Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

elevators are by far the safest vehicle by passenger-mile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
and yet it's not in the clicky-poll

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

mr president, build the mile high wall tower!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I think we can all agree the Paternosters and Man Engines are the best transit systems

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Bloody posted:

I remember elevator people love to point out that nobody keeps safety statistics for escalators

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
we have a seemingly really good real time map for buses and realtime stop-specific timetables

reality: i look at the bus stop's time table and it says "bus arrives in 8 minutes". i walk to the stop (which takes a few minutes), look at the time table again "bus arrives in 10 minutes :troll:"

when i arrived at the stop, it said that my bus was 4 minutes late, when the bus actually arrived it said it was 20 minutes late.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why would you ride the bus if you care about time tables?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh, was this your first time taking the bus?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wheany posted:

we have a seemingly really good real time map for buses and realtime stop-specific timetables

reality: i look at the bus stop's time table and it says "bus arrives in 8 minutes". i walk to the stop (which takes a few minutes), look at the time table again "bus arrives in 10 minutes :troll:"

when i arrived at the stop, it said that my bus was 4 minutes late, when the bus actually arrived it said it was 20 minutes late.

new york city installed wireless gear to monitor the location of all city buses, in order to stop drivers from parking and reading the newspaper. just for funsies they made a mobile app to expose this data to readers

ironically bus ridership has declined since the introduction of the mobile app

standing at the bus stop, you not only know the bus is unreliable in an abstract sense, now you know the specific bus you are waiting for is still 30 minutes away

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

the acela is the best way to traverse the northeast corridor (unless you are literally going DC-BOS in which case reagan<->logan is better)

it is extremely ok to refer to washington national as DCA instead of using that man's name to refer to a loving airport

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Toronto installed tracking on busses and streetcars and it's good. except for when there are shuttles replacing streetcars then it's hosed

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
from the map you can clearly see that the position data is based on some average speed and not the real position of the bus, because i see buses go by and then look at the map and it shows the bus as being way further along on the route.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
using gps data would make it too obvious how bad bus service is.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

using gps data would make it too obvious how bad bus service is.

yes this is exactly what happened in nyc

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i don't really care if the bus is 80 minutes late, as long as the lateness is accurate and i don't have to stand in wind and sleet for 20 minutes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just drive

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

it is extremely ok to refer to washington national as DCA instead of using that man's name to refer to a loving airport

last time i used airport codes in yospos i got chastised :xd:

it'll always be national to me :911:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

shame about the statue of him out front

i fully expect the epa building to be renamed the trump epa building at some point in the future (for the tiny little bones of the epa that exist at that point)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

cctas: they're filming something at the Harold Washington Library-State/Van Buren station that involves sticking a plush hobby horse out of the train operator's window :confused:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hackbunny posted:

I remember elevator people love to point out that nobody keeps safety statistics for escalators

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/11/15/man-killed-by-elevator-in-toronto-hotel.html

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

just drive

no.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ironically bus ridership has declined since the introduction of the mobile app

bus ridership nationwide has declined pretty heavily as gas became dirt cheap, just like it always does. rail has been pretty steady. i doubt it has anything to do with an app that the vast majority of riders arent even using.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cygni posted:

bus ridership nationwide has declined pretty heavily as gas became dirt cheap, just like it always does. rail has been pretty steady. i doubt it has anything to do with an app that the vast majority of riders arent even using.

nyc's city bus ridership has been shrinking fast at the same time that use of all other public transit in the area is rising

and it's not just falling a little bit, it's loving plummeting, like 10% per year

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
toronto's ridership growth isn't negative yet, but it's missing projections by quite a bit. we're blaming fare increases and budget cuts that prevent the service from expanding to meet the last ridership surge and improve reliability

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

blugu64 posted:

the only thing that the rail line next to the highway does is provide an easy smash and grab parking lot, and take up space that could be used for something productive like a green belt and extra lanes.

blugu64 posted:

correct except that subway and elevated rail are also bad, and is extremely disruptive to the natural environment and takes away from greenspaces around the city.

lmao all over again

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nyc's city bus ridership has been shrinking fast at the same time that use of all other public transit in the area is rising

and it's not just falling a little bit, it's loving plummeting, like 10% per year

they also installed time monoliths that look down on you as to when the next bus is arriving

but for a lot of people in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx, there is no alternative besides the bus for crosstown since there are no trains and a cab is too expensive.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
chicagos bus transit actually gets used since every line runs predictably (yay grid) and high availability (in populated areas of the north side lol). they actually did install user-viewable gps and use the data to adjust routes and schedules seasonally or for special events, and to try to address bunching but good luck with that.

i think it even got them to start seriously considering BRT, although the implementations so far have been lovely (Loop Link) to mediocre (Jeffry Jump) at best. hopefully the Ashland BRT will be less lovely, they're promising limited stops, signal priority and paying before boarding

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

pointsofdata posted:

Dunno where all these transit bills are going to find their construction workers, they'll all be busy building the wall

also the AIA backed down on censuring designers for Trumpwall so it's all good

quote:

It is anathema to this editorial board to fathom the positive impact of such a work of infrastructure as the proposed border wall or its attendant detention centers, federal and private prisons, and militarized infrastructure that would be necessary in order to achieve the President-elect’s stated deportation policy goals. To ignore the role design and designers could play in instituting and perpetuating the inequality inherent in the racist patriarchy of Trump’s ideology embodies is irresponsible and reprehensible.

Furthermore, the memo’s imprecise language, uncritical stance, and congratulatory tone not only willfully misunderstand the stated policy objectives of the President-elect, but in committing such a lapse in judgement, submit the 89,000-member profession to the willful service of the destructive goals stated above. All the while, it condones the violence and oppression due to be inflicted upon the communities singled out by Trump’s rhetoric—which will likely impact the AIA’s own membership as well.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Shaggar posted:

just drive

My car still has summer tires. I'm waiting for the first snow to melt and then I'm getting them changed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

then enjoy waiting 30 minutes in the sleet and rain I guess.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wheany posted:

My car still has summer tires. I'm waiting for the first snow to melt and then I'm getting them changed

change them urself.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Shaggar posted:

change them urself.

every time i do, i vow never to do it again.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
same but then I just do it and it takes like 30 minutes or w/e and its done. it would be harder to get the tires to a shop than it would be for me to just change them myself. also definitely use a cheater bar

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mishaq posted:

last time i used airport codes in yospos i got chastised :xd:

it'll always be national to me :911:

I remember this discussion, but DCA is a valid exception

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

reminder that i think of this thread every time i pass a "useless" greenspace installation that provides valuable watershed and urban-tree-cover service

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lutha Mahtin posted:

reminder that i think of this thread every time i pass a "useless" greenspace installation that provides valuable watershed and urban-tree-cover service

yes it's true, when you remove useful things from a city and replace them with empty space, it becomes easier to manage wastewater

by the same token you could just bulldoze the entire city. rubble is presumably more permeable than buildings or sidewalks or road surface.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

do you even know what a watershed is

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do you even know what a watershed is

oh wait you were serious

lolllll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

hm yes this soil-scientist-approved infrastructure change that turns useless concrete no one uses into useful drainage land is a joke. yep ok

• Locked thread