Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

G.C. Furr III posted:

dems comparing poo poo to hogwarts is like retarded as hell but heres my take on what should be the actual comparCLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING

#woke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

you know, I've never ready Harry Potter, seen the Hunger Games (The Running Man was good enough for me) and I don't actually know what Hamilton is, and I still held my nose and voted for Hillary, for what good it did (not a drat bit it turned out)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Powercrazy posted:

I consider people feeling safe around me "normal" without need to broadcast it. I wonder why others have that pathological need to signal their tolerance?

The only Twitter tolerance person I met IRL used to literally spit on day workers when she drove past them

So probably because they're racist as hell but want to appear hip and tolerant, IMO. Just the act of thinking I'm gonna run to some white Twitter liberal with my problems makes me sick

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

FuturePastNow posted:

you know, I've never ready Harry Potter, seen the Hunger Games (The Running Man was good enough for me) and I don't actually know what Hamilton is, and I still held my nose and voted for Hillary, for what good it did (not a drat bit it turned out)

Hamilton is a hip hop musical that costs about $1200 per ticket. Apparently everybody's talking about it even though nobody outside of a small group of media and beltway elites has evee seen it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

lmfao

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Yessssss

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Hamilton is a hip hop musical that costs about $1200 per ticket. Apparently everybody's talking about it even though nobody outside of a small group of media and beltway elites has evee seen it

#woke #class #struggle

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Has John Oliver said anything about the election since his ridiculously embarrassing Drumpf sign thing?

His episode is tomorrow and it will be the first episode I've watched in like 5 months

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Dapper_Swindler posted:

make a wish foundation is pretty great, i used it when i was younger, went to Lucas ranch and saw the vaults and then lucas arts when it was still cool and alive and got a ton of games. seriously everyone should donate to make a wish. ill dig up some pics of the trip. it was like 11 years ago.

congrats on not dying!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I want to smack every single person who writes an article titled "Why _______________ matters more/is more important than ever"

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Unless the blank is "good pipe maintenance" and the article is about rec weed

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Don't forget energy-efficient windows, matters a lot more in the colder months!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Have we already forgotten about flossing?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Medivh is a far better evil traitor wizard. I mean, guy opened the flood gates for a wave of orcs, that's way more Trump.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

KiteAuraan posted:

Medivh is a far better evil traitor wizard. I mean, guy opened the flood gates for a wave of orcs, that's way more Trump.

also banged his daughter through a series of retcons so it works out really well

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Powercrazy posted:

I consider people feeling safe around me "normal" without need to broadcast it. I wonder why others have that pathological need to signal their tolerance?

because it makes them look like good people and ill be even more cynical and say some of them do it to get laid.

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

i am one of those weird people who still doesnt hate or masturbate over the founding father(like some of them, indifferent or dont like others(gently caress jefferson)) but why would you was a grand to go see some musical that you can buy the soundtrack for like 15 bucks.

I am mixed with hamilton, alot of peoples stuff is legit,(i have always been more of a john adams person) but poo poo like this, https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/722877349063045120 always makes me laugh

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

it's conspicuous consumption but all you get are selfies of yourself in your seat instead of a neat car or cool jacket so it somehow manages to be even more pointless

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I want to smack every single person who writes an article titled "Why _______________ matters more/is more important than ever"

Why my unique victim status matters more then ever...(it's because I am totally replaceable).

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hamilton is a good modern musical that has been jerked off so many times it can only get it up by lin manuel miranda personally leading a rebellion of millennials whose worst financial hardship in life was their meal plan running out

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
yeah, hamilton as a musical is... fine. if you're the kind of person who hates musicals it won't change your mind, but if you like sorta cheesy musicals you will enjoy it. that's why the 5867392 articles explaining why it's the Most Important And Revolutionary Thing Of Our Times come across as so performative and cringeworthy. cuz it's just... fine.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
What can Starlight Express and Cats tell us about the Trump presidency???

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

KiteAuraan posted:

ya but he became good in Warcraft 3. who in Warcraft be Hillary and sanders?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Cyron posted:

ya but he became good in Warcraft 3. who in Warcraft be Hillary and sanders?

Sanders is Thrall, good ideas but he fucks up execution and then sort of just drops the ball. Hillary is Slyvanas Windrunner. Take that as you will.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

KiteAuraan posted:

I have never played warcraft so i wouldnt know. most of the GOP are just andrew ryan but religious(or know how to fake it) and no vision or balls. I guess i just don't get why trump/GOP are always compared to Voldemort. i assume its because he is popular and because he has the whole blood purity bullshit and the self harming narcissism and vanity. but other then that it feels like an autistic version of godwins law.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am mixed with hamilton, alot of peoples stuff is legit,(i have always been more of a john adams person) but poo poo like this, https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/722877349063045120 always makes me laugh
honestly don't know if either you or that tweet are serious, but I un-ironically agree he did the dumbest motherfucking thing, even by early 19th century standards:

- father to five children under 10 and an adult daughter who recently suffered a breakdown
- family finances precarious and dependent on his earnings
- oldest son died fighting pointless duel over honor, devastating family
- dueling considered by contemporaries to be semi-immoral practice of young hotbloods decades younger, banned throughout the state

well, better go fight this pointless duel with the Vice-President where i'm fully aware i might die, because honor!

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Rick Scott is Voldemort, anyway

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Apraxin posted:

honestly don't know if either you or that tweet are serious, but I un-ironically agree he did the dumbest motherfucking thing, even by early 19th century standards:

- father to five children under 10 and an adult daughter who recently suffered a breakdown
- dueling considered by contemporaries to be semi-immoral practice of young hotbloods decades younger, banned throughout the state

well, better go fight this pointless duel with the Vice-President where i'm fully aware i might die, because honor!

On the other hand, consider that if dueling came back into style we would have more dead liberals

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Apraxin posted:

I thought duels weren't even usually to the death at that point and most people just aimed for trees behind them or something.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Dapper_Swindler posted:

from what i can tell, it means that minorities/oppressed/all that are safe with you and have nothing to fear. the concept is nice but some people have taken it to retarded levels.

it sounds retarded

the star wars memology is also loving stupid as hell

and so are the harry potter references

none of it makes any sense

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Here's something that makes perfect sense

https://twitter.com/yokoono/status/797187458505080834

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Top City Homo posted:

none of it makes any sense
I think i'm more sympathetic to this stuff than most of c-spam, but my uninformed 2 cents:

- if you're in your mid-twenties or younger you likely came of political age when obama was president, the most visible political figures in the US were democrats, LGBTQ rights became mainstream, progress was being made etc etc
- so it seemed that social progress was on a continuously upward arc and things are just gonna keep getting better, especially if you're at least middle class, or not politically involved, or shielded from dissenting voices, or some combination
- and now the USA is gonna elect the first female president, who is cool and poised and dignified and knows memes, repudiating the loud, toxic bigotry of her opponent
- surprise it's President Trump!
- you don't have real-life experience in common with your peers that compares with a shock of this magnitude, so when you reach out to express how upset you are and seek comfort you use a familiar cultural touchstone instead

No idea why people who seem to be 40 or older are doing the same thing tho.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Apraxin posted:

I think i'm more sympathetic to this stuff than most of c-spam, but my uninformed 2 cents:

- if you're in your mid-twenties or younger you likely came of political age when obama was president, the most visible political figures in the US were democrats, LGBTQ rights became mainstream, progress was being made etc etc
- so it seemed that social progress was on a continuously upward arc and things are just gonna keep getting better, especially if you're at least middle class, or not politically involved, or shielded from dissenting voices, or some combination
- and now the USA is gonna elect the first female president, who is cool and poised and dignified and knows memes, repudiating the loud, toxic bigotry of her opponent
- surprise it's President Trump!
- you don't have real-life experience in common with your peers that compares with a shock of this magnitude, so when you reach out to express how upset you are and seek comfort you use a familiar cultural touchstone instead

No idea why people who seem to be 40 or older are doing the same thing tho.

If you're in your mid twenties (I am) you should remember 9/11 and The Bush Years and be able to use those.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When Bush left office I immediately forgot about his existence lol

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

make a wish foundation is pretty great, i used it when i was younger, went to Lucas ranch and saw the vaults and then lucas arts when it was still cool and alive and got a ton of games. seriously everyone should donate to make a wish. ill dig up some pics of the trip. it was like 11 years ago.

Why aren't you dead yet?

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Powercrazy posted:

maybe it's because half the country think you are literally racist/sexist/homophobic if you look like a cis white male (even if you really aren't)

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

an autistic version of godwins law.

ding ding ding

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

KiteAuraan posted:

If you're in your mid twenties (I am) you should remember 9/11 and The Bush Years and be able to use those.

I also feel like there're a load of Englanders (who remember bush as some kind of abstract joke about monkeys) also posting masses of 'oh no trump is a villain from media I like' poo poo, with the amount of coverage over here you'd think trump was our president now too.

JK Rowling's Twitter post about bats has never been more important...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I thought Rowling wrote Voldemort as an allegory for Jeremy Corbyn.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

steinrokkan posted:

I thought Rowling wrote Voldemort as an allegory for Jeremy Corbyn.

she got really annoyed when people were comparing dumbledore to corbyn, fans will desperately draw connections between all their favourite/hated characters and all real world favourite/hated people. they can't make sense of it otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

His episode is tomorrow and it will be the first episode I've watched in like 5 months

Why? Every episode of his show is the same. Point out bad thing, slightly humorous simile, crowd cheers, mug at camera.