Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Super Waffle posted:

So turns out the two outlets in my parents master bath are in series with the GFCI in the garage on the other side of the house :psyduck:

Reminds me of my last house when I lived in Las Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

When I moved into my house my stove wasn't working right. The lights and fan would turn on but none of the electric elements wouldn't turn on. Turns out the previous owner had poorly spliced on his hot-tub to the dedicated range circuit. And by poorly spliced, he cut the hot run in the crawlspace and twisted the 3 wires together with pliers. No wire nut, no junction box, not even loving electrical tape. It was corroded as hell and I was only getting something like 160v at the range and 240v at the breaker.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Super Waffle posted:

Oh god damnit I was wracking my brain trying to figure out WHY and now it makes sense. First receptacle in the series has to be GFCI, so I guess it technically meets the letter of the code but not the spirit.

Ugh.

But aren't bathrooms also supposed to be on their own circuit/breaker?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
It's normal for multiple bathrooms to be on the same circuit with only one GFCI, it's not normal to have a garage outlet and a bathroom outlet on the same circuit.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

shame on an IGA posted:

What kind of voltage does the third one see with a table saw and blow dryer going at the same time?

Probably about 120v.

:v:

Special A
Nov 6, 2004

TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!

Super Waffle posted:

Oh god damnit I was wracking my brain trying to figure out WHY and now it makes sense. First receptacle in the series has to be GFCI, so I guess it technically meets the letter of the code but not the spirit.

Ugh.

Doesn't meet code either. Bathroom requires its own circuit.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Youth Decay posted:

The whole thing[/url] is impressively tacky, but that catwalk-staircase-indoor column forest thing is just plain weird and pointless since it blocks the light from all those ginormous windows. I wonder how many times the owners have accidentally bonked their head on it.

The ridiculous column forest is there to disguise absolutely craptastic design work - it's holding up the stylish, middle-of-the-room, catwalk. Instead of using just one support however, the designer felt that a forests of columns would somehow make the whole thing less tacky.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

A White Guy posted:

The ridiculous column forest is there to disguise absolutely craptastic design work - it's holding up the stylish, middle-of-the-room, catwalk. Instead of using just one support however, the designer felt that a forests of columns would somehow make the whole thing less tacky.

Probably played The Sims too much; one column supports a 5 x 5 area centered on the column :v:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

A White Guy posted:

What I love about column forest is that it would be better with more columns so they'd break up the space like a proper wall. As it is, they're spaced just far enough apart to look loving random which adds to the pointlessness.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Probably about 120v.

:v:

Perhaps I'm taking "in series with" too literally.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I like the columns. And the swag staircase.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

But aren't bathrooms also supposed to be on their own circuit/breaker?

That probably changed since his place was built. Currently, the code is that bathrooms must have GFCI protected outlets and that either:

1. at least one 20A circuit powers only bathroom outlets. Their lights and fans must be on separate circuits.
2. each bathroom gets its own 20A circuit that powers outlets, lights and fans in that bathroom only.

It really comes down to the construction of the house on the matter of which method would be cheaper. It used to be that cable was cheap and GFCIs were expensive, but that's no longer the case.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 8, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

kid sinister posted:

That probably changed since his place was built. Currently, the code is that bathrooms must have GFCI protected outlets and that either:

1. at least one 20A circuit powers only bathroom outlets. Their lights and fans must be on separate circuits.
2. each bathroom gets its own 20A circuit that powers outlets, lights and fans in that bathroom only.

It really comes down to the construction of the house on the matter of which method would be cheaper. It used to be that cable was cheap and GFCIs were expensive, but that's no longer the case.

Suppose a previous owner added an additional outlet run off the lights circuit so now I have two GFCI outlets in my bathroom. Then what?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
This is way off topic, but this thread seems to have posters that may have an answer. The newest season of American Horror Story is set in a farmhouse that's supposed to have been built on the 1800s. All over the house, on every wall, there's a row of pegs/coat hanger looking things. Sometimes chairs are shown hanging from them, other times candle holders. Anyone know the term for these things? Google has not helped me.

God bless it all, I figured out a Google search that finally got my answer. They are apparently shaker peg rails.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 8, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You're welcome.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japanese tatami rooms have something similar called a nageshi. It is awesome for hanging clothes, art and doodads, esp when the walls are all sliding paper doors or closets.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Suppose a previous owner added an additional outlet run off the lights circuit so now I have two GFCI outlets in my bathroom. Then what?

That would be against code. What was this other outlet ran for in your bathroom? That could potentially violate other rules as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slugworth posted:

This is way off topic, but this thread seems to have posters that may have an answer. The newest season of American Horror Story is set in a farmhouse that's supposed to have been built on the 1800s. All over the house, on every wall, there's a row of pegs/coat hanger looking things. Sometimes chairs are shown hanging from them, other times candle holders. Anyone know the term for these things? Google has not helped me.

God bless it all, I figured out a Google search that finally got my answer. They are apparently shaker peg rails.

See also: picture rails

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Why

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hahahaha, maybe the installer likes that awkward moment when someone gives the door a gentle push to see if it's open and it swings wide, exposing the pooper in all his/her glory.

At least it's a super easy fix, basically zero effort...four screws, pull the handles, flip the latch, replace the handles, replace the screws.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

Hahahaha, maybe the installer likes that awkward moment when someone gives the door a gentle push to see if it's open and it swings wide, exposing the pooper in all his/her glory.

At least it's a super easy fix, basically zero effort...four screws, pull the handles, flip the latch, replace the handles, replace the screws.

More like two screws. I don't see any screws in the latch plate. At least they did something useful by accident, although you'll need to go out and get the screws now.

Looks like someone smashed that door in at some point, and then immediately tried to "fix" it while still drunk.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

As of August, that latch was installed in the correct direction. Someone made the decision to remove it and reinstall it backwards within the last 90 days. I don't know who, or why.

The door actually stays shut though. You just have to turn the knob to shut it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Maybe they don't want a pet shutting themselves in there. (I'm really just super guessing here)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe they want the door open a crack for fresh air while they're standing at a nearby sink, but kept accidentally closing it?

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Or they keep the litter box in the bathroom and want to make sure they don't accidentally shut the cat out when they're not home?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

They don't have a cat.

To add to the mystery, there IS a litterbox outside the bathroom. I don't know who or what shits in it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

No, see, it's a pioneering new system where you use the same conduit to carry both electrical cables and water. It saves on laying pipe! :pseudo:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No, see, it's a pioneering new system where you use the same conduit to carry both electrical cables and water. It saves on laying pipe! :pseudo:

https://youtu.be/CXhfkuK9KaM

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hey, water is conductive. Nothing can go wrong with this.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hey, water is conductive. Nothing can go wrong with this.

Good point! Mix enough minerals in and you probably don't even need the cable!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I know what plugs into there!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I was woken up by the sound of running water thanks to a blown water connector in a bathroom which nicely wrecked the ceiling below, went through the kitchen underneath and down into the separate flat below, seriously wrecking their poo poo. Turns out the one old connector that hadn't just been replaced had failed which is wonderful, though I guess better now than a month later when there's a new floor down.

Damage isn't too bad considering as the water kind of drained straight through but one thing is odd: the RCD tripped as the water must have grounded out between the lights it was joyfully pouring through and the earth wire on the old copper pipes and this shut down everything except for one of the lighting circuits. Shouldn't everything be 'behind' the RCD or are lights treated as unearthed so just rely on a fuse?

Edit: yeah this is it, no requirement to put lights on the rcd because they aren't earthed but the second set of lights that were just installed are on a new panel that must be on the rcd. So that means that the switch to the lights the water was flowing through must have been hot. I'd have expected the whole panel to trip if the RCD goes though!

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 10, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm staying in a hotel room this week, and for some dumb reason the heater blows up the wall directly at the thermostat two feet above it. It's been fun listening to the heat kick on for about 10 seconds every half hour.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

I'm staying in a hotel room this week, and for some dumb reason the heater blows up the wall directly at the thermostat two feet above it. It's been fun listening to the heat kick on for about 10 seconds every half hour.

I don't know what you have access to wherever you are traveling, but mask off the top of the thermostat with tape, fill a ziploc with ice and set it on top.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I was woken up by the sound of running water thanks to a blown water connector in a bathroom which nicely wrecked the ceiling below, went through the kitchen underneath and down into the separate flat below, seriously wrecking their poo poo. Turns out the one old connector that hadn't just been replaced had failed which is wonderful, though I guess better now than a month later when there's a new floor down.

Damage isn't too bad considering as the water kind of drained straight through but one thing is odd: the RCD tripped as the water must have grounded out between the lights it was joyfully pouring through and the earth wire on the old copper pipes and this shut down everything except for one of the lighting circuits. Shouldn't everything be 'behind' the RCD or are lights treated as unearthed so just rely on a fuse?

Edit: yeah this is it, no requirement to put lights on the rcd because they aren't earthed but the second set of lights that were just installed are on a new panel that must be on the rcd. So that means that the switch to the lights the water was flowing through must have been hot. I'd have expected the whole panel to trip if the RCD goes though!

Generally, it's good practice to keep light circuits separate from outlet circuits since it's mostly things plugged in that trip circuits. That way if you trip a circuit at night, you won't find yourself in the dark.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

I don't know what you have access to wherever you are traveling, but mask off the top of the thermostat with tape, fill a ziploc with ice and set it on top.

That's a pretty good idea. The room warmed up eventually when I left the heat going in burst mode all day, and it's at a pretty okay temp now. I think it's just hilarious where they chose to put the drat thing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Crappy construction: My lightbulb hacked your lightbulb

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/11/10/iot_worm_can_hack_philips_hue_lightbulbs_spread_across_cities/

quote:

The software nasty, detailed in a paper titled IoT Goes Nuclear: Creating a ZigBee Chain Reaction [PDF], exploits hardcoded symmetric encryption keys to control devices over Zigbee wireless networks. This allows the malware to compromise a single light globe from up to 400 metres away.

The worm can then spread from a single smart bulb to those nearby thanks to the use of these skeleton keys.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Manhattan?