Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

YF-23 posted:

M&T is compatible with 1.18, so I went ahead and took a couple of new screenshots.

e;
Forgot this

Also the country bar is super weird and not very well designed at all

e2;
Uh

e3;
Paris has the "Coastal Center of Trade" modifier.

I almost want to play this for that idea tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Jazerus posted:

As far as I can discern it's the only good idea that mod had and I wish someone else(paradox included) would steal it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Jazerus posted:

I used to play MEIOU back in the EU3 days, and every now and then I feel like M&T would be cool, but even putting system specs considerations aside there's enough systems in there that it just intimidates me out of it. For one thing it integrates Dei Gratia which is a huge overhaul of religion in the first place, but it also adds a ton other systems, which are either explained behind multiple-paragraph descriptions each or which are not explained at all (there's a mid-game building called "Regional Capital" whose effect is +0.10 corruption; I assume once that unlocks there's some incentive to building it, but ???).

And I'm playing without the Estates DLC to boot. I've no idea what changes they've done there. But the M&T modus operandi seems to be to only ever add more complexity on things. Institutions hadn't been messed with at least, but I'm going to go ahead and assume that's because they're a very new feature.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 4, 2016

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

YF-23 posted:

I used to play MEIOU back in the EU3 days, and every now and then I feel like M&T would be cool, but even putting system specs considerations aside there's enough systems in there that it just intimidates me out of it. For one thing it integrates Dei Gratia which is a huge overhaul of religion in the first place, but it also adds a ton other systems, which are either explained behind multiple-paragraph descriptions each or which are not explained at all (there's a mid-game building called "Regional Capital" whose effect is +0.10 corruption; I assume once that unlocks there's some incentive to building it, but ???).

Yeah, I played D&T and enjoyed it until EU3+ came along so I can handle obtuseness, but somehow the border gore is so much worse now than it seemed on the EU3 map.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's clearly a labor of love, there are assloads of events and poo poo for even relatively minor countries. Just the usual modder problems of not thinking of bloat as a bad thing.

I would probably play it occasionally if it weren't for it basically melting my CPU whenever I try.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Incidentally, does anyone here play with Dei Gratia? I've wanted to give it a whirl but never managed to really get a game going with it. Even that seemed to have hard to understand systems (their piety mechanics seem obtuse as gently caress).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Honestly EU4 is much less mod friendly what with the constant huge patches and core game being improved on all the time compared to EU3's small number of expansions and much smaller, less frequent patches, plus the core game having more obvious issues to fix with mods.

I am a little surprised that there doesn't seem to be a popular mod which aims to make the game slightly slower paced and more historically plausible without being some gigantic total conversion monstrosity; EU3 had a ton of them but they seem to all have died or suffered from fatal feature bloat.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I think the problem there is EU4 is close enough as vanilla that no one really feels the need to mod it too much except the hardcore crazy bloat crowd. It's a real shame to see MEIOU and D&T fall down that rabbit hole, they were by far the best two mods for EU3.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The only thing I lament is an apparent lack of MiscMods-style alternate scenarios. Those were great for shaking things up if you got sick of the historical map while remaining recognizable.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Koramei posted:

well here's to hoping that paradox will add in the messiah trait for generals that lets their armies walk over water

Smh if you don't have Lawrence of Arabia memorized

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Koramei posted:

It's clearly a labor of love, there are assloads of events and poo poo for even relatively minor countries. Just the usual modder problems of not thinking of bloat as a bad thing.

I would probably play it occasionally if it weren't for it basically melting my CPU whenever I try.
Would you find this lag more prevalent here or in CK2 Geheimesnacht/Lux Invicta?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Jazerus posted:

The only thing I lament is an apparent lack of MiscMods-style alternate scenarios. Those were great for shaking things up if you got sick of the historical map while remaining recognizable.

I started porting the Dark Continent aka Years of Rice and Salt one but gave up after dlc made me rethink and redo the whole thing like 4 times over

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

YF-23 posted:

Forgot this

Did they create entire regions that are completely inaccessible? What purpose do they possibly serve?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Did they create entire regions that are completely inaccessible? What purpose do they possibly serve?

~verisimilitude~

That or they have magic connection portals with random other territories.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It looks like they have lines of travel radiating out of them to some of the nearby provinces.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh, okay, I thought those were wasteland region borders.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Alikchi posted:

I started porting the Dark Continent aka Years of Rice and Salt one but gave up after dlc made me rethink and redo the whole thing like 4 times over

Yeah, I have enough trouble keeping my "Lots of Chinese states instead of Ming" and "5 Chinese states instead of Ming" mini-scenarios up to date as it is, even though China hasn't been directly touched yet by the DLCs. I may make those new Institution tech mechanics tie into some of the alt-history stuff of the mod, like letting a fragmented China create some institutions like the Renaissance and Printing Press independently from Europe , and the late game "Revolutionary China" decisions/events/tag that nobody ever played my mod long enough to see.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

There's like small lines connecting the "isolated" provinces to other provinces.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

I'm finally caught up on expansion packs. I like the changes to exploration. No more losing ships due to forgetting where you parked them

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

They paint the map in different ways based off how many neighorbing counties someone has

Prettier maps, I suppose

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jazerus posted:

Yeah, the problem with those is that you have to semi re-do the mod for pretty much every major update, and EU4 is three years old now, so while those mods do get done, they are likely to just die a quiet death in or two updates, as the modders move on with their lives.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Perfidious albion at it again

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I found V2's crisis system didn't always make a lot of sense, but it's still a fun and flavorful addition.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Boy Arumba really shouldn't have started a Kingdom of David achievement run just before this US election. :stare:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Boy Arumba really shouldn't have started a Kingdom of David achievement run just before this US election. :stare:

Terrible opinions, or terrible comments section?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Jabor posted:

Terrible opinions, or terrible comments section?

Comments section.

e:No wait, watching more it's both.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 8, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why the hell do you post that and then not post links? jesus

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
It's just lots and lots of, "better pick the greedy trait and focus on business", you know how those Jews are right? Better debase all this currency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecR-7k3bSZM&t=408s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecR-7k3bSZM&t=1122s

and comments like

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 8, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

has paradox considered not making a victoria 3 and instead skipping to 4?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Stairmaster posted:

They should just do that and then act as if there was a 3.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Stairmaster posted:

I bought Victoria 2 and I only play China.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I skipped to Victoria 5 for the trolls.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
It could be : Victoria 3: Victoria's secret, and then continue to 4 in an amazing feat of quick development.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's just lots and lots of, "better pick the greedy trait and focus on business", you know how those Jews are right? Better debase all this currency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecR-7k3bSZM&t=408s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecR-7k3bSZM&t=1122s

and comments like

I honestly do not get the appeal of that guy. I guess it's any port in storm if you have a CKII addiction but can't/won't play?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I really liked watching Arumba face plant against the big blue blob achievement five or six times. He's good at talking through the mechanics while playing, and he puts out a fuckton of content. This Semien campaign is lousy with racist commentary though, and it's not the first time this has been a problem.

The only other LPer I follow who does Paradox is Quill. Any other good ones?

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 12, 2016

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Randallteal posted:

I really liked watching Arumba face plant against the big blue blob achievement five or six times. He's good at talking through the mechanics while playing, and he puts out a fuckton of content. This Semien campaign is lousy with racist commentary though, and it's not the first time this has been a problem.

He only streams, but DDRJake is by far the most entertaining person to watch play EU4.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Randallteal posted:

Marbozir has done a few EU 4 streams, and does Stellaris streams and has a wonderful Polish accent. (No facecam)

Some of the folks Arumba plays with have their own streams as well.

My newest favorite is Taureor, he does not quite have the popularity of some of the other big LPers though. Watch his Mare Nostrum achievement run as Austria for a lesson on personal unions. (No facecam)

Aavak did a Stellaris campaign that was pretty good. (No facecam)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Marbozir is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Entertainment value aside, who's the best streamer/youtuber to learn how to play EU4 well?