Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Yes, that's exactly how it works!

fwiw NMM does this now too, since the dude who did MO pretty much ported it into NMM wholesale.

Also, Point The Way is a lovely mod. I don't think Arthmoor even checked to see if the signs were pointing down the path or directly at the destination as the crow flies. Every sign I've passed that was added by that mod is pointing at its destination with no regard to what is in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

no bones about it posted:

fwiw NMM does this now too, since the dude who did MO pretty much ported it into NMM wholesale.

Also, Point The Way is a lovely mod. I don't think Arthmoor even checked to see if the signs were pointing down the path or directly at the destination as the crow flies. Every sign I've passed that was added by that mod is pointing at its destination with no regard to what is in the way.

Knowing him, I imagine someone tried to tell him, and he went on a rant about the cartographical capabilities of northern European medieval era and how it's actually more historically accurate and thus lore-friendly for the signs to be off and faaaaaaaaaaaaart

Then closed the thread and banned the poster. The end.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm playing the new remastered version on Xbox one. It looks exactly the freaking same. The commercial where they show this outdoor scene that looks a million times better, yeah that's a lie. I can't believe they're charging $60 for this. Good thing this was just a buy one get one free Redbox rental.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

no bones about it posted:

Newrim is 64 bit, and so it allocates as much ram as it needs. Do you have any texture packs installed? If not, are you running the game on a spinny drive and if so is it defragmented?

Texture packs can really make your computer chug if you go over your vram limit on your card, because then it has to allocate system ram to video memory, and it is hundreds of times slower than on card memory.

I don't have that much, although some of it may not be optimized for SE. I am running on an old school HD. I do have an external one that's solid state. Should I move everything to it?

ApachiiSkyHair SSE
ApachiiSkyHair SSE (other hairstyles)
Ars Metallica - Smithing Enhancement - Ars Metallica - Smithing Enhancement
Bandolier - Bags and Pouches Classic - Bandolier Bags and Pouches Classic SE
Cloaks and Capes - Cloaks and Capes
Face Masks of Skyrim - Face Masks of Skyrim
Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS - FNIS Behavior SE V7_0 Beta
Immersive Laundry - Immersive Laundry 1.0b SSE
JK's Whiterun - JK's Whiterun - Open Cities V1.3 - SSE.
Mature Skin 2 UNP(B) (SE)
Mature Skin 2 VANILLA (SE)
Open Cities Skyrim - Open Cities Skyrim
Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim - Ordinator v808
Realistic Water Two
skyBirds SSE Edition - skyBirds SSE Edition
Static Mesh Improvement Mod
Torches Cast Shadows
Total Character Makeover - Total Character Makeover 1.2
UNP Female Body Renewal
Unread Books Glow SSE - Unread Books Glow SSE 2.2.1

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
LOOT for SSE is now on the Nexus. Praise Jesus.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Darth Brooks posted:

I don't have that much, although some of it may not be optimized for SE. I am running on an old school HD. I do have an external one that's solid state. Should I move everything to it?

ApachiiSkyHair SSE
ApachiiSkyHair SSE (other hairstyles)
Ars Metallica - Smithing Enhancement - Ars Metallica - Smithing Enhancement
Bandolier - Bags and Pouches Classic - Bandolier Bags and Pouches Classic SE
Cloaks and Capes - Cloaks and Capes
Face Masks of Skyrim - Face Masks of Skyrim
Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS - FNIS Behavior SE V7_0 Beta
Immersive Laundry - Immersive Laundry 1.0b SSE
JK's Whiterun - JK's Whiterun - Open Cities V1.3 - SSE.
Mature Skin 2 UNP(B) (SE)
Mature Skin 2 VANILLA (SE)
Open Cities Skyrim - Open Cities Skyrim
Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim - Ordinator v808
Realistic Water Two
skyBirds SSE Edition - skyBirds SSE Edition
Static Mesh Improvement Mod
Torches Cast Shadows
Total Character Makeover - Total Character Makeover 1.2
UNP Female Body Renewal
Unread Books Glow SSE - Unread Books Glow SSE 2.2.1

Nah thats fine, it can run on a spinny drive just fine, I did note that you have a couple texture mods. Like why are you running 3 different character texture packs that overwrite each other?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Not all of them are installed.

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015

dwarf74 posted:

LOOT for SSE is now on the Nexus. Praise Jesus.

Where do I upvote your post? Oh, this is not reddit...

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Mod Picker finally went into open beta. Apparently, you're supposed to have 160 "Reputation" in order to add mods to the system, but testing it it let me add Mazz's End with only a piddly 5 Rep. Guess they're waiving the requirements for a while to actually get content in.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Is there any way to fix the weird player physics? Like the sticky geometry (getting stuck and slowly sliding down a totally vertical surface is a bit odd, innit?) and having 100% air control, etc. Makes the game feel old like nothing else, I think.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Mod Picker finally went into open beta. Apparently, you're supposed to have 160 "Reputation" in order to add mods to the system,

Hahaha this is incredible.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What's a good mod to change my HUD? If like to make my HP/Stan/mana bars smaller and maybe pushed to one corner of the screen. I would also appreciate numbers on the bars.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Does this work with Reshade 3? The folder structure is way different, or I'm just dumb.

e: nm, I ended up just downloading and using this http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1089/

bunky fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 12, 2016

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Last time I played this was at launch and I've never played with mods really.

Halfway through I installed something that put three dolmens down and you could pick perks but I'll be hosed if I remember the mod's name or what exactly it added but it was quite neat.

I've seen some suggestions pass by in this thread but at this point I just want to play a game and not spend an hour trying out various mods and mod combos.
What are the definite to-gets (at this time) for making everything incredibly pretty and lush, and making combat a (lot) harder? I want to avoid a re-do of my first game where I was level 43, decked out to the nines in magical armor and one-smashing everything in the face with some ridiculous daedric mace.

To clarify, I still want magical armor and to smash people in the face, but maybe they could put up a bit of a fight. :v:
So far I'd like to try out open cities and its attendant mods, as well as the one that makes you freeze to death if you don't put on clothes, but some of the posts here have not been very glowing about the campfire mechanism.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

What's a good mod to change my HUD? If like to make my HP/Stan/mana bars smaller and maybe pushed to one corner of the screen. I would also appreciate numbers on the bars.

I'd love something more like Diablo's health orbs. SkyUI lets you bind stuff to the numbers but I wouldn't mind a proper fixed hotbar with spells and weapons.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I've been enjoying Wildcat combat, seems to make it a bit more tactical. Frostfall and Campfire are must haves for me. SkyUI 2.2 works with SSE. Open cities, and live another life.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Is Open Cities worth it? Any issues?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

What the gently caress :pwn: This is Skyrim Special Edition with Open Cities and JK's Whiterun. It wasn't doing this until I fast traveled back to Whiterun from the Lover's Stone.

The only other mods I have installed are Instant Mining, Ordinator (with More Perk Points), Better Bounties, Run For Your Lives, When Vampires Attack, and the Unofficial Skyrim SE Patch.

E: Restarting Skyrim fixed it. I hope this isn't a sign that my graphics card is dying, I haven't even had it for a year. :(

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 13, 2016

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Killsion posted:

Is Open Cities worth it? Any issues?
I'm loving it. It feels like how the game should have been in the first place.

You do have to fix vampire attacks, so keep that in mind. But it just feels great.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

ZZT the Fifth posted:

What the gently caress :pwn: This is Skyrim Special Edition with Open Cities and JK's Whiterun. It wasn't doing this until I fast traveled back to Whiterun from the Lover's Stone.

The only other mods I have installed are Instant Mining, Ordinator (with More Perk Points), Better Bounties, Run For Your Lives, When Vampires Attack, and the Unofficial Skyrim SE Patch.

E: Restarting Skyrim fixed it. I hope this isn't a sign that my graphics card is dying, I haven't even had it for a year. :(

I was having that exact thing happen. Restarting helped, but it would come back when I fast traveled back at some point. I made a bashed patch and it hasn't happened since though. :shrug:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dwarf74 posted:

I'm loving it. It feels like how the game should have been in the first place.

You do have to fix vampire attacks, so keep that in mind. But it just feels great.

if I come back to whiterun and it seems a little skimpy, population wise, is that because they've been vampired? any fix once it's happened?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

sebmojo posted:

if I come back to whiterun and it seems a little skimpy, population wise, is that because they've been vampired? any fix once it's happened?

Not necessarily. There's another disappearing NPC bug that doesn't kill anybody, just makes them go away for some amount of time. They'll come back eventually but it's weird. For instance, I had the whiterun armor shop guy disappear sometime near launch, assumed a vampire had killed him and shot his corpse through the ground or something and then a few days ago he was in his shop again.

I'm sure there are console commands to manually re-locate NPCs or test for death.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Decus posted:

I'm sure there are console commands to manually re-locate NPCs or test for death.

You can (probably) look up their prid number on the uesp wiki if vanilla or doing a 'help "character name" 4' console command, followed by 'prid prid id' and then a 'moveto player'. I think you can also do 'prid id.getav Health' to check if they are alive (a return value of non-zero).

If the npc is dead, I think you can get it back with the moveto command followed by 'recycleactor', still targeting the npc in the console.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Inepta Lacerta posted:

You can (probably) look up their prid number on the uesp wiki if vanilla or doing a 'help "character name" 4' console command, followed by 'prid prid id' and then a 'moveto player'. I think you can also do 'prid id.getav Health' to check if they are alive (a return value of non-zero).

If the npc is dead, I think you can get it back with the moveto command followed by 'recycleactor', still targeting the npc in the console.

cool, thanks.

tbh i'm likely not fond enough of the zombie-eyed bastards to do this but it's good to know.

How good is dragonborn, as compared to dawnguard? Any level recommendations?

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

sebmojo posted:

cool, thanks.

tbh i'm likely not fond enough of the zombie-eyed bastards to do this but it's good to know.

How good is dragonborn, as compared to dawnguard? Any level recommendations?

Hey, at least they're better than they were in oblivion (not a high bar to clear), though I always tend to install a prettier eye mod in any TES game, because bethesda and faces...

<insert image of the adoring fan here>

Also, Dragonborn is pretty good in that you get a little bit of that Morrowind magic in it what with the ashen landscape, a dunmer mushroom settlement and whatnot. Plus a fair bit of interaction with one of the less used Daedric princes.

Me, I'm currently playing through the fan-made dlc "Beyond reach" which is promising thus far, even if the voice acting is pretty spotty. Can also recommend Falskaar if you haven't played that yet, because that thing is solid.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Hey, at least they're better than they were in oblivion (not a high bar to clear), though I always tend to install a prettier eye mod in any TES game, because bethesda and faces...

<insert image of the adoring fan here>

Also, Dragonborn is pretty good in that you get a little bit of that Morrowind magic in it what with the ashen landscape, a dunmer mushroom settlement and whatnot. Plus a fair bit of interaction with one of the less used Daedric princes.

Me, I'm currently playing through the fan-made dlc "Beyond reach" which is promising thus far, even if the voice acting is pretty spotty. Can also recommend Falskaar if you haven't played that yet, because that thing is solid.

Thanks! The Forgotten City is very good, too.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Thanks! The Forgotten City is very good, too.

Yeah, I've heard that said - sadly it crashed pretty hard on me when I tried it last time (after entering the first area proper of the mod, using any exit except the one I came from resulted in a CTD). I imagine I have a mod conflict somewhere, and I'll have to sort it out in the future, because I'd like to play it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
e: removed a lot of posting, I think I have things under control now.

Since this post is here anyway, what would be some good mods to start with? I figure SkyUI and SPERG would be good to start with. I'd like having more interesting talents and ways to develop them, which afiak SPERG has covered. I'd also like a better assortment of weapons and armor so I figure I'll just try what looks interesting in the OP. Since my PC isn't super great I'm not going to mess with graphical stuff right now.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 13, 2016

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
That cursor is known alt-tab bug. At least in W7 I've avoided it somewhat successfully by "double-tabbing" back - open the taskbar window, and hit the cursor within that window next.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I just figured out that will usually fix it which is why I just got rid of the text wall. I messed around a bit and it seems to be running good, so now I can start trying out the modding. One thing weird though is I swear sometimes the game feels a little "janky" even though it runs around 60fps.

E: Also what are you guys opinions on controller vs keyboard? I played it originally on ps3 so I'm used to the controller but I'm sure I can get used to the keyboard and mouse if the game suits it better

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 13, 2016

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Bow and arrowing with a mouse is pretty good?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i was messing around in whiterun with open cities and I clicked on some random piece of ground near the entrance and it teleported me to non-open cities whiterun. it was weird.

also are there any mods that just like, add big hard gently caress you dungeons. Like the skyrim equivalent of a superboss

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Yeah, I just figured out that will usually fix it which is why I just got rid of the text wall. I messed around a bit and it seems to be running good, so now I can start trying out the modding. One thing weird though is I swear sometimes the game feels a little "janky" even though it runs around 60fps.
Google frametiming and see why "about 60" is not actually anywhere close to 60fps in terms of fluidity of motion. Without freesync/gsync "about 60" might as well be 30fps, since you're periodically getting "30 fps" frame update intervals.

Wildtortilla posted:

For OG Skyrim LessIntrusiveHUDii will let you scale, and rotate, various HUD elements. Default key to get the HUD unlocked is Enter on the Numberpad. On screen instructions from there. I am certain it requires SKSE so it isn't likely to be available on SSE any time soon, and anything else might be even more clumsy to edit.

Dunno about numbers on bars, but LessIntrusiveHUDii will let you switch the way the healthbar depletes so it drains from oneside to the other, rather than the nearly impossible to intuitively make sense of center orientation. Basically a requirement for ANY mods that end up making the gameplay more deadly.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 13, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

E: Also what are you guys opinions on controller vs keyboard? I played it originally on ps3 so I'm used to the controller but I'm sure I can get used to the keyboard and mouse if the game suits it better

I really like the controller but skyrim is dumb and shuts off the keyboard when you're using it, which is a pain.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
So I'm trying to get ASIS working on Oldrim for my next playthrough and even though I'm running the JAR through MO it keeps telling me I'm missing Skyrim.esm and Update.esm.

Does anyone know what's going on and/or how to fix it?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Using 32-bit java? because MO doesnt work with 64bit java.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Agents are GO! posted:

Using 32-bit java? because MO doesnt work with 64bit java.

I might only have the x64 version installed. I'll check that when I get back home and see if it works.

Burns
May 10, 2008

One of my ongoing complaints about Skyrim is how enemies can one-shot you from full health (finisher move). How can I change or mitigate this? I don't mind that they can, but honestly if I have full health it should happen.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Burns posted:

One of my ongoing complaints about Skyrim is how enemies can one-shot you from full health (finisher move). How can I change or mitigate this? I don't mind that they can, but honestly if I have full health it should happen.

VioLens has an option to make the player immune to killmoves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Here's a little immersion mod that may make it to the list of essentials.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3645/

Edit: For an actually essential mod

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3195/

Pastel map markers. Adds colour to all the map markers to make them distinct, and the colour pallet is very eye pleasing.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 14, 2016