Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

Agreed.

Bill was very scummy but he navigated Washington expertly. Of course he didn't exactly get stuff we wanted very much done, but he did accomplish things. Carter got a lot loving done for a 1 term President but he made everyone in D.C. hate him and when the chips were down nobody had his back. Probably the best example of someone who Gets Things Done would be LBJ. The man was a legislative legend. The hawkishness he displayed in some area's was good, the big gently caress up that was Vietnam kinda rains on all his foreign policy accomplishments.

All the good examples have drawbacks to them which is a good example of why baggage and scandals actually mean gently caress all vis a vis the effectiveness of your reign in office.

Sure, but you're going to have compromises and fuckups no matter what. If Obama had a fraction of the balls LBJ had people would wave away his awful policy accomplishments with healthcare for all and he'd be regarded as one of the best presidents for all time. Instead he compromised and make the ACA, which is a colossal fuckup. If he delivered accessible health care that people understood and the GOP tried to take it away there'd be revolution in the streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Lastgirl posted:

pretty much this, once the dust settles it will get better

just don't start plotting assassinations or anything grievously egregious in here, thats all

its fine to be angry, i get it. I went off early in discord but yea don't start threatening people and calling for blood unironically. I'm not fond of probating if this happens unless you're a total dickbag, don't make me do it :qq:

Powercrazy, watch the racism chat if you're going to be inflammatory about it, thanks in advance.

We should call for political capital instead, starting obviously with progressive control of the dnc as the left wanted when DWS kept shooting them down

By the way if you guys are feeling really stressed out and need some decompression, C-SPAM Nite Crew has been playing music and movies for the past two weeks at night, so if you want to find out more about that, check the National Nightmare thread, I'll be posting some information about it pretty shortly. I really recommend it if you need to take the edge off, we're gonna be playing good movies. I don't want to derail too much here while there's some discussion.

Keep it chill, namaste, :beerpal:

i am drinking mint green tea and playing wow, maybe this weekend i may visit a friend just to talk, her goal is to be a sober person trying to help people get over this eather by talking massages or other new agey stuff, it may be bs but it worth trying in dark times. sitting alone drunk and sad is not good for anyone.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

comedyblissoption posted:

bernie didnt have the proper foreign policy experience that involved supporting absurdly terrible american wars and rightwing coup governments

You are entirely right

My favorite parts of the democratic primary were the attacks on bernie for his "lack of foreign policy experience" by educated liberals.

Hillary Clinton is incompetent on a good day. She voted for the Iraq war, the biggest unforced error in foreign policy since the vietnam war. In her defense, her backers said, everyone else in congress was doing it too. Do you want someone like that as a chief executive? Someone who does what's expedient, instead of what's right?

She showed up in moscow with a toy "reset button" to repair relations with the russians as though putin and his cronies were children and not owners of a nuclear arsenal.

She pushed heavily for intervention in Syria against Assad. If we tip the balance in Syria against Assad, the least worst case is the United States having an active hand in a genocide, the absolute worst case is picking a shooting war with the russians.

Hillary couldn't manage a bowl of loving jello.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WINNINGHARD posted:

You are entirely right

My favorite parts of the democratic primary were the attacks on bernie for his "lack of foreign policy experience" by educated liberals.

Hillary Clinton is incompetent on a good day. She voted for the Iraq war, the biggest unforced error in foreign policy since the vietnam war. In her defense, her backers said, everyone else in congress was doing it too. Do you want someone like that as a chief executive? Someone who does what's expedient, instead of what's right?

She showed up in moscow with a toy "reset button" to repair relations with the russians as though putin and his cronies were children and not owners of a nuclear arsenal.

She pushed heavily for intervention in Syria against Assad. If we tip the balance in Syria against Assad, the least worst case is the United States having an active hand in a genocide, the absolute worst case is picking a shooting war with the russians.

She also convinced Obama to change his mind on Libya.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good news outa Texas:

https://twitter.com/JoshDorner/status/797262382481424384

Probably going to be in play by 2024. If white working class + college educated join the base probably 2020 even. Iv heard good things out of the state party.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

going to say it again, bernie still wouldn't have won, because, despite the hill camp's claims to the contrary, he wasn't willing to lie

whatever sane and possibly doable thing bernie promised, trump would just promise bigger and crazier

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dems have 4 years to get their poo poo together. By then we should have had be in our next scheduled recession with an immensely unpopular Republican government.

If they nominate another corporate stooge it's torches and pitchforks time.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Cyron posted:

i am drinking mint green tea and playing wow, maybe this weekend i may visit a friend just to talk, her goal is to be a sober person trying to help people get over this eather by talking massages or other new agey stuff, it may be bs but it worth trying in dark times. sitting alone drunk and sad is not good for anyone.

Yea that's kind of why we have this space to chill out, a lot of c-spammers come and go, we also tuned in for the elections, had like 300+ people, it was crazy. Anyone's free to come, even day crew~

More info about it right here!

Definitely a good idea to keep from getting too heated, but still channel that fkn anger into legitimate action as people discussed earlier!

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

also, good loving luck getting bernie to lie about his tax plans.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Can we talk now about how the idea that "demographics are destiny" is basically unreconstructed race science?

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's very easy to attribute things to racism, isn't it? I bet those people won't double down on their positions at all.

This is an interesting thinkpeice:

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2016/11/10/the-cinemax-theory-of-racism/

I see. Thanks for the article.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it's too bad the republican party doesn't actually care about people or government to any extent, because they have actually, factually, been handed the power to fix things

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

These were Bernie's appointments to the platform committee

quote:

Sanders’s choices include James Zogby, a pro-Palestinian activist who is president of the Arab-American Institute in Washington and a frequent commentator on Arab-Israeli issues. Sanders also picked Cornel West, a liberal author and racial justice activist who has been a Sanders surrogate. Sanders also named Rep. Keith Ellison of Minnesota, among his most prominent elected backers, author and environmental activist Bill McKibben and Native American activist Deborah Parker.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

going to say it again, bernie still wouldn't have won, because, despite the hill camp's claims to the contrary, he wasn't willing to lie

whatever sane and possibly doable thing bernie promised, trump would just promise bigger and crazier

But by not running Hillary you've put Trump's grotesqueness in play. As horrible as coastal elites think Trump is as a person, red staters feel that way about Hillary. The thing is that aside from the die-hard racists who the Dems aren't going to win no matter what, there is a significant amount of red-staters who aren't racist but saw Hillary and Trump as equally horrible people so the math just cancelled out.

If the Dems had run someone that people didn't think was an unredeemable opportunist who lacked any principles whatsoever, DJT would have turned off many, many more people, particularly if his populist message was being echoed by the Democratic candidate as well.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

everyone needs to remember that beyond the presidential we need to prepare for the state and local elections as well because...

https://twitter.com/KStreetHipster/status/797250896619077632

:smithicide:

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

FuriousxGeorge posted:

But there is only one other cable package available and it didn't contain the channels you wanted either. So your option was Cinemax or no TV at all. And half the population cut the cord. Next time nominate Netflix.

No it was basic cable vs the deluxe package. The deluxe package only has one channel and it has bad reception and its Cinemax.

Now no one likes basic cable and we would all prefer Netflix.

But the deluxe package never had anything going for it because it was a scam.

That's the sad thing, they thought there would be plenty of other channels to watch on a brand new flat screen.
That sleazy sales dude fooled them all.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
I can't wait until we purge the DNC, get Keith as our chair and crush Trump with Bernie in 2020 like he would have this year.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

etalian posted:

She also convinced Obama to change his mind on Libya.

I left it out in the interest of brevity - keep it coming. The clintonites dont give a drat about any american except the ones that will fund them

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

WINNINGHARD posted:

You are entirely right

Hillary's ghastly foreign policy is the biggest silver lining of this whole President Trump debacle. Maybe now we'll work with Russia to take out Al Qaeda in Syria instead of bombing Assad, like Hillary was completely frothing at the mouth to do. Her foreign policy was literally hellish, from taking millions of dollars from the Saudis and Qatar to destroying Libya to to her Iraq war vote to wanting to risk nuclear war with Russia to oust Assad, holy poo poo she was bad. This sure didn't lead to her loss imo, nobody really seemed to care, but jesus

Fast Luck has issued a correction as of 03:43 on Nov 12, 2016

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/11/donald-trump-election-polls-whites-working-class/

decent article on trump getting elected

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

I don't know if this would have worked for Donald Trump, though. Trump lying his rear end off didn't matter because Clinton was completely untrustworthy. But if he's up against a real honest politician with actual principals? Stuff might have mattered.

Zikan posted:

everyone needs to remember that beyond the presidential we need to prepare for the state and local elections as well because...

This is the most terrifying prospect I have ever faced while following American politics.

Holy gently caress.

comingafteryouall has issued a correction as of 03:45 on Nov 12, 2016

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

LastInLine posted:

But by not running Hillary you've put Trump's grotesqueness in play. As horrible as coastal elites think Trump is as a person, red staters feel that way about Hillary. The thing is that aside from the die-hard racists who the Dems aren't going to win no matter what, there is a significant amount of red-staters who aren't racist but saw Hillary and Trump as equally horrible people so the math just cancelled out.

If the Dems had run someone that people didn't think was an unredeemable opportunist who lacked any principles whatsoever, DJT would have turned off many, many more people, particularly if his populist message was being echoed by the Democratic candidate as well.
I agree. Bernie would have won this election but MOM would have won it too.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Atrocious Joe posted:

Things like social networks, life experiences, type of employment and union membership are just as important in determining beliefs in many social theories, but are hard for data firms to track. So you get a politics of what your data guys can track, and it winds up they think of things in terms of race science. Hot sauce and Beyonce for the black turnout, Abuela for the Latinos, and Lena Dunham for white women. Actually talking to people, learning of their concerns, and making a good faith effort to address them is better than whatever the gently caress Clinton 2016 just did.

:agreed:

This kind of SV thinking just blew up in our faces so spectacularly and we need to make sure we learn a lesson from it. Except, instead of air balling the latest whacky chat app with someone else's VC money the whole country got president Trump.

Tech is a tool, and possibly a very powerful one, but it's not a substitute for actual political skill, organizing, listening to people, and persuading them to join your coalition.

Obama understood this I think because of his previous experience in Chicago. Mook went whole hog on the SV big data cult and ended up in a bubble so tight they suffocated on their own farts.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cams posted:

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/797245073197060096

start allocating electoral college votes by % contributed to gdp. let the free markets decide.

how can we use this to sell rural america on wealth redistribution

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Grondoth posted:

They have no power anymore.

This is hilariously optimistic at best, and incredibly naive at worse.

Souai
Dec 16, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

Wow our politics are diseased

Seriously.

I didn't think it was possible for people get have a lower opinion of her since her last tonedeaf tweet but here we are.

I'm actually curious if she will survive until the March turnover at this rate.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zikan posted:

This is the most important and to do it, it has to be done in red states. We can block some things by working harder in swings to sway the house and senate, but all the presidency gets us is the veto. It's the state legislatures and the midterms where Democratic enthusiasm actually needs to exist for once.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

Hillary's ghastly foreign policy is the biggest silver lining of this whole President Trump debacle. Maybe now we'll work with Russia to take out Al Qaeda in Syria instead of bombing Assad, like Hillary was completely frothing at the mouth to do. Her foreign policy was literally hellish, from taking millions from the Saudis and Qatar to destroying Libya to wanting to risk nuclear war with Russia to oust Assad, holy poo poo she was bad. This sure didn't lead to her loss imo, nobody really seemed to care, but jesus

I expect the neocons slither their way into a Trump administration, although they're probably going to be restricted to drones and air power for their pet wars so the troops aren't at risk. Idk what wider US foreign policy will look like and I doubt even Trump does

An immediate detente with Russia would be nice, as the Blob has gotten real flippant lately about how nice it would be to have a short, little war with them

Saw the url and was shocked this wasn't by Connor Kilpatrick

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

A Winner is Jew posted:

this

also, sup powercrazy... you were also one of those i was a massive douche to

Concern Trolls gonna Concern Troll, ain't no thing :)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/markos/status/796767945334648832

DailyKos getting dark man

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Atrocious Joe posted:

Saw the url and was shocked this wasn't by Connor Kilpatrick
Lol. I unfollowed that dude. I get his point but he's so obsessed with the "white working class" that it gets scary. It's the only thing he tweets about besides rapeghazi drama

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Man I wish for once we could actually wait for these fascists to show up and try to take our poo poo from us before completely capitulating.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't want Trump to crack down on the press.

I want ratings to loving plummet for 24/7 news networks. Their reaction to the loss is just making me angrier.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

This video just popped up on my facebook and it seems to be gaining traction with both sides of the isle. I thought you all might like it.
https://www.facebook.com/viralthread/videos/598130190359668/

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Same except not really, but do something to spook them

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Shinjobi posted:

I don't want Trump to crack down on the press.

I want ratings to loving plummet for 24/7 news networks. Their reaction to the loss is just making me angrier.

Truth.

MSM is just as much as to blame, to even goad into a horse race narrative too, playing with fire all the time.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

mrmcd posted:

:agreed:

This kind of SV thinking just blew up in our faces so spectacularly and we need to make sure we learn a lesson from it. Except, instead of air balling the latest whacky chat app with someone else's VC money the whole country got president Trump.

Tech is a tool, and possibly a very powerful one, but it's not a substitute for actual political skill, organizing, listening to people, and persuading them to join your coalition.

Obama understood this I think because of his previous experience in Chicago. Mook went whole hog on the SV big data cult and ended up in a bubble so tight they suffocated on their own farts.

In the coming years the better campaigns will blend big data and conventional political organizing.

My guess is Mook and company kept on overfitting their prediction models so that at the end they didn't reflect reality anymore. They also had to have made assumptions not included in the models to gently caress up so bad in the rust belt.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Yeah this is the poo poo that should worry everyone. It's not just that the Dems need to find a way to appeal to the WWC to win the presidency. That poo poo isn't even always necessary. It is true that we could probably just ride non-whites and city liberals and charismatic candidates.

That poo poo will absolutely not fly in taking the house or governorships or state legislatures and without those the Dem Party will never do a loving thing. You need to have a big party and big message to appeal to a bunch of different configurations of demographics

jackofarcades has issued a correction as of 04:06 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

Actual response to this is I think "demographics are destiny" ideology hosed up the Dems more than "identity politics"

Viewing the electorate as just race, gender, and education (as a proxy for class) means the Dems missed a lot of obvious things. Like white women going to Trump, and Mook turning out other Trump supporters. It's also blinding a lot of the debate over Trump's base, because many commentators are assuming the high school educated white guy in Pittsburgh who's just sort of pissy about DC is as racist and ignorant as the high school educated guy in N. Carolina getting ready for the Klan. The geography of those two things can be switched too, since not all white guys in the South are racist and not all Northerners are woke.

Things like social networks, life experiences, type of employment and union membership are just as important in determining beliefs in many social theories, but are hard for data firms to track. So you get a politics of what your data guys can track, and it winds up they think of things in terms of race science. Hot sauce and Beyonce for the black turnout, Abuela for the Latinos, and Lena Dunham for white women. Actually talking to people, learning of their concerns, and making a good faith effort to address them is better than whatever the gently caress Clinton 2016 just did.

Extremely Hot Take incoming: Alienated people who voted for Trump were absolutely right to do so, because if Clinton had won the establishment would claim to be validated (despite losing Congress, and downtickets) and then nothing would have changed. Their lives would still be mired in the poo poo while every woke pipsqueak confidently asserted that they don't matter.

• Locked thread