Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
On the flip side, I thought Detective Comics was kinda "just there" this week, despite the strong intro to this arc last issue. Is every villain in this book just always gonna spend half a book whining about how much Batman sucks and doesn't work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

So, this is what trades are gonna look like.
:/

I actually kinda like it

Deahtstroke #6: So did the latest issue of Deathstroke just make Jericho canonically bisexual? Because that’s pretty neat.

Roth fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 10, 2016

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Seems like Soy sneaked a JoJo reference in today's RHATO

:haw:

And by the way, issue was really good.

This is so tight. I can't wait to get home and read the new issue.

I know there's a meme on SA about how bad RHatO is but I've been really enjoying the Rebirth run.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Getting to use The Shade in your story arc is basically cheating, but the last issue of Flash was really good because of it.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 10, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's gonna be real weird when Lois has to explain to her NuDad why she suddenly has a 10 year old son.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's gonna be real weird when Lois has to explain to her NuDad why she suddenly has a 10 year old son.

Considering the last time Lois saw a version of her dad he was trying to commit genocide and then killed himself rather than face the consequences of his actions it's probably pretty awkward for everyone involved.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Semper Fudge posted:

Getting to use The Shade in your story arc is basically cheating, but the last issue of Flash was really good because of it.

I've always said Wally is the best Flash character but if Shade counts as a Flash character then it's probably him.

At least when Robinson is writing him. Let's hope Williamson nails it a bit better than he did Godspeed.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I've been a fan of the first four issues of New Super-Man and I liked how #5 began but then the rest of it was just :psyduck:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I reached an interesting conclusion last night. Superwoman is unreadable garbage. Why the gently caress am i still subscribed to this?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Superwoman honestly disappoints me the most. I don't think it's a bad comic, but it had a very major fakeout that I feel like is unfair to those who love Lois Lane and have wanted her to have a solo for a long time. Even if it's one where she was a superhero instead of just a regular journalist.

It's very unfortunate that DC decided to just kill off both n52 Superman and Lois because the pre-flashpoint versions came into the picture, but at least n52 Superman had a death that I felt had a great deal of good story behind it. Lois was just abrupt and a fakeout of a promised book. True there's still time for the writer to undo it, but the damage feels done. The book is absolutely about Lana Lang at this point and I don't think that will change.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm okay with the fakeout because I'm happy seeing Lana Lang be something other than "the person who shows up to be mind controlled every five or six years"

that said, I think the book is bad

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Anyone else get the feeling that Batwing is DC trying to have an Iron Man in their roster because everything he does feels very Tony Stark-ish.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Madkal posted:

Anyone else get the feeling that Batwing is DC trying to have an Iron Man in their roster because everything he does feels very Tony Stark-ish.

I've noticed a lot of black characters end up tech people, possibly as a result of some kind of over compensating reverse discrimination.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

I've noticed a lot of black characters end up tech people, possibly as a result of some kind of over compensating reverse discrimination.

It used to be electrical powers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

It used to be electrical powers.

I think the electric thing was only ever a meme, since like 90% of black people with lightning powers was Black Lightning, someone based off Black Lightning who couldn't be used because of rights or w/e, or a reference to the supposed idea black people always had lightning powers. Other than that it's just Static and Storm.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Batwing design looks like a better Batman Beyond redesign than the actual redesign in Rebirth.

I'm loving Luke Fox in this arc though, he's rad here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

I think the electric thing was only ever a meme, since like 90% of black people with lightning powers was Black Lightning, someone based off Black Lightning who couldn't be used because of rights or w/e, or a reference to the supposed idea black people always had lightning powers. Other than that it's just Static and Storm.

Doesn't Black Lightning have at least one daughter with electric powers?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Edge had a large effort post on this somewhere.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

I dunno, but that'd literally be a descendant of Black Lightning, so I wouldn't count her either.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Edge had a large effort post on this somewhere.

I think it vaguely had something to do with Dwayne McDuffie's pitch to Marvel, Teenage Negro Ninja THRASHERS:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Dark Wheelie was the great character find of the late 80s!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I appreciate the effort he must have gone through to get that THRASHERS font back in '89.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

yeah she inherited the powers through their metagenes

plus she has a cool look

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 11, 2016

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think I can do this from memory at this point:

1. Black Lightning: the lightning-based black superhero created by Tony Isabella and Trevor Von Eeden after they talked DC out of publishing the Black Bomber, where Archie Bunker gets hit by some magic and turns into a black superhero who doesn't know he's Archie Bunker and vice versa

2. Black Vulcan: the character from Super Friends they used after they realized they'd have to pay Isabella/Von Eeden royalties for using their character under new contracts from the 1970s

3. Juice: the character from Justice League Unlimited they used after they realized they didn't want to pay Isabella/Von Eeden royalties for using Black Lightning, and FIlmation owned Black Vulcan

4. Soul Power: the character from Static Shock who they had to use when they realized they couldn't use Black Lightning or Black Vulcan

5. Static: an unrelated character outside of a shared power set and the possible influence to include an electricity based hero into the Milestone universe launch as a nod to Black Lightning? Maybe?

6. Lightning: the lightning-lady daughter of Black Lightning created by Alex Ross for Kingdom Come

7. Black Power: The Earth-3 Black Lightning

8. Volt, the Mark Waid Incorruptible character that is an explicit take on the joke "all them black characters with electrical powers :haw:"

9. Coldcast, a guy from the Elite. I don't know if this was a reference to Black Lightning but this is the same writer/run that officially brought Apache Chief into the DCU so you never know.

10. Thunder Fall, one of a team of African super villains that appeared in like half an issue of Batwing.

10a. Electro was black in Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Pretty sure anyone else you could add to the list are either hopelessly obscure or are really stretching the definition of "electrical powers" to the point that you should probably also include Thor, Iron Man, Cable, Wasp, Batman, Superman, the Vision, Hawkeye, and Oracle on the list of "people with electrical powers".

Of the ten (or eleven) black superheroes with electrical powers, seven (potentially eight) are explicit analogues/spin-offs of Black Lightning. It would be like making a list of Superman, Superboy, Eradicator, Superboy Prime, Supergirl, Superwoman, Super Turtle, Mon-El, Valor, Sunshine Superman, Superduperman, Stupidman, Ultraman, Bizarro, Supreme, Lady Supreme, Hyperion (like six out of the eight), Gladiator, Kid Gladiator, Omniman, Homelander, the High, Mister Majestic, and then like Prime and Marvelman and Martian Manhunter for good measure, and wonder aloud why all aliens are white dudes with capes.

If we ignore characters that literally only appeared in one episode of a cartoon, I think there are almost as many superhero characters who have had their own comic book series and have "Black" in their name despite being Caucasian than there are black heroes with electrical powers.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 11, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

I think I can do this from memory at this point:

1. Black Lightning: the lightning-based black superhero created by Tony Isabella and Trevor Von Eeden after they talked DC out of publishing the Brown Bomber, where Archie Bunker gets hit by some magic and turns into a black superhero who doesn't know he's Archie Bunker and vice versa

Wasn't there a character like this in something else? I seem to remember somewhere that there was a white supremacist who had the super power of turning into a black man.

Edit: found it. It was the Brown Bomber

Madkal fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 11, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Wasn't there a character like this in something else? I seem to remember somewhere that there was a white supremacist who had the super power of turning into a black man.

Wasn't that a Dave Chappelle skit?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Madkal posted:

Dwayne McDuffie was too good for this world, and life is unfair and unjust for taking him from us.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Madkal posted:

Yeah, Black Bomber is the original idea that got thankfully killed and made way for Black Lightning.

Brown Bomber is a later reference to that by Mcduffie. In that story all of the Justice League have counterparts, and Brown Bomber is Black Lightning's.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Madkal posted:

Bendis.jpg

Also Rip Dwayne McDuffie, he made a tonne of comics that helped shape my youth.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Here's Tony Isabella describing The Black Bomber, and it's honestly worst than I remembered. He got sprayed with an experimental camouflage chemical in 'Nam and would basically Hulk Out into a black dude when he got stressed.

The Brown Bomber page posted above is from Dwayne "Teenage Ninja Negro Thrashers" McDuffie's brief, meddled-with run on post-Infinite-Crisis Justice League of America.

As an example of the sort of meddling, the lower middle panel is supposed to be him asking Vixen if it's cool for him to "use the N-word now", but they cut it out after they approved it and just straight up removed the word balloon instead of asking McDuffie for rewrites, if you're wondering why the dialogue makes no sense.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Edge & Christian posted:

Here's Tony Isabella describing The Black Bomber, and it's honestly worst than I remembered. He got sprayed with an experimental camouflage chemical in 'Nam and would basically Hulk Out into a black dude when he got stressed.

The Brown Bomber page posted above is from Dwayne "Teenage Ninja Negro Thrashers" McDuffie's brief, meddled-with run on post-Infinite-Crisis Justice League of America.

As an example of the sort of meddling, the lower middle panel is supposed to be him asking Vixen if it's cool for him to "use the N-word now", but they cut it out after they approved it and just straight up removed the word balloon instead of asking McDuffie for rewrites, if you're wondering why the dialogue makes no sense.

Well drat, I always thought she had just reached a high enough level of exasperation to merit that response.

graybook fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 11, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, it kind of works. Her phrasing is a bit odd, but not totally out of place.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

4. Soul Power: the character from Static Shock who they had to use when they realized they couldn't use Black Lightning or Black Vulcan

Soul Power is probably the one superhero movie Quentin Tarantino would make.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

:eng101: He wanted to make a Luke Cage movie after Reservoir Dogs.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, it kind of works. Her phrasing is a bit odd, but not totally out of place.

yeah that middle panel still works as a pause to allow the reader to absorb the audacity of the page

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Edge & Christian posted:

I figured he was just pausing to let his incredibly witty joke sink in

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, it still works that way but then the reaction sounds more like pleading than rejecting.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, I just found that back on January Lobdell and Denis Medri pitched a mini series to DC based on Medri's "Rockabilly" Batman designs. Regretably, they never got any feedback from DC and thus the project didn't went beyond some mock covers that Medri did for the pitch

A real shame since I think those would've worked perfectly as Elseworlds.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
DC is negotiating a Wonder Woman book to be penned and drawn by Frank Cho.

What the gently caress DC, you were doing so well.