Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just found out something really cool that I never noticed before. I have an old HDHomerun Dual, and always thought that it wouldn't work with the Shield TV for some reason. I was thinking of picking up a Connect because it supposedly had a better tuner and was compatible. This morning, I upgraded the firmware on my old Dual, and installed the HDHomerun Android app. After setting it up on a Windows PC, I found 47 channels (more than ever before) and it's working with my Shield and my phone. Nice!

But the cool thing...if you use that and use the Live Channels Android app, you can integrate OTA, a Weather Channel app, and Pluto.TV's channels (assuming it's installed) for a bunch of Live TV all in one interface. I never really noticed it before, but I'm pretty impressed with it. Currently watching the MST3K channel with Cave Dwellers and laughing my rear end off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm ok losing those channels on Vue because there's still Disney for my kid which is better then Nick. Also gaining BBC America and NBA TV are worth it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm ok losing those channels on Vue because there's still Disney for my kid which is better then Nick. Also gaining BBC America and NBA TV are worth it.

The Disney channel is literally the devil and will gently caress up your kid. Just saying.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why is the FCC so mad at DirecTV Now

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Fuzz posted:

The Disney channel is literally the devil and will gently caress up your kid. Just saying.

Yeah my kid is totally going to be a satanist watching Rebels.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rad Valtar posted:

Plays backwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Hp1VIgxJo

hears satan

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Fuzz posted:

Are you on something?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Rad Valtar posted:

No, "consumerist" is the word you're searching for. That poo poo is toy ads nonstop.

My kid gets PBS Kids for as long as I can get away with it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh yeah I hadn't thought about the ads. It's not nearly as bad when you use the apps on Roku than the straight up channels.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

TheScott2K posted:

No, "consumerist" is the word you're searching for. That poo poo is toy ads nonstop.

Right now PBS is the only channel she has ever watched. It was more for down the line and I really only watch stuff on demand or that I DVR.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rad Valtar posted:

Right now PBS is the only channel she has ever watched. It was more for down the line and I really only watch stuff on demand or that I DVR.

We live in a golden age of kid's programming, since there's a lot fewer commercials, and it's really nice. My five year old just started kindergarten and he's learning there's a whole world of products that he wasn't aware of, and it's sort of blowing his mind.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

This plus every single one of their live action shows essentially teach them the opposite values of those same types of shows when we were kids.

Instead of Zach Morris saving up for a brand new bike via various schemes and shenanigans but then giving the money to a poor kid and learning a valuable lesson in humanity and generosity, Hanna Montana does the same poo poo, gets the bike, and is suddenly the most popular girl in the school.

The vast majority of tween and teen shows also have the main characters as already being either popular or literally famous, with random concerts and performances as plot elements. You know, because chasing fame and being an attention whore are two things totally alien to children nowadays... :rolleyes:

Seriously, I tell my patients' parents all the time to double check the shows they're watching because they'll be amazed at just how different the themes are nowadays. They just assume the shows are palette swaps of what we used to watch, when that is very much not the case.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 11, 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I was actually talking about Disney's shows, I didn't even think of commercials.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

I was actually talking about Disney's shows, I didn't even think of commercials.

This too. Also that having cool gadgets and toys will make you cool and popular.

It's seriously hosed up.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

https://youtu.be/XHFuKE6Hdzg?t=45s

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Empress Brosephine posted:

why is the FCC so mad at DirecTV Now

Because AT&T wants to run it at a loss to undercut competition in the fledgling streaming market while they own two traditional television providers. They also want to zero-rate DirecTV Now to AT&T wireless subscribers to further undercut competition.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

Because AT&T wants to run it at a loss to undercut competition in the fledgling streaming market while they own two traditional television providers. They also want to zero-rate DirecTV Now to AT&T wireless subscribers to further undercut competition.

Also ATT just announced they are going to start throttling streaming video to 480p by default, but not zero rating it like T-Mobile, who sort of pretend they are customer friendly.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Croatoan posted:

Oh yeah I hadn't thought about the ads. It's not nearly as bad when you use the apps on Roku than the straight up channels.

Disney Jr has increased ads greatly on the Roku. My daughters, for the first time outside of walking through Walmart, now see these toys and want them all.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Also ATT just announced they are going to start throttling streaming video to 480p by default, but not zero rating it like T-Mobile, who sort of pretend they are customer friendly.

Don't worry, they'll get away with it now that net neutrality is 100% going to die

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yup, everyone should enjoy cord cutting while they can because everything is going to go to hell over the next few years. What few consumer protections exist are about to get gutted to pieces.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

You guys have some rose-colored glasses on about TV growing up. poo poo is just as bad now as it has been for decades.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

Fuzz posted:

The fact that you don't feel the same way about Viacom is astounding. Started us off with DIC (Inspector Gadget, et al), and right up through 16 and pregnant a decade and change ago. Yep, they're much cleaner and polished than Disney.

Who has BBC America that has a better package than Sling? I don't give a crap about 40,000 Star Trek: Next Generation reruns.

Bipolar Transistor fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 11, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Bipolar Transistor posted:

The fact that you don't feel the same way about Viacom is astounding. Started us off with DIC (Inspector Gadget, et al), and right up through 16 and pregnant a decade and change ago. Yep, they're much cleaner and polished than Disney.

Who has BBC America that has a better package than Sling? I don't give a crap about 40,000 Star Trek: Next Generation reruns.

I literally only care about the Daily Show on Comedy Central. All the other Viacom poo poo is meaningless since I'm not really a TV watcher, I have a handful of shows I watch and most of them are on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Here is the infuriating thing with all the streaming services, we all know the sports channels are both the most expensive channels and the most polarizing, people either absolutely must have them or don't give a flying gently caress about them at all.

And yet they are STILL BUNDLED. They are still bundled on absolutely everything.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Here is the infuriating thing with all the streaming services, we all know the sports channels are both the most expensive channels and the most polarizing, people either absolutely must have them or don't give a flying gently caress about them at all.

And yet they are STILL BUNDLED. They are still bundled on absolutely everything.

Sling Blue?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Yeah, just give me Longhorn Network, FS1/2 ESPNs, and SEC Network and I'm good to go. Heck just sell me a login to the ESPN Go and Fox Sports apps on my Roku.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Disney Jr has increased ads greatly on the Roku. My daughters, for the first time outside of walking through Walmart, now see these toys and want them all.

That sucks. TBH my son is super stuck on Super Why! so I haven't paid attention to Disney for like 6 months.

Also in other news HOLY poo poo! Amazon Video is 100% better after today. They updated their app today that brought it's functionality forward 10 years to the point where it almost competes with Netflix. You can fast-forward and see actual frames while you fast-forward instead of just, I don't know, guessing?

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 13, 2016

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

Three Olives posted:

Even as a sports fan I agree with this....just make all sports a completely separate option imo

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Never seen any ads when watching single episodes, and the live stream is the same as cable far as I can tell?

Anyhow all tv is and has always been about pumping consumerism.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 12, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

angryrobots posted:

Never seen any ads when watching single episodes, and the live stream is the same as cable far as I can tell?

Anyhow all tv is and has always been about pumping consumerism.

Except Mr Rogers and C-Span.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Jerk McJerkface posted:

We live in a golden age of kid's programming, since there's a lot fewer commercials, and it's really nice.
For me its just in terms of content, PBS-wise.

My sister's kids grew up with Barney and Teletubbies.

I'm the rear end in a top hat dad who occasionally turns on the TV at 5:30 in the morning when his one-year old wakes up. I know what the studies say about television and those under two, I know that makes me a monster that I even resort to the glass teat when my allergy medicine hasn't kicked in and I can't engage him with runny eyes and nose.

That said, I'm struggling to find anything in the same ballpark of awful with PBS's current line up. Even Wild Kratts is the mildest of the "bro" culture and is more than made up with its focus on celebrating all types of animals.

I'd almost unironically watch Peg + Cat and Word Girl on my own.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
Netflix has a hojillion kids shows and no commercials.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
TV turns my kid into an rear end in a top hat.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Don't know where to post this really, figured here would be ok I guess. I recently got my first universal remote (finally). It's a Logitech Harmony 700. When I pick it up, there's a slight rattle noise. Quick Google search tells me it's the tilt sensor for the backlighting and display. Can anyone with a 700 confirm that? Just want to know if that's legit or if there's something loose inside my remote, haha.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

teagone posted:

Don't know where to post this really, figured here would be ok I guess. I recently got my first universal remote (finally). It's a Logitech Harmony 700. When I pick it up, there's a slight rattle noise. Quick Google search tells me it's the tilt sensor for the backlighting and display. Can anyone with a 700 confirm that? Just want to know if that's legit or if there's something loose inside my remote, haha.

While not a 700, I had an 880 that had a similar in it. Basically it's just a tiny gyro that would move and light everything up. On one of my 880s, it stopped rattling and that stopped working. Again, not a 700 but from a similar era so I would 100% believe this.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

RevKrule posted:

While not a 700, I had an 880 that had a similar in it. Basically it's just a tiny gyro that would move and light everything up. On one of my 880s, it stopped rattling and that stopped working. Again, not a 700 but from a similar era so I would 100% believe this.

I had the same exact issue with an 880. The problem corrected itself when my dog who was still a puppy at the time decided it would be a good chew toy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ok cool, thanks for the reassurance goons :) The remote works fine, just when I first opened it that rattle was immediately noticeable.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

My parents have a 700 that does the same thing and it's been truckin' for years. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have an old 610. Same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cool, cool. Have everything all set up with the 700 now. It's like maaaaagic! It was $49.99 at BestBuy for a pre-Black Friday sale thing. It'll be $49.99 again next week I think, for anyone interested.