Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kbdragon
Jun 23, 2012
re: induction
I had to be induced both times and was able to do it without any further interventions. Don't throw out all of your birth preferences just because of one IV!

As for my current pregnancy we just had our big ultrasound. Yay, healthy baby!
I'm more bummed than I thought I would be, though, that it's a boy. What with sooooo much more morning sickness and a high heart rate I have just been thinking and liking girl a lot more, so I'm just not used to it I guess. My daughter is disappointed too, but she's 4 yrs. old. I just really wanted to see a girl with my genes but a different personality than my older (firecracker, diva, explosion of a) daughter. Also, my son is super super sweet but very reserved and I wanted him to have an only-boy thing going for him. I feel like if baby boy has a stronger personality my will-be-middle child will be passed over a lot.

I'll be fine, but this also seems like the best place to vent these non-pc feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
We just finished our induction this morning! One dose of cytotec was all it took to go from no labor to way too much labor. I ended up with an epidural which I initially was against, but found in the midst of labor that that was the best thing for me.

Ended up having a really great experience overall. Even though I changed my mind about things during the birth, those choice were respected and that was really what made it a good birth. Currently I have our little Harriet sleeping with a boob in her mouth after she fell asleep trying to latch....

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Congrats SquirrelFace! Harriet is a lovely name :)

Rondette you got this! I believe in Rondette! #teamRondette

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
I had one spontaneous labor and one induced with pitocin after my water broke. The induced labor went about as smoothly as possible. Went from nothing to holding a baby in 3.5 hours, didn't have an epidural or any interventions required. I didn't notice a difference in pain or intensity of contractions between the two labors, mostly a contraction is a contraction and after a certain point labor they all suck. Hoping it goes very smoothly for you!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Congrats SquirrelFace! That's great news!

That's going to be you soon, Rondette! :) #teamRondette

All this stuff about cute babies and the miracle of birth is great and all, but can we please talk about pooping for a minute? Ondansetron the miracle drug that has allowed me to eat and move without wanting to puke has also apparently shut down all my insides. I look like I'm 28 weeks gone and it is ALL POOP. Dear friends of the pregnancy thread, please tell me one of you has a miracle pooping cure. So far I have increased my fibre intake to the point where my diet is indistinguishable from that of a giraffe, I drink 3L of water a day, and I'm taking a stool softener. Nothing. I had a go at glycerine suppositories, which produced limited results, but I'm still so, so bloated. Please save me. I might explode.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Dogfish posted:

All this stuff about cute babies and the miracle of birth is great and all, but can we please talk about pooping for a minute? Ondansetron the miracle drug that has allowed me to eat and move without wanting to puke has also apparently shut down all my insides. I look like I'm 28 weeks gone and it is ALL POOP. Dear friends of the pregnancy thread, please tell me one of you has a miracle pooping cure. So far I have increased my fibre intake to the point where my diet is indistinguishable from that of a giraffe, I drink 3L of water a day, and I'm taking a stool softener. Nothing. I had a go at glycerine suppositories, which produced limited results, but I'm still so, so bloated. Please save me. I might explode.

A small iced coffee and a walk every morning is the only thing that works for me.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Drink nothing but orange juice until the dam bursts.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
The prolapse support group have got a million recommendations for pooping- once you go down the rabbit hole wrt constipation staying regular is like the holy grail with us. What sort of fiber are you taking? Sometimes insoluble fibre in too large amounts actually contributes to obstruction, try upping soluble fibre if you haven't. Oats, or 2 tbsp of flaxseed/chia seed in lots of water. If 3L of water isn't working drink 4. Docusate sodium, miralax, magnesium are all good things to try, though I hear each individual's dose may vary for the Mg so you have to experiment. Raise your feet on a stool while on the toilet, keep active if you can with a daily walk.

I used to take daily double Docusate and senna and drink ~4L a day to stay regular during pregnancy, these days I switch it up with magnesium and have virtually committed to a forever psyllium supplementation to keep things moving. And the raised feet while pooping thing too, so much more comfortable. No more straining! I've seen someone recommend looking up paediatric massage for constipation, apparently it works well for adults too but I don't have the link on me atm.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Dogfish posted:

I tried to warn you man!

I'm trying to take a couple of days off zofran to jump-start my system. Oatmeal for breakfast, pears for snacks, but... I used to take calmag in my morning tea, but I can't stand the taste of it right now. I can usually make it two-ish days before I throw my system out of wack and start pulling again.

I guess what I'm saying is also my guts hurt and I don't have a great solution.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Dogfish posted:

Harriet is a great name, congratulations!

I have to ring the hospital in half an hour or so to find out if I can go in today...it's all still a bit surreal at this point. God I hope I can go in today

I must have got really lucky on the poo side of things, I never really have had any MAJOR problems other than a little pile which sorted itself out. I'm sorry to you lot who are going through that misery. :(

Thanks goons for this excellent thread, hope to see you on the Mother side!

ETA

:siren: 3pm today I'm being induced AHHHHHHH :siren:

Rondette fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 11, 2016

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Rondette I hope your baby is here soon!

Re: staying regular. I second coffee, move around, have something that's packed with fiber like lentils, chickpeas (Can't go wrong with some nice hearty Indian food!). If you can stomach a protein shake, that also might help! But a good way to keep things moving, incorporating a little extra into daily food by adding things like flax seeds to oatmeal is a big help.

I think today I'm having a very emotionally confusing day. It's the 18th anniversary of my dad's death, but I also have my anatomy scan in an hour. I'm excited and happy that this day will finally have an emotion tied to it other than sadness but it's bittersweet because my dad isn't here.
Maybe I'll go out for lunch and eat my feelings for today

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 11, 2016

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Rondette! Good luck for 10 minutes time...

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks everyone for the advice; I'm going to take all of it. I'll send my husband a warning text before I have the coffee, though, because it makes me SO SO SO PERKY. I honestly think the biggest thing (besides ondansetron, the double-edged drug) that's causing this is lack of exercise. I've always been super active but on interferon I'm so exhausted I can barely manage a 10 minute walk. Gonna have to flog myself through it though I think because I would rather be exhausted and pooping than my current state. Basically, I'm a mess haha

Rondette posted:

:siren: 3pm today I'm being induced AHHHHHHH :siren:

Yes Rondette! You got this! Go get that cute baby out of you!! #teamRondette

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I think today I'm having a very emotionally confusing day. It's the 18th anniversary of my dad's death, but I also have my anatomy scan in an hour. I'm excited and happy that this day will finally have an emotion tied to it other than sadness but it's bittersweet because my dad isn't here.
Maybe I'll go out for lunch and eat my feelings for today

I'm so sorry about your dad. My granddad died on the weekend and in the weeks before his death all he could talk about was this baby and how excited he was about it; I have that same bittersweet feeling when I hear the heartbeat because I know how much it would have meant to him to see this kid born. Loss is complicated and difficult. Definitely eat your feelings.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Overjoyed double post about pooping: that coffee really did the trick, hoo boy! What would I do without you gals?!

Also 54 40 or gently caress I'm thinking of you and hoping your day's going OK. You too, Rondette!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Dogfish posted:

Overjoyed double post about pooping: that coffee really did the trick, hoo boy! What would I do without you gals?!

Also 54 40 or gently caress I'm thinking of you and hoping your day's going OK. You too, Rondette!

we went for AYCE sushi for lunch (nothing raw for me) and it was yummy, now just going to relax and get some foot rubs with a mocha this afternoon. A lot of the grief went away at the ultrasound, we will have to go back since babu was super active and she didn't get all the needed measurements. But we did get to see a nice big yawn! And a little fist which I'm guessing was a solidarity fist since I've been feeling a little down lately.
Also it's a....boy! We aren't planning on announcing publicly though as to avoid aggressive gendering that is totally inevitable. It's a little sad because my husband really, really wanted he opposite but he's pretty excited anyway. It's uh, pretty much definitely too. She was like "so you sure you want to know what it is?" and I'm looking st the screen at what looks like a V with a pinky sticking out between it. The picture is hilarious, I can't wait to get a copy. Their printer wasn't working today

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
nvm

iwik fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 12, 2016

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Anxiously awaiting Rondette news! Thinking of you lady!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well....I'm currently in bed, at home, with a baby. ......still inside.

*sigh*

Because I am a FTM they gave me a slower release hormone pessary. It releases over 24 hours. I went in this morning expecting to stay there and they were like 'nah come back at 6pm unless anything changes' which so far it hasn't. Getting some v.mild cramps but nothing spectacular. Anyway I'll be going back in a few hours where hopefully I'll get the old crochet hook treatment to speed things up.

Getting bored of this being pregnant malarky now, but I did get given some ranitidine which has been amazing and I wish I had been able to get my hands on some earlier.

Hopefully in the next 24/48 hours poo poo will get done. It's nice to know there are Goons out there thinking of me! :3:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I audibly groaned for you. Wishing best for you and baby, hope you get to meet each other soon!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Oh Rondette, poor old you! Remember you only have to do this one time, no matter how long it takes, and then you get to be a mum for the rest of your life. And sometimes things can turn on a dime with the Cervidil - you might suddenly break your water and boom! be in rip-roaring labour.

Also you should be able to buy ranitidine at any pharmacy; the brand name is Zantac. So if you find the heartburn is getting worse before you go back you can send someone round to get some for you!

You can't be pregnant forever! But here's hoping baby gets the picture sooner rather than later. At least you get to do the waiting bit at home instead of in a hospital room. Good luck!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thank you! I'm in the UK and I think Zantac/ranitidine is prescription only. Ah well hopefully I won't need it soon anyway......

Eta :; huh looks like it isn't. Well, poo poo.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Oh man Rondette - but it will eventually go faster, I promise. Eat now, while you can! As much as you can, and high calorie. You will need the energy later!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cailleask posted:

Oh man Rondette - but it will eventually go faster, I promise. Eat now, while you can! As much as you can, and high calorie. You will need the energy later!

Do Haribo and chocolate coins count.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Omg Rondette bless your patience! I'm crossing all available digits that the pessary works like a charm!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Rondette posted:

Yes. Also bacon or peanut butter cups or whatever else you can think of!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
drat it, I started reading now with 95 unread posts, and figured I'd see the conclusion of the Rondette-saga well before I reached the end, but no! Get out, little baby, your family wants to meet you!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I mean, really, I've never fully understood why babies let themselves be persuaded to be born. So, I can float in a hot tub all day while someone eats and breathes for me through my bellybutton, or I can be born into a harsh world where I have to do all my own bodily functions and learn to communicate, and walk, and eventually pay taxes. I'LL JUST BE STAYING IN HERE, THANKS.

Yes I have found the last week slightly trying, why do you ask?

P.S. Don't listen to me, Rondette's baby. There's all kinds of things out here that you can't see in a uterus, like goats.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

kbdragon posted:

I'm more bummed than I thought I would be, though, that it's a boy. What with sooooo much more morning sickness and a high heart rate I have just been thinking and liking girl a lot more, so I'm just not used to it I guess. My daughter is disappointed too, but she's 4 yrs. old. I just really wanted to see a girl with my genes but a different personality than my older (firecracker, diva, explosion of a) daughter. Also, my son is super super sweet but very reserved and I wanted him to have an only-boy thing going for him. I feel like if baby boy has a stronger personality my will-be-middle child will be passed over a lot.

I'll be fine, but this also seems like the best place to vent these non-pc feelings.

At least you already have one of each! I desperately want a girl for my second (and probably last) but I have a strong feeling that the universe is against me. And if we have two boys I don't think I can take the risk of trying for a third because three boys would be even more devastating.

Maybe your new son will draw out your reserved one? You can always have a 4th so he won't be the only middle child haha

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Rondette posted:

4-packs of Greggs sausage rolls and a sharing sized bag of Walkers Sensations definitely count...

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Dogfish posted:

I mean, really, I've never fully understood why babies let themselves be persuaded to be born. So, I can float in a hot tub all day while someone eats and breathes for me through my bellybutton, or I can be born into a harsh world where I have to do all my own bodily functions and learn to communicate, and walk, and eventually pay taxes. I'LL JUST BE STAYING IN HERE, THANKS.

Yes I have found the last week slightly trying, why do you ask?

P.S. Don't listen to me, Rondette's baby. There's all kinds of things out here that you can't see in a uterus, like goats.

I read a recent article that suggested people stay pregnant as long as their bodies are capable of supporting the metabolic demand of the baby. Once the baby gets too demanding for that person the placenta launches its exit sequence. So if you go post dates your body is clearly metabolically superior! :P

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
I know we were just talking about the pooping but question: is miralax safe? Since my 1 HR GTT gave me a clean out last week I haven't pooped so it's become a more urgent situation!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
You can never talk too much about pooping.

Miralax is PEG, right? I don't think we have that brand in Canada. Motherisk says it should be fine because it's not absorbed. (A small cup of coffee worked a treat for me, I can tell you! I felt like a new woman.)

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

Dogfish posted:

You can never talk too much about pooping.

Miralax is PEG, right? I don't think we have that brand in Canada. Motherisk says it should be fine because it's not absorbed. (A small cup of coffee worked a treat for me, I can tell you! I felt like a new woman.)

Thanks! Yeh it's the polyethylene glycol.
I thought it'd be ok but there was conflicting internet advice. Alas no coffee at home and I'm a coffee snob so I'll have to go to my favourite place tomorrow.

Edit: I think you and I just bounce back and forth between the same threads! Are you following me?!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for your comments they have made me laugh! I'll be screaming GOATS, NORMAN, GOATS!!!!!! and no one will know why!! They had a go late last night at trying to break my waters but to avail...however after a crap night's sleep in a communal ward full of crying women I have been shifted to my own delivery suite so I guess this is where the magic will eventually happen. ..... ......

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Re: poop talk
David's Tea has a blend called le digestif which is caffeine free and acts as promised. Have a cup before bed and wake up to....well, you can figure the rest out

Ingredients: Organic: Apple mint, fennel, ginger, peppermint, orange peel . With natural mango and peppermint flavouring.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Miranda posted:

Edit: I think you and I just bounce back and forth between the same threads! Are you following me?!

We're just both of us sea creatures floating around this ol' internet. But yeah I see you everywhere haha.

Rondette posted:

Thanks for your comments they have made me laugh! I'll be screaming GOATS, NORMAN, GOATS!!!!!! and no one will know why!! They had a go late last night at trying to break my waters but to avail...however after a crap night's sleep in a communal ward full of crying women I have been shifted to my own delivery suite so I guess this is where the magic will eventually happen. ..... ......

Go #teamRondette! Goats! GOOOOOOOATS!!

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Yeahhhh #teamRondette! Do you think that babby is like "donald trump? no fuckin way you guys I'm staying right here let me know when it's over."

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Go Rondette, go! Get that babby out!

Separate question, y'all. I am at 32 weeks and change, and the pain in my hips is miserable. It's like I can feel the ball part at the top of my femurs connecting to my hips, and those joints have been beaten with hammers. I have to say, I didn't expect my hips to be the most painful part of this pregnancy so far! Any suggestions on mitigation techniques?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Should touch down in a couple hours....I've ended up with an epidural which is AMAZING and feeling pretty chilled right now. Labour pains are brutal, I was at it for about 7 hours before I hosed that poo poo.

Will he be before or after midnight? ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Goonspeed, Rondette!