Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I liked being the geth soldier and running around with wallhacks and fortification, setting everything on fire. Asari pistol for cooldown + barriers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I liked playing as Geth Juggernaut and not helping my team, but casually tanking multiple heavy enemies on gold difficulty like it wasn't a thing.

Bonus points were gotten from equipping the smallest gun I had available and just seeing my teammates pause upon sighting it, them knowing that I was not going to help them and me knowing they knew it.

Good times.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Freezing groups through walls and then detonating them as an N7 Sentinel was the best.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Trast posted:

Sending an massive exhibition to another galaxy isn't that unusual a story in sci-fi. They've even had a few Star Trek pilots written with that in mind. If you look at the Mass Effect universe as being pretty much explored and populated trying to find a new place to fill up makes sense. Story wise it lets them make up a lot of new stuff while bringing enough familiar elements to keep people comfortable.

But the Mass Effect galaxy isn't. There are inactive Relays, whole sections of space that can't be reached because there's no way to get there.

But let's just do a massive construction project and fire it off on a six-hundred year journey, because...

EA is just trying to keep Mass Effect alive and as far away from The End as possible. I am not convinced that setting this in a galaxy completely removed from the normal one, which will either have nothing in common or strange palette swaps of things we already know, is the best idea. However, I'm also not sure what idea they could go with given the sheer insanity of ME3's ending and the response to it.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Milky Moor posted:

But the Mass Effect galaxy isn't. There are inactive Relays, whole sections of space that can't be reached because there's no way to get there.

But let's just do a massive construction project and fire it off on a six-hundred year journey, because...

EA is just trying to keep Mass Effect alive and as far away from The End as possible. I am not convinced that setting this in a galaxy completely removed from the normal one, which will either have nothing in common or strange palette swaps of things we already know, is the best idea. However, I'm also not sure what idea they could go with given the sheer insanity of ME3's ending and the response to it.

Declare the Destroy ending as canon, but they decided to go to Andromeda instead so whatever.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Looks good, but will it be The Sixth Element or Jeaupierre Ascendement?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Milky Moor posted:

You said it yourself: the end was so extreme that the only way to avoid having to deal with it is basically a soft reset by getting as far out as possible. Exploration is an ice excuse to do that and the time skip using characters that wouldn't know about the Reapers would be a good way to avoid having to ever touch those endings again. Short of full retcons, there isn't much other way to keep the setting going in the timeframes they established.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

BexGu posted:

One more step closer to being Farscape.

God I want a Farscape/Mass Effect type game.

Without even touching it, I can tell this game would be twice as good if Ryder was just crazy. In a Vampire: Masquerade kind of way.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Are they still going to do Paragon/Renegade? I hope they leave that as Shepard's 'thing' and give Ryder a different dichotomy. Kirk/Spock or something.

It's been reported there is no paragon or renegade spectrum. I think it was reported the dialogue is more like Dragon Age Inquisition. Different tones you can use that effect personal relationships rather than your own character skills.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I know it wasn't actually a Bioware game but remember how in KOTOR 2 everyone was like "yeah the war ended but I don't remember how/it didn't affect me anyway"? Maybe they should have done that for the beginning of this game. Let the player say how the Reapers were dealt with and then just move on with Andromeda shenanigans.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

AngryBooch posted:

It's been reported there is no paragon or renegade spectrum. I think it was reported the dialogue is more like Dragon Age Inquisition. Different tones you can use that effect personal relationships rather than your own character skills.

That AMA said it reminded him of Alpha Protocol. Four choices of "mood" when you respond. Head, heart, professional, casual.

By the way, I guess it speaks well for Bioware's hopes if an AMA with a game reporter watching a demo still gets people hyped.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Humerus posted:

I know it wasn't actually a Bioware game but remember how in KOTOR 2 everyone was like "yeah the war ended but I don't remember how/it didn't affect me anyway"? Maybe they should have done that for the beginning of this game. Let the player say how the Reapers were dealt with and then just move on with Andromeda shenanigans.

Why does it matter, they're not in the same galaxy.

edit: how would they know anyway.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Trast posted:

Sending an massive exhibition to another galaxy isn't that unusual a story in sci-fi. They've even had a few Star Trek pilots written with that in mind. If you look at the Mass Effect universe as being pretty much explored and populated trying to find a new place to fill up makes sense. Story wise it lets them make up a lot of new stuff while bringing enough familiar elements to keep people comfortable.

I'm completely fine with the reason for all this, but I also would've been fine with them just starting from scratch with a new but similar universe. I don't care about many characters in gaming and I don't have to go back to the same old ones to enjoy a series.

But then I hear poo poo like Cerberus tagged along with the Andromeda and I start to worry real bad. They became the absolute worst part of the Mass Effect universe with so much lost potential and convoluted dumb crap. And now you want to bring them back for 4? Just let them be defeated in Mass Effect 3 and leave them there. You don't HAVE to have a familar human faction to fight.

I'm of the opinion that around Mass Effect 2 the potential of the game universe started dropping off and took a nosedive with 3. That isn't really anyone's fault, mistakes were made, writers changed, EA had deadlines and that's how game development goes. But Bioware have had a long time to get a new story going for this installment and while I know this is all due to the terrible marketing they have going on there are just so many warning signs that they learned nothing from their last outing.

Edit:vvvv Exactly. The ending to Mass Effect 3 was a mess, and kept on being a mess. The further we get from Earth the happier I will be.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 11, 2016

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Why are so many of you so concerned with Andromeda tying into ME3's ending? Do you really want this new game to drag around the corpse of the old one?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I am okay with this.

I'm not. Skyrim is a terrible game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Humerus posted:

Do you expect bioware to take any notes from obsidian's approach to continuity, after they spent the entirety of The Old Republic and its tie-in material retconning anything interesting that happened in The Sith Lords?

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
I know it's just a nickname, but I'm already struggling with taking a character named "Peebee" seriously. Hopefully she's not as Sera-like as she sounds (or like Merrill).

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Milky Moor posted:

Remember what happened the last time someone reactivated some relays and went through? Hello Rachni.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

cyclical posted:

I know it's just a nickname, but I'm already struggling with taking a character named "Peebee" seriously. Hopefully she's not as Sera-like as she sounds (or like Merrill).

The only things I have heard her say are so painfully generic I feel like sera would be an improvement just for having an actual personality. Then again, we know incredibly little.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

The Citadel Council pretty much banned unlocking Relays willy-nilly, doing that was what started the Rachni Wars and Humanity trying to do it started the First Contact War. The AI is a privately funded endeavor that, to me, pretty much says "oh, you won't let us explore the other 99% of the Milky Way? Fine, we'll go to another galaxy and explore/expand there."

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mymla posted:

I'm not. Skyrim is a terrible game.

nah

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

marshmallow creep posted:

The only things I have heard her say are so painfully generic I feel like sera would be an improvement just for having an actual personality. Then again, we know incredibly little.
I'm thinking blue Sera without the accent. However I'm one of the loving weirdos that actually likes Sera so I may not be horribly put off!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

Hoping for a DA2 style "sarcastic" Ryder now, thanks.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

The writers trying to get away from the "It's the end of the world but I need to mine this ore for the widget" mechanic is a good thing in my opinion. On the other hand I was always able to suspend my disbelief because it's a video game and we all want those widgets.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Why are so many of you so concerned with Andromeda tying into ME3's ending? Do you really want this new game to drag around the corpse of the old one?
ME3 made a lot of interesting and significant changes to the lore before the last ten minutes. It just kinda sucks to have those kinds of things blinked out, like...are they gonna re-cure the Krogans and Quarians again?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Mass Effect is a cool setting and it's a shame they basically have to jettison a lot of what was built in order to live up to a stupid ending. They need to just pick one and say gently caress it. Hell, pick one unavailable to the players, Destruction with none of the negatives, release this new ending as a video, be all passive aggressive about how it was forced on them, and then start making the sequels they, their customers, and their parent company want them to make. gently caress, the backlash cant be any worse than what they already experienced.

What's really funny about the whole thing, is that the main complaint most people have about multiple choice ending, that they don't matter, is opposite to the problem here. The endings are just too divergent to work forward from. Basically, if you are going to let the players decide how poo poo goes down, you had better be damned sure you want that game to be the last word in the series.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 12, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Plot twist, the main villain of a Andromeda is actually milky way humanity turned into something completely unrecognizable because using an omnidirectional energy pulse to modify everyone's DNA turned out to be an incredibly bad idea.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Edit:vvvv Exactly. The ending to Mass Effect 3 was a mess, and kept on being a mess. The further we get from Earth the happier I will be.

The original synthesis ending was more than I could ever ask for. I had no problems with my ME3 ending.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Plot twist, the main villain of a Andromeda is actually milky way humanity turned into something completely unrecognizable because using an omnidirectional energy pulse to modify everyone's DNA turned out to be an incredibly bad idea.

A galaxy where APES evolved from MEN??!??

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Khanstant posted:

The original synthesis ending was more than I could ever ask for. I had no problems with my ME3 ending.

what the heck

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Moola posted:

what the heck

Seconded.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Moola posted:

what the heck

the storm over ME3's ending was ridiculous and overblown, and was essentially fine. especially compared to something like say, deus ex: hr. and skyrim is a dull reskin of oblivion full of weird potato face people and horrible gamebryo everything. people who like it a lot have terrible opinions on games, and life.

real adult opinions. :can:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Vanguard isn't doing it, repetitive charging and shotgunning/novaing just doesn't have the appeal I thought it would

Unfortunately I'm not really sure what would have appeal except that I suspect Adept isn't it either, so... suggestions?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Jeza posted:

the storm over ME3's ending was ridiculous and overblown, and was essentially fine. especially compared to something like say, deus ex: hr. and skyrim is a dull reskin of oblivion full of weird potato face people and horrible gamebryo everything. people who like it a lot have terrible opinions on games, and life.

:sad:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Vanguard isn't doing it, repetitive charging and shotgunning/novaing just doesn't have the appeal I thought it would

Unfortunately I'm not really sure what would have appeal except that I suspect Adept isn't it either, so... suggestions?

Engineer. Play through Leviathan and get the Dominate bonus power, sit back and let everyone else fight it out.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ciaphas posted:

I would go to the doctor to check for a broken fun gland before proceeding

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
All the endings were just lacking too much content before the change to make me happy, they weren't terrible but in no way gave enough closure to this huge universe I spent so many hours in.

The worst part though had to be the Earth Assault, all that effort recruiting and salvaging and the only differences were the fleet warping in and the beam color. It was no where near enough payout for all the grinding you did, went in expecting a huge battle and all sorts of differences in cut scenes and got a tiny corridor and a wave area.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kurieg posted:

I would love to see our new technoroganic overlords as the villains they should be.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Jeza posted:

piss off with this revisionist history bullshit lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Yeah, it's time to give up the ghost on trying to apologize for the endings. Even Mac now admits it didn't go the way they wanted into the latest Gameinformer interview.