Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

The man's last name is "Layman". There's no way he can keep this up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Jake Layman is gonna get hosed UP when he runs into Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

:golfclap:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

chunkles posted:

Heh

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Warriors are the first team in NBA history to have four different players hit four three-pointers in the same game.

Durant/Curry have a good shot at becoming only the third pair of NBA/ABA teammates to be #1 and #2 in scoring (they're #2 and #3 now):

code:
Player		Pos	NP	Tm
Oscar Robertson	PG	266.52	CIN
Jerry Lucas	PF	206.12	CIN

Player		Pos	NP	Tm
Neil Johnston	C	126.88	PHW
Paul Arizin	SF	52.28	PHW
CIN and PHW were both great offensive teams but had terrible defenses.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think anyone who stayed on the Harrions Barnes will be good bandwagon deserves plaudits. He looked like a loving useless awful player in the last two sets of playoffs.

Hand Knit posted:

Demar's gotta have the best learning tool in recent NBA history. We reached "this is the best he's gonna be" with him like four to five years ago, but he's found a way to get better every year since then.

Writing off young players prematurely is one of the stubborn pastimes of fandom.

It's been done to everyone except the guys who were near MVP-level as rookies (a very short list).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

Who's gunna start? I hope they give it back to Ricky, Dunn seems like he's be better server gunning with the 2nd Unit. Though Tyus has been pretty good this young season too.

Considering how Dunn is playing I can't imagine Dunn would start.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

Considering how Dunn is playing I can't imagine Dunn would start.

Thibs said Ricky is starting

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bashez posted:

Derrick Rose is almost back to negative winshares after last night's terrible game.

On the one hand I feel kind of bad for following that stat but on the other gently caress Derrick Rose.

I'm wondering if he'd be better to have than Rondo.

Knicks haven't even gotten to the best part where he milks minor injuries for weeks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

Thibs said Ricky is starting

All is right with the world

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Somehow Luke Walton has made Nick Young both an efficient scorer and a solid defender
This is sort of like when Dion Waiters suddenly became a perfectly competent role player during the playoffs last season, completely unexpected

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Dejan Bimble posted:

Somehow Luke Walton has made Nick Young both an efficient scorer and a solid defender
This is sort of like when Dion Waiters suddenly became a perfectly competent role player during the playoffs last season, completely unexpected

Probably the same deal too - a small sample size that you can't draw broad conclusions from. Nick Young has shown that he is horrible over a career that has gone on for way too long.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Unexpected? Dion was a star all season

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

milk milk lemonade posted:

Probably the same deal too - a small sample size that you can't draw broad conclusions from. Nick Young has shown that he is horrible over a career that has gone on for way too long.

Small sample size shmall shample shize Nick Young is a star

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Metapod posted:

Unexpected? Dion was a star all season

please do not troll it is affecting my center of self

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

allegedly he has committed to defense

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Guys while we're mourning the death of the discourse I'm afraid that Michael Kidd Gilchrist has become "Injury-Prone"

That loving guy is too athletic for his body and biomechanics, he's like a very powerful train that's always going off the tracks

please do not put this evil on my friend mkg, I can't handle it

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Zogo posted:

The Warriors are the first team in NBA history to have four different players hit four three-pointers in the same game.

Durant/Curry have a good shot at becoming only the third pair of NBA/ABA teammates to be #1 and #2 in scoring (they're #2 and #3 now):

code:
Player		Pos	NP	Tm
Oscar Robertson	PG	266.52	CIN
Jerry Lucas	PF	206.12	CIN

Player		Pos	NP	Tm
Neil Johnston	C	126.88	PHW
Paul Arizin	SF	52.28	PHW
CIN and PHW were both great offensive teams but had terrible defenses.

Writing off young players prematurely is one of the stubborn pastimes of fandom.

It's been done to everyone except the guys who were near MVP-level as rookies (a very short list).
Also a good example of how hard it is for players to grow into 'star' roles when the team is already really good. Sometimes a guy just has to hold the ball and see what happens to see what he can truly do. It makes you wonder what sort of player Darko would have been if he'd have been drafted by a really bad team. Maybe a middle class man's pau gasol?

A potential pitfall for the Celtics if they can't turn their big basket of picks into anything, young guys with potential with no chance to feel their way through games

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Darko went to the post-Garnett Wolves, he had plenty of chances, he was just a bust like Anthony Bennett

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

N: The 3 Alphas win again

V:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Felicio literally didn't play a minute. I understand if the coach is one of those shitheads that play vets over young players, but him and Portis are both 2nd years aren't they

And one is way way way better by everyone

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Spurs really slowed it down tonight and played a good game. Parker and Ginobili looked good.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Tae posted:

Felicio literally didn't play a minute. I understand if the coach is one of those shitheads that play vets over young players, but him and Portis are both 2nd years aren't they

And one is way way way better by everyone

It has to be Gar not wanting to look bad by admitting he hosed up yet another 1st round pick. It's too bad because I think sending Portis to Hoffman Estates would help.

I guess Grant will hang around the team too since Horace is the assistant GM. Too many roster spots wasted on nepotism and ego.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I don't think the success is necessarily going to hold up the whole season, but the Lakers have themselves a nice team. If there was ever a time that being LA would get them a nice free agent next off season seems like the time it's going to happen.

How did Luol Deng swing that contract by the way.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Harden had another triple double tonight. I hope he rattles off a couple this season. Eric Gordon has been great.

Well they had a lot of money to throw around and he's a Savvy Veteran who will teach the young Lakers how to play the right way and not upload videos of their teammates to instagram and so on.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

I don't think the success is necessarily going to hold up the whole season, but the Lakers have themselves a nice team. If there was ever a time that being LA would get them a nice free agent next off season seems like the time it's going to happen.

The lakers pick is top 3 protected for philly this year and unprotected next year, so I assume they wanted to not be embarrassing while having players to set the culture for their young guys before they inevitably lose a ton of games, and hopefully improve enough that their pick that will transfer to philly next year is only 8 or so instead of 2 or 3

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I just thought he was kinda cooked and he's on the books for 18 mil/season until 2020 :wow:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Sam Hinkie tried to not give giant contracts to washed up veterans and look what happened to him

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Deng had a really good season last year in Miami, and the assumption was that he would play PF a lot, but apparently the Lakers gm didn't expect Walton to use all the young bigs.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It shouldn't be a huge surprise. They were a much better team when Kobe wasn't on the court so his retirement was going to give them a huge boost. And they dumped a terrible coach and hired Luke Walton who looks like he knows what he is doing.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

Deng had a really good season last year in Miami, and the assumption was that he would play PF a lot, but apparently the Lakers gm didn't expect Walton to use all the young bigs.

Deng , mozgov, and lou williams all can help the team look like they're in games that they'll never win, and that's important in not alienating in the fan base post kobe

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dejan Bimble posted:

Deng , mozgov, and lou williams all can help the team look like they're in games that they'll never win, and that's important in not alienating in the fan base post kobe

And Luke somehow has Mozgov and Lou playing great and contributing

Deng is just cooked, but I still like having him. He was one of those guys who always seemed destined to end up on the Lakers eventually

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lou Williams was always above-average, just coincidentally he was poo poo when Byron Scott was the coach

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

Lou Williams was always above-average, just coincidentally he was poo poo when Byron Scott was the coach

Yeah, I add him to the list for this year because he can start a little run on the bench and get the fans excited. The lakers understand it's entertianment and don't want to make their fans miserable with d-leaguers, while they tank

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Yeah, I add him to the list for this year because he can start a little run on the bench and get the fans excited. The lakers understand it's entertianment and don't want to make their fans miserable with d-leaguers, while they tank

I miss R Kelly & Bob Sacre

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I don't understand why the Lakers can't be a bottom tier playoff team this year, although maybe I'm being a homer. They have a positive scoring differential, they've beaten Golden State, Houston, Atlanta, and are beating up on the bad teams. Statistically, they're generating a lot of open shots and missing a lot of them, which is something I think that will come back to the mean. They're not going to make an impressive run or anything, but I definitely think they can make an eight seed. Deng has been garbo though

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, Lakers are not getting a top three pick this year. They may not be a playoff team but they'll be closer to .500 than they are to the nets, pelicans and Phoenix.

Deng and Mozgov are there to keep the team reasonable then they both expire together in 2020. I dunno what the plan is but that is probably the target year for them to have everything come together

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

InnercityGriot posted:

I don't understand why the Lakers can't be a bottom tier playoff team this year, although maybe I'm being a homer. They have a positive scoring differential, they've beaten Golden State, Houston, Atlanta, and are beating up on the bad teams. Statistically, they're generating a lot of open shots and missing a lot of them, which is something I think that will come back to the mean. They're not going to make an impressive run or anything, but I definitely think they can make an eight seed. Deng has been garbo though

They are playing well for sure, and I think they are playing super hard - which goes a long way. They're also taking a lot of teams by surprise.

I'll be curious to see what happens when they hit a rough patch. Luke is great when things are going well but he's too chill when things go bad for a bit. The story last season was that Kerr was supposed to stay out a month longer last season but came back early because Luke was losing control. He may have learned from that though - he's a smart dude.

Though I imagine practice begins with him smoking out the whole team so maybe everything will be cool.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

InnercityGriot posted:

Young teams don't win

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

InnercityGriot posted:

They also lost to a depleted Mavs squad.

It's not impossible for them to make it, just tough. The race for the 8th seed is going to be a bloodbath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Doing the little things to lose games is really underrated

• Locked thread