Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

ChaosArgate posted:

It's probably ok if the conditions are godawful, like what you described, but if it's a perfectly nice day out, then there's really no reason to ask if some stranger needs a ride.

They might need a ride though... I've picked up people over time that were stranded and, somehow, I didn't die. Maybe there are murderers out their, but I've never run into one. Every day is filled with danger, but yet we live.

Never be afraid. Be cautious. But never be afraid.

Unless it's Grizzly bears. gently caress them. Also rabbits. They're assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think the person more likely to be in danger is the one accepting the ride, not offering one.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Yeah, I wouldn't accept a ride from anyone I didn't know or call for unless I was in desperate need

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
At the local park, right under the huge DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS sign, people feeding the ducks and geese. Because the former will run if you go after them, but the latter will loving chase you if you don't have food for them and try to walk by. I learned a few things working at the zoo, and one is that the first time a bird has you, it will never forget. That's why my first time in with the male rhea, when he came after me, I charged him. And why, when that trio of loving geese rushed me, I ran at them, and made enough noise the fuckers backed off.

gently caress geese and gently caress the fuckers who feed them.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Cowslips you're my hero. I couldn't run towards a goose if someone paid me a million dollars in gold. A trio? I'd just be feeding the geese with my cold, dead corpse. Cause they'd birder me for sure. Geese are just bags of hate and poo poo covered in feathers.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
In HS we used to have to play sports in a field full of geese and goose poo poo. Honestly the goose poo poo was the worst part because our sneakers were ruined the first day we went outside.

Pet peeve: rear end in a top hat gym teachers.

E: they would just sit on the CLEAN benches blowing whistles for no apparent reason.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Nov 10, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

IT/tech support people who demand to know why you want to do what you are asking them. I don't care if it's not the "standard" way to do it, just tell me how to do it if you know. If you don't know, just say that, don't stall and ask for my system information and telling me to update my drivers while you frantically google how to do the thing. If you could find the solution on google I wouldn't be coming to you assholes.

Also: people in conferences/anything with coffee breaks that get their coffee and their circle of people just park themselves right in front of it. There is a lot of room in here, get away from the coffee table so other people can easily get it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

yeah I eat rear end posted:

IT/tech support people who demand to know why you want to do what you are asking them. I don't care if it's not the "standard" way to do it, just tell me how to do it if you know. If you don't know, just say that, don't stall and ask for my system information and telling me to update my drivers while you frantically google how to do the thing. If you could find the solution on google I wouldn't be coming to you assholes.

Also: people in conferences/anything with coffee breaks that get their coffee and their circle of people just park themselves right in front of it. There is a lot of room in here, get away from the coffee table so other people can easily get it.

Mine is people who think they know what they want to happen, but won't tell you what their drat end goal is, because I might know the way you're asking about won't work, or is suboptimal. Just loving tell me why you're trying to do it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Mine is people who think they know what they want to happen, but won't tell you what their drat end goal is, because I might know the way you're asking about won't work, or is suboptimal. Just loving tell me why you're trying to do it.

To me it's like a mechanic asking a customer why they want their air conditioner fixed. I just want to do the thing I asked you to make possible, I don't care if it's suboptimal and if it's not going to work I'll figure that out myself. It takes too long to describe the full background of what I'm doing.

The issue that prompted that post was I wanted to know if there is an xterm+ssh client compatible with windows because putty can't do the xterm part. That's all. I was confronted with a bunch of "why would you ever want to do that?". Who cares why I want it? The way to do it either exists or it doesn't (as I eventually found out, it does), I don't care if you think it's "stupid".

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I get fuckin 34 mpg on average, guy

To be fair, 34 does sound really poor for a Mini. Are you carrying huge rocks around in second gear or something?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Every time I see a goose I want to hammer throw that fucker across a lake - Canada geese especially, they're fat assholes

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

fizzymercy posted:

Cowslips you're my hero. I couldn't run towards a goose if someone paid me a million dollars in gold. A trio? I'd just be feeding the geese with my cold, dead corpse. Cause they'd birder me for sure. Geese are just bags of hate and poo poo covered in feathers.

Don't get the parade yet, they aren't big geese.

With the rhea I did have an ancient rake, if that lessens me further in your eyes. But I was also empowered by the fact I had killed a peacock (accidentally and alone at night but gently caress those birds can be nasty too) a bit before I had to go in with the rhea, and with a huge crowd of assholes cheering as the bird ran at me, I wasn't giving the fuckers a free show.

Maraboo storks scared the poo poo out of me the first time I had to go in their enclosure, but when I brought them some thawed dead mice from my home stash of snake food, they were cool with me with the bribe. One mouse each and they spent the next 20 minutes chasing each other to steal the other mouse away.

drat I need to make a zoo thread.

Here, peeve: the loving petitions all over the place about somehow, with This One Trick Congress Hates!, getting Bernie Sanders in the White House, usually with some loophole on impeaching Trump and Pence on some....charge, of some kind? Dude, it's loving over. Stop beating the dead goose.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
My fear is that (and I know this is pretty unsubstantiated) if impeachment happens and for some reason Trump is taken out of office...Pence takes over then, right? I'd rather have an oversized, bumble-headed Cheeto for a president than a legitimately malicious, cruel, comically-evil, actually dangerous person in office.

That is the kindest thing I have ever had (or will have) to say about Donald Trump.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Maggie Fletcher posted:

My fear is that (and I know this is pretty unsubstantiated) if impeachment happens and for some reason Trump is taken out of office...Pence takes over then, right? I'd rather have an oversized, bumble-headed Cheeto for a president than a legitimately malicious, cruel, comically-evil, actually dangerous person in office.

That is the kindest thing I have ever had (or will have) to say about Donald Trump.

If you need birth control, I'd get an IUD now, because the birth control mandate is on the chopping block.

Also, it's not like Pence has no input.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
A minor pet peeve: people seem to be under the impression that "early photography had long exposure times" means "it took a full minute and a half to expose anything until they invented color film". This is not correct. Exposure times in the 1830s were from several seconds to a full minute, but by loving 1840 they had already come up with faster lenses that cut that exposure time down by 90%, and by the 1880s you're looking at times perfectly acceptable for modern photography (as long as the place was outdoors or otherwise well-lit, anyway). The Kodak Brownie came out in 1901 and it made SNAPSHOTS which are so called because they are AS QUICK AS A SNAP. By 1907 they had lenses that would allow for exposure times of 1/1000th of a second. But people will see a goddamn photo from 1932 that's blurry because somebody was loving moving (pro tip: most of the time if somebody's actually moving when you take the picture even now that picture will end up blurry!!) and blame it on "how long exposure times were back then," or express amazement that a photo from the 1910s has somebody smiling when "they would have had to keep their face like that for so long!" No. Early photography means really loving early, not before I personally was born
e: lmao I already loving complained about this in this thread a while ago. I just forgot about that post, and got reminded of the phenomenon today (my second example above was what I ran into)

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 21:48 on Nov 11, 2016

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
That is an extremely niche thing to get annoyed about twice. Like impressively niche.

My peeve: I want to do a pub quiz but they're showing football so it's delayed by like a half hour. I can understand why because football fans drink more than quiz nerds but I just want to quiz and get me through a Friday, come on guy

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I know it's a few pages back but I just wanted to update on microwave chat and how I'd previously said no one's ever going to use the time you left on there...I just went into the caf, jammed a few buttons, got irritated, and then saw the previous person had left the exact amount of time I needed.

The last month has been really poo poo for me, and it made me irrationally happy.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I hate that Facebook shows me things that I cannot comment on. For instance, my sister just commented on something that was shared by a friend of hers, but even though Facebook shows me the article and my sister's comment, I cannot add to the discussion since that article wasn't shared by one of my friends. At least I think that's how/why that works.

Just don't show it to me then, Facebook!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inspector 34 posted:

I hate that Facebook shows me things that I cannot comment on. For instance, my sister just commented on something that was shared by a friend of hers, but even though Facebook shows me the article and my sister's comment, I cannot add to the discussion since that article wasn't shared by one of my friends. At least I think that's how/why that works.

Just don't show it to me then, Facebook!

I can't remember how to do it, but there's a setting somewhere that restricts who can comment on your posts and it's separate to the setting for who can see them, so you can make your posts public but still only allow people you actually know to comment on them. Which actually seems pretty reasonable to me.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this is more of a First World Problem, but my mouth always seems to want to drink more milk than my stomach wants milk in it.

This leads to my tongue recommending that I drink a lot of it, cuz it's so cold and tasty, and then I feel gross because my stomach is like 70% milk. Ugh.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if this is more of a First World Problem, but my mouth always seems to want to drink more milk than my stomach wants milk in it.

This leads to my tongue recommending that I drink a lot of it, cuz it's so cold and tasty, and then I feel gross because my stomach is like 70% milk. Ugh.

:same:
Milk is delicious. I've never broken a bone, despite falling out of trees as a kid and getting into multiple car accidents. Coincidence?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I am so loving sick of hearing the world "mindfulness."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

At first I only ever saw it in that really weird E/N thread but it is spreading. I hate hearing the question "have you heard of mindfulness meditation?". Yes, I have heard of it and it sounds like new-agey sounding bullshit from a self-help book written to specifically appeal to stoners.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Two more:

People who say "period." Like, "I don't have sex with men, Period." Then it turns out they do have sex with men. (This is just an example from a trash TV I'm watching right now, but it relates to anyone who uses "period".) People use this too much to "emphasize" that they're not lying, but it's bullshit and a lie. "I am totally telling the truth. Period." NO.

People who fart, when alone, in an elevator and then leave. WHY??? Do they like the smell of their poisonous methane filled farts? The worst part is--past that I can't loving breathe in the first place-- is when after farter leaves, someone else comes in and undoubtedly thinks I did it.

At first I only ever saw it in that really weird E/N thread but it is spreading. I hate hearing the question "have you heard of mindfulness meditation?". Yes, I have heard of it and it sounds like new-agey sounding bullshit from a self-help book written to specifically appeal to stoners.

I'm gonna reply to this more later. I do not like mindfulness anymore.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It actually is hugely useful for people with bad depression or anxiety, apparently also helps with PTSD, and iirc is taught as part of dialectical behavioral therapy, which draws on Buddhist teachings and psychological research, having been invented by a psychologist and a Buddhist monk. DBT is also one of the few therapeutic approaches that has been shown to work with Borderline Personality Disorder.

Peeve: people who condescendingly dismiss poo poo they don't know anything about.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

People who say "period." Like, "I don't have sex with men, Period." Then it turns out they do have sex with men. (This is just an example from a trash TV I'm watching right now, but it relates to anyone who uses "period".) People use this too much to "emphasize" that they're not lying, but it's bullshit and a lie. "I am totally telling the truth. Period." NO.

Even worse are the people who say "full stop" instead of period. Also people who flip out when I put two spaces after my periods.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It actually is hugely useful for people with bad depression or anxiety, apparently also helps with PTSD, and iirc is taught as part of dialectical behavioral therapy, which draws on Buddhist teachings and psychological research, having been invented by a psychologist and a Buddhist monk. DBT is also one of the few therapeutic approaches that has been shown to work with Borderline Personality Disorder.

Peeve: people who condescendingly dismiss poo poo they don't know anything about.

I never said it's not useful, just that it sounds like bullshit and the people who talk about it sound like cultists.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

I never said it's not useful, just that it sounds like bullshit and the people who talk about it sound like cultists.

Here's a concise summary of how it can be useful, explained by cartoons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHg50mdODFM

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

Here's a concise summary of how it can be useful, explained by cartoons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHg50mdODFM

Saw what it was from, didn't watch. Peeve: people who get really mad when their favorite thing gets insulted in this thread. Just read the e/n thread, it's like they think it is magic and the way you talk about the founder is just weird and worship-y.

e: it's also not surprising at all that the same people who like that show are into something like that.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 18:09 on Nov 13, 2016

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
When I hear the word culture mindfulness, I reach for my gun katana.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The issue that prompted that post was I wanted to know if there is an xterm+ssh client compatible with windows because putty can't do the xterm part. That's all. I was confronted with a bunch of "why would you ever want to do that?". Who cares why I want it? The way to do it either exists or it doesn't (as I eventually found out, it does), I don't care if you think it's "stupid".

Okay, for a situation like that, I'm on your side. I was thinking more stuff I've had to deal with where people are like "I want to upgrade this ten year old program on this fifteen year old computer."

It really does sound like bullshit, and I resisted using it for a long time because of it, but yeah, for severe depression cases, it's good. The name is super stupid though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Thin Privilege posted:

I did nine months in-patient drug rehabilitation. This word shows up at least once every single sentence spoken and at least twelve times per stupid loving comic sans inspirational quote.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
When you don't know something but it's something so mundane you are embarrassed to ask anyone about it. And when you do ask, laughs.

Yesterday my mom asked me what our modem does. Connect us to the Internet, why? She then asked what the router was for. I had no answer other than the same. So she asked a tech guy at work and he laughed at her, and asked why anyone wouldn't know something so loving simple.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
That tech guy was an rear end in a top hat, but teach your mom to Google stuff!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cowslips Warren posted:

When you don't know something but it's something so mundane you are embarrassed to ask anyone about it. And when you do ask, laughs.

Yesterday my mom asked me what our modem does. Connect us to the Internet, why? She then asked what the router was for. I had no answer other than the same. So she asked a tech guy at work and he laughed at her, and asked why anyone wouldn't know something so loving simple.

What sort of idiot expects non-IT people to know what a router is? I tend to think that when people give those sort of dismissive/insulting non-answers, they're just covering for their own lack of knowledge or inability to explain it because they don't want to look dumb themself.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah that's a dick move. It's not like she was asking how to hold a spoon. There is still a large portion of the population that spent the majority of their life without Internet.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Honestly, what's so hard about answering a question like that? How will laughing benefit anyone? gently caress that guy.

Tiggum posted:

What sort of idiot expects non-IT people to know what a router is? I tend to think that when people give those sort of dismissive/insulting non-answers, they're just covering for their own lack of knowledge or inability to explain it because they don't want to look dumb themself.

Also this.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Hey, The Snoo, how'd your noisy neighbor situation pan out? Did you end up getting called to testify in court? Or did duder just take off?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

artsy fartsy posted:

That tech guy was an rear end in a top hat, but teach your mom to Google stuff!

I tried, but poo poo even I don't really know how to explain it.

It's like when you can't spell a word and you're told to look it up. Pre internet, pre cell phone, use a dictionary. Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

I tried, but poo poo even I don't really know how to explain it.

It's like when you can't spell a word and you're told to look it up. Pre internet, pre cell phone, use a dictionary. Really?

A modem (modulator-demodulator) interprets the signal from a phone line or cable/fibre optic line so a computer can use it and vice versa while a router serves as a base for networking, "routing" signals from what it is connected to.