Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

bump_fn posted:

im a lil drunk and v angry so im just gonna post this: if ur armchair theorizing poo poo about politics please consider getting involved in any way possible to make this poo poo as least terrible

please

no seriously please it really matters get involved dont just tweet to your Facebook friends or however that poo poo works im old

I've signed petitions and am gonna start making phone calls on monday and I'm gonna go to what meetings I can but I sure as poo poo hope good stuff happens, if it looks like the clintonites refuse to acknowledge their failings and don't cede control to a progressive group then idk, let the DNC die off and make a new party I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
and don't get me wrong. there are terrified people who have been openly threatened by this incoming administration, if you can help in any way (volunteer, etc) to places like aclu, kind, immigration law center, etc do that as well. i don't know your situation but ir you're reading this dead gay forum you probably want to help so help as much as you can in any way you can.

but, having talked to some friends after this election, the most important thing i can say is dont just tweet poo poo, get out in the real loving world and help people.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

SpaceGoku posted:

I've signed petitions and am gonna start making phone calls on monday and I'm gonna go to what meetings I can but I sure as poo poo hope good stuff happens, if it looks like the clintonites refuse to acknowledge their failings and don't cede control to a progressive group then idk, let the DNC die off and make a new party I guess?

go to meetings. ask for meetings with local offices. the DNC has too much architecture to waste it burning down

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BceHGzsDVLY

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

MJ12 posted:

What I'm worried about is that it's not going to matter. Republicans will just dig out out-of-context quotes from tumblr feminists or whatever and they're going to pretend this is the actual face of feminism, and the media isn't going to care that this isn't how it works. The right has classically been much better at loving with media impressions and the media has, like the democratic establishment, rolled over and deepthroated them. Remember "death taxes" anyone? Or "death panels?" The media needs to be taken to account at some point as well or they're just going to misrepresent any attempts to reach out.

And we might still get through to enough of them but it'd be better if we didn't have to? Podesta isn't wrong that a less awful news media would probably have allowed Clinton to win. That's not to say he's blameless, or he should be listened to, or that he did a good job. But I think simply rejecting everything the establishment says as basically an excuse doesn't change that an excuse can be entirely correct and insightful and still an excuse.

Fine. Worry about it. I worry about that poo poo too, but it isn't going to keep me from standing up and trying to stop it.

I'm not going to admit I'm hosed until the dick actually goes in.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Nonsense posted:

People also keep pointing out the stupidity of THE RABBLE voters, but they voted in income inequality measures, cannabis legalization and voted for a Dem governor in WV despite voting for Trump. Nuts.

The Democrats also gained seats in both the Senate and the House despite losing the Presidency, even though the party that wins the Presidency normally also makes net gains in Congress. The most obvious reading is that this election wasn't a repudiation of the Democrats but of the political status quo, as represented personally by Clinton and more generally by the Congressional Republicans who very deliberately accomplished nothing over the past six years.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
lmao hillery blaming comey. she has no self-awareness.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
if you talk to anyone about this and they don't acknowledge the dem gov of WV then ...... idk man...

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fidel Castronaut posted:

The term "class-privilege" needs to be something said a gently caress of a lot more often in social justice circles, especially on the campuses of private liberal arts colleges that are upset about sushi in the cafeteria, not because of the classism of having access to those things as an 18 year old but because the poor people who are making your sushi aren't actual Asians.

"White man" needs to quit being short-hand for "the most privileged person in all the world." I have SJ friends from undergrad who post pics on FB of the new car their dad bought them while railing against white men who drive beaters to part-time jobs.

I have a lot of faith, though. I would bring up class-privilege and the fact that I'm a high school dropout who was working minimum wage for a decade before I went to college and people seemed rather receptive to the message that poo poo is more complicated than the race, gender, sexuality triad. It also helps to point out that "race, gender, sexuality" leaves out nation of origin, ability, religion, and a whole bunch of other categories that inform the privilege that a person encounters. Once you point out that the triad privileges certain identities over others, then it seems like you can start pushing for class to be given more attention as its own identity/factor/issue.

I don't know if that's what you were going for when you conjured me from my crypt, but that is the sort of stuff I'm trying to work through within my SJ communities.

No, this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

I studied history in college, so I got a headful of what the worst in race, sex, nationality privileges actually looked like. So Idpol stuff was like an alien language to me. I think young people are especially vulnerable to that kind of rhetoric because those are the issues which most directly affect their lived experiences so - while they're still important, they also don't fear the need for healthcare, or (usually) don't have kids to raise. The tangible threat of material danger doesn't occur to them.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

"Intersectionality? what the gently caress does that mean? sounds like stupid ivory tower liberal garbage" - a poor working class person

This is a good point.

No matter what idea you want to bring to the voters, you have to communicate it in a way where they understand what it means to them. It doesn't necessarily have to benefit them, but you can't throw out a bunch of jargon and expect them to care, because jargon just starts to sound like obfuscation.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

SpaceGoku posted:

I've signed petitions

:catstare: Petitions ain't worth poo poo!

quote:

and am gonna start making phone calls on monday and I'm gonna go to what meetings I can but I sure as poo poo hope good stuff happens, if it looks like the clintonites refuse to acknowledge their failings and don't cede control to a progressive group then idk, let the DNC die off and make a new party I guess?

I cannot find Zikan's huge post about making Keith Ellison happen, can someone please quote that?

If you really wanna help the progressive take over of the DNC make Keith Ellison happen and get out and vote for Democrats in EVERY election. The reason Republicans were able to get this stranglehold is because liberals can't be hosed to vote in local and state elections. We gotta change that.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

NumberLast posted:

This is a good point.

No matter what idea you want to bring to the voters, you have to communicate it in a way where they understand what it means to them. It doesn't necessarily have to benefit them, but you can't throw out a bunch of jargon and expect them to care, because jargon just starts to sound like obfuscation.

hey heres a good response to their complaints:

rich people who the government has helped instead of you, refuse to pay fair taxes. you know what fair means, right? o fciourse you do. those are your enemy

oh what , you heard republicans cared about you? show me a single shred of evidence that they have helped you in the past 30+ years.

exactly. they don't care about you but the progressive democrats do.

its that easy

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i've said before i don't mind complaining about comey because i think denormalising trump and getting angry are good strategy and 'the election was hosed with' is a good angle for those, but if it's the end of her private analysis of loss then lol i hope venom snake is right

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

bump_fn posted:

if you talk to anyone about this and they don't acknowledge the dem gov of WV then ...... idk man...

WV is the strongest union state in the nation

WV recently had a right to work law passed in the state house and it immediately got struck down in courts because it's counter to everything West Virginia stands for

I also talked to some ppl back home about the right to work law and they couldn't wrap their heads around why someone wouldn't unionize at a blue collar job lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jenner posted:

:catstare: Petitions ain't worth poo poo!

I cannot find Zikan's huge post about making Keith Ellison happen, can someone please quote that?

If you really wanna help the progressive take over of the DNC make Keith Ellison happen and get out and vote for Democrats in EVERY election. The reason Republicans were able to get this stranglehold is because liberals can't be hosed to vote in local and state elections. We gotta change that.

http://www.glyphgryph.com/index.html

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Jenner posted:

I linked crime statistics to Trumpeters and they just told me to get hosed. They didn't seem to be interested in facts. Sad!

It is so much cheaper and much less illegal to just mandate a fair wage for ALL workers (thus removing the benefit of hiring illegal immigrants) than building a loving Wall and deporting them all.

Also a fair wage mandate will actually help the working class. Wow!

NO! Keith Ellison only! Sharia law now!

gently caress you! You are all the loving worst! Aaaah!

Can we bring back tar and feathering?

I still like you.

I hope you don't mind if I periodically empty quote you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bump_fn posted:

im a lil drunk and v angry so im just gonna post this: if ur armchair theorizing poo poo about politics please consider getting involved in any way possible to make this poo poo as least terrible

please

no seriously please it really matters get involved dont just tweet to your Facebook friends or however that poo poo works im old

aren't you from minneapolis? there'd be a major problem if your congressman didn't want keith ellison to be dnc chairperson

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Smoking Crow posted:

WV is the strongest union state in the nation

WV recently had a right to work law passed in the state house and it immediately got struck down in courts because it's counter to everything West Virginia stands for

I also talked to some ppl back home about the right to work law and they couldn't wrap their heads around why someone wouldn't unionize at a blue collar job lol

quoting this to say : point out classism (dont call ir racism or they wont listen) in peoples opinions of WV when you talk to them

but also please talk to people.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There are two lines from that that I forgot but seem applicable.

Otto: Let him go, he knows what he's doing.
Homer: Not to self. Stop doing anything.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

hobbesmaster posted:

aren't you from minneapolis? there'd be a major problem if your congressman didn't want keith ellison to be dnc chairperson

no

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sorry, updating yosposters.ods

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you have a link or guide that you want in the OP post it.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

'white trash' is a term of class abuse and shall be burned in the sanctimoniousfied flames of idpol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

hobbesmaster posted:

text me sexy boy

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Peel posted:

'white trash' is a term of class abuse and shall be burned in the sanctimoniousfied flames of idpol

im an extremely priveledger person but i have talked to enoguh people to be able to say: THIS loving THIS
don't other people that would be on board with your plans jesus christ

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Well What Now posted:

Fine. Worry about it. I worry about that poo poo too, but it isn't going to keep me from standing up and trying to stop it.

I'm not going to admit I'm hosed until the dick actually goes in.

I like that attitude and I think you've misread me. What I mean is that if one of your pillars is "well tumblr feminists should just shut up" you need to consider that Podesta isn't wrong that the news media of the last two decades has basically been:

*present fringe opinion that nobody actually believes as thing*

*allows right-wing pundit to say 'yep, this is what the left actually believes*

*smiles and nods and goes 'does this represent all of the left, or just most of the left? YOU DECIDE'*

So I was thinking that there might be the possibility that this poo poo would backfire because it'd discourage part of the base while not actually improving the image. That said I guess tumblr feminists probably don't vote anyways so maybe the argument should be "if you actually care about women's/LGBT/minority rights shut the gently caress up and vote."

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

bump_fn posted:

I once talked to a Republican and we agreed on guns and had a really good conversation about criminal justice reform where we agreed quite a bit.

Am... am I a bad Democrat?
:ohdear:

Princess Di posted:

I still like you.

I hope you don't mind if I periodically empty quote you.

:blush:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

bump_fn posted:

quoting this to say : point out classism (dont call ir racism or they wont listen) in peoples opinions of WV when you talk to them

It's harder to talk about West Virginia to people up north here than to people back home

When I say poo poo's hosed to the ppl at home, they immediately understand, since they were the people who gave Bernie a landslide victory. Up here in big city ohio, they only know West Virginia as cousin loving and racism. Apparently you guys don't learn about the role of unions in American politics in high school like we do

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

hobbesmaster posted:

i can only be found in yosposters.123

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i normally thump a tub about race itt but i have definitely seen some nauseating poo poo from Sensible Liberals Who Are Definitely Good And Smart Look At This Graph I Have talking about poor white people and it's surreal how they manage to finish their thoughts without realising what they're doing. it's the same creepy feeling you get when pleasant europeans suddenly become klansmen when discussing roma

it's not racist (poor whites, not roma), but because it's not racist the filters they're used to applying to what they say don't apply

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Peel posted:

i normally thump a tub about race itt but i have definitely seen some nauseating poo poo from Sensible Liberals Who Are Definitely Good And Smart Look At This Graph I Have talking about poor white people and it's surreal how they manage to finish their thoughts without realising what they're doing. it's the same creepy feeling you get when pleasant europeans suddenly become klansmen when discussing roma

it's not racist (poor whites, not roma), but because it's not racist the filters they're used to applying to what they say don't apply

excuse me have you signed this petition to the electoral collage to derelict their duties

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

bump_fn posted:

please just remember the rules of engagement: empathize with people you are listening to, do not poo poo on them, and explain how actual progressive plans can help everyone

also link to bell hooks cause that sounds like good poo poo

Empathy is going to be really important going forward. But, like I've said, that work is on us with the privilege because I can't ask somebody who has stopped wearing their hijab in response to threats to exercise their empathy right now. I'm a white cisgendered het man from Kentucky. I can speak to my people with empathy and I must.

Here is the book on Amazon, White Trash: Race and Class in America I was wrong, there isn't a bell hooks essay in there, though she is mentioned often. I will try to track down the essay about white poverty that I'm misremembering as being in this collection.

Neeksy posted:

Would the idea of "intersectionality" be a useful concept to push or has that gotten twisted by this point?

I try to use it when talking to working-class white folks. I tell them that my experience of poverty is different from a black person's experience of poverty but always make it clear that you aren't erasing their poverty and use first-person when possible. So, I say that I would wait with black folks in the urgent care center, so we're both experiencing the troubles of having no insurance and having to wait until things were really bad before we sought medical care, but if we needed pain management, that studies show that docs are much more trusting that white patients are legitimately reporting their pain needs than black patients. I couldn't afford to pay my fine for driving when I had no driver's license but the cop let me go that night with my friend driving the car instead of me. Wouldn't happen if I were black.

So, I think there are ways to talk about intersectionality in a generative way that acknowledges that poo poo is still really loving bad for poor white folks.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Gringostar posted:

everyone deserves a job that can support a family
everyone deserves support to cast their vote

look, two easy to repeat talking points that are less about identity politics and more about the system being fair which people no matter their race can get behind

You are not concerned about identity politics because it's not your identity that's maligned to the point that even global systemic benefit may still not be enough to benefit your people at all.

I can't believe that people keep repeating what is a Breitbart sourced legit racist dog whistle to dismiss social concerns.

If people don't want to see where racism intersected with the loss of this election, and if no one wants to accept that voter antipathy was also antipathy about racism and that voter suppression delivered a lot of needed votes into the dust, then the coalition will only shrink as minorities leave the cause due to becoming convinced that it doesn't care about them.

If you want to trade in the minority vote for the rust belt vote cause hey those problems aren't mine anyway, then there will be a new invisible voting bloc in the leftist electorate. Good luck getting back the government at that point.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Smoking Crow posted:

It's harder to talk about West Virginia to people up north here than to people back home

When I say poo poo's hosed to the ppl at home, they immediately understand, since they were the people who gave Bernie a landslide victory. Up here in big city ohio, they only know West Virginia as cousin loving and racism. Apparently you guys don't learn about the role of unions in American politics in high school like we do

I grew up in coastal city la la land stronghold of liberal Democrats and we definitely do not learn about organized labor at all.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Peel posted:

OMG yes

A british guy called me racist for being american and then said all the travellers should be deported

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Racism is when you apply base assumptions,
especially negative behavioral ones, based on something as retarded as melanin content or eye shape or what have you

So I don't know where this idea that you can't be racist to whites simply because the bourgeoise is disproportionally white comes from.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Justin Tyme posted:

"Intersectionality? what the gently caress does that mean? sounds like stupid ivory tower liberal garbage" - a poor working class person

You're right. I think the best way to talk about these things is to strip away the academicese and just talk to them about these things in ordinary speech. Which is part of why I think this election is a death sentence for academia because we find it really hard to stop trying to impress people with our vocabularies and esoterica. Theory without consideration to practice is dead.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I don't know about this Bernie 2020 talk. I love Bernie and all, but he's going to be so old. He was already old in 2016. Turns out, in 2020, he may be even older.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i think if people are going to rail against 'identity politics' they're going to need to specify what they mean and how it played into the last few years of big-d Democratic politics, because the complaint could be anything from astute to asinine

like i'm legitimately not sure how 'identity politics' is distinguished from general anti-X-ist politics and i suspect there's several different answers i could get in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

NumberLast posted:

I grew up in coastal city la la land stronghold of liberal Democrats and we definitely do not learn about organized labor at all.

GOOGLE MATEWAN

GOOGLE BLAIR MOUNTAIN

• Locked thread