Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
google autocomplete

"bernie sanders crying" no longer shows up, was at the bottom of the list

"bernie sanders 2020" is now #2 on the list, did not show up before

:getin:

elizabeth warren 2020 is also showing up now lol

(i know google autocomplete is not really indicative of anything)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

down right something awful if you ask me

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

"BASH THE FASH"

- Comrade Sanders :bern101:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Larry Parrish posted:

Basically, it inadvertently divides the proletariat into camps against perceived preferential treatment, when it should be replaced with a wider, class based philosophy seeking to advance everyone, equally.

whoa whoa whoa

are you saying....

no war but class war????????

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Princess Di posted:

I can keep reposting this ad infinitum.

My cold dead hands while locked in rigor mortis will continue to repost this same post on this same comedy forum until the DNC actually takes this seriously.

everyone deserves a job that can support a family
everyone deserves support to cast their vote

look, two easy to repeat talking points that are less about identity politics and more about the system being fair which people no matter their race can get behind

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

Basically, it inadvertently divides the proletariat into camps against perceived preferential treatment, when it should be replaced with a wider, class based philosophy seeking to advance everyone, equally.

Yes, I agree. It's one thing to say that certain types of people should be knocked down a peg, another thing to say we should all be lifted up. Bigotry is flaccid and harmless, like a wet fart, in a system where all races and classes are empowered. But if you settle for merely wiping out bigotry, as if that solves the problem, as was the centerpiece of the Clinton campaign strategy, you've really just taken antibiotics for a tooth abscess. You need to drill into the bone and clean out the pulp or the infection will come back and spread.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

venom snake get over there and knock some heads together

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bump_fn posted:

whoa whoa whoa

are you saying....

no war but class war????????

I know you're trying to burn me but I don't think it's a crazy idea that people would rather hear that things will be better for themselves, rather than these other people somewhere else in the Union

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Grognan posted:

Is there a way to frame this in idpol terms that won't cause the fury of a thousand suns?

Idpol discourse is designed to suppress any form of class based analysis, so you'd have to be of that circle to even have a clue how to torture the lingo. Fidel Castronaut: any suggestions?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Basically saying things like 'we need to improve conditions for Latinos', even in a place like California, immediately raises the question of 'why can't you help me too?' but in the current state of things, asking that question gets you called a racist, so you stay silent and let your anger simmer into true racism

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phobophilia posted:

venom snake get over there and knock some heads together

there all going to get thrown out anyway. I ain't touching those morons with a 20ft poll. also I would not be surprised if they all internally think it was their fault but are afraid to say it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Basically saying things like 'we need to improve conditions for Latinos', even in a place like California, immediately raises the question of 'why can't you help me too?' but in the current state of things, asking that question gets you called a racist, so you stay silent and let your anger simmer into true racism

Well that sort of thinking is thoroughly discredited now, so there's no reason to bite the tongue considering the alternative.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Idpol discourse is designed to suppress any form of class based analysis, so you'd have to be of that circle to even have a clue how to torture the lingo. Fidel Castronaut: any suggestions?

The term "class-privilege" needs to be something said a gently caress of a lot more often in social justice circles, especially on the campuses of private liberal arts colleges that are upset about sushi in the cafeteria, not because of the classism of having access to those things as an 18 year old but because the poor people who are making your sushi aren't actual Asians.

"White man" needs to quit being short-hand for "the most privileged person in all the world." I have SJ friends from undergrad who post pics on FB of the new car their dad bought them while railing against white men who drive beaters to part-time jobs.

I have a lot of faith, though. I would bring up class-privilege and the fact that I'm a high school dropout who was working minimum wage for a decade before I went to college and people seemed rather receptive to the message that poo poo is more complicated than the race, gender, sexuality triad. It also helps to point out that "race, gender, sexuality" leaves out nation of origin, ability, religion, and a whole bunch of other categories that inform the privilege that a person encounters. Once you point out that the triad privileges certain identities over others, then it seems like you can start pushing for class to be given more attention as its own identity/factor/issue.

I don't know if that's what you were going for when you conjured me from my crypt, but that is the sort of stuff I'm trying to work through within my SJ communities.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Larry Parrish posted:

I know you're trying to burn me but I don't think it's a crazy idea that people would rather hear that things will be better for themselves, rather than these other people somewhere else in the Union

i'm not, i'm literally agreeing with you. no war but class war is not a joke. it's how you convince people that a new democratic party cares about them, whatever their background, it the government has hosed them over.

listen to someone who felt left out this election, republican or democrat, and tell them that you care about their problems and want to make their lives better and make billionaire shitheads pay their fair share. it's free real estate the actual democratic party line

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

bump_fn posted:

i like theory crafting about 2020 as well but everyone should be way more concerned about positioning for 2018 midterms so the republicans cant just add amendments to the constitution

One thing I think might actually help with 2018 would be primary challenges from the left. Having primary fights to draw media attention to could energize the Dem base to actually vote in the miderms.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
wrong thread

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

VirtualStranger posted:

One thing I think might actually help with 2018 would be primary challenges from the left. Having primary fights to draw media attention to could energize the Dem base to actually vote in the miderms.

this si the only reason i'm ok with dean being a part of this, his 50 state strategy did give us 2006 (along with widespread bush hatred that arose shortly after his re-election). i feel like i want to go around to every despondent person and scream in their face jebwe can fix this

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
So what are the victorious 2020 progressive democrats going to do with a national debt of more than 30% gdp?

Infrastructure will happen and the republicans aren't gonna pay for it.

Gen Z is getting older, time to open credit cards in their name.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Also, most of my friends have been ranting about white feminism for years and a lot of my white feminist friends are starting to listen. I always describe it as "white professional-class feminism" to remind folks that there is a class element in it. Sheryl Sandberg, Poehler, Fey, Dunham, et al are not just white but also wealthy and promote capitalist ideology. I mean, Tina Fey is a spokesperson for American Express for Christ's sake. So, slipping class into the discourse is good to do.

Also, talk about bell hooks' work on class and race as much as possible because college feminists love them some bell hooks but they don't dig far enough into her stuff to read about how she actually does a lot of defending of poor white Appalachians. There's a collection of essays called White Trash that is very good and it includes an essay by bell hooks.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Also, most of my friends have been ranting about white feminism for years and a lot of my white feminist friends are starting to listen. I always describe it as "white professional-class feminism" to remind folks that there is a class element in it. Sheryl Sandberg, Poehler, Fey, Dunham, et al are not just white but also wealthy and promote capitalist ideology. I mean, Tina Fey is a spokesperson for American Express for Christ's sake. So, slipping class into the discourse is good to do.

Also, talk about bell hooks' work on class and race as much as possible because college feminists love them some bell hooks but they don't dig far enough into her stuff to read about how she actually does a lot of defending of poor white Appalachians. There's a collection of essays called White Trash that is very good and it includes an essay by bell hooks.

please just remember the rules of engagement: empathize with people you are listening to, do not poo poo on them, and explain how actual progressive plans can help everyone

also link to bell hooks cause that sounds like good poo poo

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Enten spitting truth suddenly:

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/797590844727554048

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

can't wait for the democratic party to be assassinated by hillary clinton's pride

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Certain celebs like Trevor Noah need to gently caress off.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

yassss queen :suicide:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Would the idea of "intersectionality" be a useful concept to push or has that gotten twisted by this point?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/797593081449058304

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Neeksy posted:

Would the idea of "intersectionality" be a useful concept to push or has that gotten twisted by this point?

"Intersectionality? what the gently caress does that mean? sounds like stupid ivory tower liberal garbage" - a poor working class person

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
DEMAHGOGERY

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Venom Snake posted:

DEMAHGOGERY

i get this joke *really deep sigh knowing the pain so many people are feeling right now*

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

he posted a correction, this was actually an email from the parliamentary labour party

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lol ppl still tweet "daddy" beneath bernie tweets

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
About Obama counties switching to Trump:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/796816420487254016

And all over time:

https://twitter.com/freakonometrics/status/797202921645490180

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
im a lil drunk and v angry so im just gonna post this: if ur armchair theorizing poo poo about politics please consider getting involved in any way possible to make this poo poo as least terrible

please

no seriously please it really matters get involved dont just tweet to your Facebook friends or however that poo poo works im old

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

bump_fn posted:

im a lil drunk and v angry so im just gonna post this: if ur armchair theorizing poo poo about politics please consider getting involved in any way possible to make this poo poo as least terrible

please

no seriously please it really matters get involved dont just tweet to your Facebook friends or however that poo poo works im old

Go to the local Democratic Party organization office or their next meeting and make your voice heard. That's as good a start as anything else.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bump_fn posted:

please

i called all my dem reps and the dnc v:shobon:v

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Neeksy posted:

It needs to be pushed in the sense that the economic problems that convinced people Trump was worth a shot don't just effect poor whites and that we can spread a message that will appeal to both them and the minority voters who need protection and elevation.

But the Tumblr Feminist thinkpiece fart-huffing type of "intersectionality" needs to be taken out back and buried.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

anime was right posted:

i called all my dem reps and the dnc v:shobon:v

Well What Now posted:

Go to the local Democratic Party organization office or their next meeting and make your voice heard. That's as good a start as anything else.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

When viewing the history one that goes from the 1800s to today please remember that the Republican Party was actually once the more liberal and progressive party. I'm not exactly sure when it started to shift but the poles had definitely majorly realigned pre-FDR. But I do know shift was finished around LBJ's time when all the anti-civil rights Democrats fled to the Republican Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Well What Now posted:

It needs to be pushed in the sense that the economic problems that convinced people Trump was worth a shot don't just effect poor whites and that we can spread a message that will appeal to both them and the minority voters who need protection and elevation.

But the Tumblr Feminist thinkpiece fart-huffing type of "intersectionality" needs to be taken out back and buried.

What I'm worried about is that it's not going to matter. Republicans will just dig out out-of-context quotes from tumblr feminists or whatever and they're going to pretend this is the actual face of feminism, and the media isn't going to care that this isn't how it works. The right has classically been much better at loving with media impressions and the media has, like the democratic establishment, rolled over and deepthroated them. Remember "death taxes" anyone? Or "death panels?" The media needs to be taken to account at some point as well or they're just going to misrepresent any attempts to reach out.

And we might still get through to enough of them but it'd be better if we didn't have to? Podesta isn't wrong that a less awful news media would probably have allowed Clinton to win. That's not to say he's blameless, or he should be listened to, or that he did a good job. But I think simply rejecting everything the establishment says as basically an excuse doesn't change that an excuse can be entirely correct and insightful and still an excuse.

• Locked thread