Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What are some good shmups on the dreamcast that aren't bullet hell memorization fests?

That's kind of an oxymoron, as "memorizers" describe pre-danmaku games like Konami or Toaplan titles. I'll assume you just don't want bullet hells. But there is memorization involved in shmups to various degrees, always. Take Gunbird 2 for instance - in Psikyo games the bullets are so fast you have to memorize safe spots and specific movements to avoid them. Maybe try G.Rev's games - Border Down and Under Defeat. There's also a good port of Twinkle Star Sprites, especially if you have a 2nd player handy. I'm not familiar enough with some of the others (Karous, Triggerheart Excelica, any of the indie games from Hucast or NG.DEV) to comment on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I'd imagine an American Game Boy Player can run Japanese GBA carts just fine right?

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
I was stupid enough to get in line at 4am for the NES Classic Edition at my local Target. First, it's a really fun device that's mostly well-executed. I expect it will get lots of use and I recommend you get one when they're widely available.

However, for some crazy reason, they use a smoothing algorithm on the games (and in the pixellated retro parts of the menu?). It's a minor nitpick, but if you have a large television, you will notice it and it will annoy you -- especially in Dr. Mario where the viruses are very small and made up of single pixels which appear to be detached pixels made of circles because of the smoothing.

It can't be my TV as the rest of the Mini's OS is sharp and clear (as much as a 720p signal allows). I'm in Game Mode, and on the same screen in the same mode, the pixels out of my RGB NES/Framemeister setup at 720p look razor sharp.

Any thoughts as to why they smoothed the pixels? I wonder why none of the early reviewers haven't called them out for this.

Here's a close-up snap of the NES Classic's overly-smoothed Mega Man on my 50" LG. Please tell me I'm not seeing things.

edit: maybe I got a bad one? I'm looking at YouTube videos cap'd at 1080p and I'm not seeing the smoothing. Anyone else here pick one of these up and can confirm?

plasticbugs fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 11, 2016

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Holy poo poo that's the worst. Can't you turn it off?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dr. Dos posted:

I'd imagine an American Game Boy Player can run Japanese GBA carts just fine right?

Yes, still region free on that front.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

falz posted:

Holy poo poo that's the worst. Can't you turn it off?

No, that's the "pixel perfect" mode. Ha! I need some real picky folks in the thread to take a look at theirs and give me their honest assessment of the issue. I'm going to try my other TV in the meantime and will report back.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr. Dos posted:

The only cartridges that any Game Boy Player has a problem with are the GBA Video cartridges (which is intentional because the licensees didn't want you copying the video off to VHS, there are ways to force it to work with an Action Replay or something though) and certain bootleg/pirate carts.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
For those of you who emulate with a Wii - what controllers do you all use?

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
A Classic Controller, unless it's a NES or PC Engine game where I'll just use the Wiimote sideways.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

klen dool posted:

Classic Controller Pro is extremely solid and has correct button placement/labelling for most stuff.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

plasticbugs posted:

No, that's the "pixel perfect" mode. Ha! I need some real picky folks in the thread to take a look at theirs and give me their honest assessment of the issue. I'm going to try my other TV in the meantime and will report back.
I wish there were a literal "pixel perfect" mode and it just displayed the game in a fraction of the 1080p/4K screen.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Which fighting games have the best reward/unlockables system? The best one I can think of is any Super Smash Bros game, where characters and stages are unlocked through specific gameplay. I also remember thinking Marvel vs. Capcom 2 had a reasonable system for earning in game currency to unlock new characters.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

klen dool posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Club-Nintendo-Super-Famicom-Classic-Controller/dp/B004TL1K0A
:retrogames:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nes games and specifically 16bit sonic games, I use a sideways wiimote

Everything else I use a wii classic controller.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

plasticbugs posted:

I was stupid enough to get in line at 4am for the NES Classic Edition at my local Target. First, it's a really fun device that's mostly well-executed. I expect it will get lots of use and I recommend you get one when they're widely available.

However, for some crazy reason, they use a smoothing algorithm on the games (and in the pixellated retro parts of the menu?). It's a minor nitpick, but if you have a large television, you will notice it and it will annoy you -- especially in Dr. Mario where the viruses are very small and made up of single pixels which appear to be detached pixels made of circles because of the smoothing.

It can't be my TV as the rest of the Mini's OS is sharp and clear (as much as a 720p signal allows). I'm in Game Mode, and on the same screen in the same mode, the pixels out of my RGB NES/Framemeister setup at 720p look razor sharp.

Any thoughts as to why they smoothed the pixels? I wonder why none of the early reviewers haven't called them out for this.

Here's a close-up snap of the NES Classic's overly-smoothed Mega Man on my 50" LG. Please tell me I'm not seeing things.

edit: maybe I got a bad one? I'm looking at YouTube videos cap'd at 1080p and I'm not seeing the smoothing. Anyone else here pick one of these up and can confirm?

Okay, I've figured out that it IS my TV. I've been playing through my Framemeister with heavy scanlines on, so I didn't notice it was doing this bullshit smoothing thing. It's a brand new TV and I suggest you all avoid it like the plague for retro gaming.

It's an LG OLED65B6P. gently caress this TV. Holy gently caress. If I had known, I would have returned it a month ago when we got it. I don't even want to tell you how much I paid for it. Even in "Game Mode" it's still doing this smoothing poo poo. I guess I need to call LG's customer service and figure out how to turn this "feature" off.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fishmech posted:

The only cartridges that any Game Boy Player has a problem with are the GBA Video cartridges (which is intentional because the licensees didn't want you copying the video off to VHS, there are ways to force it to work with an Action Replay or something though) and certain bootleg/pirate carts.

I want to be a fly on the wall of the meeting room.

"Guys, we really need to protect these two episodes of Spongebob!"

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

plasticbugs posted:

Okay, I've figured out that it IS my TV. I've been playing through my Framemeister with heavy scanlines on, so I didn't notice it was doing this bullshit smoothing thing. It's a brand new TV and I suggest you all avoid it like the plague for retro gaming.

It's an LG OLED65B6P. gently caress this TV. Holy gently caress. If I had known, I would have returned it a month ago when we got it. I don't even want to tell you how much I paid for it. Even in "Game Mode" it's still doing this smoothing poo poo. I guess I need to call LG's customer service and figure out how to turn this "feature" off.

I've never tried this, but could you pass it through the framemeister and add scanlines?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Thanks guys!

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

plasticbugs posted:

Try changing the name of the input you're using to "PC". That was the only way to disable over scan and sharpening filters on my Samsung.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

NES Classic demand so high it crashed Amazon completely for a few minutes, goddamn.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

What a shitshow that was. Constantly adding it to your cart, but then your cart shows as empty. Their twitter announced they were out of stock, but the product page still "loads" as a blank page.

I don't care about getting it immediately, but I would like one at some point with that handy case just because it's easy to bring to places.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

klen dool posted:

Arcade stick, Wiimote, original Classic Controller, this thing:
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/ns64gc_to_wiimote/index.php
or this one:
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/genesis_to_wiimote/index.php

Depending on what game I am playing and if I feel like using the original controller.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What are some good shmups on the dreamcast that aren't bullet hell memorization fests? Basically I'm looking for a game like Sky Force/SF Reloaded on the Dreamcast.

Ofecks posted:

That's kind of an oxymoron, as "memorizers" describe pre-danmaku games like Konami or Toaplan titles. I'll assume you just don't want bullet hells. But there is memorization involved in shmups to various degrees, always. Take Gunbird 2 for instance - in Psikyo games the bullets are so fast you have to memorize safe spots and specific movements to avoid them. Maybe try G.Rev's games - Border Down and Under Defeat. There's also a good port of Twinkle Star Sprites, especially if you have a 2nd player handy. I'm not familiar enough with some of the others (Karous, Triggerheart Excelica, any of the indie games from Hucast or NG.DEV) to comment on them.

do this and play radirgy and karous too (they look like bullet hell but the gameplay cancels 90% of the bullets without having to dodge plus they have great music). don't play triggerheart excelica or the hucast/ng.dev kusoge

edit: you'd probably also like a game called cannon spike which isn't a traditional shmup but does let you mindlessly blast poo poo, which is what it seems like you want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anIsL5QGY3U

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 12, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I want to be a fly on the wall of the meeting room.

"Guys, we really need to protect these two episodes of Spongebob!"

If you want the real answer, the license to put videos on carts probably specifically excluded anything that could output to a television to avoid conflicting with other media licenses. Licensing contracts are often absurd and hair splitting to try to extract every single dollar from a property.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

univbee posted:

NES Classic demand so high it crashed Amazon completely for a few minutes, goddamn.

Amazon should probably fix their review system to prevent people from posting garbage like "Can't buy, 1/5."

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I've boiled a dozen edge connectors and clipped the nes10 chips. Moving forward in just going to get a blinking light win, or a new edge connector.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

Amazon should probably fix their review system to prevent people from posting garbage like "Can't buy, 1/5."

Amazon Japan: "A lot of 30 Famicom games, none of which are mahjong or horse racing titles? Box Theory?! 5/5!"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don't boil the connectors, clean them and bend the pins out with a pick.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

RodShaft posted:

I've boiled a dozen edge connectors and clipped the nes10 chips. Moving forward in just going to get a blinking light win, or a new edge connector.

Snipping the NES10 is like the easiest thing I have ever done though.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

Grapeshot posted:

Try changing the name of the input you're using to "PC". That was the only way to disable over scan and sharpening filters on my Samsung.

Good suggestion. Unfortunately it doesn't turn off the upscaling -- it's crazy that is upscaling/smoothing at all, because I'm feeding it 720p from the NES Classic and it's getting crystal clear 1080p from the Framemeister.

Of course, 4K stuff looks great on the thing as do my current gen video game consoles. It just hates pixel art? I'm in the Twilight Zone with this thing.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the best micro sd card for the Everdrive GBA? I ask since they had compatibility issues I recall.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Snipping the NES10 is like the easiest thing I have ever done though.

Yeah but boiling and bending the pins is a pain. It's under $10 for a new edge connector, and I do want to at least try the Blinking Light Win. I have enough NES's to bother with it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Don't boil the connectors, clean them and bend the pins out with a pick.

I do all three.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

plasticbugs posted:

it's crazy that is upscaling/smoothing at all, because I'm feeding it 720p from the NES Classic and it's getting crystal clear 1080p from the Framemeister.
4K stuff looks great
If it's a 2160p display and you feed it anything less than that it needs to upscale it. It's a shame it's doing it so poorly, since both 720p and 1080p integer scale into 2160p.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Figured I'd post here too, trying to get the NES classic got me to play with my Raspberry Pi for a bit.

Are there any actual high quality NES or SNES replica controllers? People's posts here and in the video games thread got me to hook up my Raspberry Pi and it just doesn't feel the same playing Mario with a PlayStation controller.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Medullah posted:

Figured I'd post here too, trying to get the NES classic got me to play with my Raspberry Pi for a bit.

Are there any actual high quality NES or SNES replica controllers? People's posts here and in the video games thread got me to hook up my Raspberry Pi and it just doesn't feel the same playing Mario with a PlayStation controller.

I like the buffalo USB SNES controller, best non-nintendo one I've used by far.

https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Classic-USB-Gamepad-PC/dp/B002B9XB0E

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

d0s posted:

I like the buffalo USB SNES controller, best non-nintendo one I've used by far.

https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Classic-USB-Gamepad-PC/dp/B002B9XB0E

Seems like a winner too considering it's purchased with Raspberry Pi's according to Amazon's "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" header.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
That's actually one I've tried with bad luck. :(

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

RZA Encryption posted:

What a shitshow that was. Constantly adding it to your cart, but then your cart shows as empty. Their twitter announced they were out of stock, but the product page still "loads" as a blank page.

I don't care about getting it immediately, but I would like one at some point with that handy case just because it's easy to bring to places.

Ya, seriously. I started refreshing at 4:58, and the option to add to cart didn't appear until 5:05. Then from 5:05 until 5:12, I would just try to add to cart and it would give errors. Then it eventually went back to being unavailable. Oh well, will just leave it on my wish list for xmas if a family member needs an idea. I have most of the games anyway and just wanted it for Bubble Bobble and Star Tropics since I don't have them. Also, it would have been real tempting to connect to a monitor at work for 5 min breaks when my brain is fried and needs a change, but now it looks like I will be working from home anyway by the time I get my hands on one.

All the Targets within 20 min of me were sold out or low stock by the time I looked this morning, so didn't even bother.

Edit: and 2300 1-star reviews on Amazon because people are angry about Amazons ordering experience and being low stock. Not sure why it was so hard to produce enough. I'm sure there are a good amount of people who won't buy it out of principle now. I don't care since I'm in no rush.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 12, 2016

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Nothing even comes close to the 8Bitdo controllers in terms of build quality and closeness to the originals. The SNES30/SFC30 in particular is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
GAME

POKEMON
cock version

5.79 on aliexpress TONIGHT ONLY.

• Locked thread