Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

OwlFancier posted:

I really really enjoy the IJN line up to the isokaze but I just bought a minekaze and I'm having a dire time with it, do they just get really bad at higher tiers?

I'm a poo poo DD captain, but I find my minekaze games are feast or famine. The guns are pretty useless due to the horrible tracking speed, so I have to rely entirely on the torpedoes. I don't have a concealment expert captain so I just barely have to enter visibility to launch my torpedoes, my usual play is to try and get just within torpedo range, dump all 3 sets, and immediately get back into concealment. Sometimes it works, often it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

The portrait for commander seagal looks really intense.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The Minekaze is also rather good, I sealclub often in my Fujin (which is basically a minekaze that is actually a bit slower). You just have to know how to hover outside your range and put yourself in the best position to torp, which is ahead of your target and where you can put torpedoes into their path of travel at a 90 degree angle.

The Mutsuki starts the bad part of the IJN line, with it and the Hatsuharu having much longer reloads and much more detectable torps. It gets decent again with the Fubuki, but the Kagero and Shimakaze struggle to compete with their counterparts, as the US DD's are able to very effectively stealth torp at the Benson, and outstrip the IJN with their much stealthier torps at T9 and T10, on top of their other numerous advantages (maneuverability, utility, guns, AA, etc).

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Thanks for paying for all the extinguishers i'll ever need for the foreseeable future, WG???

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Just played my first two games in the neptune. Hory shet, pisssssssss. Doing 8km salvos to bbs at 18km, every 5 seconds? Now if only the shells were slightly faster.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

The Mutsuki starts the bad part of the IJN line, with it and the Hatsuharu having much longer reloads and much more detectable torps. It gets decent again with the Fubuki, but the Kagero and Shimakaze struggle to compete with their counterparts, as the US DD's are able to very effectively stealth torp at the Benson, and outstrip the IJN with their much stealthier torps at T9 and T10, on top of their other numerous advantages (maneuverability, utility, guns, AA, etc).

I should just sell my Mutsuki and re-buy Minekaze until the new DD lines come out, shouldn't I?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Did they say what special stuff is happening on the NA server for Armistice Day? Havent really had my ear to the ground the past week or so.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
My second super container contained 5 million credits. I won't turn my nose up at that. :tipshat:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

I really really enjoy the IJN line up to the isokaze but I just bought a minekaze and I'm having a dire time with it, do they just get really bad at higher tiers?

The Minekaze just isn't that much of an improvement over the Isokaze to deal with the caliber of ships it will face.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

The Minekaze just isn't that much of an improvement over the Isokaze to deal with the caliber of ships it will face.

With the exception of the Kiev at T7, you're the fastest thing in any of the tiers you can see - by a fair margin - and only have a 0.1 km increase in detectability over the Isokaze. Isokaze isn't even the fastest ship in its own tier. Minekaze is a huge improvement over the Isokaze, you just don't get as many brand new players who are still clueless.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Lord Koth posted:

With the exception of the Kiev at T7, you're the fastest thing in any of the tiers you can see - by a fair margin - and only have a 0.1 km increase in detectability over the Isokaze. Isokaze isn't even the fastest ship in its own tier. Minekaze is a huge improvement over the Isokaze, you just don't get as many brand new players who are still clueless.

For the Minekaze, you get the face tier 7 ships, while the Isokaze will only see tiers 4 and 5. Its not that the Minekaze is bad, its just it can see things that can make playing it a lot more difficult.
But really, the Isokaze's strength is getting into matches full of T3 and T4 battleships drive in straight lines and carriers will never send a fighter to spot a DD.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
I love the Minekaze, actually I believe that I'm never going to sell it. You have to take it for what it is, a torpedo boat with guns for ineffective self defense.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Torpedo boats are, by their very nature, inconsistent since torpedoes usually require the enemy team to either not expect them or be completely oblivious rather than your personal ability to dictate an engagement. However, a good salvo or two can turn a game around completely. For me, there's nothing as satisfying as sinking a battleship from full with torpedoes, but I perform far better in USN and VMF gunboats due to the fact that they can control the field of battle far more effectively than IJN DDs can. That said, Isokaze, Minekaze, and Fubuki are excellent destroyers.

On the topic of destroyers, the German ones look interesting, if a bit strange. Seems like another gunboat line?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Heartcatch posted:

On the topic of destroyers, the German ones look interesting, if a bit strange. Seems like another gunboat line?

Historically German destroyers were pseudo light cruisers, over sized and over gunned, much like the Russian destroyers we already have except with 5.9" guns

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Historically, yes. This is Wargaming we speak of, however.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Heartcatch posted:

Historically, yes. This is Wargaming we speak of, however.

Well the ships in game have to meet the general form and function of the historical ships, even if the stats are pulled from a magic hat; German destroyers were long, heavy, and had big ol' guns stacked on them with not many torpedoes.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

When does this ranked season end? I don't think I have enough time left to make it to rank 1.

nodm
Jul 17, 2011
On the EU website it says Season 5 runs until Monday , November 14 at 06:30 CET, its probably the same on NA.
I need 12 stars for R1 and will have a best a few hours to play until then, so unless I get a terrific win streak I don't think I'll make it.

nodm fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 11, 2016

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
When strategically deployed, the Minekaze's guns can be very effective. The surprise factor of a 4-shell, 2000 damage volley has caused many a US DD to flee an otherwise easy cap.

Also when knife fighting other DDs, hold your torpedoes longer than you think you need. Three times out of four the opposing DD will launch from 3+km out, guaranteeing a miss and allowing me an easy lay up.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Most times, this game makes me loving hate life, other times, it's really good

An epicenter game where pubbies actually cooperated and swept around the outer ring like Genghis Khan's barbarian hordes :black101:

The container I got from that win :getin:

replay here

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 11, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

First battle of the day was 8 battleships per team, what a great sign for the rest of the weekend :suicide:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Zao drivers, do you use AFT or DE on the captain? I've been using AFT mostly because fire chance is already good at 18% and it gives a little boost to AA, especially since the captain jumps back and forth between the Atago. But watching Chase's video today, he was making it out like DE was a must for starting more fires. :black101:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

MoraleHazard posted:

Zao drivers, do you use AFT or DE on the captain? I've been using AFT mostly because fire chance is already good at 18% and it gives a little boost to AA, especially since the captain jumps back and forth between the Atago. But watching Chase's video today, he was making it out like DE was a must for starting more fires. :black101:

You can get that chance up to 23% with DE+the two Fire Chance flags.

That's a lot of fires :kingsley:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

While I can't say I've tried both builds, as I do not feel like spending the doubloons to go back and forth, I use AFT for my Zao captain as well. That additional 3% of fire really should not be a particularly significant increase in number of fires started over the base 19% chance (unless the stats are lying), and I generally use the two flags that increase fire chance to get it up to 21% anyways.

Meanwhile, Zao (and Ibuki for that matter) actually does have significant long-range AA unlike previous IJN cruisers, especially fully boosted and with Defensive Fire active, so I prefer pushing my range out further to start knocking down incoming planes faster. Similarly I tend to run the AA range extension module in slot 2 over the dispersion module, because a -7% decrease in dispersion works out to a mere 11m decrease at 18.8 km. Given you're generally only going to be shooting HE at max range, having your shots not necessarily hit exactly where you aimed is fine as long as they still hit the ship, and ships are large enough at T8+ that those 11m are very rarely actually going to make a difference.

Are you going to match a fully AA specced Des Moines or Hindenburg? Of course not, but if they're not fully AA speccing you're going to come awfully darn close (and exceed a Hindenburg not running Defensive Fire either). It is extremely unpleasant for CV aircraft to come near you, and you will generally knock down seaplanes quickly as well - and given your air detectability is only 0.2 km higher than your actual AA range, a seaplane that spots you behind a hill will generally be gone soon thereafter.

^^^edit: 24%, actually.:science: Still not a terribly statistically significant difference.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 11, 2016

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I'm going to give that AA mod a try. I'm seeing more CV's these days and with the changes to repair costs, I'm going to start playing my T10 more.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

While I can't say I've tried both builds, as I do not feel like spending the doubloons to go back and forth, I use AFT for my Zao captain as well. That additional 3% of fire really should not be a particularly significant increase in number of fires started over the base 19% chance (unless the stats are lying), and I generally use the two flags that increase fire chance to get it up to 21% anyways.

Meanwhile, Zao (and Ibuki for that matter) actually does have significant long-range AA unlike previous IJN cruisers, especially fully boosted and with Defensive Fire active, so I prefer pushing my range out further to start knocking down incoming planes faster. Similarly I tend to run the AA range extension module in slot 2 over the dispersion module, because a -7% decrease in dispersion works out to a mere 11m decrease at 18.8 km. Given you're generally only going to be shooting HE at max range, having your shots not necessarily hit exactly where you aimed is fine as long as they still hit the ship, and ships are large enough at T8+ that those 11m are very rarely actually going to make a difference.

^^^edit: 24%, actually.:science: Still not a terribly statistically significant difference.

I agree with this 100%.

Demolition Expert IMO is far more useful on ships with a lower base Fire Chance but higher RoF. Moskva (all Russian cruisers from T6 actually), Des Moines, Hindenberg, Atlanta, USN & Russian DDs are all far better off with DE than Zao. And a Zao without AFT and the AA range mod really is easy pickings for those admittedly rare cases where you both get a CV match and the CV finds you.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lord Koth posted:

A 5% jump in fire chance is very significant because fire chance is calculated per-shell. If all 12 of your shells hit, DE will give you a real boost to starting at least one fire. Someone better at math than me would have to run the numbers to know exactly what that is.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
19% chance of fire across 12 guns gives you a ~92.02% chance that at least one shell will cause a fire.
22% chance of fire across 12 guns gives you a ~94.92% chance that at least one shell will cause a fire.

Keep in mind that this is basically simulating all 12 shells hitting the same fire zone of a ship and is just using the raw fire chance across x number of guns. The actual formula Wargaming uses is a bit more complex and changes based on the tier of ship you're hitting. It's harder to set higher tier ships on fire due to that.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 11, 2016

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Got to rank 3, promptly fell back to rank 4 again after some truly bizarre games featuring battleships that would gently caress off to the edge off the map and do god knows what, Fubukis without concealment modules and premium smokes and all kinds of bizarre suicides. :negative:

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 11, 2016

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

TheFluff posted:

Got to rank 3, promptly fell back to rank 4 again after some truly bizarre games featuring battleships would gently caress off to the edge off the map and do god knows what, Fubukis without concealment modules and premium smokes and all kinds of bizarre suicides. :negative:

I got 2 wins out of 9 last night before I decided to turn in. I don't know why but I just seem to get runs like that sometimes, no matter what I do my team refuses to win over and over again.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Why do I even want to get to rank 1 again? Doing it one time doesnt even get you anything cool does it?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/thisisseriousnojokeurls/
Veteran's day is a sale on the Indianapolis (not really, only the bundles are discounted, but suffer from being bundles). There's also a doubloon discount on T8 ships (Atago and Kutuzov, basically), as well as a credit discount for T8 tech tree ships.

Also, we get the same repeatable mission as the EU. Get top 5 XP in a win, get a Dragon flag. Very good mission, as Dragon flags as extremely valuable.

Edit: Achieving Rank 1 once does nothing special, just awards you the Jolly Roger. 2nd time gets you Jolly Roger 2, 3rd time gets you the Flint and another Jolly Roger type I think.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 11, 2016

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So I think they messed with the drop rates for super containers.

After getting 3 of the things in the first 4 days, I've gotten none taking 3 crates a day for a week.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

For the Minekaze, you get the face tier 7 ships, while the Isokaze will only see tiers 4 and 5. Its not that the Minekaze is bad, its just it can see things that can make playing it a lot more difficult.
But really, the Isokaze's strength is getting into matches full of T3 and T4 battleships drive in straight lines and carriers will never send a fighter to spot a DD.

Yeah this I think is what I'm experiencing, the isokaze is probably the best ship I've played at T4, whereas in the T5 range I'm facing a whole shitload of new stuff that's all fierce as hell, also the isokaze seems to have substantially better guns, even being a lovely japanese destroyer in terms of guns, the minekaze handles like a really bad cruiser without any of the caliber.

I already rely on the torps because that's what I did in the isokaze, but torp wise it's not a huge improvement over the isokaze, if at all.

Essentially I'm sailing a slightly faster isokaze against way better ships.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Probably not, some people have just gotten lucky as gently caress. I've opened 61 so far (or ~2 almost every single day since it started, with 3 on a number as well) and only seen 2 supercontainers despite every single one of those picks being Luck containers. Then you have people in this thread alone that have seen like 5+.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah this I think is what I'm experiencing, the isokaze is probably the best ship I've played at T4, whereas in the T5 range I'm facing a whole shitload of new stuff that's all fierce as hell, also the isokaze seems to have substantially better guns, even being a lovely japanese destroyer in terms of guns, the minekaze handles like a really bad cruiser without any of the caliber.

I already rely on the torps because that's what I did in the isokaze, but torp wise it's not a huge improvement over the isokaze, if at all.

Essentially I'm sailing a slightly faster isokaze against way better ships.

You must have simply adapted to the Isokaze's guns then, because Minekaze's guns are the same or significantly better in every respect. I mean sure, they're still pretty bad since it's a low tier IJN destroyer, but the shell velocity and floatiness of them are much improved over the incredibly lovely shells Isokaze gets. You are correct that the torpedoes are the exact same, but they're still perfectly fine through T7 - and better than anything the T6 Mutsuki gets. Turning circle is very slightly larger (20m difference), but rudder shift on Minekaze is also over half a second faster.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 11, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

"Fun and engaging mechanics."

One bomb hit, the very first thing to hit me in the match. My only consolation is that this wasn't my first win.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Use those det flags soldier.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Armada video for Perth is up - she's got 10/90s smoke, hydro, HE, AP, and torpedoes with RN style single launches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92pLrceIJaQ

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 11, 2016

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

NTRabbit posted:

The Armada video for Perth is up - she's got 10/90s smoke, repair party, hydro, HE, AP, and torpedoes with RN style single launches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92pLrceIJaQ

So its a Leander with HE?

Not sure if I like the premium UK ships having HE while nothing else in the line does, seems to give them a pretty huge advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

You must have simply adapted to the Isokaze's guns then, because Minekaze's guns are the same or significantly better in every respect. I mean sure, they're still pretty bad since it's a low tier IJN destroyer, but the shell velocity and floatiness of them are much improved over the incredibly lovely shells Isokaze gets. You are correct that the torpedoes are the exact same, but they're still perfectly fine through T7 - and better than anything the T6 Mutsuki gets. Turning circle is very slightly larger (20m difference), but rudder shift on Minekaze is also over half a second faster.

The minekaze seems far slower to track and the range is much shorter though that may be lack of upgrades, but tracking speed and range on something that only survives by turning and kiting are probably the worst characteristics to lose.