Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

I really want nuclear reactor damage leading to radioactive steam and molten sodium being vented into crew compartments and then modelling damage control efforts. I really want to focus on what happens after a torpedo hits a sub and the crew is rushing around while the sub is uncontrollably sinking. Then crrsssrh, the sub bottoms out and the forward torpedo compartment is all that is left. The crew light oxygen candles and await rescue that never comes. After 4 days acute radiation sickness get em all, aside from those who's lungs were crisped by superheated steam who die due to asphyxiation at differing rates.

Damage control fascinates me, I worry for modern american ships with tiny crews, because a frickin fire in the galley could mission kill a ship.

whoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the crew also run out of water on day 1 so its a race between radiation and dehydration and hypothermia!

Crewman Theodor has entered a Fey Mood!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I forgot to turn my radar off so I immediately was killed trying to do the tutorial.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
EMCON is essential!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Good luck with your murder simulator, Baloogan.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

And also I have no idea how to use lofar.

Edit: wait no I think i just got confused by the flickering lines.

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 12, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Speaking of damage control

Kuznetsov is (was) on fire, lol

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol thats normal

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Phi230 posted:

Speaking of damage control

Kuznetsov is (was) on fire, lol

Apparently it runs on diesel so thats just massive clouds of exhaust.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've only seen that kinda poo poo with coal power wtf

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
aircraft carriers are big as gently caress. and they have HUGE HUGE engines because the carrier needs to go fast. we're used to seeing american carriers that either burn atomz or have gas turbines + vtol a/c.

kuzentsov is stol, and their strike loadout weight is riiiight up against the limits. If there isn't a breeze, they can't launch poo poo unless they push flank.

To launch aircraft the thing that matters is the speed of the air under the wing. So carriers without cats turn into the wind, and go fast to increase that speed of air under the wind.

Kuzentsov's aircraft launch without a full load of fuel if they carry any bombs, etc. So you see its a balacing game between the airspeed across the deck and the loadouts you can muster. This means when the kuzensov needs to launch aircraft it fuckin opens up all its throttles and brings us one day closer to the global warming apocylypse

american carriers don't need to do this. because we're leet as poo poo. Our dinky gas fired carriers do vtol so they don't need to go crazy to launch and recover aircraft, even our stol harriers / f-35bs are vtol as gently caress and can handle a larger envelope

also our engines are better I bet, with filters and poo poo so you don't get that horrid exaust cloud because the USN is enviromentally friendly or some bollux

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

Apparently it runs on diesel so thats just massive clouds of exhaust.

I've got sources that say post moderization it uses diesel, other sources saying gas. I believe could totally be diesel lol.

Holy poo poo you could SMELL her before you see her hahahaha

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Hey Baloogan, does CMANO model OdourCON?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Does sub commander seriously only have one nato sub and nothing else???

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

No, it has 4-5 different sub types, including a non-nuclear diesel. [edit] Oh wait, I think you mean Non-Russian themed subs? They're all generics usable by any nation.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
you know, during the cold war ships would sample the seawater looking for things like food / oil tracers in the ocean looking for hostile subs. Didn't ever work, but you can see it famously in The Bedford Incident which is a pretty crap movie overall. Retelling of Moby Dick, with a russian sub as the white whale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOll3v55Dmo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No, it has 4-5 different sub types, including a non-nuclear diesel. [edit] Oh wait, I think you mean Non-Russian themed subs? They're all generics usable by any nation.

Oh, I thought they were specifically that class of sub.

e: this game is pretty near but I can already see how it'd get a little shallow. Does anyone have any recommendations for a warship-simulator with a little more depth?

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 13, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Stairmaster posted:

e: this game is pretty near but I can already see how it'd get a little shallow. Does anyone have any recommendations for a warship-simulator with a little more depth?

Dangerous Waters?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Stairmaster posted:

Besides the Silent Hunter series? Not sure. Naval Action might work for sailing ships, but the open world pesudo-MMO format kinda sucks and it might not be the right kind of in depth.

Actually what do you mean by in depth? crew management? campaign engine? etc etc?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
How hard would it be to import a custom map into CMANO? What program would you need to make the map in? To be clear, by custom map I mean made-up landmasses etc. Thank you.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

How hard would it be to import a custom map into CMANO? What program would you need to make the map in? To be clear, by custom map I mean made-up landmasses etc. Thank you.

Let me guess; Strangereal?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Baloogan posted:

american carriers don't need to do this. because we're leet as poo poo.

for some reason i thought you were a Canadian ameraboo?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Was it Koesj who had a WWIII TOAW scenario they were working on or was that someone else

I need it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

It's doable but you have to be good w computers mapping geometry etc.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Dual citizen!

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Drone posted:

freeaboo

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

Well Cold Waters isn't out yet but it seems like it can be the savior of mainstream naval wargaming

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Thats "Atlantic/Pacific Fleet: Cold War" edition, right?

They should make a WW1 version. No stupid planes to ruin my clash of Dreadnoughts.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's a single sub simulator.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

And?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Atlantic fleet was multiple ships in turn based combat.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

Atlantic fleet was multiple ships in turn based combat.

oh yeah

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'd love a simple 'Seapower' game. Like, a game that starts in the 1400s and goes to today and illustrates the influence of seapower upon history.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

I'd love a simple 'Seapower' game. Like, a game that starts in the 1400s and goes to today and illustrates the influence of seapower upon history.

put in a 1750 database in CMANO please

i wanna see how 1st Rates react to Napalm

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Stairmaster posted:

Wait, really? I saw it was from the Atlantic fleet guys and glanced at a few screenshots and made a very foolish assumption. My interest is certainly increased.

Still want Jutland Fleet or whatever though. I just want more WW1 naval stuff in general thanks to RtW. :v:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, really? I saw it was from the Atlantic fleet guys and glanced at a few screenshots and made a very foolish assumption. My interest is certainly increased.

Still want Jutland Fleet or whatever though. I just want more WW1 naval stuff in general thanks to RtW. :v:

They will have more than 1 sub, but no USSR subs playable.

I think they're doing 2 US subs for release, but they said they're making the game open to modding and are planning to support the game through DLC for a long time.

So it follows that more subs from different countries will make it in.

With modding, surface ships are a go. Just hope they do DLC just for surface warfare though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok, the golden question...

Nuclear Torpedoes?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok, the golden question...

Nuclear Torpedoes?

i dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Yooper posted:

Is there really no way to change the screen resolution or put it into windowed mode? I seem to be stuck in 1024X768 land.

i'm fairly certain you can change res bt don t remember how