Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

facebook is garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

ugh

like gently caress dude, proper representation would be better than fptp for the liberals!

they won 54% of the seats with 39% of the vote

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

they won 54% of the seats with 39% of the vote

Pennsylvania voters are ~54% registered democrats. The state house is 66% republican. They gerrymandered the hell out of this state.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/capitolinq/PA-illustrates-Obama-call-gerrymandering.html

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

Pennsylvania voters are ~54% registered democrats. The state house is 66% republican. They gerrymandered the hell out of this state.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/capitolinq/PA-illustrates-Obama-call-gerrymandering.html

yeah canada has the advantage that our district lines are drawn by panels of judges and political scientists and don't have partisan interference so you get nice, soothing, sensical and geographically and demographically sensible lines like

Apr 7, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

yeah canada has the advantage that our district lines are drawn by panels of judges and political scientists and don't have partisan interference so you get nice, soothing, sensical and geographically and demographically sensible lines like

Jesus, Trump is such a maniac that he even got a valley in Canada named after him.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

Jesus, Trump is such a maniac that he even got a valley in Canada named after him.

the Don Valley is named after Don Cherry, dumbass.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

welcome to hell

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

the Don Valley is named after Don Cherry, dumbass.

Now that would be an amazing prime minister of canada

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Venuz Patrol posted:

welcome to hell

lol the fl 5th district there has had some interesting legal challenges. the state was sued over it with the argument that it was designed to be favorable to republicans by putting large black areas into a single district. the black democratic caucus then complained that changing it would disenfranchise black voters and complained about the party's support for the lawsuit and is claiming they'll take it to the scotus. the head of the redistricting committee, a republican is just like "heh heh yeah"

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Sagebrush posted:

This is the same Facebook that literally ran studies to see if they could change people's emotional state by presenting them with different news stories, right

The effect size on that study was laughable, something like d=0.001 where 0.2 is conventionally considered small. The paper said it could influence things on scale but it reads like facebook facesaving.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Terrible Opinions posted:

America would not have elected a woman. Period.

if you think for a second you'll realize that this isn't a very good argument that bernie was electable despite being jewish

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm not saying that both are the same because between the two options the second one is vastly more fair than the first, but neither are objectively fair in any meaningful way and both parties are having to deal with their base not being happy about it.

except one of those parties is ideologically committed to that policy while the other is largely willing to go much further but couldn't even pass the shittiest most market driven version of universal healthcare without apocalyptic pushback from the right. and many dems are pussies stuck in that 80s and 90s era centrist survival mode. but my whole point is that the "gently caress the poor" party just got hijacked by a guy who explicitly campaigned on strong government intervention to improve the lives of the working class. maybe, just maybe, there is growing room for stronger social welfare programs across the country. the real problem is finding a way to sell it to blue collar whites without a coating of racism and xenophobia implicitly signaling "its ok, this isn't welfare for those people"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
hah gently caress zuckerberg what a coward poo poo pfft

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the liberals current plan is to send out a "household survey" about electoral reform. i'm hoping they don't go to referendum and i'm hoping they leave status quo off of that survey. it is a good opportunity to average morons like us yospossers to actually make a difference and educate your friends and family and poo poo.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

uncurable mlady posted:

must be some real stupid people that advertise on facebook if it can't influence behavior

Subjunctive posted:

Web browser developers and mobile OS makers have a lot to answer for here, since they didn't do anything to stem the spread of misleading content. To say nothing of ISPs and cable providers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

honest to god any given isp's portal does a better job of having non-misleading news stories

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
misleading? I've seen literal hoaxes, and I'm talking daily sport level absurdities like photos of big chunks of chemical foam titled "clouds are falling"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
even if you don't think facebook had an impact in the election (which is completely and utterly insane) you'd think he have something to say about completely fake news stories from fake news sites gaming facebook and getting a billion shares. but it's just like twitter and harassers, if they get rid of it their engagement and user numbers take a nosedive

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

fishmech posted:

but anyway, he still lost by over 3 million votes in the primary

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes i'm sure dnc favoritism changed three million votes

a ten point spread
This is very misleading because "primary votes" only counts states that vote in primaries, and Sanders' support was mostly from states that don't vote in primaries -- they have caucuses instead. This is before you even consider things like depressed turnout among late primary states.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

caucuses are loving terrible

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

triple sulk posted:

caucuses are loving terrible

cock-asses

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
washington state had both a caucus and a vote for its primary. sanders won the caucus, clinton took the vote by 8 points

Apr 7, 2003

Hello.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Citizen Tayne posted:

Reckless driving is never okay.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Venuz Patrol posted:

washington state had both a caucus and a vote for its primary. sanders won the caucus, clinton took the vote by 8 points

the primary does not count at all, and lots of caucus attendees didn't bother with submitting a primary vote. I didn't and neither did any of my friends.

Apr 7, 2003

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/do-you-live-in-a-bubble-a-quiz-2/

Take this and post your score.

I got a 51.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Great loving job ADA/Mook

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

11–80: A first-generation upper-middle-class person with middle-class parents. Typical: 33.

0–43: A second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot. Typical: 9.

I'm a political aberration in the family I left behind.

fart

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Great loving job ADA/Mook

does this mean sanders would have lost ohio and florida and virginia and north carolina and pennsylvania and lost the election

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

61 but being canadian i fudged some answers

Apr 7, 2003

Gonna grill these fuckers tomorrow

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i got a 32, and the description is pretty accurate for my situation. dad was a doctor but before that he was a river guide in rural pennsylvania. i was in the boy scouts and did a lot of traditional rural things. i have been to branson, missouri

the most surprising thing to me is that my tastes in TV are apparently suuuuuuuuper elitist cause i had never even heard of most of those TV shows (i'd seen almost all the movies tho)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

27 what up :cool:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
60 hell mother loving yeah :911:

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i got a 32, and the description is pretty accurate for my situation. dad was a doctor but before that he was a river guide in rural pennsylvania. i was in the boy scouts and did a lot of traditional rural things. i have been to branson, missouri

the most surprising thing to me is that my tastes in TV are apparently suuuuuuuuper elitist cause i had never even heard of most of those TV shows (i'd seen almost all the movies tho)

I would have been way, way way higher but I didn't see a single one of those movies or television shows. Not a one.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

This thing is amazing. I take it if I start watching Dr. Phil now that doesn't actually take me out of my bubble, it has to be unconscious or something.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Apr 7, 2003

I see maybe one movie a year and the only TV I watch is How It's Made, PBS, and sports, so that makes me a mega-elitist I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

middle class is such a terrible faux notion

• Locked thread