Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Badly Jester posted:

After being introduced to the game by a friend, me and another buddy decided to :getin:. This is my first tabletop, which probably explains why I'm this hooked -so far, I've ordered a (plastic) PHR starter and probably way more blisters than I should have (Zeus, Odin, Triton A1, Helios, 2x Apollos). Unfortunately, almost all of these blisters had parts with miscasts of varying severity and one even came with the wrong weapon. The shop that I ordered from has already sent me replacement parts, so that's good, but my question to you guys is whether I just got really unlucky or if that's about the level of quality control I should expect from the resin models. Except for the PHR infantry which looks horrible in plastic, I fail to see how resin models are supposed to be better than plastic.

DropZone ?

I do Shaltari and the only miscast I've had I didn't bother to get changed - it was just a bit of one of the ball joints on a walker-leg.... everything else has been perfect, and I've got about 2,500pts so far.

I think All the plastic infantry looks bad - Dave doesn't like doing them, and the metal ones (like my Firstborn and Pungarii) are just much better models

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Yeah, I should have mentioned, this is about DZC. Said friend who got me into this is also waiting for his delivery of his DFC pledge, though, so I hope I don't get roped into that as well. My wallet...

I wouldn't mind a bit of trimming, but I'm talking about details or whole corners of the mini that are missing, or in the case of the Apollos, the hip pieces had the texture of sand paper (although not quite as coarse, of course). The model of Jocasta Caine coming with two left railguns was also a bit of a head scratcher. I mean, I'll get the replacement parts tomorrow and everything will most likely be fine, the amount of replacements necessary just seemed a bit excessive. Good to hear that issues usually aren't as severe.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
^^^ I think you just had some bad luck there. I've never needed a replacement from Hawk.

I'm fuming at this Kickstarter delivery, though. I carefully typed details of where to leave the package and how to get to my apartment complex's office and the delivery driver couldn't be hosed to walk a few feet to get there. So now I have to totally rearrange my travel plans tomorrow to have any chance of getting the box this side of the weekend.

Not really Hawk's fault, or even Amazon Logistics' fault, but by heck is he going to catch hell when I fill out my customer comment form :argh:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
It isn't unheard of to get the occasional misscast part (air pockets usually) or a packing mistake here and there. Usually the casting issues are minor and can often by sorting out with a tiny bit of greenstuff.

The number of issues you have had is unusual though. I have a pretty big PHR army at this point and the start of a Resistance force and I have only needed to contact Hawk twice for missing parts (one of them being the stem of a flight stand) and where I did have casting issues I was able to easily fix them myself so did not bother contacting Hawk.

You will find though that if you do need something sorted that Hawk have excellent customer service. Or they do when they are not struggling to ship thousands of kickstarter pledges.

In related news my Dropfleet pledge arrived today! There was no shipping notification so that was a surprise.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Got my commodore pledge and have started to work through the starter fleets. As usual, Hawk's plastics are drat-near snap-fit, although the little comms towers you have to attach to UCM cruisers will drive any man insane. Takes poly cement really well, thankfully, so no major issues so far. Then again, all I've done is the PHR and Scourge battlecruisers and the aforementioned starter, so there's still time for that.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^ I love the UCM and Scourge frigates. So simple to put together.
My friend has the PHR and cut himself literally 4-5 times already. It's nuts. Though that is just him being dumb about it.

Loxbourne posted:

I'm fuming at this Kickstarter delivery, though. I carefully typed details of where to leave the package and how to get to my apartment complex's office and the delivery driver couldn't be hosed to walk a few feet to get there. So now I have to totally rearrange my travel plans tomorrow to have any chance of getting the box this side of the weekend.

loving Hawk. You should post this on the kickstarter page. poo poo like this deserves to be heard.

I am in Madison Wisconsin with Dropfleet for a big con if any goons are in the area which none probably are.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 4, 2016

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

Has someone made a page to help you check your dropfleet stuff is all correct?

I opened the box and there are so many sprues.

Also two rulebooks, one seems to be for the starter and the other is just by itself?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

E.J.Olmos posted:

Has someone made a page to help you check your dropfleet stuff is all correct?

I opened the box and there are so many sprues.

Also two rulebooks, one seems to be for the starter and the other is just by itself?

Did you grt the captain pledge? That was two 2 player starters so would have 2 rulebooks.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
A page (maybe even from Hawk :downs:) listing what each pledge and bolt on consists of sprite wise would be awesome. I think I checked mine, if anything I've got stuff I didn't order

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

The primer is drying on my PHR starter fleet and I have my first Resistance units already on the painting table. Interested to hear any thoughts on this really WIP colour test.

The docking clamp thing and bits by the doors are probably going to be silver but those are the main colours I'm thinking of going with. I guess the patched plates should be different shades of yellow/green for dodgy post-apocalyptic attempts at colour matching or just some other random colours, then I try to dirty the whole thing up.

I know it isn't a super serious realistic military scheme but what do you guys think, would this make for a good looking army?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Individually, I like both colors a lot, but I'm somehow not sold on the combination of them. Being new to this and also dumb, I don't think I have the vocabulary to explain this well, but I guess the yellow/orange is too shiny compared to the very matte texture of the green? This could probably change a lot depending on what you do to the yellorange in terms of washing or whatever you had in mind for dirtying things up. Then again, I'm new to all of this and know jack poo poo.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Do you think it is too much of a 'cartoon' look maybe? The green is Russian Uniform WW2, the yellow is Golden Yellow.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I think it could end up working nicely but watch out to not have too much yellow, i'd say one or two marking per vehicle. And personally i'm always a fan of markings that don't stick to panel lines.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
My first Shaltari DFC cruisers done. Quick and easy but I'm happy with them

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

They look great mate!

http://dflist.com/

Fleet builder!

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 6, 2016

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Flipswitch posted:

They look great mate!

http://dflist.com/

Fleet builder!

Thats a cool builder. No way to print it yet though?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Those Shaltari look great! Keep it up!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

dexefiend posted:

Those Shaltari look great! Keep it up!

Yeah, they're pretty nifty. What's the light blue for the main body?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

wdarkk posted:

Yeah, they're pretty nifty. What's the light blue for the main body?

Vallejo game colour Hawk Turquoise washed with nuln oil, then dry brushed a few times up to 50/50 Turquoise and P3 Frostbite.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I was taking a look at the UCM battleships, and I'm a little confused. The New York brings something that you can't get anywhere else (a torpedo), but I don't know how good the other two are.

First, the Beijing. It's got a burnthrough laser & rack of guns - pretty straightforward. But let's compare it to a pair of cruisers (a Berlin and a Rio), smashed together. They have the same light railgun firepower (UF-4200 Mass Drivers, 4+). The battleship has the edge in heavy railgun firepower (6 UF-6400 shots vs. 4 UF-6400 shots, 3+). They have the same burnthrough firepower. The cruisers have a slight edge in close-action firepower (2d6+2 missile shots vs. 1d6+4 missile shots, 4+). They have the same armor save. The cruisers have more hull (20 combined, vs. 18 on the Beijing). They have the same PD. The cruisers are faster (8" vs. 6" thrust). The battleship has more scan (8" vs. 6"). The battleship has a much bigger sig (12" vs. 6"). So, action-wise, they're pretty similar. The Beijing has a slight edge in firepower & range where the cruisers are faster and harder to hit. I'm not sure how to compare the toughness - 2 extra hull on the cruisers, but the cruisers can be taken out piecemeal. However, the Beijing is more expensive - 252 pts, vs. 220 pts for both cruisers. I'd rather have 2 cruisers and one of the smaller frigates. Am I wrong?

Second, the Tokyo. This is a little better. It has almost the same bombardment value as two Madrids, and it adds a burnthrough laser. We've got the same back and forth about armor/close action/scan/sig/speed/hull points. Again, though, the Tokyo is significantly more expensive (220, vs. 158 for both cruisers). The price difference is almost enough for a New Cairo light cruiser, which would swing the firepower difference back to the cruisers by adding a burnthrough laser and give a significant durability advantage to the cruisers (30 vs. 18).

Obviously battleships are awesome as the centerpiece for a fleet, and give you a solid base of fire that's pretty durable. Plus they do well as a home base for your admiral. But I'll have to play a few games and see how busy the tabletop gets before I am convinced they're worth the points premium over multiple smaller ships that can cover more of the table and are more flexible in the orders phase.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcturas posted:

First, the Beijing. It's got a burnthrough laser & rack of guns - pretty straightforward. But let's compare it to a pair of cruisers (a Berlin and a Rio), smashed together. They have the same light railgun firepower (UF-4200 Mass Drivers, 4+). The battleship has the edge in heavy railgun firepower (6 UF-6400 shots vs. 4 UF-6400 shots, 3+). They have the same burnthrough firepower. The cruisers have a slight edge in close-action firepower (2d6+2 missile shots vs. 1d6+4 missile shots, 4+). They have the same armor save. The cruisers have more hull (20 combined, vs. 18 on the Beijing). They have the same PD. The cruisers are faster (8" vs. 6" thrust). The battleship has more scan (8" vs. 6"). The battleship has a much bigger sig (12" vs. 6"). So, action-wise, they're pretty similar. The Beijing has a slight edge in firepower & range where the cruisers are faster and harder to hit. I'm not sure how to compare the toughness - 2 extra hull on the cruisers, but the cruisers can be taken out piecemeal. However, the Beijing is more expensive - 252 pts, vs. 220 pts for both cruisers. I'd rather have 2 cruisers and one of the smaller frigates. Am I wrong?

Well, you can't simply add the point defense of two individual ships together, so the Beijing is much better for that all said. Same thing for the close-action firepower; since the ships you are talking about aren't a unit the enemy will get double point defense against it. Silent Running makes the the larger signature not that much of an issue during the first turn or two. Also, you have to factor in the fact that the two ships will be critical easier (at 5 hull points instead of 9) which lowers their chance for survival: given that most results strip off 2 hull points you are looking at roughly the same hull points.
The largest advantage, and one that the Tokyo is designed for, is scenario play. The battleship is worth 15 points while the 2 Cruisers are worth 10 for capturing a sector.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks, I completely forgot how PD works, and I haven't really looked into scenarios yet.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

It kinda carries over from Dropzone that more expensive units can be most valuable at holding ground because they are a big chunk of points for scoring.

In Dropzone there are cases where increasing a units cost has actually been a buff.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ownzone and Ownfleet Bromanders, the TG SS is up for this year, earlier starter and earlier cut off for signups this time around. Send and/or receive the gift of more ships!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796690

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Colour test on my first UCM cruiser.

I still need to touch up and do the inside of the hanger bays and such, but how does the overall colour scheme look to you guys?

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

Ugleb posted:

Did you grt the captain pledge? That was two 2 player starters so would have 2 rulebooks.

Nah I went for Commodore.

Will take pics of my whole set and try to work out exactly everything I have.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Just the one book in there sorry.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Colour test on my first UCM cruiser.

I still need to touch up and do the inside of the hanger bays and such, but how does the overall colour scheme look to you guys?
Colours on a bit thick there chap, I'd thin them out a fair bit, better to paint with multiple layers than few(er?). :)

The scheme itself is cool though, get the contrasting and shading down and it'll come along nicely!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, that's a nice scheme. I'm going for blue with white accent panels for most of mine, maybe try a few in Green Bay packers colors to appease the wife and break up the table a bit. But some red like yours would be swell too.

(If I had my poo poo together on the army list front I would just do each battle group a separate scheme so I have squadrons but that would require knowing the rules.)

Also still no shipping notification on my order. Boo-urns!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Played my first DFC games last night, Shaltari Starter vs. UCM starter.

Game is super fun! I lost the first game really bad when I put up my Mothership's shields far too soon and kinda left it in the middle of nowhere by itself. Second game I still lost but it was much closer. Shields up vs. Shields down is a pretty important tactical decision for Shaltari, since most of the time I found I actually really preferred the smaller signature and the point defense. The voidgates are handy for potentially popping dropships in atmosphere.

Overall I'm really happy with the game and am looking forward to playing it more.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

WIP test scheme ahoy!

My thinking is to add some hull striping stuff to the upper hull but I haven't decided on the colour yet. Original thought was a blue (nothing metallic) but I might need something else as I have a lot of metallic blue on as it is.

Suggestions welcome!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Do you want to go warmer or cooler? A green would be neat, but definitely a cooler color. A red would also be interesting, but you're getting close to 'MURICA the spaceship if you're not careful.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm still waiting on my Commodore pledge. Are they still being sent out?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Flipswitch posted:

Colours on a bit thick there chap, I'd thin them out a fair bit, better to paint with multiple layers than few(er?). :)

The scheme itself is cool though, get the contrasting and shading down and it'll come along nicely!

Actually the paints not on thick at all, its just a combination of having no touch up and being hard to find a good angle on the ship for the photo. The silver also looks terrible in the photo.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Arcturas posted:

Do you want to go warmer or cooler? A green would be neat, but definitely a cooler color. A red would also be interesting, but you're getting close to 'MURICA the spaceship if you're not careful.

Warmer probably, I don't want to go too dark with it. I am considering a bone white, it would be a fairly subtle hull marking though as it is a lighter grey I am using.

I don't want to go all stars and stripes so yeah, not red I guess!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I really want to make some Dropfleet tokens but using Advance Wars sprites. That would look awesome.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

GreenMarine posted:

I'm still waiting on my Commodore pledge. Are they still being sent out?

I just got a shipping notification for my Captain pledge

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Anyone painted launch assets yet? They come in black plastic and as the bases/stems are easily 90% of the models I am trying to decide if I should use black primer or not. All I am doing is painting a couple of colours onto the tiny bit at the top so I dunno.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ugleb posted:

Anyone painted launch assets yet? They come in black plastic and as the bases/stems are easily 90% of the models I am trying to decide if I should use black primer or not. All I am doing is painting a couple of colours onto the tiny bit at the top so I dunno.
When I buy them in retail I'll let you know. :v: I'd prime over plastic anyway though, just makes it look a bit more consistent, but then i'm the sort of person who when painting bases, also goes over the base lip with black anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
A guy on Facebook did his launch assets up in shades of green as radar blips. I've been giving serious thought to doing the same with my Scourge, highlighting the gun decks in red, and doing them as holograms.