Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

Is there a good rundown of the different Hep ancestors anywhere? I'm paralyzed by choice!

here's what the knowledge bot has to say

quote:

Knight: melee companion. Starts with a flail, a shield, and bonus AC; 7 + HD/2. XL 15: Flail replaced with flaming broad axe. XL 19: Haste and shield becomes a large shield of reflect. XL 24: Weapon ego changes to speed.

Battlemage: hybrid companion. Starts with throw frost, stone arrow, a quarterstaff, and bonus melee damage: 3 + HD. XL 15: Replace Throw Frost with Bolt of Magma. XL 19: Haste and a lajatang of freezing. XL 24: stone arrow -> crystal spear.

Hexer: support companion. Starts with a dagger, Slow, and Confuse. XL 15: Slow -> Paralyse. XL 19: Replace Confuse with Mass Confusion and Haste. XL 24: dagger replaced by antimagic quickblade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

(Though I'm curious - what was your experience with the battlemage?)

Accuracy, base damage (more relevant against non-weapon-users), spellpower are the main things. Also resistance to HD-checking effects (e.g. dazzlespray, meph) [...]

Oh yeah, I forgot about dazzling spray and meph since they check HD, not MR. The dagger of draining the uses most of the game is also good for that reason.

The battlemage was my 2nd favorite pet simply because he has a damaging spell set. It's quite good and if the hex pet didn't exist I think Hep would still be a strong god. Found myself using transference more, both to protect the pet and to control what it attacks. Magma/LCS does good damage against any resist.

Fighter was my least favorite simply because he has to close to melee which lowers overall damage and very often involves him getting in the way. Great if you have the patience and the geography to get him set up. If he had an aggro skill that would rock.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Pretty sure that's out of date. I think you get to choose between paralyze and something else at some point for the hexer, and the knight chooses between a demon trident and a broad axe?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The choices were removed because it was hard to balance.

Knight supremacy!

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Dear Haifisch & City Name Crawl Team,

Thanks for inviting me to your team. I had intended to contribute a few ascensions, but instead I'm going to spend most of my free time working with a group of like-minded individuals who are unhappy with the US election results. Please feel free to replace me.

You've all performed spectacularly so far and I'm sure you'll make a good show of it.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

EightFlyingCars posted:

Is there a good rundown of the different Hep ancestors anywhere? I'm paralyzed by choice!

Choose the one that paralyzes.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Had a few really boneheaded splats this tournament, including a 12-runer in Tar. This last one, a Felid EE of Sif Muna, died to a typo - tried to aim a blink scroll, target wasn't in range, then thought I was re-aiming it but instead took a step and died.

New Sif is definitely neat but I wasn't able to champion her, around 32k turns after reaching 5*. Not sure how much of that is just resting so much due to being weak, there were certainly a few times I was using the recover MP ability to kill tough foes.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

LordSloth posted:

I just got trolled so hard by the secret door vault of doom in Elf:2. Good job guys, good job.

Those butterflies are as confused as you are!

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

yurtcradled posted:

Thanks for inviting me to your team. I had intended to contribute a few ascensions, but instead I'm going to spend most of my free time working with a group of like-minded individuals who are unhappy with the US election results. Please feel free to replace me.

You've all performed spectacularly so far and I'm sure you'll make a good show of it.

Throw me in there Haif, I made my own team just because I wasn't sure how much I'd be playing but now, depressed over the election results, I--

Actaully, Dishonored 2 just came out, so maybe I won't play that much anyway?

I've got a week off between jobs coming up, though. Might be able to crawl a bunch then.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

It's cool, you guys. I'm Crawling for escapism myself, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

someone awful. posted:

It's cool, you guys. I'm Crawling for escapism myself, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Yeah, it's either Crawl at work, or browse something with post-election news all over it.

But anyway, I've got two questions:
1) On CBRO I've decided to play an automatic-skill-MiFi challenge. It's been a cakewalk, but now I have a potion of Exp at the bottom of Orc (got chased out of L:1 by a hydra) and I'm not sure what to dump it in. Somebody come look at my dude. Grandpa Oka hasn't given me poo poo this time.

2) On my cell phone I've got a DEFE of Veh and I need advice about what spells to take. LCS or OoD? Firestorm? I've had good luck with Summon Ice Beast paired with Freezing Cloud well into lategame when the Beasts otherwise would fall off, is that & Servitor reliable enough to get into summoning for? I'm lvl 22 and feeling a crunch on available spell levels, but have books of Power, Conjurations, and Annihilations available, and can buy a whole bunch of other ones.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

yurtcradled posted:

LogicNinja posted:

Throw me in there Haif, I made my own team just because I wasn't sure how much I'd be playing but now, depressed over the election results, I--
Will do once I'm back home.

someone awful. posted:

Also this. You could face the horrors of the real world, or you could die a bunch in a video game. I know which one I'm picking. :v:

Speleothing posted:

But anyway, I've got two questions:
2) On my cell phone I've got a DEFE of Veh and I need advice about what spells to take. LCS or OoD? Firestorm? I've had good luck with Summon Ice Beast paired with Freezing Cloud well into lategame when the Beasts otherwise would fall off, is that & Servitor reliable enough to get into summoning for? I'm lvl 22 and feeling a crunch on available spell levels, but have books of Power, Conjurations, and Annihilations available, and can buy a whole bunch of other ones.
-LCS and OOD fill two different, but complimentary, needs. LCS has really short range; OOD needs to be able to travel a couple tiles for it to hit at full power.
-Firestorm is great. You probably don't need it if you're only 3 runing, but it's still great. It pairs well with Glaciate, although the opposing enhancers can be a pain.
-No comments on ice beasting, because I personally loathe trying to play summoners. (Although higher level summoning spells are supposedly fantastic) Just note that Servitor works best when you curate your spell list to work with it, instead of having your servitor cast a bunch of weak spells you kept around for MP efficiency.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I lost my first DENE of the tournament on Shoals 4 when I got down to low MP and brought my servitor out to finish off a couple merfolk including a javelineer that was wrecking me.

The next turn the javelineer moved next to a wall. The servitor promply blew it open with LRD. Turned out to be the rune vault. My game ended shortly after.

Aside from that LRD + LCS is a great servitor spellset. If you keep OOD make sure you can tank one from your servitor at all times. I've died that way, too.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Speleothing posted:

I tend to prefer OoD as it means I can skip earth magic altogether, although in the postgame a DE will have experience to spare.

Firestorm is a no-brainer on a DE of Veh. For what you're getting you can stabilize it very easily and make the hunger cost manageable (if it exists at all). Once you have firestorm slime becomes trivial, so that's an easy rune 3.

Summoning isn't very useful when you're slinging level 9 destruction as all of them pierce resistances to a degree and have incredibly large AoEs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get the love for Death's Door. I mean I understand why its a good spell but its just so scary to use! :ohdear:

Also I'm afraid to refresh it right after it expires because I think a miscast effect could kill me.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 12, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Death's Door without Kiku is essentially a maximum of 13 turns to get the gently caress out. With Kiku, it's 26 turns max of "kill this room and get the gently caress out." The key here is to use it to get the gently caress out not to keep fighting a losing battle for longer.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Death's door is great for Zigs because you can usually try to kill the room even if things go south and still have time to abort by blinking outta there in a few turns

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well the game took pity on me splatting two characters in extended like a moron and gave me my best run ever. Thank you Wyrmbane!

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/morgue-InternetKraken-20161112-073143.txt

Uskayaw seems like an extremely strong god. Amazing abilities, most of which can be used the second you start worshiping him. You just need to be able to endure some hits, sure, but if you do stand and fight you'll probably just decimate entire groups of enemies with ease. Grand finale is just absurd. Being able to blow up any enemy in the game, no questions asked? I can't believe that was included. With an amulet of faith you can build up piety super fast as well. You can cut through some trash enemies and then stomp on a unique when you round a corner to face them.

If Pak was considered overpowered I dunno how Uska isn't but whatever, its a super fun god so I hope he gets to stick around.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Well the game took pity on me splatting two characters in extended like a moron and gave me my best run ever. Thank you Wyrmbane!

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/morgue-InternetKraken-20161112-073143.txt

Uskayaw seems like an extremely strong god. Amazing abilities, most of which can be used the second you start worshiping him. You just need to be able to endure some hits, sure, but if you do stand and fight you'll probably just decimate entire groups of enemies with ease. Grand finale is just absurd. Being able to blow up any enemy in the game, no questions asked? I can't believe that was included. With an amulet of faith you can build up piety super fast as well. You can cut through some trash enemies and then stomp on a unique when you round a corner to face them.

If Pak was considered overpowered I dunno how Uska isn't but whatever, its a super fun god so I hope he gets to stick around.

Crawl has a problem with nerfing/removing good gods, races, and spells. Just leave the good ones in, you don't have to pick them, just like you don't have to go for a 15 rune run and can win with 3 runes more easily :ssh:.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Don't remove or touch punchgod, she owns and instantly blowing up a nerd owns

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Uskayaw is not actually that strong because the more careful you play the less you get to use their powers. They are, IMO, kind of a "win more" god-if you're strong enough they will make you feel very powerful, but if you're weak enough that you would actually need a god to survive they will not help you much. Certainly not as strong as "infinite wand charges and guaranteed rod, the god" was, and more importantly less dumb design wise

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get the love for Death's Door. I mean I understand why its a good spell but its just so scary to use! :ohdear:

Also I'm afraid to refresh it right after it expires because I think a miscast effect could kill me.

I didn't get deaths door until I was forced to use it while doing a zig. Being immune to damage saved me in a way that nothing else possibly could. After that I just started getting it on everything and finding it more and more useful. It's instantaneous and provides total immortality, and unlike sanctuary and divine protection you can continue fighting. If a hell lord blasts you down to 60~ hp not only do you have a reliable way to survive the next turn, but you can also potentially finish them off instead of having to reset the fight. If a pan situation goes horribly wrong and you have multiple fiends closing in, you can ensure safety in a way that cBlink or HW could never hope to achieve.

DDoor is on par with the best god abilities for surviving dangerous situations, and all it asks is that you can cast a level 8 double school spell and drains almost all of your health. :v:

I can understand the fear though, I have definitely died on the same turn DDoor expired.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
For Hep worshippers, I just wanted to add that the combination of Summon Butterflies, Inner Flame, and Transference is pretty amazing.
code:
The fiery explosion engulfs the freezing wraith.
 The freezing wraith is burned terribly! The fiery explosion engulfs (⊙_⊙).
 (⊙_⊙) resists.
 The freezing wraith is engulfed in roaring flames.
_You destroy the freezing wraith!
 Your butterfly swaps with (⊙_⊙)! The plant is drained by nostalgia. x2
 Your butterfly is engulfed in roaring flames.
_You kill your butterfly!
Crawl 0.19: The plant is drained by nostalgia. x2

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Are Formicids able to use Uksayaw's merge ability, or does it count as a blink?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

tote up a bags posted:

Are Formicids able to use Uksayaw's merge ability, or does it count as a blink?

Yep, antmen can use Line Pass and Grand Finale.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm still unhappy pakellas was removed fight me

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
He can still be with you in spirit. #RodsOut

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

jerkstoresup posted:

He can still be with you in spirit. #RodsOut

I did exactly the same thing and I'm glad I'm not alone.

#PakToTheFuture

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

With Axes at 20, which of these is my best choice?

a - the +6 broad axe of Goihof (weapon) {venom, +Fly rF++ Str-4 SInv}.
b - a +7 war axe of freezing.

I figure the venom will be useful through lair and then I swap to the war axe, hoping I've found a good executioner's by then?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

tote up a bags posted:

With Axes at 20, which of these is my best choice?

a - the +6 broad axe of Goihof (weapon) {venom, +Fly rF++ Str-4 SInv}.
b - a +7 war axe of freezing.

I figure the venom will be useful through lair and then I swap to the war axe, hoping I've found a good executioner's by then?
You're at mindelay for both, so definitely the broad axe, though you can keep the war axe on hand for if you need to fight anything with a cold vuln.

I mean, unless the -4 Str hits you really hard in the EV department, then I could see wanting to avoid that. But on the other hand, RF++ and SInv might be worth it, if you don't have those from other sources.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

rF and sInv are both pretty useless in lair. Those axes are pretty similar so it really comes down to the brand, just swap to whichever is more useful at the time. That will usually be freezing, though poison can be strong against death yaks etc if you have trouble fighting them head on and need to kite. The broad axe is better for orc and after that it depends on where you are going.

A battleaxe with a brand is also a good stepping stone before you find an executioners, at 20 axe skill you already have min delay.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Had a great Gargoyle Fighter that I just lost to the entrance of Slime Pits. I had no idea those tiles did damage to you. Just walked on them and died. I was swimming in unique items that game too. Whoops

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

Had a great Gargoyle Fighter that I just lost to the entrance of Slime Pits. I had no idea those tiles did damage to you. Just walked on them and died. I was swimming in unique items that game too. Whoops
Stay the gently caress away from Slime unless you're 15-runing. And stay the gently caress away from 15-runing unless you know what you're doing.

Basically, just don't go into Slime.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Poison Mushroom posted:

Stay the gently caress away from Slime unless you're 15-runing. And stay the gently caress away from 15-runing unless you know what you're doing.

I didnt even go in! I just walked by the entrance!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm confused about how you had that little HP then. Were you walking around injured? Did you never train Fighting? Or are they way stronger than I remember?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm confused about how you had that little HP then. Were you walking around injured? Did you never train Fighting? Or are they way stronger than I remember?

They do 4d(walls you are next to *3) damage per turn according to the knowledgebot, reduced by rCorr as it's acid damage (but not, I think, by AC? I'm pretty sure acid splashes bypass AC.)

They do hurt quite a bit if you wander next to a corner or take a step down a tunnel and don't realize how bad it is. If those numbers are right, walking diagonally into an L-shape where both bars of the L are two spaces long can do 4d15 damage on your first turn adjacent to them!

Prism fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 13, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, right, Gargoyle.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Poison Mushroom posted:

Slime is more than doable as a third rune, and probably easier than V:5 for most characters. The main thing that can make it harder is if you don't know how to deal with corrosion(don't let yourself get ganged up on, GTFO if you get more than two levels or so of corr, let it wear off completely before continuing), but that's a player experience issue. TRJ is mostly a matter of smashing it really hard really fast, and having some way of mopping up or getting away from the jellies afterward.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Haifisch posted:

Slime is more than doable as a third rune, and probably easier than V:5 for most characters. The main thing that can make it harder is if you don't know how to deal with corrosion(don't let yourself get ganged up on, GTFO if you get more than two levels or so of corr, let it wear off completely before continuing), but that's a player experience issue. TRJ is mostly a matter of smashing it really hard really fast, and having some way of mopping up or getting away from the jellies afterward.

Or torment+torment+immo+anything penetrating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Banish is a bit confusing in terms of XP - Do I want to drop them low then banish, or just fire it off if scary things appear?

• Locked thread