Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Iunno about ~mind control~ but it definitely seems to be an attempt at communicating that yayaka was caught off guard by how committed to the uniform she was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I thought it was hosed up how science guy said the other kids were built and how the magical girl mode is a "plugin"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Super No Vacancy posted:

Iunno about ~mind control~ but it definitely seems to be an attempt at communicating that yayaka was caught off guard by how committed to the uniform she was

Oooooooh, on her cheeks. I was misinterpreting that as in like her whole face was getting shaded darker or something? I dunno sorry my bad

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

GorfZaplen posted:

I thought it was hosed up how science guy said the other kids were built and how the magical girl mode is a "plugin"

I like science guy because he provides a very different view of things that we will probably never see much more of. The girls don't care to understand what he's talking about, so they're not going to ask, so we're not going to learn.

I wish he'd get a name already.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
G̸͐̉̆ͯ͑̎̅̓͒͗̾̔ͨͪ̂͋ͫ҉̴̛̩̞̬̰̤͖̙̣̼̻̥͍̥̘͈̜̟̺͞ò̡̘̬̗̜̹͎̣̤̙̘̼͇̱̙̗̞̗̤̀ͣ̀̅ͪ̒ͮ̍̏̈́͐̑ͯ̈͜͞k̴̴̳͎̩͙̍̑ͤ̊ͫͭ͑͂̊͋ĭ͑̉̄͆͏͉̼͉͔̬̥̫͇͕͍̥̗͚̕ͅg̴̢̠͖̺̼̣̦̯̗͍̦̯̠͗̆̊̅̍̍ͧ̓̅̀́͘e̞̰̻̲̤͍̖̺͖͖͉̼̩̫̙̐ͭ͗ͯ́̋̂̊ͯ͂ͧͨ̇̏͗ͧ̚͞n̶ͭ̾̄̈́ͩ́͟͞҉̪̲̖͍̹̣y̅̉͒́̉͌͑ͬ̾̓̇̀͌̀͜҉̨͓̹̠̀o̷̧͍̙̥͚̖̦̮͕͔͍̦̙̲͇͖ͣ͗̄̐ͭ̽͛͆̾͊ͭ̏ͪ́̆̓͛͒̈́̀u̍͛̊̌ͪ͗ͣͭͬ͋̚͢͠҉̴̣̪̻͚̭̰̥͕̼͜

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

yayaka chillin in the back?

if you missed the sexual imagery this week, think about how Class S came about and why the twelfth hour never arrives in this world. now look at the clock tower that's been locked away.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

PENIS

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

You know, I don't get the impression that that's what our heroines are looking for

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Space Flower posted:

if you missed the sexual imagery this week,

Then you're legally blind. :cool:

COME FLAP WITH US

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

No, Cocona, not that situation.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sacrificial Toast posted:

No, Cocona, not that situation.

So quick to cheat on Papika :ohdear:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Cocona, I'm already dokidoki

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Spiritus Nox posted:

So quick to cheat on Papika :ohdear:

Maybe she had some kind of crush on Yayaka before even meeting Papika? She described her relationship with Yayaka as them not exactly being friends, which at the time I took to mean they've known eachother a long time but aren't really close, but I suppose it could mean something else.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Who told me there wouldn't be more transformation scenes? Liars.

Pretty good episode though. Very good at keeping things fresh.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Paperhouse posted:

Maybe she had some kind of crush on Yayaka before even meeting Papika? She described her relationship with Yayaka as them not exactly being friends, which at the time I took to mean they've known eachother a long time but aren't really close, but I suppose it could mean something else.

I think it has a lot more to do with Yayaka's feelings than hers. Pure Illusion worlds seem to be shaped by the first person to step into them, so we had Uexkull's heroic bunny fantasy in Episode 2 and Coconna's fear, resentment, and anger about her own sexuality in Episode 3. Yayaka was there first this ep, and grim, buttoned-down, repressed sexuality fits her way better than it does our main girls.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hmm also the inhabitants are weird unholy robot-hybrids

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
So you know this FLIP FLAP song that makes you FLIP FLAP all day long? The full version is out.

Warning: may cause you to FLIP FLAP even in your sleep.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
That was a very depressing episode that hosed me up a good bit.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
is this show cute + Cool + fun?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ya

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I'm gonna watch it then.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

is this show cute + Cool + fun?

Mostly yes to all three, but be warned that there's more than a little dark poo poo bubbling beneath the surface. That doesn't affect the quality, mind, just the content.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/binobinobi/status/796674221736886272

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Every episode is somehow better than the one before it, holy hell.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well. Lots to unpack in this one. Two main thoughts:

So...why the gently caress were Iro's memories just floating around in PI? And Auntie seems a lot like grandma...

Also, not sure whether the Episode wants me to start thinking that Cocona and Papika and maybe Iro are all aspects of the same person, or if P&C initially taking turns with the different memories before coming together at the end was meant to symbolize Iro struggling to contextualize those harsh and happy experiences with each other. Leaning towards the latter right now.

Edit: I feel stronger about that last point after remembering that the episode's name is Pure Play. P&C playing out someone else's part together.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 10, 2016

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So did P&C actually alter paint girl's memories or just do some Inception-type-stuff? Is PI some sort of collective unconscious deal, with "exits" to people's brains as well as into the real world?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This does feel a bit like the mid-season turn in Uta-Kata too, where it went from bright, vivid experiences to dark and dangerous trials.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XDWVjJ0TQQ

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 10, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Looks like we have further evidence - as if we needed it - that Pure Illusion is built off the human subconscious. Also additional - though not particularly conclusive - evidence for the 'Papika is a being from Pure Illusion created by/from Cocona' theory. At the very least, if they do choose to go that way, we can now say there was foreshadowing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Looks like we have further evidence - as if we needed it - that Pure Illusion is built off the human subconscious. Also additional - though not particularly conclusive - evidence for the 'Papika is a being from Pure Illusion created by/from Cocona' theory. At the very least, if they do choose to go that way, we can now say there was foreshadowing.

Goddddd I just hope Papika doesn't disappear. Would be predictable and depressing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:3:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

neat!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dzhay posted:

So did P&C actually alter paint girl's memories or just do some Inception-type-stuff? Is PI some sort of collective unconscious deal, with "exits" to people's brains as well as into the real world?

It feels more like the latter to me.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

It feels more like the latter to me.

Yeah, that probably makes the most sense. I had been assuming that it's like the TV world in Persona 4, where it's a blank slate until a human inhabits it and then reshapes itself around their subconcious, but there's very little reason to believe that Iro's ever been to PI.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/ninaryo/status/797097167970181120

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
The klan wants the magic rocks to take over the world right? That means PI can probably affect the real world somehow. It's possible they weren't just changing that girl's perspective of events. They might have actually rewritten history in some small way.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Despite the serious subject and somber tone of the episode, I wouldn't go so far as to call it dark, especially considering the way it ended. This was the 'realest' thing Pure Illusion has put them through, in that it put them in a real world setting instead of a fantastic one, and that ended up making it the most frightening and challenging one for them to deal with.

They haven't given Papika a replacement hoverboard. Maybe they decided not to when they found out how she lost the old one.

I don't think this has been posted yet, so here's the music video for the opening theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6v51jfkmC0

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen a few people on twitter who I thought made a little too much of the tone of this episode. It's obviously the 'realest' this show's gotten by a pretty considerable margin, but I didn't see anything there that truly clashes with the fundamental sense of optimism I get from the rest of the show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pavlov posted:

The klan wants the magic rocks to take over the world right? That means PI can probably affect the real world somehow. It's possible they weren't just changing that girl's perspective of events. They might have actually rewritten history in some small way.

We did already have an indication that Pure Illusion can influence the real world - injuries that the girls sustain there carry over when they come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

We did already have an indication that Pure Illusion can influence the real world - injuries that the girls sustain there carry over when they come back.

Bringing stuff in and back, be it items, your body, or memories, are different from stuff you do affecting someone who wasn't present. Rather, this shows that it's not just a gate to another planet or something like that, but rather that it really is some alternate plane of reality directly linked to people's emotions, history etc.

• Locked thread