Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

monster on a stick posted:

BWM is taking a check for $200K in diamonds.

BWM is taking a check for anything from someone who's just had several other checks bounce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
But that is what the $25 returned check fee is for.

Agile Sumo
Sep 17, 2004

It could take teams quite a bit of time to master.
Rappers should have more songs about saving money.. $ave Dat Money https://g.co/kgs/z3YOMA

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Mods need to make the lyrics of that song the background of this thread.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Agile Sumo posted:

Rappers should have more songs about saving money.. $ave Dat Money https://g.co/kgs/z3YOMA

What DOES the ice cube cost?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
We're talking about Everest today in business school. Everest is Bad With Money.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
And life.

Mostly life.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I like to think of Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain as an abstract representation of the average Everest expedition.

Edit: I just remembered the scene where everyone pushes their fat stacks into a fire. This is more accurate than I thought.

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 11, 2016

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I spoke to a Primerica rep at a veteran job fair. They asked me a bunch of questions about my IT experience before I realized that hadn't really said anything about what the job was. They wanted to schedule me for an event at their office where I could ask more questions. Is this 100% a pyramid scheme or do they have any full time employees?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

lampey posted:

I spoke to a Primerica rep at a veteran job fair. They asked me a bunch of questions about my IT experience before I realized that hadn't really said anything about what the job was. They wanted to schedule me for an event at their office where I could ask more questions. Is this 100% a pyramid scheme or do they have any full time employees?

Unless their office is literally the company HQ, I think you know the answer

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If you have to ask, it's a scam. If you're really curious just ask them a basic question about IT and see if they don't just dance around it.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
My bf in high school got recruited by Primerica. It's a pyramid. Run away.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Agile Sumo posted:

And, of course, Thrift Shop.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

lampey posted:

Let's just say you're posting this question in the right thread.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

lampey posted:

Your IT experience is very important because you, my friend are about to own your own business.

But yeah, no legitimate job that isn't a mom & pop operation is vague about job descriptions.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010
Insurance companies will take pretty much anyone with a pulse and an ability to show up at a certain place at a certain time to be an agent. Keep in mind these are 100% commission "jobs" paid on a 1099. You are an "independent" agent running your own business and earn no salary. If you have your resume online somewhere, you will get recruiters from them spamming you.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

And, of course, Thrift Shop.

Singapore version: Save Money by Fizzy Pop. "Duit" (sounds like "do it") is money in Malay.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Kareem posted:

But yeah, no legitimate job that isn't a mom & pop operation is vague about job descriptions.

When you are given a software development job at Facebook you don't get told what your area of work is (mobile app, database infrastructure, web front end, etc). I think it's relatively legit.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

When you are given a software development job at Facebook you don't get told what your area of work is (mobile app, database infrastructure, web front end, etc). I think it's relatively legit.

I'm still not entirely sure Facebook isn't one huge phishing operation.

In this case it's also the exception that proves the rule. No normal job is going to be vague about what you're applying for.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Krispy Kareem posted:

In this case it's also the exception that proves the rule. No normal job is going to be vague about what you're applying for.

That's not what that phrase means :argh:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Krispy Kareem posted:

I work as an R&D scientist, and my job listing was really vague because it's all company confidential. That's pretty common in R&D

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

I worked for a hospital system and the job posting was vague because the department hiring for the position never should have been authorized to hire for it. They lost ownership of it within 6 months of my hiring and it was transferred to a different department.

E: I worded that badly. Had they been transparent about the position, they wouldn't have been able to hire for it because it wasn't their department.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 13, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Fine, there are plenty of legitimate vague job postings. In a Venn diagram not all vague job descriptions are scams, but all MLM jobs are both vague and scams.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Oh no I'm firmly in the camp that vague is a warning sign.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Just fall back on the "if you have to ask" rule.

Do you have to ask if a facebook programming job is a scam?

Do you have to ask if the guy from a company you've never heard of that won't tell you what your job would be is a scam?

I rest my case.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean literally the first sentence of the Primerica wikipedia page has the words "multi-level marketing" in it so yeah :v:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
If you agonize over $10-ish purchases (and dumped Netflix streaming as an unnecessary expense) while still having a decent job and a reasonable emergency/rainy day fund (at least a year in after-tax income saved) does that also mean you are BWM? How do you handle something like that? I

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 13, 2016

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Three-Phase posted:

If you agonize over $10-ish purchases (and dumped Netflix streaming as an unnecessary expense) while still having a decent job and a reasonable emergency/rainy day fund (at least a year in after-tax income saved) does that also mean you are BWM? How do you handle something like that? I

That's an interesting question.

If you spend your life saving for some unforeseen crisis, which never eventuated, you'll be bitter (even by old people standards) that you've wasted the years before not enjoying yourself.

If you are the polar opposite, and burn your money the moment you get it, you'll be completely buggered by an emergency, and be bitter about the years that you frittered your savings away.

Not being the oracle, I can't see the future, so I personally take the middle ground and split my income to enable me to enjoy myself within reason, yet still have a emergency fund.

YMMV.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

If you are fulfilling your savings obligations and meeting all of your budgetary needs, you can buy all the gold, shoes, and possibly even horses you desire.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Do never horse

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Three-Phase posted:

If you like watching TV, paying the $10/mo for Netflix or $12/mo for Hulu is hardly irresponsible. If you pay for TV of some form and never use it, that's BWM.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Assuming you can afford it:

Will you regret having bought it 3 months after buying it?

If yes, don't buy it. If no, knock yourself out.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

That's an interesting question.

If you spend your life saving for some unforeseen crisis, which never eventuated, you'll be bitter (even by old people standards) that you've wasted the years before not enjoying yourself.

If you are the polar opposite, and burn your money the moment you get it, you'll be completely buggered by an emergency, and be bitter about the years that you frittered your savings away.

Not being the oracle, I can't see the future, so I personally take the middle ground and split my income to enable me to enjoy myself within reason, yet still have a emergency fund.

YMMV.

Agreed - agonising over every penny and dying rich but having suffered a miserly existence is definitely BWM

Personally, I have a policy of not cheaping out on essentials (safety, health - e.g. medicine and car tyres) and giving myself a 'pocket money' allowance for luxuries: $5/month when i was poor, $50/month when things got better, etc

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

slap me silly posted:

Do never horse

Sounds like a guy who's never felt the loving embrace of a horse.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Moneyball posted:

Sounds like a guy who's never felt the loving embrace of a horse.

Didn't work out so well for Mr Hands.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

spog posted:

Didn't work out so well for Mr Hands.

to die doing what you love...we should all be so lucky

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Three-Phase posted:

I think a year in after-tax income is a bit excessive as an emergency fund. For me that'd be two years of expenses. That's great if you can do it, but personally I'd rather be investing anything past six months.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 14, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Reddit BWM Grab Bag: House Edition

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2be1pg/family_lending_me_330k_to_buy_a_house_but_it/

quote:

Family lending me $330K to buy a house, but it needs to be paid back right away. Best way to take advantage of such a unique opportunity?

Background: My wife and I bought a house over ten years ago in which we currently live. Four bedroom suburban home in a good neighborhood, two car garage, yard, etc. We're 10 years into our 30 year mortgage. We don't have any other properties, we have little in terms of assets (we own both 10+ year old vehicles outright, combined income = approx. $7500/month, student loan payment = $115/month, credit card debt = $4K). The value of our current home is approx. $325K, existing equity is slightly over $100K. We have two kids, our 1970's house seems to be getting smaller each year, we're looking to upgrade.

The real estate market is HOT in our area right now. Anything worth buying is on the market for only a few hours before multiple offers emerge. When we found a house that worked for us, our extended family facilitated a loan of $330K so we could make a cash offer on the house. (No idea what hoops of fire needed to be leapt through to make it happen, but from one day to the next, we had $330K in our checking acct. Pretty sweet to see that at the ATM.)

The assumption is this: we will purchase the new home outright with cash-in-hand. After that we sell our current home for $325 (which will put about $100K in our pockets. Then we re-finance the new house, use it as collateral and take $230K cash back out of it, leaving us with a new mortgage. This way we can give the family member back $330K.

My question is, in the interest of generating a new revenue stream, what would the logistics be of keeping our current home and renting it out? Given the condition of the market, it looks like we could rent the house for about $2000 per month. Our payment is $1100 per month (including mortgage/taxes/insurance). This seems like it could be a windfall, presuming you could find good tenants and find the time to deal with becoming a "landlord." If this were a consideration, could I still pay back the temporary loan of $330K by refinancing $230K out of the new house, then paying the family back over time to the tune of $900/month from the new rental income? This would take some convincing and negotiation of course, and family may not go for it, but if they did, what would be the best way to secure a strong position in this unique situation? I feel like there is an opportunity which could be overlooked if we buy/sell/refi.

Any other approach not mentioned worth considering?

Thoughts are welcome, thanks in advance ---

BWM Bingo:

1) No assets and existing debt
2) Assumption that family will be okay with paying back 100k loan over long period.
3) Assumption that house will sell for much more than it is assessed.
4) Budgeting future payments assuming 0% vacancy rate on their rental property and no costs as a landlord.

quote:

Can I afford a $550K House?

Hi Guys, looking for your advice.

My wife and I are looking upgrade to our forever home and start a family. Currently, our mortgage is 1400/mo. I bought my house as a foreclosure for 220K in 2010 and we put about 50k into it. I will be lucky to break even but will most likely end up taking a small loss if i sell it. Rent in our area goes for 1900-2100 but im not sure i want to be a landlord.

I currently Make 125,000 + 27,500 annual bonus. I am confident that my income will likely double in the next year or two. My wife makes between 87,500 - 100,000 depending on how much overtime she works. She is going to quit once the baby is born.

We have 150,000K in saved. And another 100,000-150,000 in equity (dependant on how much we can sell house for)

We do / did have substantial student loan debt. When we both graduated from our post-bach programs in 2013 we had approx. 280K in debt. Today i have gotten that down to 79K and was hoping to pay it all off in the next year and a half. I currently put 3250 a month towards the debt and all my bonuses.

We currently save about 3k a month and when I hit a critical mass I dump that money towards the debt as well.

I was hoping to get a house under 500k but in our area, there is really nothing available.

So, I guess my question is how much house can i actually afford?

Updated - ended up buying a different house at 500k - lets hope i can sell my current house and can afford this one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/1ubmsk/what_are_the_pros_and_cons_of_taking_out_a_heloc/

quote:

What are the pros and cons of taking out a HELOC to pay off student loans?

I owe $55k in student loans and I have a super low salary ($47k) because I work in the non-profit sector. I do not qualify for income-based repayment because my husband makes $60k. We own a condo and I was wondering about taking out a HELOC to pay off the student loans. Is this a smart idea? We recently refinanced to 4.5% interest rate and took out $20k to pay off credit card. My student loan interest rate is 6.8%. Here is our current financial situation, if this helps...

TOTAL DEBT: *we now owe $280k on a condo that's worth $350k *$3k combined credit card debt *$10k on a car *$55k student loans

ANNUAL INCOME: *$60k annually from husband's salary *$47k annually from my sucky salary

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/1himm6/south_florida_house_underwater_by_260k_options/

quote:

South Florida House Underwater by $260k - Options?

My friend bought a house in south Florida in 2005 at the peak of the housing bubble for $380,000 as a live-in investment property. She and her husband were new to the country and had no credit history, so they took out an ARM to pay for the house.

After the market crash, her house is now valued at ~$120k. She tried to talk to her bank about the homeowners assistance program, but she was told that her loan was not HUD and she was ineligible for loan modification. They worked out a deal where she pays on $280k of the loan to keep her monthly payments lower, and if she sells the home, she'll have to pay the $100k remaining.

What options does she have? She likes the house, but is now considering letting the bank foreclose and buying a different foreclosed house with cash (although the deals are getting hard to find).

Bonus: 7 years of Law School and no job

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/53uuxj/i_just_graduated_law_school_and_im_280k_in_debt_w/

quote:

I just graduated law school and I'm $280k in debt w/ no job - any and all advice would be helpful

Hello, /r/personalfinance. I'm using a throwaway for obvious reasons.

I recently graduated from law school and passed the bar exam.

I have $244k in federal student loans, $32k in a private student loan, and $4k in credit card debt. I do not have any other debt.

They all become due in December. I'm currently unemployed and have been applying for every legal job within a 100 mile radius for the past month. I graduated near the top of my class from a pretty respectable law school.

Assuming I find a job soon, what type of payments should I be making? Should I consolidate the private and federal loans? If so, how?

I'm extremely overwhelmed. I have no idea what the hell I'm going to do. My parents do not make a lot of money and I only got minimal scholarships throughout my 7 years. My SO just got a job making about $55k/year and neither one of us has any savings. My girlfriend has about $35k in student loan debt and $10k in credit card debt that she is easily making the payments on in large chunks.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spog posted:

Agreed - agonising over every penny and dying rich but having suffered a miserly existence is definitely BWM

Personally, I have a policy of not cheaping out on essentials (safety, health - e.g. medicine and car tyres) and giving myself a 'pocket money' allowance for luxuries: $5/month when i was poor, $50/month when things got better, etc

Very GWM for your kids though, who get to blow all of mean ol' dad's riches the moment they clear probate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Reddit BWM Grab Bag: House Edition

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2be1pg/family_lending_me_330k_to_buy_a_house_but_it/

BWM Bingo:

1) No assets and existing debt
2) Assumption that family will be okay with paying back 100k loan over long period.
3) Assumption that house will sell for much more than it is assessed.
4) Budgeting future payments assuming 0% vacancy rate on their rental property and no costs as a landlord.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/1ubmsk/what_are_the_pros_and_cons_of_taking_out_a_heloc/

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/1himm6/south_florida_house_underwater_by_260k_options/

Bonus: 7 years of Law School and no job

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/53uuxj/i_just_graduated_law_school_and_im_280k_in_debt_w/

:cripes: to all of that.

BWM bingo is still a thing, and I actually have a prize for the winner! What will it be?! :iiam:

I've only received three email requests for cards. So whoever may be interested:

sa.moneyball@gmail.com

Once I get, let's say, 25 entries, I'll send 'em all out.

• Locked thread