Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dexo posted:

To be fair him blowing that save wasn't on him at all. Like Joe Maddon burned that dude hard. And then he came back out and pitched a good inning when he had absolutely nothing. He had to throw like 10 straight sliders and got people out.

Not to say he's worth 100 million. But I don't hold game 7 against him.

Oh I agree, it's just that he's still got that "blew game 7 of the WS" thing on his record. And frankly, given his controversial background, I'm glad it happened that way; he's not the Cubs hero but they pulled out the win regardless. Everybody wins! (Except Cleveland.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

I wish I could feel :smug: about Arrieta winning the SS over Adam "Doubles" Wainwright and Madison "DON'T LOOK AT ME" Bumgarner, but instead I'm just have a sense of mild irritation and disappointment :smith:

e. Also :lol: at Bryant winning the Hank Aaron Award but not the Silver Slugger.

I mean, Arrieta's a deserving choice. I'm not knocking his hitting ability. Looking at their 2016 stats it's really a question of consistency at the plate versus hitting a really disproportionate amount of doubles.

Arrieta:

AB: 65. H: 17. 2B: 2. 3B: 1. HR: 2. RBI: 7. BA: .262. OBP: .304. SLG: .415. OPS: .720. OPS+: 91. oWAR: 0.8.

Wainwright

AB: 69. H: 14. 2B: 8. 3B: 1. HR: 2. RBI: 18. BA: .226. OBP: .250. SLG: .484. OPS: .734. OPS+: 90. oWAR: 0.9.

My complaint is really that I like Adam Wainwright so much, have never been overly fond of Jake and now there's his bullshit Twitter to consider. Silver Slugger would have been a nice feather in Waino's cap, particularly since he's already got two Gold Gloves and will likely never win the Cy Young. I'm hopeful that this year is just a bump in the road and he has another 5-6 quality years left on him, but given the unsustainability of this year's hitting and his otherwise downward projection I'm worried that the only remaining "big" award he potentially has left is the Clemente (which he really should win at some point).

In more general speculation, what does everyone think their team will be doing in trading? In the Cardinals' case I'm curious what they could haul in if they overreacted to not winning the division and went all-in. Let's assume their untouchable core is Wainwright, Martinez, Reyes, Carpenter, Diaz, Piscotty, Molina and Oh. I'll set aside the players who would only be moved in a blockbuster trade like Wong, Siegrist, Rosenthal and Wacha. Leake and Broxton have inexplicable no-trade clauses. Current injuries make Zach Duke, Tyler Lyons and likely Seth Maness considered unavailable. That would leave the following possible trade pieces from the 40-man:

Pitchers:
Matt Bowman
Tim Cooney
Jaime Garcia
Marco Gonzales
Lance Lynn
Miguel Socolovich
Sam Tuivailala
Luke Weaver

Position Players:
Carson Kelly
Brayan Pena
Matt Adams
Greg Garcia
Jedd Gyorko
Jhonny Peralta
Jose Martinez
Randal Grichuk
Tommy Pham

The rotation seems almost too full right now but the Cardinals need some backup and bullpen length, as well as insurance in case Wacha's shoulder remains too fragile to handle a full season of starting or Reyes hasn't been stretched out enough. I think the only experienced starter you'd see them move would be Jaime Garcia unless they were getting cost-controlled talent at a premium spot with Luke Weaver as well. Carson Kelly is likely considered too valuable in case Yadi's knees explode and Grichuk is one of the few hitters with power we still have. I expect they'll keep Greg Garcia around for his utility but if they can find any takers on Peralta since he's only due to make $10M I'd expect them to move him with the emergence of Diaz. Matt Adams is most likely dealt to whomever will take him, likely an AL team, for whatever return he can bring. That means you're looking at a franchise that will likely be looking to move at least Adams, Peralta and Garcia and would probably be willing to throw in Gyorko or even Weaver if the price were right. They need a CF more than anything else right now; what would the best haul they could get for that be? Am I dreaming to hope that might be enough to pull in Kiermaier?

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Atomizer posted:

Oh I agree, it's just that he's still got that "blew game 7 of the WS" thing on his record. And frankly, given his controversial background, I'm glad it happened that way; he's not the Cubs hero but they pulled out the win regardless. Everybody wins! (Except Cleveland.)

Chapman got the win.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Does Bartolo still have anything left in the tank? I'm optimistic about Dickey but I dunno.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/797094697961422848

:smith:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Does Bartolo still have anything left in the tank? I'm optimistic about Dickey but I dunno.

Not really. He probably should have walked away.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

New York hero Big Bart signing with the Braves makes sense, the Braves need someone to stopgap

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Armitage posted:

Not really. He probably should have walked away.

Jokes on us he can barely walk

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Are the Braves trying to make the oldest rotation, then?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2VEg9iaYGs

Someone made Lego highlights of game 7

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

this sucks. why are cool pitch dudes going to the racism team? i cant cheer for them now :(

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Bartolo's gonna break 500 lbs by the time Atlanta soul food gets done with him.

(Matt Kemp will immediately look into a pitching career.)

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
Does this mean there will be a Waffle House at the new stadium?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Bartolo Colon's physical will be performed by Dr Pepper

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Bartolo Colon's physical will be performed by Dr Pepper

Pepsi products are unwelcome in Atlanta.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

ego symphonic posted:

Dr. Pepper is independent

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

ego symphonic posted:

In the burbs anything goes.

Edit: subscribed

elentar fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 11, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

https://twitter.com/noahsyndergaard/status/797100165110730752

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

I love this.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Explosionface posted:

Are the Braves trying to make the oldest rotation, then?

Braves just want dudes they can sign to one year deals and potentially flip at the deadline for prospects.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Lourdes Gurriel, Jr., is a Blue Jay. Cool, I guess.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
He basically is immediately the Jays best prospect, right? I'm okay with this.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/797129913799241728

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chexoid posted:

He basically is immediately the Jays best prospect, right? I'm okay with this.

Vlad jr.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Hand Knit posted:

Lourdes Gurriel, Jr., is a Blue Jay. Cool, I guess.

Damnit

Now the Astros are stuck with the lovely Gurriel for no reason

e: Just 7/22 for Lourdes? WTF Luhnow you couldn't beat that?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 11, 2016

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Intruder posted:

There was only one team in the bidding not ruled by Trump.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Damnit

Now the Astros are stuck with the lovely Gurriel for no reason

I thought the consensus was that Yulieski was actually the better player, but his age limited his ceiling.

I kind of wanted the Yankees to get him but I'm not too broken up about this, he's not Yoan Moncada 2.0 or anything.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I thought the consensus was that Yulieski was actually the better player, but his age limited his ceiling.

I kind of wanted the Yankees to get him but I'm not too broken up about this, he's not Yoan Moncada 2.0 or anything.

My understanding was that Yulieski was more the known quantity but with his age he is probably on the downslope already, while Lourdes has a much higher ceiling that he's yet to reach so he's more of a risk

Also the chatter was that the Astros signed Yuli in part to attract Lourdes to the team

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Jays are also apparently interested in Josh Reddick once Bautista turns down their QO. He was on my wishlist... I like him and a few more lefties would do them good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

owns

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Berzerker posted:

Jays are also apparently interested in Josh Reddick once Bautista turns down their QO. He was on my wishlist... I like him and a few more lefties would do them good.

I read the Astros are interested in Reddick as well. It makes sense since there are like one or two lefties on the team and one switch hitter. Same reason they're interested in Beltran (ugh), McCann (ugh) and apparently Brett Gardner?

I assume Preston Tucker will get another shot so he and Tony Kemp would be the only lefties with Marwin Gonzalez the only switch hitter. Unless I'm forgetting someone

Or they could bring Valbuena back to play 1B

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 11, 2016

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Paul Zuvella posted:

As a person who firmly believes Zach Britton should have been the Cy Young winner:

a: Pitcher WAR is a bad stat for all pitchers, not just relievers.

b: Unlike the MVP, which has 'most valuable' right in the name, Cy Young is simply an award for the best pitcher in the league. Obviously how you judge this depends person to person, but this is why relievers winning Cy Young awards is not as crazy as a not very valuable player winning the MVP in 2016.

This will be controversial on this forum, but the MVP should go to the best overall offensive player in the league, regardless of the team he plays for. This "it should go to the best player on the best team" notion is garbage.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Braves are trying to be these guys except with pitchers: https://www.facebook.com/OldFriendsSeniorDogSanctuary/?

I'd adopt Dickey or Bartolo

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

canadianclassic posted:

Braves are trying to be these guys except with pitchers: https://www.facebook.com/OldFriendsSeniorDogSanctuary/?

I'd adopt Dickey or Bartolo

Obviously Braves fans should start buying 2017 World Series tickets now with the young and versatile duo of RA Dickey and Bartolo Colon.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Did Buehrle ever officially retire? If not, I think we all know what's coming next.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

im assuming that gurriel contract allows him to opt into arb so other teams probably didnt want to make a significant money investment in case he sucks

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://twitter.com/carcelmousineau/status/797169626719420416
https://twitter.com/DfineNrmLC/status/797165268736897024

I don't feel particularly optimistic about this move. It will probably take another fairly significant addition (on top of Edwin) to keep the Jays a contender next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I will take almost anything to avoid the ultimate despair universe where Upton and Smoak are the replacements for Bautista and EE.

• Locked thread