Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

botany posted:

Which ones were those?

Whiny white males. And Ghostbusters 2016 was not great, but it was a lot of fun, and legit hilarious in parts. Most people who've given it a try after all the hubub died down ended up enjoying it. And they remake poo poo all the time, but for some reason people got all pissed off at this one, I wonder why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fits my needs posted:

Wow, it does sound nice to be able to create all these changes with tools that don't even exist! Nice to know you need to coddle the fragile egos of shell-shocked white people realizing they will be minorities in a couple of decades from burning everything to the ground and loving everyone else.

Also yes, the tools do not exist as of yet, due to the complacency of white liberals in using their mass media privileges.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Doesn't this just boil down to "if your party's been in office for eight years and the economy still sucks everyone will vote for the other guy"? I mean, McCain had an economic message too but for some reason no one really bought it.

There wasn't really anything stopping Clinton from batting for the fences in her rhetoric, and talking about taking back the house and pushing through all the various things in the platform that really would have been a substantial improvement over the status quo. All the stuff Obama wanted, but couldn't get through.

Democrats in 2016 were too concerned with being realistic and thinking too small, imo. Trump promised them the loving world, and they voted for him because of it. Why wasn't Clinton talking a big game too? She would still look downright reasonable next to the insanity of Donald J. Trump and his loving border wall and all the rest. It doesn't matter that the odds were stacked against her in Congress. Tell people "yes we can" again.

UV_Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 12, 2016

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

botany posted:

Which ones were those?

Dorks that wrap themselves up in consumerism of "being a nerd" to have an identity and would actually want a Ghostbusters remake.

Here's a pretty good watch on the whole Ghostbusters fiasco.

https://youtu.be/UWROBiX1eSc

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

speng31b posted:

That message WILL get people to the polls if the dems are willing to use it.

agreed, lets hope they do

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fknlo posted:

Just because she wasn't able to shorten it to buzzwords mixed into a borderline incoherent sentence doesn't mean she didn't have an economic plan. You can find plenty of analysis on it on the internets. It's all still up on her website too.

Lets see how she did on the economy in those rustbelt states among voters that did turn out:

Ohio

Michigan

Pennsylvania

Her great plan (well..) gave her a tiny edge over the incoherent primate.

Deal with it, no matter what her plan was, she did a poo poo job letting people know about it and getting their attention. And to top it off, few people were actually willing to believe her if they listened at all in the first place.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/marcportermagee/status/797462124788379648

lol we're hosed

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Business Gorillas posted:

Dorks that wrap themselves up in consumerism of "being a nerd" to have an identity and would actually want a Ghostbusters remake.

Yeah, those are exactly the people you don't really want to win over because they are a cultural poison.

I.e. the white nationalists in the Hillary parallel.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

UV_Catastrophe posted:

There wasn't really anything stopping Clinton from batting for the fences in her rhetoric, and talking about taking back the house and pushing through all the various things in the platform that really would have been a substantial improvement over the status quo.

Democrats in 2016 were too concerned with being realistic and thinking too small, imo. Trump promised them the loving world, and they voted for him because of it. Why wasn't Clinton talking a big game too? She would still look downright reasonable next to the insanity of Donald J. Trump and his loving border wall and all the rest. It doesn't matter that the odds were stacked against her in Congress. Tell people "yes we can" again.

I don't disagree, but at the end of the day Clinton was pretty hobbled in that department by the fact that: A) she's not a very good/inspiring public speaker B) she really is a rich old insider with a penchant for triangulation, caution, and prudence. In an election genuinely about policy (although are they ever?) maybe that would have been fine, but in this case it wasn't.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Has the general public actually started to learn about how hosed up the Dems are and what we need to do to make things better for both workers and minorities, or are we just all in another echo chamber? Is anything we're saying getting through?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Condiv posted:

:laffo: congrats, the voters who voted overall thought hillary would do well on the economy by 5%.

She won on "the most important issue" in all of the swing states she lost by minuscule amounts. It's almost like if that was actually the most important issue and she won it by 5% among those that turned out she would have won. That almost makes it seem like the "spooky brown people I've never really interacted with" was more of an issue.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004

botany posted:

mlk jr letter

Did you actually read this? If you did, I don't think you truly comprehended it. The only part I can figure you are referring to is where he called all demonstrations violent as they end up exciting to it. He is very clearly stating that the country needed too slow up and allow time for integration over trying to force it instantly. Seriously, reread that paper.

Quorum posted:

Reminder that protesting is a key part of organizing, and organizing is key to both resisting the Republican agenda and preparing to be effective in future elections. It is not "petty" or "whiny."

Yes, I did mention protesting in my post. I mentioned it specifically due to the mocking and fear that this is what would happen when Trump lost. it is not acceptable that people are protesting against Trump and claiming its because of his hatred, fear mongering, and misogyny while at the same time causing destruction and inciting violence themselves. That is petty and it turns people away from the message. It's motivated by fear, it promotes fear and furthers the fuel for the opposition!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Thank you for your comprehensive plan of "wait 50 years and then things turn out one way pr another"

And lol, yes, people have fragile egos, all individuals have the same weaknesses no matter what. Just yesterday you were praising university cry-ins and coloring book PJ parties for white students as progress, but now even entertaining the idea of broadcasting political messages to whites is "coddling white fragility".

I don't support any of that poo poo. The protests going on now are loving stupid and pointless and will do as much as OWS and protests against the second Iraq War. gently caress Trump, and gently caress all the white people that voted for him. Things will get a lot worse as minority communities will be radicalized due to white people taking their time being :smug: about voting a man who wants to ban all Muslims and a build a wall against Mexico. A guy who will be president of the US in 2 months.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Pollyanna posted:

Has the general public actually started to learn about how hosed up the Dems are and what we need to do to make things better for both workers and minorities, or are we just all in another echo chamber? Is anything we're saying getting through?
I think the general public is still in a state of shock.

fits my needs posted:

I don't support any of that poo poo. The protests going on now are loving stupid and pointless and will do as much as OWS and protests against the second Iraq War. gently caress Trump, and gently caress all the white people that voted for him. Things will get a lot worse as minority communities will be radicalized due to white people taking their time being :smug: about voting a man who wants to ban all Muslims and a build a wall against Mexico. A guy who will be president of the US in 2 months.
The protests going on are only stupid if people vent their anger through them and then go back to catching pokemon for the next 2 years.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Whiny white males. And Ghostbusters 2016 was not great, but it was a lot of fun, and legit hilarious in parts. Most people who've given it a try after all the hubub died down ended up enjoying it. And they remake poo poo all the time, but for some reason people got all pissed off at this one, I wonder why.

As anti cultural appropriation as i am, i thought the best "replace white dudes" candidate has always been Christopher Lloyd and some funny young woman making "Back to the future IV" where a woman from the Past/future comes back to 2015/2016/2017. "Who'se the president? Trump? The Millionare?". Ghostbusters was a bad choice.

Its legit the best posting week of my life, and for 5 days of which the mods put me on a well-deserved posting vacation.

Lots of protests in south florida if anyone wants to have a goon meet this weekend.

Bash the anti-fash

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cheese posted:

I think the general public is still in a state of shock.

The protests going on are only stupid if people vent their anger through them and then go back to catching pokemon for the next 2 years.

So we're hosed, then? Because we've got the attention spans of goldfish.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Its legit the best posting week of my life, and for 5 days of which the mods put me on a well-deserved posting vacation.

Lots of protests in south florida if anyone wants to have a goon meet this weekend.

Bash the anti-fash

Go back to 4chan and fellating Chris Poole.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Also requires 2/3rd Congressional Approval.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Pollyanna posted:

Only if Trump hands the keys over to Mike Pence who quietly starts dismantling everything we know and love about this country. As long as Trump stays the villain and people can coalesce around defeating him we have hope.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

fknlo posted:

She won on "the most important issue" in all of the swing states she lost by minuscule amounts. It's almost like if that was actually the most important issue and she won it by 5% among those that turned out she would have won. That almost makes it seem like the "spooky brown people I've never really interacted with" was more of an issue.

it wasn't the most important issue among those who voted. problem is, you have almost no room to grow in that group because if they didn't vote dem, they voted trump and can't be reached (or so hillary diehards like to claim). so, navelgazing at what you did well on with those who voted isn't doing you much good, since you need to pull in another group, those who didn't vote. before claiming "we did well enough on economy so it wasn't actually important" you actually need to talk to those who stayed home and find out why they stayed home.

oh, but you're too busy looking for easy answers

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, those are exactly the people you don't really want to win over because they are a cultural poison.

I.e. the white nationalists in the Hillary parallel.

Did you see a bunch of white rust belters call each other bigots and X out of the video?

I mean we just tried the "let's wrap the same poo poo we've been selling for 30 years in identity politics and take minorities for granted" and we have President Cheeto.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

We still have 48-49 Senators depending on how that runoff goes. Not really a thing.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

I wonder if that demographic has a distinct racial makeup...

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

cheese posted:

We still have 48-49 Senators depending on how that runoff goes. Not really a thing.

Amending the Constitution is also the definition of overreacting.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

MattD1zzl3 posted:

As anti cultural appropriation as i am, i thought the best "replace white dudes" candidate has always been Christopher Lloyd and some funny young woman making "Back to the future IV" where a woman from the Past/future comes back to 2015/2016/2017. "Who'se the president? Trump? The Millionare?". Ghostbusters was a bad choice.

Bash the anti-fash

I think I ate about two weeks of probations in total for low effort trolling and saying "hey maybe openly antagonizing white people isn't a good idea" over the past couple months. I'm right there with you.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Condiv posted:

it wasn't the most important issue among those who voted.

What? How are you drawing that conclusion from the exit polls that state that the economy was the most important issue?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Did you see a bunch of white rust belters call each other bigots and X out of the video?

I mean we just tried the "let's wrap the same poo poo we've been selling for 30 years in identity politics and take minorities for granted" and we have President Cheeto.

In reform, there are still groups you don't want to touch.

Pollyanna posted:

Now extrapolate this knowledge to decision making before the elections. A guy is told that he needs to fight for social justice by a campaign volunteer. He reads the free literature. He is fired up. He tweets, he talks, he plans in his head. A week passes, he gets stressed out at work, he has to worry about bills, his wife is nagging, and now the election day is here. So he remembers that in the past days he heard something about race equality, and that it seemed important, but he's tired, and he feels miserable, and really what can he do about it with his one vote, and to be completely honest he doesn't understand the issue anyway, even though it made sense back then when he read those pamphlets...

So he doesn't vote.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

botany posted:

I wonder if that demographic has a distinct racial makeup...

If your takeaway to a bunch of rust belters saying "MAYBE THE MOVIE WAS JUST BAD ON ITS OWN MERIT??" is "ugh, white people :rolleyes:", maybe the Ghostbusters movie is more prescient than I previously thought

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cheese posted:

Only if Trump hands the keys over to Mike Pence who quietly starts dismantling everything we know and love about this country. As long as Trump stays the villain and people can coalesce around defeating him we have hope.

He already has handed the keys over to Pence. He intended to do so from the start. I mean...I don't have any proof on hand to point to. gently caress, I'm awful at this, why am I even bothering? I don't know, man, I just don't want my very existence to be outlawed by the literal Antichrist.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Shadokin posted:

Did you actually read this? If you did, I don't think you truly comprehended it. The only part I can figure you are referring to is where he called all demonstrations violent as they end up exciting to it. He is very clearly stating that the country needed too slow up and allow time for integration over trying to force it instantly. Seriously, reread that paper.

Wow.

You need to re-read the "to:" line.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

cheese posted:

lol, like Trump would ever not take the opportunity to make something about him. This isn't like GWB who hosed off to his ranch in Crawford and stayed quiet while Cheney called the shots.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

speng31b posted:

That message WILL get people to the polls if the dems are willing to use it.

That's why I said IF. I'm saying she didn't do that and IF it isn't the correct message then you have to find something else.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

steinrokkan posted:

Now extrapolate this knowledge to decision making before the elections. A guy is told that he needs to fight for social justice by a campaign volunteer. He reads the free literature. He is fired up. He tweets, he talks, he plans in his head. A week passes, he gets stressed out at work, he has to worry about bills, his wife is nagging, and now the election day is here. So he remembers that in the past days he heard something about race equality, and that it seemed important, but he's tired, and he feels miserable, and really what can he do about it with his one vote, and to be completely honest he doesn't understand the issue anyway, even though it made sense back then when he read those pamphlets...

So he doesn't vote.

This is more or less what I expected. Focusing on one side over the other didn't work. We need to focus on both, to the detriment of neither. I want to have my loving cake and eat it, too, and it's goddamn possible. We just need to figure out how.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Whole lot of twisting and goal post moving to try to blame Clinton going on here. "People don't like her on the economy" except apparently they did prefer her on the economy even in swing states. "She didn't turn out enough voters" except she a) won the popular vote and b) it's looking like her turnout is higher than any other recent candidate except Obama. I don't know guys, seeing how the demographics broke down, I think some sort of ism might have been involved and the economy maybe wasn't actually the big issue.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 12, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Other than really pissing off White people, what is the loving problem with "Identity politics"? To me it just seems like "Your revolution needs to wait until mine gets going".

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Condiv posted:

it wasn't the most important issue among those who voted. problem is, you have almost no room to grow in that group because if they didn't vote dem, they voted trump and can't be reached (or so hillary diehards like to claim). so, navelgazing at what you did well on with those who voted isn't doing you much good, since you need to pull in another group, those who didn't vote. before claiming "we did well enough on economy so it wasn't actually important" you actually need to talk to those who stayed home and find out why they stayed home.

oh, but you're too busy looking for easy answers

I think we all know that we need both economic and social issues if we're going to drive turnout. I think what's frustrating some of us is that the entire postmortem process, in the media, here, and elsewhere, seems to be overstating the rustbelt white folks who are disenfranchised and understating the need to reach out to and genuinely convince minorities, immigrants that there's a chance for positive change. Those things aren't incompatible, but it's frustrating to see the narrative almost entirely focusing on the white elites vs the white poors and sidelining/delegitimizing a really important element.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 12, 2016

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Xae posted:

Also requires 2/3rd Congressional Approval.

Not necessarily. 2/3rds of state legislatures can also propose amendments, which then are ratified by 3/4s.

quote:

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as part of this Constitution

Also Jesus did run-on sentence restrictions not exist in the 1700s?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Ghostbusters movie is a perfect analogy for this, actually.

A lovely corporate rehash of the same tired poo poo we've been getting for years purposefully cultivated the idea that any criticism of it makes you a bigot. It wrapped itself in identity politics, isolated major demographics, and ended up to be a total flop because it turns out it was a bad movie from the start and everyone knew it.

Uh bro if having to look at women, some of whom aren't white, alienates you... you are the problem here to be quite honest.

Also as if the original Ghostbusters, a pre-planned merchandising bonanza, wasn't corporate as gently caress? Like really?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

zegermans posted:

Not necessarily. 2/3rds of state legislatures can also propose amendments, which then are ratified by 3/4s.

Also Jesus did run-on sentence restrictions not exist in the 1700s?

A Constitution Convention is a non starter.

For one there are no rules for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

fknlo posted:

What? How are you drawing that conclusion from the exit polls that state that the economy was the most important issue?

if it was the most important part of the election and she won on it then she would've won. why are you still going on about analyzing polls that can't possibly fix the issues you're dealing with?

speng31b posted:

I think we all know that we need both economic and social issues if we're going to drive turnout. I think what's frustrating some of us is that the entire postmortem process, in the media, here, and elsewhere, seems to be overstating the rustbelt white folks who are disenfranchised and understating the need to reach out to and genuinely convince minorities, immigrants that there's a chance for positive change. Those things aren't incompatible, but it's frustrating to see the narrative almost entirely focusing on the white elites vs the white poors and sidelining/delegitimizing a really important element.

agreed, but during the election we had a strong oppression of the economic justice so we're probably seeing a ton of bounceback from that. but yes I think a strong combined social justice/economic justice message going forward would be best.

• Locked thread