Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why the gently caress did Fox Southwest get rid of Steve Busby as the Rangers play-by-play? He'd gotten really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
N: Twitter Rumor - The @tigers could also be sending Ian Kinsler with Justin Verlander to the @Dodgers. Makes sense for both sides. https://t.co/HQuPSfFzGg

V: If this and they keep RichHill they would be better then the Cubs.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ScottyJSno posted:

N: Twitter Rumor - The @tigers could also be sending Ian Kinsler with Justin Verlander to the @Dodgers. Makes sense for both sides. https://t.co/HQuPSfFzGg

V: If this and they keep RichHill they would be better then the Cubs.

How does it make sense? What would the Tigers get?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

puig?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gobias Ind. posted:

Saves are just as bad of a stat as wins.

No, holds/saves can be a pretty good defensive metric, they indicate how well a pitcher can do his job and avoid giving up runs, although the one wrinkle is when a pitcher gets thrown in in a situation with runners on vs. a clean inning.

The win stat is more nebulous because of how it's applied, where you can get the win as a starter only if you pitch at least five innings whereas that restriction does not apply to relievers, and the starter can get a no-decision if he pitches well but the game remains scoreless until after he leaves (or another pitcher gives up the lead.)

A perfect example is game 7 of the WS, where Hendricks pitched well but got pulled early, and the lead was not maintained, while Chapman gets the win despite pitching poorly (partially due to Maddon's mismanagement, admittedly.) Montgomery threw two pitches and got the save, fair enough. Who deserves the win though? Certainly not Chapman, and frankly I think Hendricks does despite throwing <5 and Chapman's performance. He started and he still pitched the most.

None of this really matters, though, but I still think save/hold is more straightforward than how wins are awarded.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The only good baseball stat is Pitches Framed

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Distance covered toward dugout by catcher before umpire makes the call.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

Opposing coaches/managers punched in a brawl is still a pretty good one.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Now that you mention it, it would be nice if we got to see the home plate ump's stats during the game. "Correct calls"/"total pitches" :rolleyes:

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Atomizer posted:

Now that you mention it, it would be nice if we got to see the home plate ump's stats during the game. "Correct calls"/"total pitches" :rolleyes:

Totally expect to see this the season before robo-umps just to boost public acceptance.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

How does it make sense? What would the Tigers get?

The Dodgers are flush with minor league talent and have a few young guys who look MLB ready but haven't fully developed yet that the Tigers could get in return. Also Puig. Off the top of my head:

Puig
De Leon
Urias (longshot, but it is Verlander + Kinsler...)
Toles
Bellinger
Calhoun/Micah Johnson

Dodgers absolutely have the pieces to make the trade, I'm just not sure if they'd be willing to move what Detroit would be asking for.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

General Dog posted:

Why the gently caress did Fox Southwest get rid of Steve Busby as the Rangers play-by-play? He'd gotten really good.

He sucked actually. He mixed up players constantly and would gently caress up calls frequently, not to mention saying every drat ball that wasn't perfectly hit was "fisted."

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Atomizer posted:

No, holds/saves can be a pretty good defensive metric, they indicate how well a pitcher can do his job and avoid giving up runs, although the one wrinkle is when a pitcher gets thrown in in a situation with runners on vs. a clean inning.

The win stat is more nebulous because of how it's applied, where you can get the win as a starter only if you pitch at least five innings whereas that restriction does not apply to relievers, and the starter can get a no-decision if he pitches well but the game remains scoreless until after he leaves (or another pitcher gives up the lead.)

A perfect example is game 7 of the WS, where Hendricks pitched well but got pulled early, and the lead was not maintained, while Chapman gets the win despite pitching poorly (partially due to Maddon's mismanagement, admittedly.) Montgomery threw two pitches and got the save, fair enough. Who deserves the win though? Certainly not Chapman, and frankly I think Hendricks does despite throwing <5 and Chapman's performance. He started and he still pitched the most.

None of this really matters, though, but I still think save/hold is more straightforward than how wins are awarded.

Yes, I know how they work. They're both bad stats and don't tell you much of anything about a pitcher.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

He sucked actually. He mixed up players constantly and would gently caress up calls frequently, not to mention saying every drat ball that wasn't perfectly hit was "fisted."

He actually told stories and had good insights about pitching though. Come to think of it, I liked him most when he did color with Raymond doing play by play. I kind of wish they'd rolled with that and put Tom Grieve out to pasture instead.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

Dodgers absolutely have the pieces to make the trade, I'm just not sure if they'd be willing to move what Detroit would be asking for.

I'd be surprised if Detroit let just those two be the deal without throwing in some more long term money like a Sanchez or maybe even Zimmerman. Verlander is getting around market rate but Kinsler is cheap, the haul would have to be massive for just those two.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I'd be surprised if Detroit let just those two be the deal without throwing in some more long term money like a Sanchez or maybe even Zimmerman. Verlander is getting around market rate but Kinsler is cheap, the haul would have to be massive for just those two.

Also I'm not well-versed with the Dodger's prospects, but who are they giving up that doesn't make the trade a wash for LA?

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Atomizer posted:

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised there aren't already some sort of stats for umps like this already. Since baseball is such a nerd driven stat sport.

Bob Saget IRL fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 13, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bob Saget IRL posted:

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised there aren't already some sort of stats for umps like this already. Since baseball is such a nerd driven stat sport.

There is, though, it's just not widely known: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/37468304/

The Zone Evaluation System specifically tracks umps' accuracy in calling pitches.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Thinking about the offseason I have to imagine Soler is getting traded for ~something~ but I have no idea what. He's got 4 years of team control left and he has the tools for a breakout season but it hasn't come yet and it won't come if he's the 5th (or even 6th) OF on the Cubs. Maybe see if any AL teams have a need for a corner OF/DH type and try and get a Travis Wood type long relief/emergency starter out of it.

If what Theo said about not wanting Almora to take over CF immediately stays true (and Fowler doesn't re-sign) I can see them picking up somebody on the cheap like Bourn and cutting them by June if they struggle and Almora looks ready. The other question is - what do you do with Zobrist? If you keep Heyward in RF then Zobrist doesn't really have an everyday place in the lineup but with his contract + his leadership value I can't see him traded. Maybe they do move Heyward to center and do something crazy like Zobrist at 2B, Baez at 3B and Bryant to RF just to get them all in the lineup.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Atomizer posted:

There is, though, it's just not widely known: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/37468304/

The Zone Evaluation System specifically tracks umps' accuracy in calling pitches.

It also says demeanor on the field is judged and Joe West is A. Still employed and B. Works the post season.

The system doesn't work.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

General Dog posted:

He actually told stories and had good insights about pitching though. Come to think of it, I liked him most when he did color with Raymond doing play by play. I kind of wish they'd rolled with that and put Tom Grieve out to pasture instead.

I cant stand Raymond. The broadcast is going to be dire next year

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
What is with Shaprio's bizarre obsession with getting Jay Bruce.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

General Dog posted:

That I would agree with. Busby would be a good color guy. And Grieve loving sucks as a color guy. He's way too reluctant to talk. He has some cool stories, but it's like pulling teeth for the play by play guy to get him to open up and talk. Lewin was capable of doing it.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sydin posted:

The Dodgers are flush with minor league talent and have a few young guys who look MLB ready but haven't fully developed yet that the Tigers could get in return. Also Puig. Off the top of my head:

Puig
De Leon
Urias (longshot, but it is Verlander + Kinsler...)
Toles
Bellinger
Calhoun/Micah Johnson

Puig has to be included because the Tigers outfield defense is awful and it'd help offset some of the salary costs. I always figured Puig would be part of a JD Martinez package, however, given that the Dodgers desperately need right hand power.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Shohei Otani is a loving goddamn monster human being what the hell

https://gfycat.com/AbleOrganicAnchovy

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Spoeank posted:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Spoeank posted:

And that's why you play baseball outdoors like god intended. :colbert:

I wonder if they'll manage to break him before he gets posted if/when that ever happens.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

They called it a ground rule double...

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

This could be a gif of his reaction

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

who's pitching? seems familiar

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Abel Wingnut posted:

who's pitching? seems familiar

It was Wendell Floranus

He was in the Orioles system. Last year he played indy ball in the Pacific Association.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

ScottyJSno posted:

It was Wendell Floranus

He was in the Orioles system. Last year he played indy ball in the Pacific Association.

How is this a person's name

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

TheChaosPath posted:

He is on the Dutch national team, and from the Caribbean? :shrug:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Spoeank posted:

He's going to get all the money when he gets posted. Every dollar.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

CubsWoo posted:

Thinking about the offseason I have to imagine Soler is getting traded for ~something~ but I have no idea what. He's got 4 years of team control left and he has the tools for a breakout season but it hasn't come yet and it won't come if he's the 5th (or even 6th) OF on the Cubs. Maybe see if any AL teams have a need for a corner OF/DH type and try and get a Travis Wood type long relief/emergency starter out of it.

If what Theo said about not wanting Almora to take over CF immediately stays true (and Fowler doesn't re-sign) I can see them picking up somebody on the cheap like Bourn and cutting them by June if they struggle and Almora looks ready. The other question is - what do you do with Zobrist? If you keep Heyward in RF then Zobrist doesn't really have an everyday place in the lineup but with his contract + his leadership value I can't see him traded. Maybe they do move Heyward to center and do something crazy like Zobrist at 2B, Baez at 3B and Bryant to RF just to get them all in the lineup.

I don't think there will be an issue with giving guys time if they brought back Fowler. Zobrist probably plays LF against lefties. Plays 2B and RF the rest of the way. He's 35 years old next season, so I imagine Joe is going to be more liberal with the days off. Baez plays 2B when Zobrist is in the outfield or getting a day off. Gives days off to Bryant, Russell, and Rizzo the other days. Or just comes off the bench as your defensive replacement. As much as I like Baez in the field, his bat is still sketchy.

The only way it's an issue is if everyone stays healthy and plays great. I see no reason why both guys won't get 500 at-bats next season.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

TheChaosPath posted:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The Cubs won the 2016 World Series.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

The Cubs won the 2016 World Series.

Donald Trump won the 2016 Presidential Election.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Apparently the Yankees have a lot of suitors for McCann, which surprises me. He'd still have to waive his NTC, but I would imagine that Cashman isn't just dangling him out there for salary relief.

• Locked thread