Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Quebec? Ultra-pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey, nothing unethical or questionable has ever come out of Quebec.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I finally got a chance to test drive a manual 996TT today and while it's certainly crazy fast, oh my god the clutch is so terrible. I'm still rusty so there's that, but I've driven quite a few other manuals in the past couple months and it was bar none the worst in terms of weight, feel, and engagement. Now I know why I always read people bitching about it and talking up the GT2 conversion like it's required. It has like a foot of throw but when you let it out it only engages in the last inch, you can't feel when it's grabbing beyond the engine bogging a little, then it goes from 10% to 100% immediately. I even kicked my shoe off to try to get some feel but no difference.

Think I sold myself on an NA 996 after today because I can't imagine driving that on a routine basis.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jymmybob posted:

Think I sold myself on an NA 996 after today because I can't imagine driving that on a routine basis.

I might try to get ahold of the guy selling one here in KC this next week so I'll let you know what I think about it if I get to drive it.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

fknlo posted:

I might try to get ahold of the guy selling one here in KC this next week so I'll let you know what I think about it if I get to drive it.

Thanks but I'm really only looking for 99s currently because they're cheap and are slowly getting special status as the best 996 because of the good IMS and the last with mechanical throttle. As slidebite mentioned, leading Porsche dude Jake Raby crowned early 99s as the best because of ~reasons~ and hinted to get one as early as possible but the key for finding one of the good ones is the 993 style 4 spoke steering wheel. That aside, that KC one looks like a nice deal with the right kind of ownership and mods.

Barring an incredible deal on a 996TT I've decided on getting a 99 996 and when I'm up for a new car in 2-3 years I can reconfigure the fleet based on my actual car usage.

edit: At least that's the plan, if a gorgeous newer one pops up with the right options/color/mods/price then all bets are off. Either way I don't plan to sell this car because I don't expect 996 values to drop much at this point so it's more of a starting point for a stable of cool cars since I have unlimited garage space and a dedicated mechanic shop at my disposal at no expense so if the 99 is the 'collectable' cheapo 996 then it's the smartest choice.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 13, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jymmybob posted:

I don't really understand why it's on BaT since it's about average and there's some really awesome cars out there but good for him since he's going to get like 10% over normal going by what other 996s recently got there.

Yeah, there's definitely a specific aesthetic they seem to like for each brand. For Porsche, it leans toward the Singer look:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-porsche-9111973-rsr-recreation/

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, there's definitely a specific aesthetic they seem to like for each brand. For Porsche, it leans toward the Singer look:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-porsche-9111973-rsr-recreation/

To be fair it's hard not to like Singers and that 996TT is a nice one but it's just funny how everything that gets on BaT goes over market price since it has enthusiast approval. I just love the crazy aero Porsches I grew up envying like this and if it had a rear seat (lol) or airbags (lolx2) i'd probably have that retardo thing in my driveway. I couldn't bear to bring home some awesome car and not let my daughter ride in it so for the next couple years it's 2+2s only.

On a related note this has been nagging at me for a while because it's beautiful and at a great price for the condition http://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketplace/959740-1995-993-manual-midnight-blue.html

edit: I also got hooked because in my old neighborhood there was a nondescript 200k house with an old Tacoma in the driveway who one day had his garage door open and inside there was an orange 996 GT3 RS and a light blue 993 GT2. It was unbelievable and when I'd go past his house afterwards I'd always check them out and think "I need this. One day".

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 13, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jymmybob posted:

I just love the crazy aero Porsches I grew up envying like this
I really hope these stay affordable for another 3-5yr.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 13, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I really hope these stay affordable for another 3-5yr.

What is this? Highly modded air-cooleds? Probably will, compared to cars with stock provenance.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yup. I've never been one for time capsules.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I gave the cars a complete cleaning in the garage today which colminated in me actually climbing into the "back seat" of the 911. I am sure this is a complete surprise but 5'11 @ 230lb doesn't fit very well. I would have looked like I was in a clown car.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I have a growing interest in Porsche. I would love an old aircooled turbo, but it's unlikely that I'll ever own one so I don't swoon over them. Consequently I haven't been active in this thread, but I would like to share this photo from work, two very pretty colors.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Is that Ultraviolet in front? Because I loooooooove Ultraviolet

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

slidebite posted:

I gave the cars a complete cleaning in the garage today which colminated in me actually climbing into the "back seat" of the 911. I am sure this is a complete surprise but 5'11 @ 230lb doesn't fit very well. I would have looked like I was in a clown car.

Once, I gave two SVPs at work a ride to our data center for some sort of meeting in my 944.
On the way out, the 5'8" 150lb guy was complaining from the back and demanding that the other guy sit back there, which he agreed to.
On the way back, the 6'2" 200lb guy was like "oh my god, no one told me the back seat was like this. This isn't right."

Serves both of them right for making me drive :colbert:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Both those colors are very nice.

The PO of my car said that he had 3 girls in the back seat once. I didn't once think he was talking about 6 year old girls, but maybe they were. If you are over 5', your neck has and entire upper body needs to be twisted into an incredibly uncomfortable angle.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

DrakeriderCa posted:

Is that Ultraviolet in front? Because I loooooooove Ultraviolet

It sure is. It looks different in various lighting which is cool. We also had a new 911 R in a silver/matte green racing stripe, I found to be fun and unique.

Edit:

interwhat fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 14, 2016

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I like that color combo, clean and unique, but that purple color is amazing.

In 996 search news, I'm bouncing emails with this guy which is like an enthusiast version of the one I tried to buy. So far no red flags despite the couple cosmetic issues since all the 'right' mods were done plus every major maintenance already covered and done at a reputable Porsche shop. We shall see.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nice car. Black and factory Aero which I know you have a stiffy for. The IMS for that car is probably counter-productive at this point and not a fan of the cold air intake, but it ticks most of the boxes for you. Let us know how it goes.

e: Found this on youtube. Interesting comparison between a 996, Boxter, 930 Turbo and an 81 911SC.

https://youtu.be/CLQ9aDZdFhk?list=PLAxofNln5mbWETsZljL-D4SBezvv-Psqn

The 996 was the winner, but the Boxster was the bargain of the 4

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 15, 2016

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Small update: went and checked out the 981 boxster and everything checked out. the listed body damage was pretty exaggerated (I couldn't see the dent in the door shell) though there's next to nothing on the tires.

The owner's new S4-driving friend who's holding onto his car is a criminal defense attorney who had just broken up with her boyfriend, who owns a Mclaren. On the plus side, she said she'll take me to the track she goes to.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So the guy who hit a "deer", didn't report it to insurance, and had to leave the country in a hurry sent a criminal defense attorney to show you the car.

Powershift posted:

The deer he hit was named kevin and works at subway. He's leaving the country in a hurry and the cops totally aren't looking for the blue porsche that killed kevin.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I'm a big old dumb and I tried the 996TT again and rescind my earlier thought on them. The clutch still sucks but I'm going to wait for a good higher mileage one to come along because I neeeeeeed that speed. I tried to want the normal 996s but I just never got the rush I did from the TT probably because I DD the torquemonster Jeep and the excellent handling of the 996 didn't do enough to offset the power difference for bombing down back roads. Now the wait begins~

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh I can't imagine being happy with a normal 996 if your first experience was on a TT. That said, if you open up the NA 996, it gives out a gratifying sound and power boost as the variocam comes into play around 5000+ RPM. It redlines at 7300 and keeps sounding better and better as you get closer to it.

Good luck though. Maybe throw a bomb of an offer to frenchie.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Oh I can't imagine being happy with a normal 996 if your first experience was on a TT. That said, if you open up the NA 996, it gives out a gratifying sound and power boost as the variocam comes into play around 5000+ RPM. It redlines at 7300 and keeps sounding better and better as you get closer to it.

Good luck though. Maybe throw a bomb of an offer to frenchie.

My first few test drives were on C2 996s and 997s but this past week was my first 996TT try and holy balls it is incredibly fast. I kind of talked myself into the responsible 1999 996 choice but honestly I intend to build up a stable of cars and the TT makes the most sense long term since mods are worthwhile. I can't see how that Canadian one is worth over 30k USD since it has 2 accidents and high mileage so I'm going to watch it closely as it drops.

I'm also watching that BaT one but it'll probably go for 38k-ish despite being worth like 33k. I'm in up to 32k but I'm not a fan of the interior and the $1500 buyer's premium is straight up bullshit when that ad is literally a worse version of what the dude had originally on 6speedonline and doesn't give any other benefits to the buyer.

Edit: attempted to bid, cockblocked by credit card's fraud prevention thing and missed the end. gently caress that. You'd think they could come up with something better than charging my card $1550 when I make a bid.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 17, 2016

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wait, so isn't this a good price by your estimate?:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-porsche-911-3/

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Wait, so isn't this a good price by your estimate?:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-porsche-911-3/

It was a very good price and I was in for 32k but since BaT actually charges your credit card for the entire 5% premium when you bid I missed out since I couldn't re-bid on my phone fast enough after clearing the fraud alert from VISA. I'm still mad about it. It's pretty much exactly where it should be for a good 996TT with solid mods at ~32250.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

It was a very good price and I was in for 32k but since BaT actually charges your credit card for the entire 5% premium when you bid I missed out since I couldn't re-bid on my phone fast enough after clearing the fraud alert from VISA. I'm still mad about it. It's pretty much exactly where it should be for a good 996TT with solid mods at ~32250.

Welp, good to know if/when I see that must have car on there (Viper Green 944 with an LS swap).

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-porsche-993-4/

This thing is super cool

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Those are some big ol intercoolers

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Welp, good to know if/when I see that must have car on there (Viper Green 944 with an LS swap).

Morning update: still mad.

Here's a kind of close one, just paint it green :v: https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5835452868.html
It's like 10 minutes away from me and keeps popping up in my searches.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
In other akron local news, how catastrophically bad of an idea is it to get an old Cayenne?

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5877807020.html

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

In other akron local news, how catastrophically bad of an idea is it to get an old Cayenne?

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5877807020.html

I don't think they're terrible and for that price you couple part it out and probably make money if needed.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Do not encourage me.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Hard to pass up a V8 Porsche for 7 grand~ Just saiyan

Or buy it and drop the engine into a 944 then part it out to recoup the price. You know this is correct.

Looks like some shady semi-dealer dude https://www.google.com/search?q=33O2O36983

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I actually have kept an open mind on a Cayenne after I've seen how cheap they go for, but I'd avoid the V8 S. That motor seems to have a habit of eating cam bolts to the point that Porsche is subsidizing repairs on some of them, but it looks like generally original owners with full maintenance records. If you didn't buy it new and have dared do anything to your Porch yourself, gently caress you.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Jymmybob posted:

Here's a kind of close one, just paint it green :v: https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5835452868.html
It's like 10 minutes away from me and keeps popping up in my searches.

Off topic but that seems like it's making way too little power for what's done to it.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Powershift posted:

So the guy who hit a "deer", didn't report it to insurance, and had to leave the country in a hurry sent a criminal defense attorney to show you the car.

I was told the deer's family has absolved him of any wrongdoing and has no claims over the car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dang, this went for a lot more than I was expecting: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-porsche-9111973-rsr-recreation/

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Yesterday I found a pretty sweet but sold 996TT in Orient red that I told myself I'd buy if I had the chance and it just popped up again in the world's worst ad. That guy is a fucker since he bought that a month ago and paid under 26000 so it's way too scary to take a chance on it but I just wanted to vent because what the gently caress dude, if he made a normal ad and wasn't marking it up after a month then I'd have a deposit to him already.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/936240-2001-996tt.html

Here's the original: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automobiles-sale/397542-2001-996-turbo-orient-red.html

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Hey Porsche thread; what's the lowdown on getting a 944 to act as a DD / "don't care if I'm competitive, just want to have fun" track car? It doesn't have to be pretty but it does have to be street legal. Good idea / bad idea? I've currently got a Miata but want something with a roof from the factory so I can do the occasional rallyX event. Hoping to stay under $5k, and I'm in the San Francisco area, if that matters. I know the PCA has a "looking for a car" membership tier, but I thought I'd check with the hive mind here first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Hey Porsche thread; what's the lowdown on getting a 944 to act as a DD / "don't care if I'm competitive, just want to have fun" track car? It doesn't have to be pretty but it does have to be street legal. Good idea / bad idea? I've currently got a Miata but want something with a roof from the factory so I can do the occasional rallyX event. Hoping to stay under $5k, and I'm in the San Francisco area, if that matters. I know the PCA has a "looking for a car" membership tier, but I thought I'd check with the hive mind here first.

It's not reliable and outclassed by a lot of modern cars but it looks cool and still can be a ton of fun so do it if you like it and can afford it? I almost did the same until I decided to go full 911 before finding one I liked but I'm with kimbo on really wanting an LS 944 because it solves a lot of problems at once.