Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You people are loving crazy. Games like Super Mario Bros 3, Kirby's Dreamland, Tecmo Bowl, and Punch Out will never not be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
None of those old games are real games. Not without hours of cutscenes penned by great writers such as David Cage

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, especially with Mario Maker coming to the 3DS... I honestly can't imagine a 7 year old not having their mind blown by showing them a SMB3 or SMW hidden exit.

I brought my rMBP up to South Dakota to meet my girlfriend's family last year and I had Nidhogg on it, and her sister's ~11 year old kids were eating it up.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I'm not sure what he'll think of it, but his dad had the exact same idea about getting it for him when I brought it up, so there'll probably be some interest.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

greatn posted:

You people are loving crazy. Games like Super Mario Bros 3, Kirby's Dreamland, Tecmo Bowl, and Punch Out will never not be great.

Tecmo Bowl wasn't good when it came out. It's a decent collection of games all good but like, they've all aged pretty hard in the intervening years due to game design advancements. Although save states probably does offset like 90% of the frustration.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is just going to be like when you get a kid an erector set and it's just the adults playing with it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I could see some kids liking an SNES classic. NES to SNES was a big leap. NES, though - I lived it and I have trouble playing those games.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there was like 30 people in line for it at gamestop they got 8 in i was #7

if anyone wants to buy it off me i'm looking for $200 shipped

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Oh god please let this poo poo turn out like all those eBay auctions for launch PS3s

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheScott2K posted:

Oh god please let this poo poo turn out like all those eBay auctions for launch PS3s

the sad thing is i kind of want it but i can't pass up a extrqa $140

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

:byewhore:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not going to sell it to a goon, pointless. Going to sell it on e-bay.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

$200, huh? Well gently caress you. I'll sell mine for $250.

Serious post: the controllers might sell for as much as the console on the secondary market. A savvy seller will take the controller from the system and sell that and then use a Wii controller.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii classic controller spikes in value due to the scarcity.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The NES classic supports wiimotes?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waltzing Along posted:

$200, huh? Well gently caress you. I'll sell mine for $250.

Serious post: the controllers might sell for as much as the console on the secondary market. A savvy seller will take the controller from the system and sell that and then use a Wii controller.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii classic controller spikes in value due to the scarcity.

Hmmm thats a good idea.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dr Cheeto posted:

The NES classic supports wiimotes?

It supports the classic controller, which you could plug into a wiimote. Plus that one has extra buttons that apparently can be used to reset the system.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Got mine (well, my son's) this morning at GameStop. Drove by Target and the line was already around the corner of the building. Went to a little GameStop tucked away in a shopping center down the road and there were only two ladies waiting: a mother and a grandmother wanting one for the kids/grandkids. They said they'd called the night before and confirmed they'd have 10 (this somehow turned into 9 probably after the GameStop employee got one for themselves) and were opening an hour early. Sweet, I was #3. Soon enough more people showed up, saying they'd been in line at Target and they'd only had like, 6, and everyone else had to go. Unfortunately they only had 2 of the extra controllers, and the ladies in front of me got them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Rocky and Bullwinkle was old as gently caress when I watched it as a kid and I still liked it

As long as the old poo poo's not super boring kids can probably get into it

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Rocky and Bullwinkle was old as gently caress when I watched it as a kid and I still liked it

As long as the old poo poo's not super boring kids can probably get into it

I have no doubt my son will love this, and he's 4. Two buttons, no analog sticks, reset button. My only reservations are the stupid short cable. I wonder how long the AC adapter's cord is.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Imagined posted:

I have no doubt my son will love this, and he's 4. Two buttons, no analog sticks, reset button. My only reservations are the stupid short cable. I wonder how long the AC adapter's cord is.

it's USB powered so as long as a USB cord you have. the included one is very small also same with the HDMI

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
If I don't get a classic I don't get a classic but Nintendo goddamn well better make enough Switches

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

it's USB powered so as long as a USB cord you have. the included one is very small also same with the HDMI

Well that's nice. Just get a 10 ft HDMI cable and a 10 ft USB cord and he's all set.

Edit: there's also this goofy looking thing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm super boned on the Switch. I'm going to Japan between when the Switch launches and Monster Hunter XX comes out on the 3DS.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Bean posted:

If I don't get a classic I don't get a classic but Nintendo goddamn well better make enough Switches

They're going to actually do preorders for those so keep your eyes open. It might come down to being forced into one of those system bundles with 5 games and a bunch of crappy covers and cases for the system but those are still cheaper than a resell will be.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Gamespot is confirming the Wii U is stopping production. What's in NA now is all there ever will be.

Kiiiiinda tempted to buy one, update it and shove it back in the box just on the off chance my Gamepad or console dies, but I rarely play the thing as it is and use the Pro controller when I do.

Mine is still basically like new, this is just something I wish I'd done with other consoles when they stopped production so I dunno.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Keep it mint in the box and use it for currency in the next few years.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Holy poo poo...these things are selling every couple minutes on Ebay for over $200. WTF is wrong with people.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Holy poo poo...these things are selling every couple minutes on Ebay for over $200. WTF is wrong with people.

Only $200!!! Yes!! I'm gettin one!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waltzing Along posted:

mine isnt selling :qq:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Waltzing Along posted:

They're dumb and opportunistic?

I look forward to picking up the Famicom Mini on Amazon.co.jp with no issue.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Soul Glo posted:

Gamespot is confirming the Wii U is stopping production. What's in NA now is all there ever will be.

Kiiiiinda tempted to buy one, update it and shove it back in the box just on the off chance my Gamepad or console dies, but I rarely play the thing as it is and use the Pro controller when I do.

Mine is still basically like new, this is just something I wish I'd done with other consoles when they stopped production so I dunno.

If you're going to buy an extra you should homebrew it, don't update it.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm keeping mine :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

People are dumb as hell and have lots of disposable income to experience boredom after 3 hours now rather than a month from now

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like some of the auctions are fake anyways.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

go to the other thread dumb gently caress

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why are people buying this thing

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Super No Vacancy posted:

I was happy when I was a child paying Nintendo. Maybe I can be happy again and forgot about (work/mortgage/bills/whatever)!

It won't work.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Super No Vacancy posted:

Nostalgia is a helluva drug

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just sold mine for $185 so yeah people are stupid lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Why not? It's a collection of games from people's childhoods. $60 is impulse buy cheap.

• Locked thread