Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

But Triple Battles don't exist anymore.

That saddens me. I loved triples. I did all my Battle Maison stuff in triples with two flyers and a Tyrantrum in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Fetus posted:

How did you end up getting there with an underleveled team?

I was pretty much overleveled for most of the game until beating Giovani and getting through Victory Road. Then I saw that the E4 had pokemon 10-20 levels above mine. I think Alakazam gained eight levels or so alone from that, while poor level 42 beedrill was just there to delete lorelei's Jynx.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Zore posted:

... what?

There's no 'adult pokemon with death' stuff? The closest thing to that, Cyrus in the Distortion World, is literally an event that happens almost shot for shot in the game.

Maxie and Archie loving died.

That said, my post was hyperbole. I do think it's a slightly more edgy and western-focused take on Origins, which didn't do well in Japan. The Delta Episode one, the Rotom one, Cyrus one and the first one are my favorites by far and I'm glad they got made, but most of these aren't really... good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That said, my post was hyperbole. I do think it's a slightly more edgy and western-focused take on Origins, which didn't do well in Japan. The Delta Episode one, the Rotom one, Cyrus one and the first one are my favorites by far and I'm glad they got made, but most of these aren't really... good.

Most of them aren't good because they're shot for shot story beats from early pokemon games which loving suuuuuuuuuck.

The better ones are the side story/new content like Looker and Silver's episode and stuff from more modern games like the Delta episode one and the most recent one.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Ultima66 posted:

Trevenant is NU and unless you are going special/mixed or scarf the only relevant stat Decidueye beats Trevenant in is spdef.

Primarina has almost the exact same base stats as Gardevoir, beating it in every stat except speed. Non-Mega Gardevoir is in UU and is fine. Water/Fairy is probably a better typing than Psychic/Fairy.

Lycanroc is the second fastest rock type in the game (4th if you count Aerodactyl/Mega Aerodactyl as different pokemon and Arceus-Rock I guess), has a unique priority move, and better attack stat than Aerodactyl. Salandit has a very unique typing and also good offensive stats. So outside of the legends there are 2 fast pokemon this gen that have some potential in competitive. There's plenty of not-fast pokemon that have pretty decent potential.

I expect a reasonable number of the legendaries and a few non-legendaries to make OU and a decent number of new pokemon to make UU.

Salazzle also has a niche in that she can stop guys like Heatran who would otherwise wall her by simply Toxic'ing them. Heatran is otherwise immune to residual damage that isn't Hail or self-inflicted, so toxicing it gives it a definite advantage to mister "gently caress you I have a balloon and flashfire"

Speaking of Heatran, man he is the dumbest looking legendary and not even Generations can make him likable :colbert:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Generations' biggest disappointment for me was that the Legendary Beasts' previous forms were just generic-looking dog silhouettes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How do I start the XY postgame. I'm just back in whatever podunk french town I started in

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Classtoise posted:

Speaking of Heatran, man he is the dumbest looking legendary and not even Generations can make him likable :colbert:

turn on your monitor

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Generations' biggest disappointment for me was that the Legendary Beasts' previous forms were just generic-looking dog silhouettes.

What were you wanting?

I just watched through them just now and I really like it so far. It's funny because I have pokemon episode disorder and keep expecting them to draw out every scene and moment into 20 episodes.

The only thing I didn't like was the weird team magma chick. I couldn't tell if she was horny, or retarded, or evil, or what. Granted she was only there for a moment, but they used that time to make a really disturbing character.

Calaveron posted:

How do I start the XY postgame. I'm just back in whatever podunk french town I started in

Start walking to the nearest city with a pokecenter and it starts telling you what to do next. I didn't have my HM slave with me but I think they want you to walk that stretch again for nostalgia's stake since there's no pokecenter in that town.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 11, 2016

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

if you're talking about courtney(?), the one with the lavender hair, she's like that in omega ruby as well

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So the Zygarde stuff has mostly been sussed out now and its weird.

You can create either a 50% (snake) or 10% (dog) Zygarde by finding and putting together cores. You also pick if they have the ability Aura Break (like Zygarde did in X/Y) or Power Construct which lets them do a mid-battle transform into 100% (Mecha) when it loses health like Darmanitan-Zen. Also by collecting cores you can teach it both the unobtainable 'thousand arrows' and 'thousand break' from X/Y along with DD and Extremespeed.

Snake and dog never transform into each other.

Its such a weird and pointless thing. :psyduck:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
That's a lot of words to say "you have to do two runs to get a Living Pokedex for two different reasons this gen"

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So essentially there's no reason to ever use Zydog over Zygarde once you get enough cores.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr. Fetus posted:

Wait, so essentially there's no reason to ever use Zydog over Zygarde.

It has 115 speed and has the same attack (100) but lower everything else.

So probably not. :shrug:

Its essentially a faster Flygon that turns super loving bulky after it gets hit. Also due to the way the mechanics of Power Construct works, will gain more HP when transforming since 100% has 212 base HP and the difference between the HP stats is straight added. So it gains like 300 HP while regular Zygarde only gains 200ish

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 12, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Zygarde continues being lame and pointless, news at 11.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

that ivy guy posted:

if you're talking about courtney(?), the one with the lavender hair, she's like that in omega ruby as well

yeah courtney i remember she had a basic white girl name. I haven't played through the Sapph remakes, but I don't recall anyone being like that originally. Are the remakes worth playing by the way? It's kind of a pain in the rear end to move stuff from my GBA all the way to pokebank.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I caught him the other day with my first quick ball tossed. It was really underwhelming, on top of him just bring plopped in some cave without any fanfare. I have no clue what role or element he is supposed to represent as a legendary.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Khanstant posted:

yeah courtney i remember she had a basic white girl name. I haven't played through the Sapph remakes, but I don't recall anyone being like that originally. Are the remakes worth playing by the way? It's kind of a pain in the rear end to move stuff from my GBA all the way to pokebank.

I caught him the other day with my first quick ball tossed. It was really underwhelming, on top of him just bring plopped in some cave without any fanfare. I have no clue what role or element he is supposed to represent as a legendary.

The planet, basically.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

gently caress off.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Khanstant posted:

It seemed like it was going to be the 3rd box legendary like with Rayquaza what with the whole Z motif and all. But then a Pokemon Z never ended up happening, and from what I understand, anything plot relevant about Zygarde was shunted to the anime.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Khanstant posted:

Start walking to the nearest city with a pokecenter and it starts telling you what to do next. I didn't have my HM slave with me but I think they want you to walk that stretch again for nostalgia's stake since there's no pokecenter in that town.

You need to get to the train station in North Lumiose, you don't need to walk. The moment you step out of your house after the credits, you can fly there.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

It seemed like it was going to be the 3rd box legendary like with Rayquaza what with the whole Z motif and all. But then a Pokemon Z never ended up happening, and from what I understand, anything plot relevant about Zygarde was shunted to the anime.

Its going to be in SuMo.

Its apparently a guardian of nature? At least thats what its mecha form is.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Trainer: "The planet's dyin', Zygarde!"
Zygarde changes to 100% form: "On it."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"Hit me trainer! I need to feel powerful!"
"Why do you always make this weird Zygarde?"

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Most of them aren't good because the dubbing is loving awful.

And this is coming from someone who's usually very pro-dub.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

snake form zygarde rules, mech form rules too for different reasons

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

I think what happened was, although this is purely speculation on my part, that they had planned to make Pokemon Z. Then the higher ups decided they needed something bigger for the 20th anniversary and also a last hurrah for the 3DS to serve as a big hit for the holiday season given that the Wii U sure as hell wasn't going to provide one.

And so:

Sun and Moon.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

qnqnx posted:

gently caress off.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

less laughter posted:

Since Burn Up turns Typhlosion and Arcanine typeless, it stands to reason it will turn Moltres typeless/Flying, i.e. pure Flying, right?

Wait, does this mean Moltres can use Burn Up and then Roost to remove both of its types?

Zore posted:

So the Zygarde stuff has mostly been sussed out now and its weird.

You can create either a 50% (snake) or 10% (dog) Zygarde by finding and putting together cores. You also pick if they have the ability Aura Break (like Zygarde did in X/Y) or Power Construct which lets them do a mid-battle transform into 100% (Mecha) when it loses health like Darmanitan-Zen. Also by collecting cores you can teach it both the unobtainable 'thousand arrows' and 'thousand break' from X/Y along with DD and Extremespeed.

Snake and dog never transform into each other.

Its such a weird and pointless thing. :psyduck:

Zygarde is neat and Thousand Arrows is a crazy good attack and I'm glad it finally gets it but also yeah this all seems super arbitrary.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

LAY-ZX posted:

Wait, does this mean Moltres can use Burn Up and then Roost to remove both of its types?

Zygarde is neat and Thousand Arrows is a crazy good attack and I'm glad it finally gets it but also yeah this all seems super arbitrary.

Roost presumably still would result in turning into a normal type in that situation.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In Sun and Moon Zygarde is really not important for anything. Sina and Dexio give the player a cube and then cells appear all over the map like mega stones did in X&Y. After collecting enough they can be put together with a machine in the respective formes. I haven't hit 100% but it never once came up during the main story. It also doesn't have to be captured.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Captain Fargle posted:

I think what happened was, although this is purely speculation on my part, that they had planned to make Pokemon Z. Then the higher ups decided they needed something bigger for the 20th anniversary and also a last hurrah for the 3DS to serve as a big hit for the holiday season given that the Wii U sure as hell wasn't going to provide one.

And so:

Sun and Moon.

this is the correct answer and MoSu is gonna be great

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
pokemonmusu

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My thought has always been that they wanted the art style in Sun and Moon but couldn't get it to run properly until Smash Brothers came along and showed how to unlock just enough power to have a decent framerate outside of battle.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Pokemonmusou

make it happen, nintendo

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

looker and his frog beating up those assholes was great

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

How permanent are the Zygarde choices? Are you locked into whatever form and ability you pick the first time, or can you take your Zygarde back and swap between abilities and snake/dog forms at will?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

McDragon posted:

looker and his frog beating up those assholes was great

That's another thing about Generations that gets me. We hear a lot about how it's truer to the games, but we get a humorless generic hard boiled badass instead of the balance of humorous and competency he is in the games.

Khanstant posted:

What were you wanting?

I just watched through them just now and I really like it so far. It's funny because I have pokemon episode disorder and keep expecting them to draw out every scene and moment into 20 episodes.

The only thing I didn't like was the weird team magma chick. I couldn't tell if she was horny, or retarded, or evil, or what. Granted she was only there for a moment, but they used that time to make a really disturbing character.

Something Pokémon shaped at least would be interesting. Anything to show some visual design and uniqueness got put into this that didn't involve giving Lorelai and Courtney bigger cans.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Shiny777 posted:

How permanent are the Zygarde choices? Are you locked into whatever form and ability you pick the first time, or can you take your Zygarde back and swap between abilities and snake/dog forms at will?

if you switch from snake/mech to dog you lose the right to have an insanely cool monster

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Anything to show some visual design and uniqueness got put into this that didn't involve giving Lorelai and Courtney bigger cans.

i dont understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lorelei has had massive hooters since the dawn of time. i dont actually remember anything about courtney.