Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

too expensive and inefficient

just drop lots of bombs on them bing bang boom so simple!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Venom Snake posted:

The existence of the kurdish people is a myth.

I agree. But people are not going to look back on the United States fondly for doing not much at all about about the genocide happening in Syria right now.

Yeah it sucks big time, but when has American military intervention in the Middle East ever gone well, much less won us good will, ever? I'm not saying we should help Putin prop up Assad, because gently caress those guys, some terrible situations don't have a solution, much less one that involves America blowing poo poo up. Between the neocons and their FREEDOM BOMBS, and hawkish leftists worried they're gonna feel responsible for the next Rwanda, we keep getting baited into that poo poo.

I'm all for providing food, medicine, refugee resettlement, and that kind of thing.

Anyway check out some terrible tourist pics of Syria from 2010 if you want:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcdaniel83/sets/72157623733031607
https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcdaniel83/sets/72157623782414635

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atrocious Joe posted:

Assad is not committing genocide against Sunnis and accusing him of basically the only war crime he hasn't committed undermines every other accusation

This is a very fishmech post but most definitions of genocide don't include political beliefs. Mass murder and torture isn't as catchy but it's actually true

Okay mass murder and torture then? I don't like arguing about this because it depresses me that I'll never be able to do anything about it. Trump is going to gently caress it all up. Tom Cotton is going to invade Iran or some poo poo.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah, kid, and who do you think sold Turkey all of the weapons they're using to do that? What massive international alliance is Turkey a part of?

What Turkey is about to do is not something you can pin on exclusively the US. But I don't care anymore.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

It's really, really sad that Trump is going to pull the rug out from under the Kurds and they are going to get gassed by everyone. Again.

Clinton would have done the same, assuming she didn't blunder her way into a nuclear war and poo poo her pants too. Turkey is too valuable in their calculus.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dem Autopsy Verdict #42069: making extremely tortured cultural analogies and metaphors was nerdy as Hell, and extremely alienating to anyone who doesn't participate in pop culture. It didn't actually make any of the points those writers were trying to make more sensible, it just felt like they were talking down to people on the assumption that they can't understand simple language without comparing it to dragon show, or robot western, or nerd wizard.

I'm a fan of Game of Thrones, both the books and the show. It's fun pulp fantasy, but that's all it is. The constant comparisons of Clinton to Khaleesi, Mother of Dragons was loving insufferable. And to top it all off with a candied cherry, those same cultural gatekeepers loved the poo poo about Hamilton. A whitewashed revisionist historical fart, with godawful hip hop, expertly crafted to appeal purely to liberal foundational myths.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

mrmcd posted:

Yeah it sucks big time, but when has American military intervention in the Middle East ever gone well, much less won us good will, ever? I'm not saying we should help Putin prop up Assad, because gently caress those guys, some terrible situations don't have a solution, much less one that involves America blowing poo poo up. Between the neocons and their FREEDOM BOMBS, and hawkish leftists worried they're gonna feel responsible for the next Rwanda, we keep getting baited into that poo poo.

I'm all for providing food, medicine, refugee resettlement, and that kind of thing.

Anyway check out some terrible tourist pics of Syria from 2010 if you want:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcdaniel83/sets/72157623733031607
https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcdaniel83/sets/72157623782414635

This is really interesting. Thank you. And yeah it's tragic that Trumpists are never going to let these people escape the nightmare either.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Can't wait for the nuclear arms race between Iran and Saudi Arabia once Trump and the Republicans renegade on the nuclear deal.

poo poo is super hosed.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Punished Snake
a man without a party

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

WINNINGHARD posted:

Clinton would have done the same, assuming she didn't blunder her way into a nuclear war and poo poo her pants too. Turkey is too valuable in their calculus.

the Bosphorus Strait is an extremely important strategic chokepoint

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

the Bosphorus Strait is an extremely important strategic chokepoint

Correct. Turkey is also a NATO member.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

What Turkey is about to do is not something you can pin on exclusively the US. But I don't care anymore.

I'm being hard on you here because you have to care. Entangling ourselves in alliances with militarized reactionary states out of geopolitical convenience is part of why the Middle East became such a poo poo show. The United States doesn't act abroad out of genuine humanitarian interest, that's a tool exploited to further the imperial interests of capital.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Gonna interrupt mideast chat here for a sec with a little spitballing.

I think crediting ~Trumpamania~ with the GOP takeover of congress and the states isn't quite accurate. The republican strategy for the last 6-7 years has been 'so what if we don't have the presidency, if we control congress the presidency doesn't matter'.

By selling the win, not only did Hillary de-energize her base, she may very well have energized the Republican base to turn out and vote downticket in order to fight her on the races they CAN win, and while they're there, might as well throw one on the pile for Trump.

I mean maybe I'm full of poo poo but it makes a lot of sense to me.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Venom Snake posted:

Okay mass murder and torture then? I don't like arguing about this because it depresses me that I'll never be able to do anything about it. T
Y'all really get offended by that sort of stuff very very selectively. Saudi Arabia is as totalitarian as all get out and is bombing Yemen right now. Not just double tapping funerals killing hundreds, but bombing agricultural regions to deliberately starve the people there. Yet I don't hear the word "genocide" thrown around about the Saudis? In fact they seem to be our friends. And yeah that's actually probably why you don't hear anyone talking about them. And yet we hear about Assad nonstop despite the fact that half Aleppo literally is being held by Al Qaeda. We blew the gently caress out of ISIS cities in Iraq you know, the media response to similar situations in terms of Iraq/Syria/Saudi Arabia/Yemen is insane.

Fast Luck has issued a correction as of 04:54 on Nov 12, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

maybe we need some sort of world wide political movement that values the lives and wishes and needs of individuals as part of the "whole" but also has enough power or reach to stand up to predatory capitalism

too bad it doesn't exist and never will

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

SoggyBobcat posted:

Can't wait for the nuclear arms race between Iran and Saudi Arabia once Trump and the Republicans renegade on the nuclear deal.

poo poo is super hosed.

There is no race. The Saudi's will just call up Pakistan and have some shipped to their doorstep.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I feel like such a fool for being a Sander purist and rolling over so quickly into becoming a Hillbot. And then making fun about Trump and Trump voters and being wrong about everything in life. :(

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

WINNINGHARD posted:

The Clinton would start a Nuclear War talking point isn't true just because Trump won.

Deimus
Aug 17, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

a lot of loving people are going to die everywhere because we let this poo poo bag, and the gop, win

my dude, our post ww2 foreign policy, war and violent imposition of capitalism for free market labor everywhere on the planet kills like 100s of millions of people every decade.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Venom Snake posted:

This is really interesting. Thank you. And yeah it's tragic that Trumpists are never going to let these people escape the nightmare either.

Geopolitics and armed conflict is a brutal business that either slowly grinds away at your soul, or turns you into a full blown Sith Lord like Kissenger who lives for that poo poo. The Trumpsists won't be the last to throw innocents under the bus in units of (10^5 human lives).

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Zikan posted:

cool Keith Ellison, the future DNC chair, fact

https://twitter.com/ckilpatrick/status/797072477453172736

That's bad right

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

The Clinton would start a Nuclear War talking point isn't true just because Trump won.

It's not just that. The Russian military and the anti-air assets they provided to Syria are no joke. It wouldn't have been like bombing Libya.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That's bad right

Nah it's cool

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Vice President-Elect Pence to Take Over Trump Transition Effort
New York Times - ‎1 hour ago‎
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/us/politics/trump-cabinet.html

Oh god this rear end in a top hat really isn't interested in being president is he? Gonna let Mike "Abortion Funeral" Pence run the show

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

mrmcd posted:

Geopolitics and armed conflict is a brutal business that either slowly grinds away at your soul, or turns you into a full blown Sith Lord like Kissenger who lives for that poo poo. The Trumpsists won't be the last to throw innocents under the bus in units of (10^5 human lives).
Tell me about it. Trying to follow and make sense of the Middle East is depressing. I think I'm going to have to just give up for the next four years. :sigh:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

in the context of a democratic politician it's fantastic

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That's bad right

it's bad

if you're a neoliberal :getin:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/editoremilye/status/797243415922515970

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's not just that. The Russian military and the anti-air assets they provided to Syria are no joke. It wouldn't have been like bombing Libya.

This is the entire thing. Someone should have looked at a map and said "Syria is the Russian's only Mediterranean port, they're not going to let Assad fall. Sorry for those dudes." Russia has strategic skin in the game, we don't.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fast Luck posted:

Oh god this rear end in a top hat really isn't interested in being president is he? Gonna let Mike "Abortion Funeral" Pence run the show

Now he can cause a national HIV outbreak.

Buy a fleshlight, buy a dildo.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm being hard on you here because you have to care. Entangling ourselves in alliances with militarized reactionary states out of geopolitical convenience is part of why the Middle East became such a poo poo show. The United States doesn't act abroad out of genuine humanitarian interest, that's a tool exploited to further the imperial interests of capital.

I don't care right now because Trump is going to do a lot of horrible, horrible things and it's going to make it really hard to unfuck. He's going to piss on the worlds head and we are going to be stuck holding the bag.

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
the mid east is pretty much a century long chain of terrible decisions leading to horrifying bloodshed leading to more terrible decisions

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

That's the deal he promised Kasich. He handles domestic and foreign policy, while Trump handles "making America great again."

It's not good. It's, in fact, very bad. A Trump administration will just be Congressional republicans running things, but if the Democrats are able to emerge with real ideas and a real vision for how to make things better, we might have a chance to stop some of this.

Grondoth has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Nov 12, 2016

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Fast Luck posted:

Y'all really get offended by that sort of stuff very very selectively. Saudi Arabia is as totalitarian as all get out and is bombing Yemen right now. Not just double tapping funerals killing hundreds, but bombing agricultural regions to deliberately starve the people there. Yet I don't hear the word "genocide" thrown around about the Saudis? In fact they seem to be our friends. And yeah that's actually probably why you don't hear anyone talking about them. And yet we hear about Assad nonstop despite the fact that half Aleppo literally is being held by Al Qaeda. We blew the gently caress out of ISIS cities in Iraq you know, the media response to similar situations in terms of Iraq/Syria/Saudi Arabia/Yemen is insane.

I was making jokes that Yemen was going to be to Hillary and Syria what Vietnam was for JFK and Laos... something he didn't expect that turned into an even bigger clusterfuck. Now? Heck if I know what's happening next. Is Trump a true isolationist? Was that all bullshit? Who knows.

But Hillary's continued actions overseas were going to blow up in our face through domestic terrorism here, and that just ratchets up the xenophobia which leads to Trumps. The DNC was going to have to have a reckoning about their foreign policy eventually, and Bernie really didn't do enough about that conversation. One thing is for sure, we can't have people like Howard Dean, who talked about Iran as "not Islam" (whatever the gently caress that means) while dismissing Arabia's problems as "some civil rights concerns", representing the DNC. I want him as out as the Clintons now are.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hailthefish posted:

Gonna interrupt mideast chat here for a sec with a little spitballing.

I think crediting ~Trumpamania~ with the GOP takeover of congress and the states isn't quite accurate. The republican strategy for the last 6-7 years has been 'so what if we don't have the presidency, if we control congress the presidency doesn't matter'.

By selling the win, not only did Hillary de-energize her base, she may very well have energized the Republican base to turn out and vote downticket in order to fight her on the races they CAN win, and while they're there, might as well throw one on the pile for Trump.

I mean maybe I'm full of poo poo but it makes a lot of sense to me.

This is undeniably true but ultimately inconsequential because yes, die hard Republicans were going to vote Republican, even if they weren't that enamored with their presidential candidate. And yes, Hillary certainly energized the Republican base. She was easily the best GOTV tactic for the GOP that you could imagine. I can't think of anyone more toxic they could've run.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

big juicy nectarine posted:

I was making jokes that Yemen was going to be to Hillary and Syria what Vietnam was for JFK and Laos... something he didn't expect that turned into an even bigger clusterfuck. Now? Heck if I know what's happening next. Is Trump a true isolationist? Was that all bullshit? Who knows.

But Hillary's continued actions overseas were going to blow up in our face through domestic terrorism here, and that just ratchets up the xenophobia which leads to Trumps. The DNC was going to have to have a reckoning about their foreign policy eventually, and Bernie really didn't do enough about that conversation. One thing is for sure, we can't have people like Howard Dean, who talked about Iran as "not Islam" (whatever the gently caress that means) while dismissing Arabia's problems as "some civil rights concerns", representing the DNC. I want him as out as the Clintons now are.
Yep. This is one arena where Tulsi Gabbard actually seems to know what's up, I've got some hope that at least under a Trump presidency there might be enough opposition to stop this sort of thing (while under Hillary everyone would nod and accept the "humanitarian intervention" bs we got when Libya was brutally destroyed while Hillary laughed

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

This is the entire thing. Someone should have looked at a map and said "Syria is the Russian's only Mediterranean port, they're not going to let Assad fall. Sorry for those dudes." Russia has strategic skin in the game, we don't.

Congratulations, you are better informed than the entirety of the Obama administration.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Venom Snake posted:

Her stated policy was a No-Fly Zone in Syria, which Russia would not have agreed to. Their whole reason to be in Syria is to defend the only naval base on the Mediterranean, and they are not giving that up. Period. So the best case scenario would have been the second American political defeat in Syria at the hands of Russia, worst case scenario would have been Russian jets ignoring the No-Fly Zone and forcing Clinton to make a hard choice. If she enforced that policy and we shot a Russian fighter down, we would be in a shooting war with Russia.

No one is saying that she would have initiated a nuclear first strike, but plenty are criticizing her for having a stated policy that could lead to an armed struggle with a powerful and nuclear armed nation.

Contrast that to the Democratic claims swinging wildly between Trump being in the back pocket of Russia or literally launching a first strike for no reason, and you can see why people think Clinton was more likely to start a major war over Trump.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

big juicy nectarine posted:

Got to keep that MEK money flowing in.

Honestly foreign policy is incredibly isolated from electoral politics isn't it? Post-Vietnam and Church hearings the intelligence agencies and Pentagon seem to have been pretty successful in maintaining policy continuity though administrations and Congresses.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Her stated policy was a No-Fly Zone in Syria, which Russia would not have agreed to. Their whole reason to be in Syria is to defend the only naval base on the Mediterranean, and they are not giving that up. Period. So the best case scenario would have been the second American political defeat in Syria at the hands of Russia, worst case scenario would have been Russian jets ignoring the No-Fly Zone and forcing Clinton to make a hard choice. If she enforced that policy and we shot a Russian fighter down, we would be in a shooting war with Russia.

No one is saying that she would have initiated a nuclear first strike, but plenty are criticizing her for having a stated policy that could lead to an armed struggle with a powerful and nuclear armed nation.

Contrast that to the Democratic claims swinging wildly between Trump being in the back pocket of Russia or literally launching a first strike for no reason, and you can see why people think Clinton was more likely to start a major war over Trump.

True, but Trump will almost certainly let a few neocons slither back in and start a fun little war or two FOR FREEDOM AND THE CAPITALIST WAY.

If you thought GWB's CIA of yes men huffing their own farts so hard every truck in Iraq was a mobile weapons lab and Chalabi was the Iraqi Nelson mandela was fun, the Trump reign will be a sight to behold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fast Luck posted:

I loving hate Saudi Arabia

• Locked thread