Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Jaminjami posted:

💪💪💪

so much :ironicat:

ed:it balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Zikan posted:

more epic Clinton campaign failure

https://twitter.com/jimtankersley/status/797492671631790084

im gonna get off the internet and smoke now

clinton campaign... BAD???

Jaminjami
Jan 26, 2015
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/797554312939343872

he's powering up o_o

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

comedyblissoption posted:

here's a good taibbi article about the democratic party betrayal of american workers and how the claims of neoliberal globalization benefitting american workers is just as much a sham as republican trickle down economics
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/a-republican-workers-party-w433295

Feels good to have been following all the old Exile crew.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

he is powering up for a 2020 run.

when he wins, i just want his victory speech to be 'I TOLD YOU FUCKERS' *mic drop*

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Cubey posted:

he is powering up for a 2020 run.

when he wins, i just want his victory speech to be 'I TOLD YOU FUCKERS' *mic drop*

Dude probably doesn't have 8 years in him with the stresses that would cause.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

he doesn't need 8 years my man. run in 2020 with a young progressive like gabbard as vp in case he eats it during office, if he makes it the whole term he retires after one term and hands the reigns to someone like him but younger.

trump will be 75 in 2020 and already looks more unhealthy than sanders now so i don't even think the age thing would matter in the eyes of voters.

DEEP STATE PLOT has issued a correction as of 22:57 on Nov 12, 2016

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

anyway, the heavy focus on reforming democratic economic stances, while important, imo continues to obscure a point itt: that the #1 threat to democratic success in future elections, and one of the key causes of the disaster on election day, is republican attempts to prevent minorities voting. they already have met with success and now they control more state governments, the justice department, and might have more of the supreme court. on the face of it making sure their base is allowed to vote at all in future elections is the most important task for the democratic party right now. hopefully obama will still try to do this even though his position is much worse

this is one reason why i keep dragging things back to race itt. no matter how important advancing a positive economic message is, this was the core issue of the last election, will be of the next, and the democrats neglect it at their peril

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

lol

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Jaminjami posted:

💪💪💪

Aaaaaaghdjagfshejjtjtnfjdjekkefffffffpffffffttlaldjnr

*farts*

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Peel posted:

anyway, the heavy focus on reforming democratic economic stances, while important, imo continues to obscure a point itt: that the #1 threat to democratic success in future elections, and one of the key causes of the disaster on election day, is republican attempts to prevent minorities voting. they already have met with success and now they control more state governments, the justice department, and might have more of the supreme court. on the face of it making sure their base is allowed to vote at all in future elections is the most important task for the democratic party right now. hopefully obama will still try to do this even though his position is much worse

this is one reason why i keep dragging things back to race itt. no matter how important advancing a positive economic message is, this was the core issue of the last election, will be of the next, and the democrats neglect it at their peril

like are you a caricature of a liberal or something?

its the economy, stupid

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Peel posted:

Yeah, I'm worried about this too. Overcorrection is in our nature, after all.

I've thought about the voter suppression thing a bit and I honestly think the only reliable solution (since legislative remedies clearly aren't going to happen any time soon) is to throw a poo poo-ton of money at the problem. Set up foundations to help people get IDs and deal with paperwork to comply with restrictive voting laws and hire fleets of vehicles to transport people to polls in places where they're being closed down, that sort of thing.

So, uh, how exactly does one go about setting up a SuperPAC?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also, how does one go about getting a poo poo-ton of money?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Peel posted:

race is definitely still a core thing, it should just be handled with more care and not by snarky ivory tower assholes who will call you a bigot if you dont understand 100% of the complexities of internationalism and race. critique drift has hurt the social left hard.

http://fredrikdeboer.com/2015/03/10/critique-drift/

this explains the point i am trying to make alot better.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

what happens when we two candidates with powerful meme magic?

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Cubey posted:

he doesn't need 8 years my man. run in 2020 with a young progressive like gabbard as vp in case he eats it during office, if he makes it the whole term he retires after one term and hands the reigns to someone like him but younger.

trump will be 75 in 2020 and already looks more unhealthy than sanders now so i don't even think the age thing would matter in the eyes of voters.

I think Bernie's age might hurt him in 2020. Better to go Gabbard/Sanders or _______/Sanders. You get his cred on the ticket, have somebody younger and perhaps more charismatic at the top of the ticket. Not that Bernie doesn't have charisma; it's just that we could probably get somebody more charismatic on top of the ticket.

e: Also, Gabbard is a minority female and identity politics isn't completely dead. (Why we erase Sanders' Judaism and act like it isn't a minority identity, I don't know, but we do.)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Grondoth posted:

You know what fuckin' gets me?

This whole slapdash team of aides with no real vision, the contrasting and conflicting views of the candidate that they couldn't pin down, the general laziness and arrogance of her campaign? Fuckin' what happened last time. Her primary in 2008 was just like this.

How the gently caress did it happen again? How the gently caress did she let the same thing happen? Is she really just that bad of a politician? I think I know the answer, but holy poo poo how can you make the same type of mistakes twice!

Hillary Clinton is simply unelectable, marginally more so than Donald Trump

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fidel Castronaut posted:

(Why we erase Sanders' Judaism and act like it isn't a minority identity, I don't know, but we do.)

Because erasing Sanders's Jewishness was the only way they could pretend Hillary had special minority powers.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Cubey posted:

It's more is he up to run himself ragged, not would it worry voters. He's already doing the elder statesman thing and kingmaking
But what do I know. They say presidential ambition is only cured by death

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Grognan posted:

like are you a caricature of a liberal or something?

its the economy, stupid

the man who said that, and his wife, spent a whole lot of time and effort working with and building support among black people and that delivered said wife success in the primary this year

'your supporters are literally not allowed to vote' is not a marginal concern

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

comedyblissoption posted:

i'm going to laugh my rear end off if trump is able to get his trillion dollar infrastructure jobs project through w/ significant public funding while all the dnc sycophants and hillfolk shriek at it

this isn't going to happen. if it does, it will be building a giant dumb wall somewhere or turning a forest park into a parking lot

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cubey posted:

He's not dumb. he's not going to run on an "I told you so" campaign.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I think Bernie's age might hurt him in 2020. Better to go Gabbard/Sanders or _______/Sanders. You get his cred on the ticket, have somebody younger and perhaps more charismatic at the top of the ticket. Not that Bernie doesn't have charisma; it's just that we could probably get somebody more charismatic on top of the ticket.

e: Also, Gabbard is a minority female and identity politics isn't completely dead. (Why we erase Sanders' Judaism and act like it isn't a minority identity, I don't know, but we do.)

However you want to do it, but with Nina.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
black turnout was way down in Flint/Detroit for reasons that are not voter suppression, the rust belt did not give a gently caress about Clinton no matter what race

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fidel Castronaut posted:

i think age will only matter if by 2020, he is not as sharp and charismatic as he is now. which hell maybe he won't be, like he said 4 years is a long time. gabbard is good too and i wouldn't mind her at the top, i just feel that since sanders is a known quantity and since he was right all along and now everyone is coming around to that fact, he would be a better bet.

but ultimately we need to worry about the now and the immediate future, which is getting ellison as chair and making the dems fall in line behind him. i am sending the phone numbers and email addresses in the op to various friends i know who care about this election in various states so that their local dems will hopefully get behind ellison as chair and i implore everyone to do the same if you have not yet.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It's more is he up to run himself ragged, not would it worry voters. He's already doing the elder statesman thing and kingmaking
But what do I know. They say presidential ambition is only cured by death

sanders is good people and if he feels he's the only hope for the dems in 2020 i think he will do it even if it literally kills him

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Venom Snake posted:

He's not dumb. he's not going to run on an "I told you so" campaign.

it was a joke, silly

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Feels good to have been following all the old Exile crew.

Hill Folk didn't see anything wrong with her fervent support of the TPP, even though organizations such as Medecins Sans Frontieres warned it would give big pharma even more leverage.

Also our Abuela erased all statements supporting the TPP from the new edition of her memoir.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
https://twitter.com/freddiedeboer/status/797234324265455616

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

I'm lucky enough to have been able to say to my Congressperson "Hey, I teach at your alma mater and Keith Ellison went to your alma mater and he's good and righteous so let's do the thing. Might help that Conyers is the longest-serving Congressperson right now and represents one of the districts where people are fed up of status quo democrats.

This really is the tipping point for the party in my eye. Get behind Ellison or get got forever.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i like theory crafting about 2020 as well but everyone should be way more concerned about positioning for 2018 midterms so the republicans cant just add amendments to the constitution

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

incidentally, is there anything being done about the upcoming senate runoff in louisiana

i'm aware louisiana senate is probably a lost cause, but so was trump and here we are

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Goku only had 30 minutes in SSJ3 form and almost beat Majin Buu, therefore

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cubey posted:

sanders is good people and if he feels he's the only hope for the dems in 2020 i think he will do it even if it literally kills him

I think he would, but I think he's also trying his damnedest to set things up so he won't be. Trying to pull the party* back together and back on point, championing Ellison (rather than himself) as DNC chair, even if he's doing it all out of ambition it feels more like ambition for influence in the Senate (which I would feel really good about him getting) than for taking another stab at the big chair in 4-8 years.

___
*I notice that no one's shouting BUT HE'S NOT A DEMOCRAT these days. Good.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Hey remember when Clinton had pneumonia and instead of being like "OK I got sick because I've been working so hard gonna rest up and be back in a week" they were evasive and put out a bunch of bullshit about "dehydration" and launched a million stupid brain cancer conspiracy theories because they have to micromanage every single loving think in the dumbest way possible without ever showing human vulnerability?

Then we were all "This is fine. I'll put this fire with the other fire."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

LinYutang posted:

black turnout was way down in Flint/Detroit for reasons that are not voter suppression, the rust belt did not give a gently caress about Clinton no matter what race

The election was close enough that any one factor changing could have resulted in a different outcome.

Running a campaign that doesn't completely ignore the existence of an entire region is certainly the bare minimum that needs to happen next time around. Other problems shouldn't be ignored, though.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

bump_fn posted:

i like theory crafting about 2020 as well but everyone should be way more concerned about positioning for 2018 midterms so the republicans cant just add amendments to the constitution

Yeah, that's not only the fight that's closer on the horizon, it's the fight (midterms) that democrats have been loving awful at and, from what I recall, it is a year with a lot of races that would be very tough for dems to win.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

docbeard posted:

I think he would, but I think he's also trying his damnedest to set things up so he won't be. Trying to pull the party* back together and back on point, championing Ellison (rather than himself) as DNC chair, even if he's doing it all out of ambition it feels more like ambition for influence in the Senate (which I would feel really good about him getting) than for taking another stab at the big chair in 4-8 years.

___
*I notice that no one's shouting BUT HE'S NOT A DEMOCRAT these days. Good.

this may very well be what he is doing and i am all for it.

whatever his plan is, if it means a progressive dem party and a progressive dem candidate in 2020, whether it is him or someone else, that is ultimately all that matters.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cubey posted:

it was a joke, silly

Sorry. it's really hard to tell the difference sometimes lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The Democrats are quickly running out of states that aren't California/New York to find politicians that can bring together multiple disparate groups. They have to start turning this around now.

• Locked thread