Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Cowcaster posted:

we're not talking about that, there's a persistent urban legend that if you bubble a reinhardt, shooting reinhardt's shield in any location will build zarya's charge.

That may be what you're talking about, but there seemed to be a lot of confusion over what Zarya's shield does and how it works. And the answer is it is a physical object, not a visual indicator, and you can give Zarya charge if you shoot the middle of the shield. The charge doesn't have to come from damage that goes through the shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Speaking of physical objects, the football in the attackers spawn at Anubis has been nerfed on PTR. You can't put turrets/mines on it any more.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Is it just me or is it really hard to get decent games on the PTR? Like, I get that it's PTR so it doesn't count and nothing matters and nobody gives a gently caress, but I kind of think Overwatch is more fun when you have a sensible team with tanks and healers and nobody trolling or leaving the game because they didn't get Sombra and that never seems to happen. It sucks 'cause I'd like to play with the new changes but the games just aren't any fun.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Apologies if mentioned already but has Blizzard said if Sombra will be going on live servers this week?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Opposing Farce posted:

Is it just me or is it really hard to get decent games on the PTR? Like, I get that it's PTR so it doesn't count and nothing matters and nobody gives a gently caress, but I kind of think Overwatch is more fun when you have a sensible team with tanks and healers and nobody trolling or leaving the game because they didn't get Sombra and that never seems to happen. It sucks 'cause I'd like to play with the new changes but the games just aren't any fun.

the PTR is not for worrying about balance issues it is for worrying about game breaking bugs. That is why a lot of things go through the PTR just fine but get tweaked on live.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Kashuno posted:

the PTR is not for worrying about balance issues it is for worrying about game breaking bugs. That is why a lot of things go through the PTR just fine but get tweaked on live.

Though, to be fair, they've said that they want to use the PTR to test some of the more drastic balance changes as well (see D.Va's health buff and Ult generation reduction for this patch).

Emulator
Sep 20, 2007
perma-nub

Edmond Dantes posted:

Nope, bubbling a shielding Rein does not build charge.

/ninja edit: Unless he's hit with something that goes through his shield, like Winston's gun, Sym's balls or a Firestrike.

I'm actually pretty sure it does, but requires Zarya's actual shield to be hit like what someone said earlier, shooting the edges of Reinhardt's shield won't build charge but if he takes damage in the middle of the shield it does. Unless they patched something more recently.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Emulator posted:

I'm actually pretty sure it does, but requires Zarya's actual shield to be hit like what someone said earlier, shooting the edges of Reinhardt's shield won't build charge but if he takes damage in the middle of the shield it does. Unless they patched something more recently.

Semantics but that's because you're not hitting Rein's shield at all, you're hitting the edge of the Zarya bubble that extends beyond the shield

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

keyframe posted:

Apologies if mentioned already but has Blizzard said if Sombra will be going on live servers this week?

I don't think there's an official ETA, but they did mention patching between seasons, so it's possible they bring her over with the new changes after Thanksgiving.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Kashuno posted:

Previous PTRs were about bugs rather than balance issues, but Blizzard has explicitly said this time around they want to get feedback on balance changes and do more tweaking before the patch goes live.

keyframe posted:

I'm not expecting the patch to go live until Season 2 ends.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

isn't season 2 is supposed to end on like the 24th? I'd expect the ptr patch to go live a little before that

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Opposing Farce posted:

Playing on the PTR always seems to be a miserable experience, especially when a new character drops...quick play didn't have 1HL when Ana dropped but all that meant was that every QP game was like 3+ Anas all the time, meanwhile PTR comp has always been rife with leavers.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Ok ok ok how about release Sombra from the PTR next week buuutt don't make her available in competitive mode?

'Well done Ronnie' :golfclap:

'Yeah nice job Ronnie' :golfclap:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ana was released mid season and was both allowed in comp and barely ever played in comp. it won't be an issue

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Re: Bubbling a shielding Reinhardt.

I didn't know about that bit of bubble sticking out the middle of the shield. I stand corrected, I learned something new today.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

ana was released mid season and was both allowed in comp and barely ever played in comp. it won't be an issue

they've gone on record saying they don't want to do that again though

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
The PTR has an "end of season 2" screen and placements for season 3 in competitive. That doesn't guarantee it will come out at the end but it makes the most sense.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Redundant posted:

Like about 90% of the heroes the answer to this is McCree at long range, Reaper at short range.

I know they're not exactly hard counters, but there aren't really that many hard counters in the game. Winston v Reaper, D.Va v Zarya and....

I've played Mei a lot and Reaper is especially obnoxious because if he doesn't land a couple meatshots on me to start, he just Wraith Forms away and starts over.

Also, Junkrat's trap being put on you while you Iceblock yourself is usually death.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Slowpoke! posted:

Also, Junkrat's trap being put on you while you Iceblock yourself is usually death.

IIRC you can icewall underneath yourself (or whoever gets trapped) and it breaks it.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I really want an in depth guide to using lucios boops. I swear no matter what I try I only ever send people like one foot away whereas when I get hit I get sent across the entirety of a capture point. An enemy lucio and I ran directly at each other and booped at the same time. He went nowhere and I nearly got sent off the edge from the middle of the ilios lighthouse capture.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
theres some counter intuitive stuff to some of that poo poo

i know at least with pharah its often good to try to do things like shoot her bounce thing at a nearby wall rather than at the ground since otherwise they just get stuck on the ground instantly

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's a huge loving bummer when you just have a loving awesome offensive and healing combo game as Lucio and you still end up losing, but I guess it gets balanced out in the next game where you don't play that well, but go against a team where someone kept trying to be a flanker with Bastion/Sym/Torb and we win easily.

---

Is it possible to carry someone in placements or will the game still figure out you're bad and rate you appropriately?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

they've gone on record saying they don't want to do that again though

Does that mean one hero a season then?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

They didn't say anything about that. Just that releasing a game-changing character midseason was something they weren't going to do from here on out.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Although in this video from a month ago Jeff does mention that they already have a character past sombra in the works already with placeholder assets, that probably won't show up until next year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9bF6wyCDU4&t=520s

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
The fluid iteration system they have in place where they can just mess with a hero and load it straight into an already running game sounds super fun. Many (most?) devs have something like that running I guess, but the idea of just tweaking a new hero, clicking a button and messing about with that just sounds like a blast.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kehveli posted:

The fluid iteration system they have in place where they can just mess with a hero and load it straight into an already running game sounds super fun. Many (most?) devs have something like that running I guess, but the idea of just tweaking a new hero, clicking a button and messing about with that just sounds like a blast.

I think DOTA 2 worked this way for some time if I'm not misremembering, it's just that a lot of companies have caught on to the fact that having unique characters in your game = good

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Does that mean one hero a season then?

And does it mean game and map updates per season also?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I found that I really enjoy this game if I solo queue and turn off the voice/text chat. Whenever I get in a group or voice chat people get loving tilted right away and try to armchair general everything and suck the fun out of this game. And I am not some career Hanzo/Torb picker I pick whatever is necessary for the comp.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I swear something really weird is up with the Overtime and recognition that a player is in the zone. Many times I've been dashing into it to save it, or seen someone else appear to get in before the bar runs out, but then it runs out anyway. And the weirdest thing I've seen was when we won a game which was in OT, none of our guys on the point but three of theirs were. Like standing in the middle. After the game they were all furiously typing WTF, and from my perspective as I was bouncing over, they all really were on point even though they lost.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Jeza posted:

I swear something really weird is up with the Overtime and recognition that a player is in the zone. Many times I've been dashing into it to save it, or seen someone else appear to get in before the bar runs out, but then it runs out anyway. And the weirdest thing I've seen was when we won a game which was in OT, none of our guys on the point but three of theirs were. Like standing in the middle. After the game they were all furiously typing WTF, and from my perspective as I was bouncing over, they all really were on point even though they lost.

I've had this happen as well

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
"but i was on the point...?" is definitely something I hear and think a lot when playing, even from people who aren't prone to exaggeration. I don't know if it's a lag thing or what.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
It probably is just lag. I've had a few times where I get shot and die when i'm fully around a corner and the playback shows it definitely different from what I actually played.
Speaking of oddities, is it just me or is there an odd bug that comes up every so often; sometimes i'll have full health, get grazed by something that definitely shouldn't kill me in one hit, and just drop dead on the spot. It rarely happens but some of my deaths have been really drat suspicious.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

I Said No posted:

It probably is just lag. I've had a few times where I get shot and die when i'm fully around a corner and the playback shows it definitely different from what I actually played.
Speaking of oddities, is it just me or is there an odd bug that comes up every so often; sometimes i'll have full health, get grazed by something that definitely shouldn't kill me in one hit, and just drop dead on the spot. It rarely happens but some of my deaths have been really drat suspicious.

The latency issue is fairly common but most people don't notice it. When you start paying attention to your location right before you die, you'll see that what the server is reporting your position sometimes where you've never even been: once I was running towards a corner and died before I even stepped out. The playback showed me stepping almost an entire foot around the corner.

As for the other bug, I dunno, I've had projectiles sometimes deal what feels like double damage. (Hanjo arrow to the foot one-shotted my Mei.) but never really noticed with hitscan.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Thanks goons who let me play with you tonight even though I just bought the game tonight. Had fun, glad I wasn't total poo poo.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
God drat it, Junkrat. >:(

https://clips.twitch.tv/hungriterri/CuriousBatKappaRoss

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Just a couple of feet further back and that would have been really cool.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I somehow managed to get a lucky sextuple kill with Genji's ult in a completely asinine all-Genji vs all-Hanzo Koth quickplay a week back or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMGf4-PwCWc

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

I Said No posted:

I've had this happen a bit. For me it almost always seems to be with Reinhardt's fire strike or Roadhog's hook. I also had it happen the other way around, where I threw a firestrike and wiped a team, who then proceeded to go apeshit about hacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The game is terrible at giving feedback on whether or not you're damaged.