Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

wuffles posted:

During the sandwich montage we see a guy from that inner circle beat to death over some innocuous poo poo.

Yeah and that would make me feel so secure in my position as a henchman because reasons. I get what you're saying otherwise, devil you know and all, but I didn't see what the guy is providing that's so great. I guess it all depends on the conjecture you mentally construct from some vague lines of dialogue.

wuffles posted:

what if they were unwilling peons working for "points" and those were photos of their friends and family that they were forced to leave up there by Negan's 'lieutenants'?

"Just following orders". It's a problem in any war that some of the foot soldiers aren't believers in the cause, whatever that cause may be, but you still have to overcome them. War is hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

screamin and creamin posted:

Yeah and that would make me feel so secure in my position as a henchman because reasons. I get what you're saying otherwise, devil you know and all, but I didn't see what the guy is providing that's so great. I guess it all depends on the conjecture you mentally construct from some vague lines of dialogue.

He's not providing job security, only order (note his emphasis on rules). And what he brings is a cult of personality and a willingness to enforce that order by whatever means. He's providing stability, not security. I don't think I'm really coloring outside the lines here based on what they've shown.

screamin and creamin posted:

"Just following orders". It's a problem in any war that some of the foot soldiers aren't believers in the cause, whatever that cause may be, but you still have to overcome them. War is hell.

I think you misunderstand. If what I'm speculating there is true, they weren't just killing foot soldiers--they were potentially killing the equivalent of POWs/civilians they mistook for soldiers.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My only big question is how did Negan even get the first guy to join him? You'd think he'd start with someone tough and intimidating, like himself, but someone like that would probably straight-up kill him and take his poo poo if Negan didn't do it first. If it was a former Rick, then they probably would never be 100% loyal to him and would either run away or stab him in the back.

I just don't get how he even got any kind of "inner circle" to begin with, especially since the show's only taken place over the course of a few years since the start of the outbreak.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

King Vidiot posted:

My only big question is how did Negan even get the first guy to join him? You'd think he'd start with someone tough and intimidating, like himself, but someone like that would probably straight-up kill him and take his poo poo if Negan didn't do it first. If it was a former Rick, then they probably would never be 100% loyal to him and would either run away or stab him in the back.

I just don't get how he even got any kind of "inner circle" to begin with, especially since the show's only taken place over the course of a few years since the start of the outbreak.

I don't know if they ever get into it in the comic. I'm on the fence if I want them to show the "Secret Origins of Negan--REVEALED!!" because if they humanize him like The Governor it'll take away from the existence of Negan as a Force of Nature.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

I've never seen the comic. I think that makes me like a loving special snowflake.

So I played the "DEAD KENNEDYS - Too Drunk Too gently caress" on repeat. It worked for a while, but I was just out in the garden kinda chilling and looking at the sky and the clouds and poo poo, then found myself humming loving EASY STREET in my head.

Easy Street :xbone:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrIkPjHLlGU

:(

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Blow posted:

Easy Street :xbone:

We'll be breaking out the good champagne, we're sittin' pretty on the gravy train :getin:

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I'm dancing to this song now. I can't stop singing along with it.

All this discussion about the logistics of Negan taking over is a little silly at this point. Maybe he just put on some orange facepaint and a blonde toupee.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 9, 2016

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Von_Doom posted:

All this discussion about the logistics of Negan taking over is a little silly at this point. Maybe he just put on some orange facepaint and a blonde toupee.

I made Easy Street my new ringtone on my phone ...

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Astroman posted:

I don't know if they ever get into it in the comic. I'm on the fence if I want them to show the "Secret Origins of Negan--REVEALED!!" because if they humanize him like The Governor it'll take away from the existence of Negan as a Force of Nature.

From what a friend told me, they're doing a little, like minicomic called 'Here's Negan' about what he was up to when the outbreak started. Turns out in this comic he used to be a coach at a school (I think baseball) and Lucille the bat is named after his wife Lucille, who died from cancer and reanimated at the start of the outbreak.

So at least in the comic, his back story and the Gov's backstory aren't too different. Lose somebody, go unhinged.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Von_Doom posted:

We're doing the literally hitlernagan thing now for trump?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Thanks to the election I can now find Alexandria on a map.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Von_Doom posted:

Clearly everybody fell in line when he drove by their camps in an ice cream van blasting Easy Street.

I don't even think he's punishing Daryl, he just really loves that song and thinks Daryl would like it.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

Clearly everybody fell in line when he drove by their camps in an ice cream van blasting Easy Street.

I don't even think he's punishing Daryl, he just really loves that song and thinks Daryl would like it.

Town Called Malice is a great song. Easy Street is growing on me. Maybe Negan was just a killer DJ who knew how to throw a wicked party. Either way the guy is all right with me now. Call me... Negan.

I still miss Abe and his Abe-isms

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

King Vidiot posted:

That would be the best move. Like Negan's blasting 80s new wave at Darryl thinking he's a redneck who would hate it and he's all "noooo, not more Soft Cell!!!" while secretly grooving.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Von_Doom posted:

Town Called Malice is a great song. Easy Street is growing on me. Maybe Negan was just a killer DJ who knew how to throw a wicked party. Either way the guy is all right with me now. Call me... Negan.

I still miss Abe and his Abe-isms

The Jam rule.

Other than surgically removing the part of my brain where Easy Street is located, I'm gunna just have to play it to death. Maybe my brain will give up and stop playing it in my head.

I kinda like Dwight now. I thought he was a oval office before, but ... like Negan is loving his hot wife. That would make me somewhat incensed.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'm headed to Goodwill to buy a 13" black and white TV with a broken speaker so I can better contribute to this thread.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Negan and Ezekiel's actors each have more enthusiasm and energy individually than the entire cast combined has had in years. I don't care how goofy this season is, I'm into it. :getin:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

mushroom_spore posted:

Negan and Ezekiel's actors each have more enthusiasm and energy individually than the entire cast combined has had in years. I don't care how goofy this season is, I'm into it. :getin:

Yeah Negan's actor especially seems to be having a great time and he's really entertaining to watch. It's nice to see someone having some fun with the zombie apocalypse and is a really refreshing change to Troubled Ex-Cop With a Grizzly Voice Rick Grimes

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, new characters can actually be happy and engaging because we haven't personally watched them suffer through six miserable seasons already.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah Negan's actor especially seems to be having a great time and he's really entertaining to watch. It's nice to see someone having some fun with the zombie apocalypse and is a really refreshing change to Troubled Ex-Cop With a Grizzly Voice Rick Grimes

Negan must be basically the most entertaining character to play ever. He's like a panto villain that also gets to do loaded silences and sex appeal.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

mushroom_spore posted:

Wafflecopper posted:

Absolutely. JDM is amazing. Always liked that guy... he just oozes natural charisma. Negan would have sucked if anyone else played him but there is just something you like despite him being and utter bastard. Like that goon said after years of watching the same beleaguered war weary survivors we come across someone who just flourishes in the Apocalypse being himself. I hope they don't try and humanize him too soon.

Major props to Khary Payton. That guy is tremendous. Like Negan, Ezekiel have easily sucked hard in the hands of a poor actor and it would definitely sharked the show. That guy did everything right. That moment with Carol where he let his Kingly mask slide was just so brilliantly acted. Again, like JDM, realms of charisma, and when he dropped the act you could sense that he was glad of it and a little weary of having to be King all the time. You got the sense that this guy really did this for the good of his people. Subtle nuances and ticks that were spot on. Seriously hope this launches that guy into the big time.

We've seen leaders that tried to cling to the old world and people that followed Rick's path. The former leaders of RickTown they made a point of showing they only lived due to dumb luck as much as anything. These two carved out their own worlds and in their own way and they flourished. Possibly more stable and better (In the Kingdom's case at least) than Rick. Injected far more life into this show than has been in ages. Kinda shifting the tone from Apocalypse and surviving the Apocalypse show to a Post Apocalypse show. Good stuff. I'm also glad as I was starting to get a little bored of WD and mainly keeping up to watch evolution of a few characters.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Can we please change the title, I don't need that song back in my head every time I browse TVIV.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

King Vidiot posted:

Fascists are are a real thing, check them out :shrug:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

GobiasIndustries posted:

No doubt about that, but Negan is around armed men all the time, men he broke. Not a single one of them was willing to give up his life to have revenge? None that lost everything he loved? We can argue all along how that would create a power vacuum and things might get worse and all that but if I was that Dwight fellow Negan would have been toast a long time ago and we'd see what happened next.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah no one saying fascism doesn't exist, but fascists don't come into power by going to an army base and beating all of the soldiers up. It just seems unrealistic to get into power by seemingly everyone hating you. Most dictators have fans that absolutely wanted them in power.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

He could've gotten there through charisma and circumstance, and then started to maintain it using violence and the power base he'd already built. At this point it has momentum and a cult.

I dunno it's not that big a stretch and of all the frustrating logical gymnastics it takes to enjoy this show, a brutal dickhead like Negan having a gang isn't really one of them to me.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

No doubt about that, but Negan is around armed men all the time, men he broke. Not a single one of them was willing to give up his life to have revenge? None that lost everything he loved? We can argue all along how that would create a power vacuum and things might get worse and all that but if I was that Dwight fellow Negan would have been toast a long time ago and we'd see what happened next.

I didn't read the comics and i'm only partially paying attention when I watch the show but yeah, it seems like if someone shanked him everyone would clap and then try to come to some sort of compromise with the other groups that was less demanding but probably extortion up until they said gently caress you you know this isn't ok because the world only ended like a few years ago.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

MeLKoR posted:

Why are you assuming he broke all of them? Dwight needed breaking, Daryl obviously needs breaking, but we've no reason to assume the rest of the goon squad needed anything more than the cold beer, warm bed offer.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Vitamin P posted:

Why are you assuming he broke all of them? Dwight needed breaking, Daryl obviously needs breaking, but we've no reason to assume the rest of the goon squad needed anything more than the cold beer, warm bed offer.

That's the other thing, they made a big deal of "nice housing" but in this world everybody could have their own McMansion. I know, this is nitpicking... It's just that for all the zaniness the Kingdom ends up looking more plausible than Negan's band.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR posted:

but if I was that Dwight fellow Negan would have been toast a long time ago and we'd see what happened next.

Yeah I mean if you gave me access to automatic weapons and clear shots at his back all the time, he'd be pretty hosed.

Hell those guys are so pussy whipped if you capped off blowing him away with "I'M IN CHARGE NOW, BITCHES" they'd probably just roll with it since the prospect of not having a commander would scramble their brains.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Negan isn't a facist? :shrug: I mean I suppose on some level, but really he's a modern barbarian warlord.

Honestly if you want to look for the closest real world example, I recommend checking out some real world drug cartels.

Eccentric leader with bizarre, ridiculous dress style - Check
Insanely brutal murders to put people in line - Check
Strange cult-like paramilitary environment - Check
A big focus on taking trophies of murders to keep people in line - Check

I should note all of this is why a Cartel could have been an awesome Walking Dead enemy until Fear came along and made them a dozen loving idiots that are cool with people mouthing off to them constantly. But it's still the closest comparison to Negan.

ED: Also what Negan is effectively doing, right down to a name like The Saviors, is running a shakedown protection racket like the mafia. It's pretty dumb if he broke ALL his people, but his behavior isn't too far off.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 12, 2016

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Maybe if you'd shoot him in the back you wouldnt get the cold beer offer?

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think Negan is boring as hell and was sick of him before ep 1 ended, not really sure what people see in the character tbh

Also the actor skips leg day and his tiny lil legs n butt are adorable

Parity warning fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 12, 2016

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
At least Negan doesn't condone rape; that's a plus and frankly more than I'd have expected from these particular writers.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astrofig posted:

At least Negan doesn't condone rape; that's a plus and frankly more than I'd have expected from these particular writers.

That was a thing in the comics too. I think it was to help differentiate him from the Governor

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Astrofig posted:

At least Negan doesn't condone rape

nah he just commandeers peoples wives as sex slaves

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Orange Red Bull posted:

nah he just commandeers peoples wives as sex slaves

Yeah, it is absolutely still rape. I doubt the women feel sexually liberated and are just choosing who to have a good time with, as opposed to fearing for their safety every time they are approached by the men Negan allows to visit them.

I wouldn't be surprised if OmegaGoon Kirkman thought it was actually more healthy than not though.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

if the governor was a common rapist then negan is ISIS

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Negan might not openly allow rape, but he definitely allows what basically amounts to sex slavery. :shrug: "Be in my harem or I will kill you" isn't really what most would consider full consent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is anyone using the AMC Livestream to watch this? Because it is being a particularly laggy piece of poo poo tonight.