Waaagh armies were just player-controlled? It always felt cumbersome how they handled the mechanic, though I'm used to it by now. They're pretty easy to abuse as is and I can't think of too many more ways if you controlled them instead of the AI. Save a turn by attacking a settlement immediately instead of waiting for back-up?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
At some point in the cycle they decided that they should be implemented as an AI faction and then they were. This let them easily and quickly allow them to raid you, cost you 0 upkeep, potentially betray you and prevent you from recruiting things into them on your own all without having to write entirely new systems--the stuff they can do is stuff any other AI can do as well, so it was easy.

Basically, it is kind of cumbersome to the player with some of that being on purpose to nail the flavour and some of it just being a bad side-effect of the implementation but it was less cumbersome from their perspective in terms of getting it built and implemented on schedule. I doubt they much discussed broken/not-broken here.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I forgot they raid your provinces when they get bored. I guess a player-controlled army wouldn't do that.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone know of a good mod that changes lords XP gain for everyone in the game? I consistently finish the campaign before my lords become truly fun and later lords never get any real levels. I'm thinking maybe something like a 50% boost or around there.

Sidenote: The Steam Workshop search engine is such extreme trash, i can never find what i want. Either people are tagging their creations like retards or the engine is just plain bad.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

Anyone know of a good mod that changes lords XP gain for everyone in the game? I consistently finish the campaign before my lords become truly fun and later lords never get any real levels. I'm thinking maybe something like a 50% boost or around there.

Sidenote: The Steam Workshop search engine is such extreme trash, i can never find what i want. Either people are tagging their creations like retards or the engine is just plain bad.

I could swear there's one that gives double skill points at level up that would mostly accomplish what you're looking for.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dongattack posted:

There is 'sort of' solution with plenty of choices on the workshop - gain extra skill points per level up.

Just search the workshop for 'skill points' and you'll have a million different varieties to choose from.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Deified Data posted:

I could swear there's one that gives double skill points at level up that would mostly accomplish what you're looking for.

Captain Beans posted:

There is 'sort of' solution with plenty of choices on the workshop - gain extra skill points per level up.

Just search the workshop for 'skill points' and you'll have a million different varieties to choose from.

The skill point ones will only work halfway because i need actual levels to unlock quests for Legendary Lords, thank you tho.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I use "Max Level 60 generals" combined with "TWW Experience mod" (cause I like the rp part of lvling up lords and fiddling with skills), TWW experience is a real nice rebalance of exp gains making it more feasable to get lords to lv30+.

Personally I find the double skill points mods to be way to broken to use in my campaigns, they just tend to upset the balance and make the game all too easy way too fast.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I love that dwarf event that's "Our empire is crumbling and our race dying out, all because of these drat Grudges! Surely we should stop!" and your options are A: "Uhh actually Grudges own?" B: "Imma give a big Hell Yeah to Grudges"

BTW if you are jonesing for more warhams, Warhammer:Geheimnisnacht had a release on monday. In addition to the other changes they added Albion of all things ???????

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

RentACop posted:

I love that dwarf event that's "Our empire is crumbling and our race dying out, all because of these drat Grudges! Surely we should stop!" and your options are A: "Uhh actually Grudges own?" B: "Imma give a big Hell Yeah to Grudges"

That's pretty loving awesome. I love warhammer dwarves

also the Vampire Count armies own. I wish bats weren't so goddamn weak but I love the way the army works

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
To expand on what i'm talking about re: waaghs.

They're this really cool mechanic that for some reason forces me to not be aggressive as what is supposed to be the most aggressive race.

1. On my turn I can't attack and use my waagh as support. Which is just bad design. Unless i'm already siegeing and they've caught up.

2. If I decide to actually point them somewhere else I gain absolutely no benefits! If they defeat an army I don't gain any XP, if they assault a city I gain no cash.

_____

Solutions would be

1. Have them autofollow on my turn. Somehow! Shouldn't be impossible really.

2. Have us gain stuff if we use them as a blunt tool somewhere else.

______

Or make waaghs a completely different beast. Have them give your armies insane casualty replacement and moraleboosts. So that instead of having a cumbersome extra army that won't let you be aggressive as gently caress give your army like 20% cas replacement because orcs are flocking to your banner from everywhere and give us boosts to damage and morale for that orcs army.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Also when are we getting the option to decline control over an army in a battle?

I don't actually like controlling 2-3 armies in a battle, I think its clunky.

Why can't I just have an option that says "Yeah I need the troops but hold on let me just control my one army and let the ai control the other two"

PS: can someone link me the mod that makes fighting on snowy maps not retarded?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Affi posted:

Also when are we getting the option to decline control over an army in a battle?

I don't actually like controlling 2-3 armies in a battle, I think its clunky.

Why can't I just have an option that says "Yeah I need the troops but hold on let me just control my one army and let the ai control the other two"

The recent Reddit Q&A addressed this, it's a feature they're looking at adding at some point apparently (no timeframe).

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Affi posted:

2. If I decide to actually point them somewhere else I gain absolutely no benefits! If they defeat an army I don't gain any XP, if they assault a city I gain no cash.

I would love to get loot from my waaaghs, but I wouldn't say absolutely no benefits. Your waaagh can capture settlements for you, which can allow you to consolidate provinces very quickly.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah Waaghs are for capturing the lovely little non-cap towns with no garrison/walls which you would normally just have to auto-resolve through anyway because what's the fun in fighting a 5-card garrison with a full stack? You can also really easily use them to attack enemy stacks, just move your stuff up into reinforcing range in your turn, then set the Waaagh to attack the stack and it'll move up and initiate the battle - Waaaghs move before anything else so the enemy won't move away or whatever.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think making Waaghs just mean that Greenskin players get double the military would be crazy hard to balance. And it would feel awkward, dealing with arbitary restrictions on what is and isn't a waagh army and how that impacts fightiness and replenishment and moving units from stacks.

I think the current implementation is alright actually. Think of it not as 'it discourages me from being aggressive', but as 'you're the more disciplined core of chaotic and mindlessly destructive herd'. You've got a choice of either spending resources on maintaining control over the rest of the herd, or just embracing the chaos and setting the waaagh loose to do its own thing. If I was to change waaghs at all I would actually emphasise more the disadvantages of waaaghs. Like force you to share loot with waaaghs, or raze cities you don't want to, and stuff like that.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 11, 2016

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any tips for my first Skarsnik campaign? Synergies that aren't obvious, things you wish you knew and the like?

edit: tried a all gobbo army in custom battle to try and figure out the army comp i wanna run with, but they broke almost straight away due to their low morale. i must be missing something here.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 11, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fangz posted:

I think making Waaghs just mean that Greenskin players get double the military would be crazy hard to balance. And it would feel awkward, dealing with arbitary restrictions on what is and isn't a waagh army and how that impacts fightiness and replenishment and moving units from stacks.

I think the current implementation is alright actually. Think of it not as 'it discourages me from being aggressive', but as 'you're the more disciplined core of chaotic and mindlessly destructive herd'. You've got a choice of either spending resources on maintaining control over the rest of the herd, or just embracing the chaos and setting the waaagh loose to do its own thing. If I was to change waaghs at all I would actually emphasise more the disadvantages of waaaghs. Like force you to share loot with waaaghs, or raze cities you don't want to, and stuff like that.

I use my waaghs like ammo. Just send them at something I want weakened and follow-up with an attack from my real army. They also make nice bait. The key thing is I don't give a poo poo about them, and actively try to get them eliminated once they've been weakened a bit (to basically restart the timer for a new fresh waaagh). Nothing worse than a wimpy waaagh raiding your own territory.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

Any tips for my first Skarsnik campaign? Synergies that aren't obvious, things you wish you knew and the like?

edit: tried a all gobbo army in custom battle to try and figure out the army comp i wanna run with, but they broke almost straight away due to their low morale. i must be missing something here.

There are no redskills in custom battles and that makes a huge difference. There are two tiers of them and together they give +36 Melee Attack to ALL gobbos, plus +40% charge bonus to night goblin units.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 11, 2016

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Gejnor posted:

There are no redskills in custom battles and that makes a huge difference. There are two tiers of them and together they give +36 Melee Attack to ALL gobbos, plus +40% charge bonus to night goblin units.

But no leadership tho? Don't they still break very early?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Dongattack posted:

But no leadership tho? Don't they still break very early?

They won't break if they think they're winning the fight. Get the initial edge with the big charge and the massive +attack, then really quickly hit the back with skulkers. Even dwarfs will flee before gobbos in this situation.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Can anyone recommend a mod that makes direct damage or AOE damage spells powerful? Overpowered is fine, in fact, overpowered is ideal.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Smiling Knight posted:

They won't break if they think they're winning the fight. Get the initial edge with the big charge and the massive +attack, then really quickly hit the back with skulkers. Even dwarfs will flee before gobbos in this situation.

Aah, nice, i see it now. Yeah, that's pretty viable VS my initial thought of "this is dumb".

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

You all know you can just move next to the target you want to double-fight and then target it with your waagh, right? Your waagh will then (on its turn) walk up and initiate combat with the bads, allowing you to join as reinforcements.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Deified Data posted:

Would anything be broken if Waaagh armies were just player-controlled? It always felt cumbersome how they handled the mechanic, though I'm used to it by now. They're pretty easy to abuse as is and I can't think of too many more ways if you controlled them instead of the AI. Save a turn by attacking a settlement immediately instead of waiting for back-up?

I actually kind of like how you can't control them. Going into a manual battle and watching a tide of orks give no fucks and just charge at the enemy because they know you'll back them up is loving great.

If you're not backing them up you're a stinkin' umie

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i just tend to attack a settlement i want to loot and then let the waagh come second and raze it for me :v:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

Aah, nice, i see it now. Yeah, that's pretty viable VS my initial thought of "this is dumb".

Besides that there are more ways to gain leadership thats impossible to gain during custom battles, traits can and will unlock that give you more leadership both on Skarsnik and any heroes you may embedd in the army. For instance right now my Night Goblin Shaman thats embedded with Skarsnik gives +5 Leadership when attacking, and there are many more of that type of traits to get!

Edit: i forgot theres also techs, theres a +5 LD for Gobbos, as well as a +5 LD for orcs!

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 11, 2016

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Can anyone recommend a mod that makes direct damage or AOE damage spells powerful? Overpowered is fine, in fact, overpowered is ideal.

Molays spells and artifacts used to be this but for whatever reason it was discontinued. Disappointing, it really made the magic system and legendary lords seem special.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

Molays spells and artifacts used to be this but for whatever reason it was discontinued. Disappointing, it really made the magic system and legendary lords seem special.

His spells were interesting but he super overpowered the quest items to such a degree that it felt like cheating for me.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
If I edit the Chaos invasion script to only spawn empty armies, would the Chaos AI then recruit units for those armies, leading to more varied armies to fight? Or would it just gently caress the AI completely?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Dezztroy posted:

If I edit the Chaos invasion script to only spawn empty armies, would the Chaos AI then recruit units for those armies, leading to more varied armies to fight? Or would it just gently caress the AI completely?

It recruits more since they also spawn with buildings and no stack spawns at 20 but you encounter them full. You might want to give them more buildings though, if you go that route. And I'm not sure how their AI actually works for their first few turns--it's possible they'd charge forward as if they had 17 stacks and Kislev would just snipe them instantly.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

Goon Fight 3 - Battle of the Underdogs Complete!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE OVERALL WINNER AND WINNER OF THE MOST UNDERDOG FACTIONS - Vox Nihili

Thanks to everyone who played, this generated a lot of really fun replays to watch! I know each tournament we have a number of players who are very new to multiplayer so I want to give a special thanks to everyone who tested out the online waters for the first time too.

Vox Nihili you can hit me up on steam to claim your choice of DLC prize.

Oh hey awesome, nice surprise to be reading about the new DLC stuff and stumble upon this post. I'll have to hit you up this weekend, thanks.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Also, is there still time to sign up for the new tourney? I've been a bit sidelined by political trauma so I haven't really kept up properly here.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Cataph has an updated version of Molay's mod, albeit a nerfed one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Gejnor posted:

His spells were interesting but he super overpowered the quest items to such a degree that it felt like cheating for me.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=720729515 :science:

school of metal still feels a bit lacking though

• Locked thread