Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

ElNarez posted:

It's clear enough once you hear it, but if you don't have the two hours to get through it the show starts going off the rails when Tom plays the trailer to Clerks 2 and lets a curse word go through. Then Pat from Verona calls and tells Tom about the time-space continuum. It's that kind of show.

lmao i need to listen to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

http://splitsider.com/2016/11/this-week-in-comedy-podcasts-finding-hope-in-comedy-bang-bang/

Summary here.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Only about 45 min into the newest episode and Tom's bit about the Doors doing the Meatballs song is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time. Also any time he talks about Red Hot Chili Peppers is also one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time. His review of Anthony Kiedis's autobiography was loving hilarious too. I think he secret likes "Danny California" though...

Edit: Every time Tom says "Uplift Mofo Party Plan" is also really funny and I think it's probably more times than you would think.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 11, 2016

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

This episode was completely, utterly brilliant. I thought it was a legit throwaway until I hit the halfway point or so.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Boy, what a depressing ending to the show.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Cloks posted:

With Tom's near-miss the other night I was thinking how completely creepy and dark and weird it would be if he was killed and it was the final episode.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Cloks posted:

YA, it's really stuck with me.

I've been going back and forth as to whether it was a fake classic show or really from the vaults. It'd just be too huge of a task I think to fake, I think.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
it was live my man :thejoke:

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
100% live. Tom made it really subtle though. He knocked it out of the park and managed to nail a potentially cheesy concept.

Edit: Anyone know who was Todd? It reminds me of old Jon Benjamin characters, but I don't know his voice well enough to know whether or not it was him.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 12, 2016

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Tatumje posted:

100% live. Tom made it really subtle though. He knocked it out of the park and managed to nail a potentially cheesy concept.

Edit: Anyone know who was Todd? It reminds me of old Jon Benjamin characters, but I don't know his voice well enough to know whether or not it was him.

Sounded like Dudio to me. That was when I 100% got the joke.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Thom and the Heads posted:

it was live my man :thejoke:

Ya I listened again with fresh ears tonight and I'm sure now. So genius.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah I was going to say, the callers were really on with their schitck that night.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
There were some very obvious things but more subtly, I knew it was a thing because Tom actually got mad at a woman caller.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
He probably could have given Pat Burne a name besides "Pat".

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

BigFactory posted:

Pat was playing Pat though. He talked about wanting to work for Tom.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

BigFactory posted:

They talked before about how Pat used to call the show and antagonize Tom with bits. I've never heard those old calls but this seems to be totally in keeping with that.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I feel like an idiot, I only listened to 30 minutes while doing chores. After listening to the whole thing it really is amazing. Best episode since the WFMU days probably.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Seltzer posted:

I feel like an idiot
This was my slow realization listening again. Wurster lays it on a little thick, don't know how I wasn't sure the first time. And the music references are some of the most impressive subtleties to me, I remember obsessing over Dirtbombs around 2005-6. Terry T really did a kinda great job, too, talking Providence style, Lightning Bolt like bands. And Rye Coalition! I went and listened to them again immediately after I was done. And I didn't listen night of, so realizing it's just about when it's looking like Trumps gonna win is right around when Tom starts losing it. Just amazing stuff. Those improv classes have been paying off for Pat.

Best Show has just been on such a damned roll lately. The bits especially, I didn't think the Beach Boys sessions was gonna be topped for a while.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 12, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder how it would have been different if it looked like Clinton would win.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Seltzer posted:

I feel like an idiot, I only listened to 30 minutes while doing chores. After listening to the whole thing it really is amazing. Best episode since the WFMU days probably.

Yah

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

BigFactory posted:

I wonder how it would have been different if it looked like Clinton would win.

I've got a feeling it would've gone the full three hours, and maybe the final collage ends up slightly less melancholic.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
The bit of "Guess which one of these Canadian tv shows is real" was one of the funniest things I've heard on this show.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

PIG
USE THE
BRUSH
CLEAN
poo poo ON
TOILET

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Box set is sixty bucks on Numéro group starting at 9 PM EST.

I bought it last week on Amazon because I thought it wouldn't ever go on sale.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Is there a reliable way to listen to the show live on an Android device? I've tried pasting the streaming link into VLC player, but that only works for about 15 minutes at best for me.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Is there a reliable way to listen to the show live on an Android device? I've tried pasting the streaming link into VLC player, but that only works for about 15 minutes at best for me.

Go directly the website and click on the episodes. Works fine for me.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

"I never wrote for an erotic sitcom starring Sinbad."

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

JethroMcB posted:

Blast it on your computer speakers so you can hear it anywhere while you sit on hold for 2 hours until you fall asleep.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I listened to some episodes from 05 the other day and let me repeat, the callers are really really bad now.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Can someone help me remember a Wurster joke from earlier this year?

When he plays the character who knows all about the Replacements, he mentions a band that's a real band name with an "and" added into it. He says that sometimes the and is a dog. What was that band name?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/bestshow4life/status/806363459302653952

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
next week's show is gonna be a belter too

https://twitter.com/bestshow4life/status/806368387106570240

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Wurster made reference to Chapel Hill institution Italian Pizzeria III tonight and I nearly did a spit take.

"This must be how anyone in LA feels, listening to any and every other podcast!"

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Aaah, the return of The Magazine everyone has heard about for its filthy contents.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Seltzer posted:

I listened to some episodes from 05 the other day and let me repeat, the callers are really really bad now.

Listening to the fake old show with some of the wacky callers you would get when you were on the radio led to good stuff. Avalanche Bob is the only character they have now.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Listening to the fake old show with some of the wacky callers you would get when you were on the radio led to good stuff. Avalanche Bob is the only character they have now.

I listened from november 1st through christmas 05 and the difference between the show then and now is so stark. So many better callers. Stevie Blue, Purple Shirt, Officer Tom, no smoking joe, Spike, and again the most jarring thing is how the normal callers are actually engaging and interesting instead of meek humorless 30 somethings who feel the need to reference Yo La Tengo and other things Tom likes in a failure to ingratiate themselves. It's such a good stretch of the show if anyone wants to remember what things used to be like.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Internet mutants are sadly way less interesting than local radio caller mutants. The Tom rants and Wurster calls are still good though (although they've kinda given up on giving Wurster actual characters or bits and just rattle off a series of loosely-connected jokes every week).

Anyway I'm really looking forward to the Hodgman/Hayes show next week & I'm curious to see what this 24/7 thing turns out to be.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I hope there is a chat component to the 24/7 thing.

Good to hear from Julie. I love how she'll just barrel over Tom while he is setting up stuff.

Tom has been more consistent the past few weeks with bringing a topic or idea to the table. It makes it easier to clear out the dudes, or at least trick them into saying something interesting.

Next week is going to be a spectacular show.

Edit: In case anyone skips the ending like I almost did, make sure you listen to the last two minutes of this week's episode. Tom makes a triumphant declaration to the soundtrack of the Rocky theme.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 8, 2016

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I hope he shakes that awful cough he's had since the accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Lettuce Have Grape Apes, Please?