Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
memba this
This poll is closed.
goku 130 46.43%
goku 150 53.57%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

medchem posted:

Close the thread. Nothing can top last night.

Your AV just made this the best post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

medchem posted:

Close the thread. Nothing can top last night.

We still have the best part of two months left in this godawful year. Don't tempt fate.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
2016 started with David Bowie dying. In hindsight we should've realized this is the Absolute Fuckyear of Shitmonths.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

davidspackage posted:

2016 started with David Bowie dying. In hindsight we should've realized this is the Absolute Fuckyear of Shitmonths.

Most people did, this has been a famously awful year both for celebrity deaths and just everyone's personal life and state of mind. My granma died this year. I know a few other people who have lost family too. 2016 is a reaping for sure.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Gato posted:

reminder that America elected a born-again Christian idiot who pissed away billions of dollars and thousands of lives invading Iraq because

... he thought he would fulfill an End Times prophecy by doing so

His party was on board with the invasion anyway because it was their chance to remake Iraq into a corporate friendly small government utopia

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

purple death ray posted:

Most people did, this has been a famously awful year both for celebrity deaths and just everyone's personal life and state of mind. My granma died this year. I know a few other people who have lost family too. 2016 is a reaping for sure.

Reminder: People died in 2016.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

My grandma died, my dog died, my cat ran away, and trump was elected. 2016 in a nutshell

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I developed an undiagnosed illness this year that cause pain in almost every part of my body, severe fatigue, and problems with my nerves and muscles. I've been sick since April with a 2 month reprieve in late summer.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Man, what a poo poo year.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
One of my friends I most admired committed suicide earlier this year, and I'm thinking, hey. She would have been broken-hearted over all this. Maybe she nailed the timing, she was practically perfect in every other way.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Pick posted:

One of my friends I most admired committed suicide earlier this year, and I'm thinking, hey. She would have been broken-hearted over all this. Maybe she nailed the timing, she was practically perfect in every other way.

drat. Really sorry for your loss.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I came to New York just after the New Year to start a new job in research. Coming from Ohio was a slap in the face though, in terms of cost of living, so even though my income has doubled, I'm still only as well off as I was as a grad student. My wife and I have a young daughter and we can't afford to send her to preschool or day care, so we have to be a single-income family. Coming here has been the worst decision I have ever made, where I thought advancing my career has ultimately brought me to the brink of ruin. I nearly lost my wife over this, both through a rocky marriage and a cancer scare. I know that I've lost a few years from my life span over all of this and the end of it will likely be plagued with illness. And now I worry even more because the GOP will gut funding for scientific research, making it even harder for me to find work that will sustain us.

I've been feeling suicidal since about August, it's taking everything I have now to beat it back. I can't afford the medication that keeps me functioning. 2016 is, hands down, the worst year of my life, and mine's been full of unhappiness since early childhood.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pick posted:

I've had a couple of friends die in the last couple of years and the prevailing thought in my circle has been "they wouldn't believe this poo poo!"

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Titus Sardonicus posted:

I came to New York just after the New Year to start a new job in research. Coming from Ohio was a slap in the face though, in terms of cost of living, so even though my income has doubled, I'm still only as well off as I was as a grad student. My wife and I have a young daughter and we can't afford to send her to preschool or day care, so we have to be a single-income family. Coming here has been the worst decision I have ever made, where I thought advancing my career has ultimately brought me to the brink of ruin. I nearly lost my wife over this, both through a rocky marriage and a cancer scare. I know that I've lost a few years from my life span over all of this and the end of it will likely be plagued with illness. And now I worry even more because the GOP will gut funding for scientific research, making it even harder for me to find work that will sustain us.

I've been feeling suicidal since about August, it's taking everything I have now to beat it back. I can't afford the medication that keeps me functioning. 2016 is, hands down, the worst year of my life, and mine's been full of unhappiness since early childhood.

Holy moly. Hang in there dude.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

i had a pretty good year

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Sorry man :(
I also work in research and I am worried for my foreign coworkers.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I voted for trump and I hated bowie

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

:frogout:

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I've had a couple of friends die in the last couple of years and the prevailing thought in my circle has been "they wouldn't believe this poo poo!"

My dad died a year ago yesterday. If the COPD didn't get him the GOP would have.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Bogan Krkic posted:

:megadeath:

One of my oldest and best friends died this year, after I spent so much time trying to save him from his demons. Bound to happen, but 2016, folks. The Aristocrats!

Pvt.Scott has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Nov 11, 2016

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. F! posted:

Holy moly. Hang in there dude.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Sorry man :(
I also work in research and I am worried for my foreign coworkers.

I'm going back to Ohio at the year's end. I have a part-time teaching gig lined up, but I will only be as well off as I was as a grad student; I keep telling myself that it's only temporary, that I will have an easier time of finding more gainful employment once I've come back and have some resources to help find something. My wife has an interview on Tuesday, so we at least have that to make the outlook a little better as well. I mean, things between the two of us have improved, significantly, once I came to realize and to admit that I made a huge mistake in dragging us out here and that it's taken a heavy toll on her emotionally, and she herself came to realize that she was hurting me by pushing me away out of resentment, and knowing that I did this thinking it would help. Now we have to strive to improve our lot, and that starts with going back home, where we at least have friends and some family willing to help us out. I also have a prospective postdoc position at the med school out where we will be, so that will give me more of the experience I need to find something permanent in future. It just sucks that, right now, I'm overqualified for the majority of what is available, but I don't feel confident that I'm qualified enough for what little else is out there. But if things work as I hope they will, then we'll be okay in the long run.

It's been a remarkably dark year, but it can't be like this forever. Right?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hey, at least it was a cancer scare, right? I had a nice diagnosis of skin cancer earlier this year in Feb! Yay!

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Aw man, I'm sorry :smith:
How serious is it? Christ this year just needs to end.

Also: my wife just found out her last living grandparent died, couple of weeks ago. Her relationship with her family has been pretty much nonexistent, so nobody told her. She's a little bummed about it, but there's no point in really being upset because "family" doesn't really carry the same meaning for us as it does with everyone else.

root beer has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Nov 11, 2016

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Aw man, I'm sorry :smith:
How serious is it? Christ this year just needs to end.

I'll be ok for now, but it was pretty crazy and uncertain for a bit there. Hang in there buddy

King Diamond
Dec 26, 2005
Jesus Christ close the thread

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I can't handle this either. I mean I'm honestly glad that some of you have beaten cancer but I just wanted to read about incredible things that actually happened in the world.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Okay, since I kinda started the derail (though in my defense, it was inevitable), I offer "Satan's Storm," a bizarre weather phenomenon that happened in a tiny town near Waco, Texas:

quote:

Shortly after midnight on June 15, 1960, a freak meteorological phenomenon struck the community when a dying thunderstorm collapsed over Kopperl. The storm had rained itself out, and with little to no precipitation to cool the resulting downdrafts, superheated air was expended upon the community in the form of extremely hot wind gusts of up to 75 MPH. The temperature increased rapidly, peaking near 140° Fahrenheit (60° Celsius); twenty degrees above the official all-time high for the state of Texas. The storm, known as "Satan's Storm" by locals, soon became part of local folklore.

More info. I learned about this a long time ago in a book by Cleveland's beloved -- and recently retired after 55 years -- meteorologist, Dick Goddard.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Okay, since I kinda started the derail (though in my defense, it was inevitable), I offer "Satan's Storm," a bizarre weather phenomenon that happened in a tiny town near Waco, Texas:

More info. I learned about this a long time ago in a book by Cleveland's beloved -- and recently retired after 55 years -- meteorologist, Dick Goddard.

We had one of these a couple years ago:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/06/11/stunning-late-night-heat-burst-in-nebraska-99-degrees-at-5-am/

Temp went from low 70s to 99 in about 15 minutes (that report says a couple hours, but if you look at temperature readings, it all happened at once). Unfortunately I was asleep at the time. Nothing so crazy that it burned crops like that story, but I had never seen anything like it before then.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jesus! You always hear about the wind and the water and -but never weird satan storms!

It's intense how powerful nature can be. Couple years ago we had Cyclone "Bodil" that did this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho4U_J01FV8

Checking the meteorological institute, the water was at least 5 meters above normal.

For reference, last time we had a real storm was in 1999 where some houses fell over but nothing else happened, & then I think in 1870 there was a flood. So yeah, we're newbies in the world of climate change.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

wa27 posted:

We had one of these a couple years ago:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/06/11/stunning-late-night-heat-burst-in-nebraska-99-degrees-at-5-am/

Temp went from low 70s to 99 in about 15 minutes (that report says a couple hours, but if you look at temperature readings, it all happened at once). Unfortunately I was asleep at the time. Nothing so crazy that it burned crops like that story, but I had never seen anything like it before then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_burst

quote:

Extreme cases[edit]
These are cases when temperatures over 56.7 °C (134.1 °F) (the highest officially confirmed in the World, in Death Valley, United States, 1913) were recorded during heat bursts.

Cherokee, Oklahoma, 11 July 1909: at 3:00 in the morning, a heat burst south of Cherokee, Oklahoma reportedly caused the temperature to rise briefly to 136 °F (57.8 °C), desiccating crops in the area.[48]
Kopperl, Texas, United States, 1960: A heat burst sent the air temperature to near 140 °F (60 °C), supposedly causing cotton crops to become desiccated and drying out vegetation.[49]
Portugal, 6 July 1949: A heat burst reportedly drove the air temperature from 38 to 70 °C (100.4 to 158.0 °F) within two minutes, in the region of Figueira da Foz and Coimbra, in central Portugal.[50]
Abadan, Iran, June 1967: An extreme temperature of 87 °C (189 °F) was recorded during a heat burst.[51]

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A reminder that four years ago yesterday, a professional NFL player ran straight into his teammate's rear end to fumble the ball that was then returned for a TD:
http://deadspin.com/5962839/the-jetsiest-jets-play-ever-mark-sanchez-fumbles-after-getting-floored-by-his-linemans-rear end

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

DrBouvenstein posted:

A reminder that four years ago yesterday, a professional NFL player ran straight into his teammate's rear end to fumble the ball that was then returned for a TD:
http://deadspin.com/5962839/the-jetsiest-jets-play-ever-mark-sanchez-fumbles-after-getting-floored-by-his-linemans-rear end

Never forget :patriot: :911:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

As a huge Star Wars fan, I never knew this happened. I'm still in a bit of disbelief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3a5j8PgQxg

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I saw it when it first aired and spent 20 years thinking I had dreamed it all somehow.

Bea Arthur is Star Wars canon.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

As a huge Star Wars fan, I never knew this happened. I'm still in a bit of disbelief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3a5j8PgQxg

Bryant Lake Bowl (& Theater) in Minneapolis is doing their 10th annual screening on the 14th.
Apparently people in Minneapolis like to remind themselves that it exists, yearly. "So terrible that tickets near the exits cost extra."

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

I saw it when it first aired and spent 20 years thinking I had dreamed it all somehow.

Bea Arthur is Star Wars canon.

But it's not canon though.
:goonsay:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Titus Sardonicus posted:

But it's not canon though.
:goonsay:

It used to be rated 'S-canon' under the wacky official Star Wars canon system which meant that authors/creators making Expanded Universe content could ignore it or include it if they wanted but since 2014 all the old sources (except the original 6 movies and the Clone Wars TV series + film) have been declared non-canon. So the Holiday Special used to be canon-ish but it's not any more.

Buuuuuuuuuut

quote:

The Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith art department used the Holiday Special to aid in designing the look of the planet Kashyyyk for the film.
.... so it's not canon but its influence is still around.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I remember as a kid my local library had "The Wookiee Storybook", which was a kids book that spun off of the Holiday Special. It had Lumpy go on some forest hijinks, and had Han and Chewie stop some Lizard Aliens from enslaving Chewie's family and neighbors. The lizards looked close enough to Trandoshans that I'll assume that's where the idea that Boskk and other Trando hunters like himself hunt Wookiees on the reg.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Are the Ewok movies no longer canon? The second one fukkin rocked. It had a force witch and a little girl's family is murdered on screen in the first ten minutes.

E: also, Wilford Brimley murked some motherfuckers hardcore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
The Ewok movies are real?! I legit thought I had dreamt watching then when I was young because my adult mind could not cope with their existence.

• Locked thread