Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Who What Now posted:

If "Stop the rise of fascism and white supremacy in this country" wasn't good enough then nothing ever will be. Because whatever the democrats promise the republicans will promise too, with the added bonus of loving over minorities as hard as they can. Turns out the latter trumps (ha) the former every time.

Stopping the rise of fascism isn't going to happen with the kind of politicians who aid and abet fascism when it takes over. It's not going to happen with oligarchs who are probably just going to stop pretending to give a poo poo when it takes over and just take off the masks. Depressed turnouts are going to keep happening if "hey what about you vote again for the system that failed" because the loss wasn't Trump winning the vote, popular or ev, it was both parties' turnouts going to poo poo and especially the dems being unable to bring out the vote in every demographic that matters to the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

Most didn't vote. Sorry you're wrong again neoliberal.

Not voting means they're okay with brown people getting massively shafted, which is what will now happen because they didn't vote.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

i think this grossly misstates the actual nature of american elections.

we already know that most people don't vote. something like, what, half the electorate ever shows up?

that means the name of the game is getting people to come out and vote for you. there are vast swaths of untapped voters who don't feel listened to or who do not feel the need to listen.

the goal of elections is to motivate these people to come out and vote.

that means hope and something to vote for.

i think its reductionist to say: those who didn't vote actually voted for trump because if hillary won then the same thing could be said for the same voters which is a gross mischaracterization.

even though its an easy conclusion to come to, parties are not owed votes and voters. it is their responsibility to cater to the masses and get as many as possible to come out and vote for them. because this is the reality of the situation. this is how it is, not how we want it to be.

so let's focus on bringing more people out to vote for the policies we like, and spend less energy chastising the very people we need to win.

The reality of the situation is a huge amount of people saw an open racist and misogynist running for president and decided that was fine (hint, this makes them bigots). Voters bear responsibility in a democracy. That's what being in a democracy means. Accept responsibility. Don't try to shift blame away from your personal failure.

And yes, the people who sat this one out deserve to be chastised, not coddled. What possible reason do marginalized groups have to trust white people who will, as is now transparently obvious, abandon them at the drop of a hat? Outside of the wonderful tactic of holding minority rights hostage, that is.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 11, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Edible Hat posted:

When is the IRS expected to end their audit of the President-elect's tax returns? I want to know when that financial information will be shared with the public.
Fun fact I learned from this very forum yesterday: the President gets audited every year of their tenure!

So, at minimum, 2036.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/797120114042793984

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

fishmech posted:

Why do you want someone who has serious issues with Muslim immigrants (including voting to bar refugees from the Middle East) and is buddy-buddy with one of India's leading right wing parties (which really really hates Muslims) and Trump's buddy Sheldon Adelson?

Mainly throwing a bone to dumb berniebros, they may be dumb, but their vote is needed.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Shortest Path posted:

Not voting means they're okay with brown people getting massively shafted, which is what will now happen because they didn't vote.

I guess all those brown people who didn't vote are okay with that. Racists!

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
The old DNC is already revving up

"Amid disaster, Booker emerges as a national player"
In 2016, the fact that Booker was black, a junior senator, young, intellectual and a commanding speaker argued against a presidential campaign because of the similarities to Obama. After four years of Trump, those attributes may be sought after.

http://www.politico.com/states/new-jersey/story/2016/11/cory-bookers-brave-new-world-107289

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

oh my god this guy needs to entirely gently caress off down a sewer

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

It has occured to me that despite everyone who knew better protesting otherwise, people legit thought the Y2K bug was going to end civilization. This was before social media was really a thing.

I think we probably need some more baseline research into sociology.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So we already see from the first 4 days of Trump hires and signals that we're going to reinstate a global torture program (Jose Rodriguez); remove ourselves from climate study and pacts thus ending any serious halt to global climate change in the next hundred years (Myron Ebell); enter a golden age of Wall Street lobbyists influencing Washington Politics (Dimon and 13 others); phase out and privatize medicare (see: statement of Ryan last evening); drop millions from health insurance and see those with severe health conditions go bankrupt or die; return to "dictators maintaining order" politics by allying with Russia and Assad in Syria and thus act against the interest of our Middle Eastern allies and on.

But there was nothing at stake in this election. Hillary was corrupt you see, case closed, nothing to see here.

We're going to pivot left hard you'll see, it's going to be a really cool pivot and we'll take back the white house in like 8-12 years woohoo! I can smell the sweet victory now.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yeah a rust belt populist like uhhh that one felon who ran against Obama in 2012 during the WV primary?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I guess all those brown people who didn't vote are okay with that. Racists!

Yes? The core strategy of white supremacy has always been pitting minorities against each other. There are many black people who hate immigrants and vice-versa and also Muslims. Like, read the loving thread dude this has been addressed a dozen times.

Every single person who could have voted against Trump and declined to do so is okay with racism. That is an absolute, undeniable fact.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So we already see from the first 4 days of Trump hires and signals that we're going to reinstate a global torture program (Jose Rodriguez); remove ourselves from climate study and pacts thus ending any serious halt to global climate change in the next hundred years (Myron Ebell); enter a golden age of Wall Street lobbyists influencing Washington Politics (Dimon and 13 others); phase out and privatize medicare (see: statement of Ryan last evening); drop millions from health insurance and see those with severe health conditions go bankrupt or die; return to "dictators maintaining order" politics by allying with Russia and Assad in Syria and thus act against the interest of our Middle Eastern allies and on.

But there was nothing at stake in this election. Hillary was corrupt you see, case closed, nothing to see here.

We're going to pivot left hard you'll see, it's going to be a really cool pivot and we'll take back the white house in like 8-12 years woohoo! I can smell the sweet victory now.

There was a lot at stake and we failed to stop it because we nominated Hillary. Now that we are pivoting leftward we can maybe actually do something about it in the future.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

The reality of the situation is a huge amount of people saw an open racist and misogynist running for president and decided that was fine (hint, this makes them bigots). Voters bear responsibility in a democracy. That's what being in a democracy means. Accept responsibility. Don't try to shift blame away from your personal failure.

And yes, the people who sat this one out deserve to be chastised, not coddled. What possible reason do marginalized groups have to trust white people who will, as is now transparently obvious, abandon them at the drop of a hat? Outside of the wonderful tactic of holding minority rights hostage, that is.

they also saw a status quo corporatist war-hawk and many assumed that would be bad too

there are two sides to this equation

chastising people for not supporting an unpopular platform (remember she lost millions of democratic votes since 2012) isn't going to bring them back into the fold. they already feel alienated. alienating them more isn't the solution.

how do we bring these people in AND get them to support outcomes that benefit ALL people? that's the question. calling them bigots and assholes is NOT the solution

edit: democrats need to go back to providing hope. not fear. even if that fear is incredibly valid, its a losing strategy

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 11, 2016

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

We're going to learn a lot about who is with us and who is against us in the coming years.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

This is loving stupid. Every single news source was predicting a massive landslide beating Trump. If there's no threat, why would they take the time to vote for an uninspiring candidate?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

There was a lot at stake and we failed to stop it because we nominated Hillary. Now that we are pivoting leftward we can maybe actually do something about it in the future.

Nah, we elected Trump. Your perspective is poo poo and you obviously will never learn

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Who What Now posted:

If these people are too stupid to see through such an obvious lie then they're too stupid to effectively persuade of anything useful.

This unsufferable poo poo of "I know so much more than you" is why Democrats are hated and deserved to lose.
Keep hitting that "ur a bigot" button so everyone knows how moral you are, christ you're worst than the evangelicals

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Yes? The core strategy of white supremacy has always been pitting minorities against each other. There are many black people who hate immigrants and vice-versa and also Muslims. Like, read the loving thread dude this has been addressed a dozen times.

Every single person who could have voted against Trump and declined to do so is okay with racism. That is an absolute, undeniable fact.

This isn't how humanity works.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

no one was arguing that there wasn't a bunch at stake so what the gently caress are you on about.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

I'm sorry I'm dumb and don't know that much inside baseball with the dems, I have seen this tweet getting a lot of derision but could use someone to unpack what exactly is going on and why people are hating him (which I'm sure will make sense once I understand more of wtf he's talking about or suggesting)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fansy posted:

In 2016, the fact that Booker was black, a junior senator, young, intellectual and a commanding speaker argued against a presidential campaign because of the similarities to Obama. After four years of Trump, those attributes may be sought after.

http://www.politico.com/states/new-jersey/story/2016/11/cory-bookers-brave-new-world-107289
Honestly, Booker could be a fairly important piece of a new coalition as long as he doesn't have any coattails. He's charismatic, he gets the cred for not being white, and he has a number of good opintions and a lot of cred with rich people.

Just make sure he wipes his feet so he doesn't bring any more charter-school-supporting scum in with him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fansy posted:

This needs to die in the crib.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i look forward to "Rust Belt populist" being the new meaningless buzzword that every commentariat dipshit in the entire country will repeat ad nauseum for the next four to eight years

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Single Payer failed in Colorado, by 60 points. It didn't even get a majority of Democrats to vote for it.

Swinging hard to the left can lose elections too. There entire reason why Democrats swung to the center was because from '68 to 88 they won the presidency one time. And that took Watergate.

I think people are going to be surprised in 2/4 years when it turns out that America isn't full of shy progressives waiting in the wings.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Monaghan posted:

no one was arguing that there wasn't a bunch at stake so what the gently caress are you on about.

That the "I told you so clown car" on this forum has a complete and utter lack of perspective.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

"They could have chosen a rust belt populist, instead they chose a rust belt populist"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Bhaal posted:

I'm sorry I'm dumb and don't know that much inside baseball with the dems, I have seen this tweet getting a lot of derision but could use someone to unpack what exactly is going on and why people are hating him (which I'm sure will make sense once I understand more of wtf he's talking about or suggesting)

Eh, my original post wasn't quite correct, but suffice it to say, Ellison is a populist. He was a Sanders supporter, has been active in civil rights, and has worked to aid the working poor as much as he can.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the democrats were crushed this election. just absolutely annihilated. wrecked beyond belief. they also took the popular vote and picked up seats in the house and senate

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bhaal posted:

because the author is hopped up on rhetorical goofballs, and proposing that the Dems put a cryptid in charge of the DNC instead of Ellison. hes saying nothing of substance in a way that suggests he saw the phrase "referendum on the establishment" until his brain turned to slurry.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Agnosticnixie posted:

"They could have chosen a rust belt populist, instead they chose a rust belt populist"

Minneapolis ain't rust belt.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Tiberius Christ posted:

This unsufferable poo poo of "I know so much more than you" is why Democrats are hated and deserved to lose.

LOL because conservatives never do this.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

Single Payer failed in Colorado, by 60 points. It didn't even get a majority of Democrats to vote for it.

Swinging hard to the left can lose elections too. There entire reason why Democrats swung to the center was because from '68 to 88 they won the presidency one time. And that took Watergate.

I think people are going to be surprised in 2/4 years when it turns out that America isn't full of shy progressives waiting in the wings.

this point is well taken, but things are a lot different than they were 30 years ago. i'm not sure those comparisons hold up due to modern circumstances. we'll find out though!

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Honestly, Booker could be a fairly important piece of a new coalition as long as he doesn't have any coattails. He's charismatic, he gets the cred for not being white, and he has a number of good opintions and a lot of cred with rich people.

Just make sure he wipes his feet so he doesn't bring any more charter-school-supporting scum in with him.

You don't think the catastrophic loss in Democratic voter turn out is in any way related to Obama failing to punish wall street in 2008? You want the guy dependent on money from the financial industry?

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

i look forward to "Rust Belt populist" being the new meaningless buzzword that every commentariat dipshit in the entire country will repeat ad nauseum for the next four to eight years

It won Trump the election doesn't sound meaningless

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Coheed and Camembert posted:

A few more, including Robert Reich have called for the entire current DNC leadership to step down.

This is really pro click. The people who we should be mad at are the establishment who created this situation They were warned that this would happen and did nothing.

Well when they know voting for HRC means a trade agreement that could destroy what little stability they have they'll think of their family first.

Also Weissman should note there are penty darker skinned people in the rust belt, and yes many of them also don't like trade agreements. IN fact the Rust belt includes the Twin Cities and the area that Keith Ellison proudly represents. I always love how at their core the neoliberals are racists who cannot imagine that people of differing skin tones have similar beliefs.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 11, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

zegermans posted:

Mainly throwing a bone to dumb berniebros, they may be dumb, but their vote is needed.

We shouldn't do that by nominating someone who has serious problems with Muslims and is actively pals with hard right wing people in the US and hard right wing parties outside the US.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nah, we elected Trump. Your perspective is poo poo and you obviously will never learn

Look in a mirror you projecting dolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tiberius Christ posted:

It won Trump the election doesn't sound meaningless

yeah but is he a wonk

• Locked thread