Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Condiv posted:

last night or a bit earlier it came out that obama was approving the rest of the DAPL, basically steam rolling native americans

turns out that was false: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/obama-approve-dakota-access-pipeline-231255

hopefully he fights it as long as he can

Well you know both sides, and we'll let it play it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Peel posted:

yet obama won his elections fair and square, by large margins with no irregularities. trump & the republicans won with a minority in a lopsided map, after an unprecedentedly dishonest campaign and criminal election interference by foreign intelligence and a republican fbi director, both magnified by a craven news media that sold the country out. his legitimacy is genuinely compromised and this should not be forgotten or normalised. it should be used to mobilise resistance and overthrow.

Clinton also ran a comparatively dishonest campaign, rife with issues of corruption and media collusion. Whether she lost fair or square, depends on how much can be proved that Republican voter suppression measures actually suppressed the turnout. He sure as gently caress doesn't have a mandate like they claim they do, but it's doubtful just how much the legitimacy of his claim to the presidency can be questioned.

quote:

maybe challenging the legitimacy of the president is bad for the republic. but guess what: so is trump, ten times more. the case for decorum in the face of right-wing extremity applied while it looked like clinton would succeed obama and relatively normal politics would continue. in that situation you can make an argument (challengable) for maintaining standards of discussion until demographic changes force the republicans to reform.

The question I would ask is, why aren't we challenging the legitimacy of the republic? We got into this mess because the entire system was designed top-down to pre-empt any kind of meaningful change which wasn't spurred on by a crisis. We haven't had a meaningful amendment to the constitution since the voting franchise was extended in the 70s. It's a decrepit system of government which was designed by slaveholders and aristocrats with the express purpose of insulating their power from the masses.

Whether we like it or not, Trump and the GOP are going to barrel through an extremely toxic Supreme Court Justice. An entire branch of the government gone for maybe decades, and Ginsburg is not immortal. Hell they probably wouldn't even approve the kind of extreme measures this country needs if Obama had been able to make appointments.

The massively suppressed voter turnout which occurs every single election, the institutional checks against any kind of push for meaningful action, the reinforcement of a two-party system which hamstrung itself into permanent deadlock because third party entry is blocked at every level of government and the media, a legislative system which allows private interests to literally write the laws, a national electoral college designed with a capacity to veto the popular will of the people... what more does it take than the election of Donald Trump and the ascendancy of his party based on less than half the votes which were actually cast - to finally call into question the United States government?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

It is pretty funny how Christie is still getting poo poo on even after the election.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Clinton also ran a comparatively dishonest campaign, rife with issues of corruption and media collusion. Whether she lost fair or square, depends on how much can be proved that Republican voter suppression measures actually suppressed the turnout. He sure as gently caress doesn't have a mandate like they claim they do, but it's doubtful just how much the legitimacy of his claim to the presidency can be questioned.

you can certainly take questioning it as an ethical and rhetorical stance, though. i actually came back to the thread to append voter suppression to the list.

legitimacy is a constructed concept - a choice to give a kind of internal assent - and liberals have both means and motive to deny it to trump.

quote:

The question I would ask is, why aren't we challenging the legitimacy of the republic? We got into this mess because the entire system was designed top-down to pre-empt any kind of meaningful change which wasn't spurred on by a crisis. We haven't had a meaningful amendment to the constitution since the voting franchise was extended in the 70s. It's a decrepit system of government which was designed by slaveholders and aristocrats with the express purpose of insulating their power from the masses.

Whether we like it or not, Trump and the GOP are going to barrel through an extremely toxic Supreme Court Justice. An entire branch of the government gone for maybe decades, and Ginsburg is not immortal. Hell they probably wouldn't even approve the kind of extreme measures this country needs if Obama had been able to make appointments.

The massively suppressed voter turnout which occurs every single election, the institutional checks against any kind of push for meaningful action, the reinforcement of a two-party system which hamstrung itself into permanent deadlock because third party entry is blocked at every level of government and the media, a legislative system which allows private interests to literally write the laws, a national electoral college designed with a capacity to veto the popular will of the people... what more does it take than the election of Donald Trump and the ascendancy of his party based on less than half the votes which were actually cast - to finally call into question the United States government?

i'm under no illusions about any inherent legitimacy of liberal capitalist regimes, but strategically i don't think the space to question america as such is there yet - this is a liberal thread and i'm writing for liberals. in a few years, it might be, depending on what the white supremacist takeover in a country with a plummeting white population share ultimately yields.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Peel posted:

you can certainly take questioning it as an ethical and rhetorical stance, though. i actually came back to the thread to append voter suppression to the list.

legitimacy is a constructed concept - a choice to give a kind of internal assent - and liberals have both means and motive to deny it to trump.

i'm under no illusions about any inherent legitimacy of liberal capitalist regimes, but strategically i don't think the space to question america as such is there yet - this is a liberal thread and i'm writing for liberals. in a few years, it might be, depending on what the white supremacist takeover in a country with a plummeting white population share ultimately yields.

It just seems to me that questioning the system is going to be a much easier sell than questioning the presidency. Liberals are still obsessed with decorum. You could see it in the way Clinton and Obama called for everyone to unify under Trump, as if they weren't effectively the leading voices of the opposition party. Most of the liberals are going to fall in line too, because they think if you follow the rules then you're legitimate by default. The rules were the problem.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Peel posted:

this is a liberal thread and i'm writing for liberals.

Are you sure?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Extremely Hot Take incoming: Alienated people who voted for Trump were absolutely right to do so, because if Clinton had won the establishment would claim to be validated (despite losing Congress, and downtickets) and then nothing would have changed. Their lives would still be mired in the poo poo while every woke pipsqueak confidently asserted that they don't matter.

I agree with this. For the same reason Brexit needed to happen. I was pissed at the time and still think Brexit will be a disaster but the left deserved this. It just took seeing it from an outside perspective to realise it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Liberals are still obsessed with decorum.
I disagree because most people doesn't care who's right or wrong, they just want something done. So the minute that liberals try to retaliate, it only prolongs the argument and nothing happens. Which leads to people feeling like government is broken. Any perceived slight by liberals confirms all the vitriol produced by conservatives and they will say they were right all along. Don't engage with hate. Don't engage with tit for tat. Always address the issue with a solution. Force the oppo to address the issue. Obama knew this. Obstruction is one thing but petty insults and finger pointing always make you look bad even if you're right.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It just seems to me that questioning the system is going to be a much easier sell than questioning the presidency. Liberals are still obsessed with decorum. You could see it in the way Clinton and Obama called for everyone to unify under Trump, as if they weren't effectively the leading voices of the opposition party. Most of the liberals are going to fall in line too, because they think if you follow the rules then you're legitimate by default. The rules were the problem.

This is one of the things that really makes me sour by the way. That liberals fall in line, are more willing to cooperate, and try to play nice with others. When Democrats controlled the House and Senate at the end of the Bush years we not only worked with Republicans and let then pass legislation but we, after a bit of bullshit on our end, actually accepted his Supreme Court Justice nominee.

If we had sat on that nominee and just rejected it forever like the Republicans are doing now we could have given a liberal SCJ to Obama and the Voting Rights Act might have not been gutted. Instead we decided to be the better man and do our job and play nice and our maturity was not reciprocated. When the Republicans got the House back they made no attempts to work with Democrats. They just blocked everything. Shaming them and pointing it out and complaining about it was just met with sneers and declarations that their refusal to negotiate was not them being assholes but because Obama was weak and couldn't lead. loving jackasses.

Now they're gonna stack the courts with conservative pro-business jerks and THAT COULD HAVE BEEN US.

We could have installed someone liberal instead of Alito. We didn't need to capitulate. The economy was in shambles, we knew we were gonna win the election. Why the gently caress, why the gently caress did we give them Alito?

We could have had Ginsburg, Kagan, Sotomayor and [Insert liberal judge here]. We could have had a near-majority! We could have had a chance of protecting the Voting Rights Act!

But instead we played by the rules and our respect and cooperation was met with belligerence. The Republicans didn't care about being fair, their districts were safe as gently caress, there would be no consequences for just being jackasses. We got played.

gently caress us. gently caress us forever for being such beta cucks.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

has anyone posted Bernie's op ed in here yet, cus its pretty good

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/12/opinion/bernie-sanders-where-the-democrats-go-from-here.html

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

temple posted:

I disagree because most people doesn't care who's right or wrong, they just want something done. So the minute that liberals try to retaliate, it only prolongs the argument and nothing happens. Which leads to people feeling like government is broken. Any perceived slight by liberals confirms all the vitriol produced by conservatives and they will say they were right all along. Don't engage with hate. Don't engage with tit for tat. Always address the issue with a solution. Force the oppo to address the issue. Obama knew this. Obstruction is one thing but petty insults and finger pointing always make you look bad even if you're right.

Donald Trump looked like the worst presidential candidate in history and he loving won. We're well past the point when anybody should be caring about image or optics. You say that Obama understands how to force the opposition to address the issue, but what the Hell did that ever accomplish? Every positive thing about his pitiful legacy is going to be wiped out, and every odious expansion of imperial power is about to be inherited by Donald J. Trump.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

While I agree with the sentiment, wondering aloud if Trump will keep his promises without ever addressing he backed a candidate that was literally for the things he's projecting on Trump and saying he still believes Hillary was the right choice strikes hollow to me.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

While I agree with the sentiment, wondering aloud if Trump will keep his promises without ever addressing he backed a candidate that was literally for the things he's projecting on Trump and saying he still believes Hillary was the right choice strikes hollow to me.

I think he means that Hillary Clinton was the right choice on election day vs Donald Trump. He's not saying she was the right choice for the dems.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

Bernie really didn't believe in Hillary, she was the lesser of two evils vs. the craziness of Trump especailly from the platform perspective.

Of course in reality Hillary would have populated her administration with Goldman Sachs bankers and other horrible 1 percenters.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I think he means that Hillary Clinton was the right choice on election day vs Donald Trump. He's not saying she was the right choice for the dems.

Fair point.

etalian posted:

Bernie really didn't believe in Hillary, she was the lesser of two evils vs. the craziness of Trump especailly from the platform perspective.

Of course in reality Hillary would have populated her administration with Goldman Sachs bankers and other horrible 1 percenters.

Again, fair point but your last line is exactly why it rings hollow to me. A lot of what he's concerned about were things Hillary would have also done, and in my estimation she would have done them on steroids.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

VikingSkull posted:

Again, fair point but your last line is exactly why it rings hollow to me. A lot of what he's concerned about were things Hillary would have also done, and in my estimation she would have done them on steroids.

Trumps cabinet is looking to be top donors. He's everything we dont like about Hillary on steroids.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Trumps cabinet is looking to be top donors. He's everything we dont like about Hillary on steroids.

The campaign was a give away how top Trump donors ended up getting leaders positions.

He is getting a Goldman Sachs banker Steven Mnuchin as head of the Treasury.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp_gIWAaQVI

"You know when you have Mac and you want to play a Microsoft game on it, and there's that weird lag? That's Hillary Clinton."

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Getting off to the right start.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

reminder that hillary clinton was pondering bill gates or zuck as veep

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

My point isn't that Trump will be better, it's that I expected more self-reflection out of Bernie. I think Trump is kinda lovely.

e- upon further self-reflection on my own part, he's looking forward and I can appreciate that

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

http://newdeal.feri.org/wallace/haw23.htm

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

can someone cut and paste? nyt has a paywall now

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

temple posted:

This is the most mind boggling paragraph I've read in awhile. I don't mean to offend I really don't and I'm sure you believe this is what happened, but time and time again Obama capitulated on everything except when he was doing things that the Republicans wanted anyway. He was weak President, good campaigner sure absolutely, but he was a week kneed corporatist tool, and if you guys don't want the Democratic party to die (and I'm not sure I don't want it to at this point), then you better do a drat site better then him.

eta- And now I don't mean yelling a lot and calling people names is the way to go, but I do mean having some spine in your action and doing things like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLNKNq9soLE

Instead of things like this

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/793656884083339264

Zythrst has issued a correction as of 15:25 on Nov 12, 2016

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

mrmcd posted:

It is pretty funny how Christie is still getting poo poo on even after the election.

*in extremely thick north jersey accent*
Aw hell yea we are gunna poo poo all over him.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/high-ranking-new-jersey-democrat-calls-for-impeachment-of-gov-chris-christie-1478828777

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zythrst posted:

This is the most mind boggling paragraph I've read in awhile. I don't mean to offend I really don't and I'm sure you believe this is what happened, but time and time again Obama capitulated on everything except when he was doing things that the Republicans wanted anyway. He was weak President, good campaigner sure absolutely, but he was a week kneed corporatist tool, and if you guys don't want the Democratic party to die (and I'm not sure I don't want it to at this point), then you better do a drat site better then him.

Remember when the finance sector crashed in 2008/2009 and Obama didn't use the DOJ/FBI to prosecute the individuals responsible for the crash?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

VikingSkull posted:

My point isn't that Trump will be better, it's that I expected more self-reflection out of Bernie. I think Trump is kinda lovely.

e- upon further self-reflection on my own part, he's looking forward and I can appreciate that

Trump isn't "kind of" lovely. Yeah interventionism is bad and never works out, Trump wants wars of conquest and plunder also to bring back state sanctioned war crimes.
To even imply the two are comparable is too much for me. Maybe I'm still too light on Hillary, but Jesus Christ Trump is a comic book villain. Hillary is boring real world evil.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Condiv posted:

reminder that hillary clinton was pondering bill gates or zuck as veep

As a techie I'd have been stoked for BillG but not zuck, never zuck

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Condiv posted:

you can use a private/incognito window for nyt

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

loquacius posted:

As a techie I'd have been stoked for BillG but not zuck, never zuck

Zuck is a weird doughy manlet who thinks he's a progressive west coast native.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

looking forward to the woke progressive tech ceos bending the knee to trump

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

etalian posted:

Remember when the finance sector crashed in 2008/2009 and Obama didn't use the DOJ/FBI to prosecute the individuals responsible for the crash?

Its okay we'll give you billions of dollars, but no dessert!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Why not talk to your Starbucks barista about the importance of the Wall for Americans such as yourself #StandTogether #StarbucksMakesDifference

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Peel posted:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Is this the right place for me to vent about how the biggest hill shill I know IRL (one of three people from my actual life to get actually mad at me for being a Bernie supporter during the primary) just texted my wife a bunch of times about how she's sad specifically because "now today's kids won't know that girls can be president"

Like, even during the election the fact that Hillary is a woman is the only thing she ever bothered saying in support of her. We now have a president that wants to put muslims on a national registry because they're a security threat, and she's mad because one hypothetical platitude for children will be a slightly harder sell. I dunno if I'm being a douche here but that makes me mad. It's just the whitest reason to get depressed.

Even from a feminist perspective you should be more mad that we're probably gonna lose Roe V Wade.

Peel posted:

Zuck probably will; BillG never will; Notch probably already has

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

When does Bill Gates get his biopic anyway, is the problem that he's not as much of a douchebag as Zuck or Jobs?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zythrst posted:

Its okay we'll give you billions of dollars, but no dessert!

bad dems will also argue it's impossible to prosecute financial crimes by Wall Street, even things like the Savings and Loans investigations should it is possible if the president had a spine.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Condiv posted:

:bern101: posted:

Millions of Americans registered a protest vote on Tuesday, expressing their fierce opposition to an economic and political system that puts wealthy and corporate interests over their own. I strongly supported Hillary Clinton, campaigned hard on her behalf, and believed she was the right choice on Election Day. But Donald J. Trump won the White House because his campaign rhetoric successfully tapped into a very real and justified anger, an anger that many traditional Democrats feel.

I am saddened, but not surprised, by the outcome. It is no shock to me that millions of people who voted for Mr. Trump did so because they are sick and tired of the economic, political and media status quo.

Working families watch as politicians get campaign financial support from billionaires and corporate interests — and then ignore the needs of ordinary Americans. Over the last 30 years, too many Americans were sold out by their corporate bosses. They work longer hours for lower wages as they see decent paying jobs go to China, Mexico or some other low-wage country. They are tired of having chief executives make 300 times what they do, while 52 percent of all new income goes to the top 1 percent. Many of their once beautiful rural towns have depopulated, their downtown stores are shuttered, and their kids are leaving home because there are no jobs — all while corporations suck the wealth out of their communities and stuff them into offshore accounts.

Working Americans can’t afford decent, quality child care for their children. They can’t send their kids to college, and they have nothing in the bank as they head into retirement. In many parts of the country they can’t find affordable housing, and they find the cost of health insurance much too high. Too many families exist in despair as drugs, alcohol and suicide cut life short for a growing number of people.

President-elect Trump is right: The American people want change. But what kind of change will he be offering them? Will he have the courage to stand up to the most powerful people in this country who are responsible for the economic pain that so many working families feel, or will he turn the anger of the majority against minorities, immigrants, the poor and the helpless?

Will he have the courage to stand up to Wall Street, work to break up the “too big to fail” financial institutions and demand that big banks invest in small businesses and create jobs in rural America and inner cities? Or, will he appoint another Wall Street banker to run the Treasury Department and continue business as usual? Will he, as he promised during the campaign, really take on the pharmaceutical industry and lower the price of prescription drugs?

I am deeply distressed to hear stories of Americans being intimidated and harassed in the wake of Mr. Trump’s victory, and I hear the cries of families who are living in fear of being torn apart. We have come too far as a country in combating discrimination. We are not going back. Rest assured, there is no compromise on racism, bigotry, xenophobia and sexism. We will fight it in all its forms, whenever and wherever it re-emerges.

I will keep an open mind to see what ideas Mr. Trump offers and when and how we can work together. Having lost the nationwide popular vote, however, he would do well to heed the views of progressives. If the president-elect is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families, I’m going to present some very real opportunities for him to earn my support.

Let’s rebuild our crumbling infrastructure and create millions of well-paying jobs. Let’s raise the minimum wage to a living wage, help students afford to go to college, provide paid family and medical leave and expand Social Security. Let’s reform an economic system that enables billionaires like Mr. Trump not to pay a nickel in federal income taxes. And most important, let’s end the ability of wealthy campaign contributors to buy elections.

In the coming days, I will also provide a series of reforms to reinvigorate the Democratic Party. I believe strongly that the party must break loose from its corporate establishment ties and, once again, become a grass-roots party of working people, the elderly and the poor. We must open the doors of the party to welcome in the idealism and energy of young people and all Americans who are fighting for economic, social, racial and environmental justice. We must have the courage to take on the greed and power of Wall Street, the drug companies, the insurance companies and the fossil fuel industry.

When my presidential campaign came to an end, I pledged to my supporters that the political revolution would continue. And now, more than ever, that must happen. We are the wealthiest nation in the history of the world. When we stand together and don’t let demagogues divide us up by race, gender or national origin, there is nothing we cannot accomplish. We must go forward, not backward.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

loquacius posted:

Is this the right place for me to vent about how the biggest hill shill I know IRL (one of three people from my actual life to get actually mad at me for being a Bernie supporter during the primary) just texted my wife a bunch of times about how she's sad specifically because "now today's kids won't know that girls can be president"

Like, even during the election the fact that Hillary is a woman is the only thing she ever bothered saying in support of her. We now have a president that wants to put muslims on a national registry because they're a security threat, and she's mad because one hypothetical platitude for children will be a slightly harder sell. I dunno if I'm being a douche here but that makes me mad. It's just the whitest reason to get depressed.

Even from a feminist perspective you should be more mad that we're probably gonna lose Roe V Wade.

It doesn't even make sense on its face because Hillary won the popular vote. If she hadn't been the head of the worst presidential campaign in history, she would have won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

etalian posted:

bad dems will also argue it's impossible to prosecute financial crimes by Wall Street, even things like the Savings and Loans investigations should it is possible if the president had a spine.

Hey, remember when all the banks were illegally foreclosing on peoples' mortgages through robosigning? I'm glad they got a pleasant fine for stealing homes.

• Locked thread