Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

Samsung's always on display is (currently) a very stupid implementation.

It doesn't show notifications from any apps except Samsung's. It only seems to show notification count (number of unread messages) but doesn't say anything about who those messages are from or titles or anything. And clearing a Notification (a missed call for example) from the notification tray will not clear it from the always-on screen. You have to open your phone app and look at missed calls to clear it.

I read that the Nougat beta for the S7 is enabling 3rd party apps, but I am sure Samsung will gently caress that up somehow too.

I don't remember the default Android ambient display being that bad, but I can't test it because it is currently broken on the Pixel. Moto's active display is the best.

The Note7's AOD did all that, 3rd party notifications and clearing, so hopefully uncle sam will bring those to their other devices. Sorry about the confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Woo hoo, finally got my pixel on attempt #2. Only problem is that I have to go to the store of my cell phone carrier to get it working, as it uses a SIM Nano while my Nexus 5 used a Mini. Oh well.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

My piece of poo poo 5x is constantly putting itself into do not disturb mode for no fucki g reaskn. How do I make it stop

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just an FYI, there is currently no procedure or parts to fix the back glass of the Pixel. That's kind of a big oversight seeing as how the camera lens is integrated into the glass. One bad crack or scuff and the camera could be rendered useless.

Apparently Google just directs you to Ubreakifix and they say they can't fix. Hopefully that situation will change in the future as I can't imagine the glass is anything other than glued on the back, but for now, be careful.

So, I'm usually a very anti-case person, but for now I'll be rocking a clear TPU. It's crazy that they made it super convenient and relatively cost effective to replace the display, but that slab of glass on the back can kill one of the main features of the phone with no way to fix.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

peepsalot posted:

My piece of poo poo 5x is constantly putting itself into do not disturb mode for no fucki g reaskn. How do I make it stop

Stop hitting the volume down button? Weird issue if that isn't the case.

bull3964 posted:

It's $600, so, yeah.

I an questioning the sanity in the chat for my HTC Tester group. I haven't got a clue as to how anyone at HTC could justify both the Price and the sheer existence of this phone. The HTC 10 was great, the new Desires look fantastic, the Bolt, is a neutered M9 thats waterproof and lacks a headphone port with a 1440P screen and a better camera, in 2016. I can see the reviews butchering the thing similar to the price of the A9 when it dropped, but this phone has even less really going for it today.

What they should have done is bring back the EVO line, with a Kickstand, Boomsound, Metal, and HTC 10 level of internal bits. (or Pixel if they could have gotten the 821 shoved into the thing). That would have been worth $600.

For now, get the HTC10 for $500 and pass over this.... Whatever this phone is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The main point of the phone seems to be a showcase for Sprint's 3x20 carrier aggregation. Don't really think there's much market for that.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shoren posted:

Any word on the Daydream View promo codes that were supposed to be sent out to those who preordered a Pixel? Did some googling and couldn't find any mention of the codes being sent out or an ETA.

Did you get an email like this?

quote:

Hi there,

Thanks for being one of the first to order Pixel, a phone by Google. Because you made your purchase during the pre-order period, you're eligible to receive the new Daydream View virtual reality headset on us.

Within approximately four weeks of your phone shipping, you will receive a promo code via email which you can use to redeem your Daydream View on Google Store, as long as you didn't cancel your order or return your Pixel phone. Full terms of the promotion can be found below.*

Get ready to experience high-quality, immersive VR with your Pixel and Daydream View.

Sincerely,
The Google Store Team

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Do I need to get some kind of adapter to connect the transfer cable to my Nexus 5 to transfer stuff to the new pixel?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Khisanth Magus posted:

Do I need to get some kind of adapter to connect the transfer cable to my Nexus 5 to transfer stuff to the new pixel?

The adapter is in the box.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

RZA Encryption posted:

Did you get an email like this?

I did, and although it hasn't been 4 weeks since I received my phone, it has been 4 weeks since others did. I'm curious if anyone else has received theirs.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Shoren posted:

I did, and although it hasn't been 4 weeks since I received my phone, it has been 4 weeks since others did. I'm curious if anyone else has received theirs.

I was in the first wave of orders and it's only been since the 20th, so three weeks? One more week to make good, Google!

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Deathlove posted:

I was in the first wave of orders and it's only been since the 20th, so three weeks? One more week to make good, Google!

Hmmm, guess I got my math wrong. Either way, still anxious to hear what's going on since quantities are limited!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

When one of you preorders gets your Daydream VR and inevitably doesn't like it, let me know because I will take it off your hands!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I did pick up the only one that made it to the Best Buy near my work and a few other BB's only got 1 or 2 or said they were, but didn't yet. So yea, might be a supply thing similar to the Rift/Vive when they launched. :/

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

EdEddnEddy posted:

Stop hitting the volume down button? Weird issue if that isn't the case.

The ringer is still at full volume so that's not it. Also I thought maybe I was accidentally hitting it from the pulldown menu, so I completely removwd the icon from that menu and it's still happening. I have two really straightforward rules that set do not disturb only during guaranteed sleeping hours. Weekdays 2am-8am and weekends 3am-9am.

But it's like it goes into DND mode and never comes out on its own or something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doh, so apparently the build ending in 'X' is the build for the Verizon Pixel and that's the one I sideloaded. It doesn't really appear to be an issue as the device still identifies as a NONVZW Pixel on Verizon's portal and the bootloader toggle still works fine.

I'm curious to see if I can go back to 'V' by sideloading on top of this or if I'm going to have to go the full flash route.

I'm also debating leaving it be until at least next month since this build may be more optimized for my use anyways since I am on Verizon.

The Verizon pixels seemed to go to 'V' before 'X' so the builds may not always be diverged anyways.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My Daydream rebate status is "processed", they say it will be here within 30 days.

None of those lame Samsung/Oculus games that I got free credits for will work, correct?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shoren posted:

Any word on the Daydream View promo codes that were supposed to be sent out to those who preordered a Pixel? Did some googling and couldn't find any mention of the codes being sent out or an ETA.

Haven't gotten mine yet, but my pixel only arrived three days ago.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
If this belongs in the SH/SC support thread, let me know and I'll move it.

I'm seeing a fucky problem with my Android device. It started recently, and I'm tempted to ascribe it to travelling. Wireless toggles on and off rapidly for reasons I can't discern. I grepped ADB for the issue but I don't see anything. If I reboot my device, the problem doesn't return until I try to turn on wireless again.

Here's what it looks like from the wireless connection screen: https://gfycat.com/FlatUnevenDromaeosaur

It should be noted that I'm not tapping it to turn wireless on and off. That's happening entirely by the system, and it's happening faster than the video lets on. Any guess what might be causing this? I suspect maybe it's because I started up FoxFi to get some work done, but I haven't seen this behavior before.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

peepsalot posted:

The ringer is still at full volume so that's not it. Also I thought maybe I was accidentally hitting it from the pulldown menu, so I completely removwd the icon from that menu and it's still happening. I have two really straightforward rules that set do not disturb only during guaranteed sleeping hours. Weekdays 2am-8am and weekends 3am-9am.

But it's like it goes into DND mode and never comes out on its own or something.

Mine did that randomly for a day or two. I don't remember of it just fixed itself or if I rebooted the phone.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Uthor posted:

Mine did that randomly for a day or two. I don't remember of it just fixed itself or if I rebooted the phone.
Someone is telling me to check the rules for the default profile under Settings -> System Profiles, but I'm on Android 7.0 and it doesn't seem to have that.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hey, for anyone unhappy with the way Ambient Display works on your Pixel, it looks like some app dev agrees.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/11/11/ambi-turner-gives-pixel-owners-the-ambient-notification-powers-theyve-been-missing/

No clue how much this will affect your battery life, but it might be worth giving a shot.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

peepsalot posted:

Someone is telling me to check the rules for the default profile under Settings -> System Profiles, but I'm on Android 7.0 and it doesn't seem to have that.

I'm fairly sure settings->system profiles is a cyanogenmod thing

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

The only other think I can think of is that I have my mail app setup to work with my job's exchange server, and people set up meeting events etc through that. So maybe its setting do not disturb every time there is a meeting and never unsetting it for some reasone?

I don't care who created what event, i never want DND mode to autoset for anything besides my 2 simple rules I mentioned above (my bedtime). Is there some setting i'm missing to make it do this?

THIS IS A SERIOUS loving PROBLEM THAT I CAN"T TRUST MY PHONE TO RING WHEN I GET CALLS

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

peepsalot posted:

The only other think I can think of is that I have my mail app setup to work with my job's exchange server, and people set up meeting events etc through that. So maybe its setting do not disturb every time there is a meeting and never unsetting it for some reasone?

I don't care who created what event, i never want DND mode to autoset for anything besides my 2 simple rules I mentioned above (my bedtime). Is there some setting i'm missing to make it do this?

THIS IS A SERIOUS loving PROBLEM THAT I CAN"T TRUST MY PHONE TO RING WHEN I GET CALLS

That's easy enough to check, set an event on your exchange account for a certain time and see if it turns it on. I'm not a slave to a corporation so I can't test for you.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Turned in my Note 7 to my local Verizon store. Picked up a Pesidio case for my Pixel and a Zagg glass protector.

I do not recommend the glass protector at all. It doesn't even fully cover the screen surface. What's even the point of this thing? There's so much exposed front. Sigh.

Oh, got to use a Daydream View at the store, too. Didn't have much time to adjust it for myself, but it seemed incredibly convincing. Other than the light bleed; around the nose area, you get ambient light leaking through. I feel like a cloth or foam or something there would help a lot. Either way, I'm still excited.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Turned in my Note 7 to my local Verizon store. Picked up a Pesidio case for my Pixel and a Zagg glass protector.

I do not recommend the glass protector at all. It doesn't even fully cover the screen surface. What's even the point of this thing? There's so much exposed front. Sigh.

Oh, got to use a Daydream View at the store, too. Didn't have much time to adjust it for myself, but it seemed incredibly convincing. Other than the light bleed; around the nose area, you get ambient light leaking through. I feel like a cloth or foam or something there would help a lot. Either way, I'm still excited.

Going with anything with Zagg in the name was your first mistake. I have had ok experience with companies like iCarez and a few others on Amazon for like $9 for 1 or 2. Stay away from accessories sold inside a Phone Carrier Store unless you hate money and actual quality products vs pure markup profit.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

XIII posted:

Hey, for anyone unhappy with the way Ambient Display works on your Pixel, it looks like some app dev agrees.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/11/11/ambi-turner-gives-pixel-owners-the-ambient-notification-powers-theyve-been-missing/

No clue how much this will affect your battery life, but it might be worth giving a shot.

As a Droid Turbo expat, I was hoping this would at least come close to replicating Moto's Active Screen stuff on my Pixel. At first I thought it wasn't doing anything, but waving my hand over it or shaking/twisting seems to work if I woke the phone recently. Is this Doze murdering everything?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EdEddnEddy posted:

Going with anything with Zagg in the name was your first mistake. I have had ok experience with companies like iCarez and a few others on Amazon for like $9 for 1 or 2. Stay away from accessories sold inside a Phone Carrier Store unless you hate money and actual quality products vs pure markup profit.

They've at least been good RE: my Note 7 protector, which I hosed up by trying to put a case on it. Sent me two or three replacements, though now they're....not really necessary. Do you have a go-to for a glass protector, then?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

PerrineClostermann posted:

They've at least been good RE: my Note 7 protector, which I hosed up by trying to put a case on it. Sent me two or three replacements, though now they're....not really necessary. Do you have a go-to for a glass protector, then?

XtremeGuard Spartan Tempered Glass plus coupon code Giant92. The coupon requires two items so toss in a "hi def" screen protector. With the coupon you'll pay less than $3.

I assumed Pixel XL but you can just search for the regular Pixel on there and do the same thing.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

So, this likely isn't the entirely appropriate thread, but I have a Pixel and a Google Home now and... the results have been somewhat mixed.

There are some genuinely nice things about it, namely that I like the speaker on the Home better than I do the Echo, and it's markedly easier to talk to... when it works. I have Hue lights, and controlling them via Home can be a bit confusing. I can tell it to "dim <room> to 20%" but I had difficulty getting the bulb to return to 100% brightness. I had to say a very specific phrase that couldn't include the name of the specific bulb I was trying to brighten, since the bulb is technically named "<sleepwalkers>'s Bedroom" and the room the bulb is associated with in the Home app is simply called "Bedroom." I don't know why this is the case, but it had to be specific enough that I had to look it up.

In addition, I can say "OK Google" as the trigger phrase and even if both the Home and my Pixel pick it up, my Pixel will pop up a little toast notification saying "answering on other device" if the Home is able to understand what I'm saying, which is nice.
...The downside to that is that Assistant on the Pixel can text people but the Home cannot, so I can't say "OK Google, text <person> <message>" in earshot of the Home, otherwise the Home takes precedence and says "sorry, I can't do that yet."

Ultimately, I'll likely keep the Home and use it regularly, but (surprise) Google's made nice hardware with an inconsistent experience. There's not 100% overlap between Assistant on the Pixel and via Home, which leads to things not working like it seems like they should. It still has the hump of needing to know how to say what you want it to do (like I can't tell it to "play something different" if I don't like the mix it's chosen, I have to just tell it to "play some music" again), which I was hoping would be less of an issue since Assistant is really focused on being flexible and conversational. I'm sure they'll improve it over time, but it's frustrating until they do.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 12, 2016

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone else get their order shipped? I ordered 9 days ago and it will get here on Tuesday. I thought I'd be waiting a month haha

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

sleepwalkers posted:

Words about Google Home

Could you make the trigger words different for the separate devices? Saying "ok home <whatever>" seems like an OK workaround. I don't know if it would be annoying or helpful to be more precise.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

Could you make the trigger words different for the separate devices? Saying "ok home <whatever>" seems like an OK workaround. I don't know if it would be annoying or helpful to be more precise.

AFAIK both "OK Google" and "Hey Google" work for the Home, while only "OK Google" works for the Pixel. I don't know if I can disable "OK Google" on the Home, which would help that issue. The universal coverage is both a good and bad thing, since it's nice to be able to just say "OK Google" wherever I am and have something respond for the 80% of commands that overlap, but that's probably my only chance at a solution at the moment.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

cage-free egghead posted:

Anyone else get their order shipped? I ordered 9 days ago and it will get here on Tuesday. I thought I'd be waiting a month haha

I must have missed the deadline cus I ordered a few days after you and I'm still slated for mid-December :smith:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Trip report on Galaxy S7 running the 7.0 beta - as well as excellent UX performance, the battery life is also giving me similar screen on time as it had on Marshmallow. 15% left right now, 14h 20m on battery with 5h 16m screen on time, and that's with moderate-heavy use.

Anyone here still rocking an S7? Bueller?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

please dont

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

sleepwalkers posted:

Google Home words

This sounds a lot like Ron Amadeo's experience in his review. And to add to the Home/Pixel Assistant differences, there's also differences in what Allo can/can't handle. It's truly the most Google of things.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone here still rocking an S7? Bueller?

I have one for work. Don't know how they'd feel about me running beta software; probably not supportive.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

This sounds a lot like Ron Amadeo's experience in his review. And to add to the Home/Pixel Assistant differences, there's also differences in what Allo can/can't handle. It's truly the most Google of things.

I was just about to post this. Home is like every other Google product when it first comes out in that it's just half-baked and released with the promise of future functionality only most of the time that cavalry never comes and the product withers and dies. Until the third-party support is added in and it's actually adopted by developers, the opaqueness of operation is rectified, and the inconsistencies between experiences are addressed, I'm staying away despite having interest.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

peepsalot posted:

Are you managing do not disturb/ring schedules with anything other than what google has built in? I had a problem with 'night mode' on my droid turbo acting up and going into dnd or silencing priority calls randomly. This was even after months of using it to manage that stuff without a single issue. Others online have reported similar issues with other phones and 3rd party apps, the only workaround seems to be removing/disabling them and living with what's baked in.

Adjectivist Philosophy fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 12, 2016