Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

The democratic party will never be able to get white republican voters to vote for the democratic candidate.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

No, really all we need to do is scream at them that their racist and the'll vote for us.

Can someone please explain this meme and the "identity politics lost" meme to me? I know Hillary Clinton described a slice of Donald Trump's supporters as a "bucket of deplorables" and some people are trying to drop retroactive slams on the Clinton campaign's alleged focus on identity politics at the expense of economic issues, but neither of those seem to be borne out by what I observed during the election.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr Hootington posted:

The democratic party will never be able to get white republican voters to vote for the democratic candidate.

Not with that attitude! :smug:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Stacking the court is so far beyond nuclear option that if the GOP does that it's because they're planning to actually create a Trumpstaffel and start killing 'mexicans' in the street.

Ok, so why can't they or why would they not want to do it? What is the big downside of having control of the Supreme Court?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Quorum posted:

IMO dean doesn't have to be chairman to do good work. Give him a meaningless post like the one DWS got bought off with (50 State Chair) but actually put him in charge of organizing a fifty state strategy. Man's a peerless organizer, and it doesn't matter if his politics aren't perfect if he's got someone above him on the totem pole who's better on that.

I can get behind this. He could defintley help, its jsut that I think as a leader his time is past.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Who What Now posted:

They didn't turn out to stop Hitler the first time around, why would they the second?

Because people don't turn out to stop someone they dislike, they turn out to vote for someone they like.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Wales Grey posted:

Can someone please explain this meme and the "identity politics lost" meme to me? I know Hillary Clinton described a slice of Donald Trump's supporters as a "bucket of deplorables" and some people are trying to drop retroactive slams on the Clinton campaign's alleged focus on identity politics, but neither of those seem to be borne out by what I observed during the election.

The meme is a bunch of racist leftists on SA are super happy POC and LGBTQ people will be oppressed or killed so they don't have to acknowledge "no war, but class war" is wrong.

Edit: This election was actually about white people realizing they are starting to lose power over the minorities they have oppressed for hundreds of years and they didn't want to lose that power.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 12, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love how quickly Trump dispelled any image that he is a outsider, who's going to shake up Washington, as basically everyone he's put forward is either a big name republican or long time lobbyist.

I can't help but that's going to really piss off all those poor blue collar whites in the rust belt who honestly thought Trump what going to rebuilt US manufacturing and bring back low skill/high paying jobs they so despratly want.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

botany posted:

Are there detailed voter turnout numbers yet?

Yeah. CNN has a site that breaks it down.

The main takeaways are:

- Around 18 million total fewer votes cast compared to 2012
- Non-College educated Whites voted R about 20% more than 2012 (66% vs 52%)

Turn among groups (as a share of the total vote; not total turnout for each group):

- White; up
- Hispanic; slightly up
- Black; slightly down
- Other; slightly down

About half of all voters said the economy was the most important issue. Clinton slightly won these voters.

Immigration and Terrorism were the next two biggest issues (combined for around 38%) and Trump won them overwhelmingly (>70%)

Age breakdown was mostly the same as 2012, except the under 30 vote was down and the 45-55 vote was higher than normal.

Also, 11% of the under 30 vote went to a third party candidate (was 3% in 2012)

The only demographic that Hillary did better than 2012 Obama in was College Educated White Women.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

The meme is a bunch of racist leftists on SA are super happy POC and LGBTQ people will be oppressed or killed so they don't have to acknowledge "no war, but class war" is wrong.

So basically just accelerationism with another face, the same stupid thing people have been saying since Bush II got reelected.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So surely Obama did better that Hillary on the economy since that was the issue of this election, right?

2008:

Roughly the same margin as Hillary but with the start of the recession going on.

Actually got beat on the economy by Mitt Romney.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

it's actually difficult to find anyone saying austerity is good anymore. Even the IMF, who you think would be in favor of austerity measures given their history, said they do more harm than good.

Nope, people need to stop misinterpreting that press release from earlier this year as some kind of silver bullet. That was the research arm of the IMF which has no input on the actual executive arm of the IMF. The research arm has been pumping out papers against austerity for years without anything changing. As of today the executive arm of the IMF is still very much fine with enforcing austerity through its structural reform packages. Just look at the last weeks of news coming out of Egypt if you do not believe me or literally any Eurozone country under the thumb of the Eurogroup.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

So this article seems to debunk the whole " not enough people went out and voted"

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/11/11/did_clinton_fail_to_turn_out_registered_democrats.html

Because at the end of the day, white people cannot take responsibility for their actions as a country. Hell, this country can't even bring itself to apologize for slavery.

Slavery.

Hell, even the way they teach it is how they talk about how bad it was, but they never really point fingers at who was doing it, compared to say WW2 and the Holocaust. We don't look at slavery and Jim Crow and name the bad guy.

So white people, who objectively are the bad guys, don't want to be, so they will look to blame any and everyone but themselves.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah. CNN has a site that breaks it down.

The main takeaways are:

- Around 18 million total fewer votes cast compared to 2012
- Non-College educated Whites voted R about 20% more than 2012 (66% vs 52%)

Turn among groups (as a share of the total vote; not total turnout for each group):

- White; up
- Hispanic; slightly up
- Black; slightly down
- Other; slightly down

About half of all voters said the economy was the most important issue. Clinton slightly won these voters.

Immigration and Terrorism were the next two biggest issues (combined for around 38%) and Trump won them overwhelmingly (>70%)

Age breakdown was mostly the same as 2012, except the under 30 vote was down and the 45-55 vote was higher than normal.

Also, 11% of the under 30 vote went to a third party candidate (was 3% in 2012)

The only demographic that Hillary did better than 2012 Obama in was College Educated White Women.

I can't find it and the CNN site is a mess. Can you link it? Thanks!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Wales Grey posted:

Can someone please explain this meme and the "identity politics lost" meme to me? I know Hillary Clinton described a slice of Donald Trump's supporters as a "bucket of deplorables" and some people are trying to drop retroactive slams on the Clinton campaign's alleged focus on identity politics at the expense of economic issues, but neither of those seem to be borne out by what I observed during the election.

I am less concenred about identity politics. I am more concerned about failure to reach out to the six million who showed up in 2012 and didn't show up in 2016. Especially as most of the places we lost had voting restrictions in 2012. Yes it played a role, yes we should fight in unquestionly, and frame it as a attack on democracy and to advocate it should be treason, but it was not the only reason or even the primary we couldn't get those people to vote. Also yes Trump is a racist poo poo bag, but guess what? To these people the fact they are having financial problems and they can't trust HRC meant they were not going to vote. We have to change that.

Mr Hootington posted:

Edit: This election was actually about white people realizing they are starting to lose power over the minorities they have oppressed for hundreds of years and they didn't want to lose that power.

No its you inventing a martyr narrative, and finding it easier to lash out at people then admit the neoliberal was a bad candidate.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

speng31b posted:

Because people don't turn out to stop someone they dislike, they turn out to vote for someone they like.

This can't be emptyquoted enough.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

speng31b posted:

So basically just accelerationism with another face, the same stupid thing people have been saying since Bush II got reelected.

Yep! They most definitely want to burn it down because they are not the person in power no matter who won this election.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I love how quickly Trump dispelled any image that he is a outsider, who's going to shake up Washington, as basically everyone he's put forward is either a big name republican or long time lobbyist.

I can't help but that's going to really piss off all those poor blue collar whites in the rust belt who honestly thought Trump what going to rebuilt US manufacturing and bring back low skill/high paying jobs they so despratly want.

This isn't new, though, Trump's been getting away with this all along. He openly contradicts his own party and his own running mate at every turn. It's possible it will play differently now that he's made it all the way, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

fknlo posted:

This isn't that surprising; if you were making a movie and needed an actor to represent "knows a lot about money," Mitt Romney, Mr. Fantastic hair and all, would be the first person sent down from Central Casting.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

fknlo posted:

So surely Obama did better that Hillary on the economy since that was the issue of this election, right?

Roughly the same margin as Hillary but with the start of the recession going on.

I think you guys are missing that "The Economy" means "Wil I personally make more money", not "Will Economic Health Increase For Everyone (Including (Hopefully But Potentially Not) Me)" to most voters.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is there even a remote chance that the Democrats are ever going to push to have the EC abolished since it's outdated as gently caress and has now twice in less than 2 decades resulted in a POTUS that the majority of the country doesn't actually want?

It's logistically impossible to build the wall during Trump's presidency. Not only would it cost in the hundreds of billions, if not trillions, of dollars, but the amount of concrete and steel needed for it is beyond most people's comprehension. That's before getting in to the fact that you're going to be digging up and leveling all that land so you can actually built the drat thing to begin with. Or that private contractors will fleece the government so badly it'll make Iraq look like a sound financial decision.

Nah they'll contract it out to private firms, ensuring a disjointed and patchwork result at best. While billions are skimmed off the top.

Stacking the court is so far beyond nuclear option that if the GOP does that it's because they're planning to actually create a Trumpstaffel and start killing 'mexicans' in the street.

That article really underplays the WI voter ID law poo poo that was going on. It's pretty easy to have poor turnout when people are left with the feeling of "gently caress jumping through all these hoops" because of suppression efforts.

Making the wall would be about 10-20 billion, not hundreds of billions. https://youtu.be/dlm5kxVGYsw

Edit. I still don't think it'll happen, or that it's a smart financial decision, particularly considering land preparation and upkeep.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Crowsbeak posted:

No, really all we need to do is scream at them that their racist and the'll vote for us.
This. People love to be labelled and told to shut the gently caress up. It really wins them over to our way of thinking and doesn't at all ensure that they dig in their heels.

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah. While we're at it, let's all buy some rifles and get the bloodshed started, because clearly there's no persuading anyone.

gently caress you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr Hootington posted:

And much like any meme, it's horseshit.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

No its you inventing a martyr narrative, and finding it easier to lash out at people then admit the neoliberal was a bad candidate.

Hillary was a bad candidate and Bernie was not going to win.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

botany posted:

I have faith the Dems won't run the least popular candidate in the history of polling twice in a row.

I don't

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

botany posted:

I can't find it and the CNN site is a mess. Can you link it? Thanks!

CNN's updated exit polls of 25,000 voters.

http://www.cnn.com/election/results/exit-polls/national/president

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cugel the Clever posted:

This. People love to be labelled and told to shut the gently caress up. It really wins them over to our way of thinking and doesn't at all ensure that they dig in their heels.

The people who were thinking about voting Trump are now dug in and loving steaming about crooked Hillary and her surrogates trying to shame them into submission, and meanwhile Democrats are put off because they see just a bunch of stern Jesuit catechists where their candidate should be.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

negromancer posted:

Because at the end of the day, white people cannot take responsibility for their actions as a country. Hell, this country can't even bring itself to apologize for slavery.

Slavery.

Hell, even the way they teach it is how they talk about how bad it was, but they never really point fingers at who was doing it, compared to say WW2 and the Holocaust. We don't look at slavery and Jim Crow and name the bad guy.

So white people, who objectively are the bad guys, don't want to be, so they will look to blame any and everyone but themselves.

'white people are the bad guys " because Trump got elected?
Yeah, gently caress off buddy.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

No, you see, the liberals should continue crying wolf at every turn, simplifying the discourse so that everyone that doesn't have RIGHT OPINIONS is marked as a Nazi or a person who hates women. It's clearly a useful thing that paid off this past election.

Edit. Sorry for double post. Thought it was editing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This is probably going to go on in more august halls than this one, but I do hope people start volunteering more for their political parties. I am going to be joining my own one over in my country to try and change it, hopefully for the better, because this can show us the danger of complacency.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

negromancer posted:

Slavery.

Literally everybody itt is blaming white guys, just not 100% of all white guys.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Just because you're willing to let minorities suffer doesn't mean the rest of us are.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Thank you!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah it really could. The way these people are, and I do know them, is that they see the system is rigged against them, and if the person they finally are convinced to turn out for doesn't deliever they decide to wait another twelve years before voting again.

Mr Hootington posted:

Hillary was a bad candidate and Bernie was not going to win.

We will never know. But we do know that keeping to your martyr complex and screaming at people for deciding to not vote isn't going to win us anything. So you can learn to be constructive.

Tatsuta Age posted:

I think you guys are missing that "The Economy" means "Wil I personally make more money", not "Will Economic Health Increase For Everyone (Including (Hopefully But Potentially Not) Me)" to most voters.
Duh. Thats why if you can't promise the jobs back, tell the people. I see you're roads are horrible. I WILL BUILD NEW ONES! I will pass laws ensuring locals get first dibs in their areas for road construction. They do want good roads and they'll turn out for that. PLus plenty see road work as a decent job.

Who What Now posted:

Just because you're willing to let minorities suffer doesn't mean the rest of us are.

Screaming at people you're racist for not voting in 2016, doesn't actually get them to vote the fasist out of office. Sorry you can't understand this. Actually it makes it more likely we get more years of minorities being hurt. But then we should put your righteous indignation over real change. That is what you argue for. All you want to to stir poo poo up, and drat the consequences as long as you get to be "smugbert: over this thats all that matters. Frankly you're a liability to minorities.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 12, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, Trump actually won the under 30 vote among whites and almost tied union members.

lol

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Who What Now posted:

So, tell me, what have you actually done? Besides calling people that disagree with you racist.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Who What Now posted:

By strengthening the GOP you are not helping poo poo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Non Serviam posted:

'white people are the bad guys " because Trump got elected?
Yeah, gently caress off buddy.

White people are the bad guys.

They still turned out for trump who was running on a platform of loving over POC more than WWC.

White moderates decided to not turn out for Hillary.

White leftists decided to vote third party, joke write ins, or stayed home because Hillary wasn't pure enough. If they had given a poo poo about class war they would have voted Hillary.

White people are the problem.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

I am less concenred about identity politics.

No, you full on don't care about the lives of non-white and LGBT people. At least have the decency to own it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

This will either actually work or at least not hurt. Maybe not screaming at individuals that they are racist ala Facebook, but insisting that racism is a real problem (and it benefits republicans, so we should resist it) is a winning strategy. It depresses turnout on the other side and energizes democrats if used correctly. We don't give a poo poo if dyed in the wool Republicans will vote for a dem candidate, we just want the wafflers and racists to stay home, and dem base to come home. Depressing R turnout traditionally isn't super effective, but as long as it's also energizing the right pieces of the dem base, it's good.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 12, 2016

• Locked thread