Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What happened to RSVP? It seems good, no spending money on breakers to break future subs, and is effectively a hard ETR in front of trashable assets (especially with Prisec around now) I know, I know, "positional ICE," but for corps that can't spare the influence for Chum, it seems super strong, and it's in that sweet spot of code gates where it's Yog and David-proof (NRE can DIAF)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I know, I know, "positional ICE," [...] (NRE can DIAF)

Objection, asked and answered.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
RSVP didn't see play back in the day because all it takes for Yog to got through is a single sucker token. As for today, there's been a lot of power creep in the rez cost/tax ratio, especially for NBN. 1 credit more gets you Archangel, 2 credits more Little Engine.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's pretty funny in Gagarin at least.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Scoured some eBay sold listings and undercut

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I am interested in that Femme for sure.

10bux?

Voodoofly posted:

I'd take all the Crim cards. Don't need the polops but will take them anyway if it is easier for
You to sell them in one go

Edit: I'd be interested in others as well depending on price (I have no idea what they normally would run), but the crim cards are definitely my top interest

70 bux? If Femme above falls through add +7bux

plester1 posted:

I'd be interested in the anarch stuff, EtF, and maybe even the funky foil core IDs.

170bux?

berenzen posted:

I'd be interested in a playset pop-ups, the Jackson's and a plascrete, depending on price.

20bux (Assuming you literally mean 1 plascrete)

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Main reason I personally stopped RSVP is still Atman and how much awesome 4 str ice there is. Also MWL for NAPD contract.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

What happened to RSVP? It seems good, no spending money on breakers to break future subs, and is effectively a hard ETR in front of trashable assets (especially with Prisec around now) I know, I know, "positional ICE," but for corps that can't spare the influence for Chum, it seems super strong, and it's in that sweet spot of code gates where it's Yog and David-proof (NRE can DIAF)
Its cost/strength ratio isn't great. 3 for 4 strength and one sub isn't amazing especially compared to newer stuff like Fairchild or Aiki or whatever. Even in-faction Little Engine and Archangel just seem better in 90% of cases and they don't suffer from being positional either.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

djfooboo posted:

70 bux? If Femme above falls through add +7bux

Sure. Send me a pm with best way to pay you once you know on the femme.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Here's some Worlds data. Weyland: officially better than Jinteki.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Oh, and ID-specific data (all of these via Stimhack)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 11, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

djfooboo posted:

10bux?

Sounds good to me. Lets work out the details via email. Mine is my username at gmail.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

djfooboo posted:

I'll take a Gordian and a Corroder if the deal for the corroder doesn't complete.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Zephro posted:

Oh, and ID-specific data (all of these via Stimhack)

Thanks a ton for posting this, it's super interesting.

Cool to see at least one Adam made it to top 64. Surprised there were no Nulls, though.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Cool to see at least one Adam made it to top 64. Surprised there were no Nulls, though.

Probably mostly as a meta call. Hate Bear translates pretty well to a higher strength ICE meta as Null.

djfooboo posted:

20bux (Assuming you literally mean 1 plascrete)

Yeah, 1 plascrete. And that sounds good. Email is berenzenSA@Gmail.com

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

https://drafts.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/11/11/terminal-directive/

Terminal Directive is a narrative campaign expansion for Android: Netrunner The Card Game. It comes with 86 Corporation cards and 77 Runner cards, including identities for the Criminal, Shaper, Haas-Bioroid, and Weyland Consortium factions. Two PAD sheets, one sticker sheet, one rulebook, and four secret packs of campaign cards and stickers allow you to track your progress. Altogether, along with the Android: Netrunner Core Set, Terminal Directive comes with everything you and a friend need to enjoy a thrilling, ongoing murder investigation in the Android universe in which your cyberstruggles and decisions directly impact the cards and stickers to which you gain access. Terminal Directive is scheduled to arrive at retailers in the first quarter of 2017!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Terminal Directive

It looks cool! Are the cards tourney legal? How the hell does that work? :iiam:

Edit: Appears to be tournament legal. Still, how rotation do?

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 11, 2016

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Yeah, my bet is that they're legal cards added to the pool. I guess this is what they're doing instead of big boxes now? Sign me up!

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001
That's crazy. Hard to understand from the article how it works. It seems like a solo quest but when you add a second player you are competing?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I think it's something along the lines of the campaigns and such for LotR and Arkham, but the cards will be tournament legal as a Big box sort of thing maybe?

E: Looks like it's Crim, Shaper, HB and Weyland support as well.

Edit Edit:

quote:

Two PAD sheets, one sticker sheet, one rulebook, and four data sets of campaign cards and stickers allow you to track your progress, even as the expansion provides a massive infusion to your standard, tournament-legal Android: Netrunner matches with 163 new cards (86 Corp and 77 Runner) divided between the Criminal, Shaper, Haas-Bioroid, and Weyland Consortium factions, as well as neutral.

VV: Product page state ADN42, so yeah it's the missing product code

berenzen fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 11, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Huh, I wonder if that's the new product with the missing product code, rather than a Core 2.0

I was literally just about to my post my dumb pet theory about how Core 2.0 will hit and Noise will be replaced by Null. gently caress it, I'll do it anyway:

Core 2.0 will happen and Noise will be replaced by Null.

- Why get rid of Noise? Because Noise is weird. His ability is so unusual that he's virtually his own mini-faction. His presence seriously warps the design space for Virus cards. He is a big reason for the existence of Jackson Howard, a super-potent card that we know Damon does not like and is rotating out. Having Noise never rotate is awkward for the design of the game in future.

- Why replace him with Null? Null is weird too. It's unusual to get two IDs from the same faction within a cycle (though not unprecedented; see Fisk and Geist, for instance). However it's really unusual for them to print an ID without any obvious support cards. Null has no console, no signature icebreakers, no resources, no events. However, he does fit *extremely* well with the core-set Anarch breakers, and with programs like Parasite and Datasucker.

- I have an uncle who works at Nintendo FFG.

Lump Shaker posted:

That's crazy. Hard to understand from the article how it works. It seems like a solo quest but when you add a second player you are competing?
It looks a bit like Pandemic Legacy in that there's an over-arching campaign and your actions during it affect what happens later. They say it's for you and one buddy, one picks Runner and one picks Corp, you can't ever switch factions. The implication / my guess is you have to play with some/all of the included cards in your decks, you play a bunch of games of Netrunner with weird and unusual victory conditions and the story unfolds according to what happens in those games. It sounds pretty cool.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 11, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I have some store credit and I'm itching to play Netrunner again. How good of a game would we be able to have if I just bought two cores and all of the big box sets, ignoring data packs completely? Would the factions all be flashed out and relatively balanced?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bottom Liner posted:

Would the factions all be flashed out and relatively balanced?

Maybe yes to the former, lol no to the latter.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

I have some store credit and I'm itching to play Netrunner again. How good of a game would we be able to have if I just bought two cores and all of the big box sets, ignoring data packs completely? Would the factions all be flashed out and relatively balanced?

I'd just buy one core set and whatever selection of big boxes/data packs strikes your fancy. If you're not being super competitive add them to you card pool as you go along! You can have a fairly different experience that way and it allows for a lot of creativity in deck building

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
If you're playing and deckbuilding with friends who don't own the game, that should be a decent selection of cards to play with.

If you want to play Netrunner competitively, not really. Most competitive decks have some key cards in them from datapacks, without which the whole archetype can't function. You need 3/2 agendas for Fast Advance, you need protective upgrades like Caprice or Ash for Glacier decks, etc. Also, I'm not quite sure what kind of meat damage protection runners have with just your selection. I've Had Worse, Crash Space, Heartbeat. Anything else?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've been reluctant to dive heavily into competitive Netrunner due to my general impressions of how wonky the balance is buuuuuuuuut some sort of campaign dealie sounds like it'll be worth picking up. I'm still waiting on FFG to announce an Android RPG, especially now that the 40K RPGs are done.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
I wonder if we are going to see support for this new format on Jinteki.net

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I went to play magic tonight and there were only like 5 people so I played a half-assed game of Netrunner with another guy. He was reading the instructions and we just jumped in and I think we did stuff right. Then another guy that was playing magic said, "Oh, Netrunner cards. I haven't played that in a long time!" We played a little bit then and he showed me some more stuff. He said he would bring in some spare identity cards, since the data packs evidently contain 3 of each of those, which is pretty cool. I was trying to liken some stuff in the game to similar effects in magic, but there isn't really a whole lot of similarity in gameplay. I like the face down cards aspect a ton. I grabbed up 5 agenda points as a runner and I think I was winning, but we got into a grind match with no credits on either side and the guy had to go. All in all it was fun. I really want to keep playing. I've found at least one other person that plays/has played, one person that is interested and is trying to figure it out with me, and a couple more guys that I know of that play.

I really wanna play like a ton and with all the sweet data pack/expansion cards!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Jinteki.net is your friend! Welcome to the game!

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Seconding https://jinteki.net. Community is typically pretty good with newbies, and has full card support for almost every released card, aside from some janky ones.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I've been reluctant to dive heavily into competitive Netrunner due to my general impressions of how wonky the balance is buuuuuuuuut some sort of campaign dealie sounds like it'll be worth picking up. I'm still waiting on FFG to announce an Android RPG, especially now that the 40K RPGs are done.

I agree, I mainly play Netrunner at home with my partner and this seems perfect for us. Really looking forward to it. I think the Netrunner setting is quite good, I certainly like it more than Shadowrun which is essentially the same thing but with ~elves~ and thats spawned all sort of stuff. An RPG setting and then some video games would be really cool.

Has anyone read any of the books they released. I have read a couple but honestly they weren't amazing but I guess that is par the course for "cross media" tie ins.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

mitochondritom posted:

I agree, I mainly play Netrunner at home with my partner and this seems perfect for us. Really looking forward to it. I think the Netrunner setting is quite good, I certainly like it more than Shadowrun which is essentially the same thing but with ~elves~ and thats spawned all sort of stuff. An RPG setting and then some video games would be really cool.

Has anyone read any of the books they released. I have read a couple but honestly they weren't amazing but I guess that is par the course for "cross media" tie ins.

Android's setting is derivative in a lot of ways but it's got a fairly good swathe of RPGable ground to potentially play around in with several major hotspots including some that don't often get a lot of focus in most RPGs like South America, India, and Africa, plus the moon and Mars, and I think the system they've got going for their Star Wars RPG, itself based on Warhammer Fantasy 3E, would honestly work pretty well for a cyberpunk game since one of the common complaints about FFG Star Wars is that the combat is frequently un-Star-Wars-y with potentially high lethality mitigated by characters shooting up stimpacks, which doesn't quite jive with Star Wars but sounds pretty fitting for shooting it out with Weyland hitsquads.

Regardless I hope this turns out good and that we get a semi-regular infusion of campaign stuff going forward. Honestly new campaigns would be a pretty neat way to kick off new cycles except that would push the release rate back I'm sure (not necessarily a terrible thing tbh).

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Android's setting is derivative in a lot of ways

Yes in my experience pretty much all cyberpunk stuff is almost entirely derivative of Gibson's stuff, which is fine by me because its so good (I think Neuromancer might be my favourite book). Shadowrun doesn't count as being original in my eyes because it also manages to be derivative of Tolkein. There is an amazing interview I read somewhere where they ask Gibson what he thinks about Shadowrun and he blasts it saying something along the lines of "I tried to make a fiction that wasn't just rehashed Tolkein but then these fucks came along and stuck it back in". I also recall the interview saying he got nothing from Shadowrun (and presumably Netrunner) despite the fact that it could be interpreted that both "worlds" are almost direct rip offs. I guess there is a fine line between imitation and inspiration, one that has some corporate (lol) lawyer backing it up.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I think calling Shadowrun derivative of Tolkien is a bit of a stretch simply because it's got elves and dwarves in it.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Kai Tave posted:

For anyone else who's lurking and thinking of getting into Netrunner but wondering about the balance: for all that we complain, it's actually pretty good. Yes, the top half of Worlds was NBN / Anarch as far as the eye could see, but you have to remember these are tip-top players playing in the single most prestigious tournament there is. Even if Anarch and NBN only had a 2% higher winrate than other factions, that would be enough to make everyone bring them to the single most competitive tournament there is.

Away from the very top of the game - so with friends, at casual nights, in GNKs and even in small-to-mid-sized Store Championships - one of the nice things about Netrunner is that differences in player skill count for an awful lot, usually much more than deck choice. Between the hidden information and the flexibility offered by the turn structure (you have clicks rather than compulsory phases like you do in Magic) and the asymmetry of the game, there is a constant stream of careful choices to be made. I could hand Dave Hoyland a sub-par Sunny deck while I play some netdecked Corp monstrosity from Worlds and he'd still beat me. Basically I wouldn't worry about the balance unless you want to be super-competitive, and if you want to be super-competitive then any card game (or any game at all, really) will always have a faction or a grouping of cards that is slightly better than the others. The power curve will always be there even if it's really shallow.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 12, 2016

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I think calling Shadowrun derivative of Tolkien is a bit of a stretch simply because it's got elves and dwarves in it.

But Elves, Dwarves and Orcs as they are recognised today in all fantasy are derivative of Tolkien imagined them. I guess you can say that they have "transcended" the Lord of the Rings through ubiquity in fantasy but you cannot ignore the fact that the elves, dwarves and orcs in Shadowrun are not inspired by old Norse myths and English folklore, but are directly from Tolkiens work. I am not saying they haven't tried to differentiate it, its not like the dwarves of Shadowrun live in caves and are obsessed with the cyber-arkenstone, nor do the elves live in carbonite-forests or whatever, but I absolutely think that the Shadowrun setting would not exist if The Lord of the Rings didn't. Its not just shadowrun, almost all of fantasy is derivative of Tolkein, just like almost all cyberpunk is derivative of Gibson.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Edit - Hurf, the campaign was announced above.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 12, 2016

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

berenzen posted:

E: how much yellow do you expect to see? The thing about hate bear is that it completely destroys CtM and gives sync a pretty rough match-up as well. But it does falter a bit more vs. glacier, unless you can start to land siphons early and often.

Took a look at my league sheet today. Out of 9 matches I actually played HB more than anything, 3 ETFs and one NEXT Design Surat City Grid deck. After than was 2 CTMs and single instances of other IDs.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Sent a PM

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Oh god the whole west coast King of Servers team is here, including Timmy Wong. I am not making any kind of cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

You can do it, just believe in the heart of the cards and netrun like you have never run before!

• Locked thread