Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

coworker just bought the new non touchbar macbookpro and the keyboard and trackpad are really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
TrackPoint supremacy

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

do you not like molasses or something??

its not good for dragging things thru expediently and unencumbered.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

wash your hands lmao

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Last Chance posted:

coworker just bought the new non touchbar macbookpro and the keyboard and trackpad are really great.

they really are fantastic. it's a great computer.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the price and tech specs are definitely stupid, but if it weren't for that, this thing would be recognized as the best apple laptop so far. I'm not just trolling here, it's a really, really good laptop, you just need to get your hands on it to realize that.

but also I hope you're all ready for the apple docking station, and to lol at the fact that you have to plug it in via a USB port.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yes if it weren't for all the terrible features the macbook pro would truly be great

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the only decent windows laptop trackpad I've used recently is on a surface book

and it turns out windows is really bad about gestures. no three finger drag wtf

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shaggar posted:

mac touch pads are awful cause osx mousing is the worst. it feels like you're dragging your finger thru molasses

they have a sensitivity slider, try increasing it sometime

magic pad owns, I haven't used a mouse in four years.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

being forced to use nothing but a trackpad forever sounds like a fate worse than death

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

they have a sensitivity slider, try increasing it sometime

magic pad owns, I haven't used a mouse in four years.

it doesn't help. mousing in osx is the worst.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Linguica posted:

being forced to use nothing but a trackpad forever sounds like a fate worse than death

spoken like someone who primarily uses windows trackpads

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i've used a mac trackpad at work since they came out. they're really good and i think it helps prevent carpal tunnel, but not sure on that. but it feels much nicer than gripping a mouse all day

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Linguica posted:

thats only because you plugged the mouse in on the wrong side of the mbp

smh

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Linguica posted:

When I was running in the evening a lot I managed to puzzle out the precise command that would make Siri tell me the exact time of that evening's twilight. Recently I started running in the evenings again and I can't figure out what the command was and I feel like I've lost forbidden Atlantean wisdom

Linguica posted:

Right except I don't want to know sunset (7:50 pm), I want to know civil twilight (8:19 pm)

e: oh hey just saying "evening civil twilight" works. Good
update: saying this to siri spontaneously broke again as of today

weirdly it still works if i ask siri on my mac though. thapple

Linguica fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 12, 2016

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

gonna cremnob up this thread with some super complimentary excerpts from articles

quote:

fired up a bunch of apps and projects (more than I’d ever work on at one time) in every app I could possibly think of on my MacBook Pro. These included apps you’d find professional photographers, designers, software engineers, penetration testers, reverse engineers, and other types running – and I ran them all at once, and switched between them, making “professionally-type-stuff” happen as I go.

Here’s a list of everything I ran at once:

VMwarei Fusion: Two running virtual machines (Windows 10, macOS Sierra)
Adobe Photoshop CC: Four 1+gb 36 MP professional, multi-layer photos
Adobe InDesign CC: A 22 page photography-intensive project
Xcode: Four production Objective-C projects, all cleaned and rebuilt
Microsoft PowerPoint: A slide deck presentation
Microsoft Word: A 20+ page document with graphics
MachOView: Analyzing a daemon binary
Mozilla FireFox: Viewing a website
Safari: viewing a different website
Preview: Three PDF books
Hopper Disassembler: Performing an analysis on a binary
WireShark: Performing a live network capture as I do all of this
IDA Pro 64-bit: Analyzing a 64-bit intel binary
Apple Mail: Viewing four mailboxes
Tweetbot: Reading all the flames and trolls in my mentions
iBooks: Currently viewing an ebook I paid for
Terminal: A few sessions idling
iTunes
Little Flocker
Little Snitch
OverSight
Finder
Activity Monitor
Path Finder
Console
Probably a lot I’ve missed

The result? I ran out of things to do before I ever ran out of RAM. I only ever made it to 14.5GB before the system decided to start paging out, so I didn’t even have the change to burn up all that delicious RAM.

different article

quote:

I’ve been using the MacBook Pro with the new version of FCP X and cutting 5k ProRes material all week, it’s buttery smooth. No matter what you think the specs say, the fact is the software and hardware are so well integrated it tears strips off “superior spec’d” Windows counterparts in the real world. This has always been true of Macs. If you’re running software with old code which doesn’t utilise the hardware well, you’re not going to get great performance (as pointed out here). I understand people need to use programs from other developers, but at some point they need to play catch up. Otherwise it’s akin to asking for a more powerful engine because you like to buy tire-less wheels for your car. For all the kinds of work I do it’s been excellent.

The version I’ve been using is powerful enough on the graphics front to power two 5K displays, which is an insane number of pixels. It makes me wonder if I could happily cut on this machine in my edit suit 24/7 as well as out in the field. The answer is probably yes. To have that power on the go and also docked in my suite is great. This machine has made an already nippy piece of editing software faster still.

We live in a changed world. Technology moves forwards quickly but in fits and starts. YouTubers deliver amazing 4K videos to millions on a daily basis, while some TV stations barely manage to push out 1080p trash to shrinking audiences. A Pro machine has to cover such a wide spectrum of people and disciplines that is unlikely to ever satisfy all professionals in all things. But this will probably satisfy the vast majority, from the low end to the high.
looks like tim and jony have done it again

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
what a surprise, the mbp is good enough except for the imaginary workloads dreamed up by Reddit users.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

qirex posted:

buttery smooth
COINTELPRO by an android user detected

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

gonna cremnob up this thread with some super complimentary excerpts from articles

different article

is he over committing those VMs?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Linguica posted:

update: saying this to siri spontaneously broke again as of today

weirdly it still works if i ask siri on my mac though. thapple

hey Siri, evening spergle nerdlight please

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

different article

wow your telling me intels second newest processor and last gen ati make for an acceptably fast computer? i never would have believed it get the gently caress out of here timb

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
nobody makes better laptops than Apple

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

:agreed:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Pissflaps posted:

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

quote:

the fact is the software and hardware are so well integrated it tears strips off “superior spec’d” Windows counterparts in the real world.

intel again conspiring with apple by adding secret instruction sets for them to use smh

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AtomD posted:

intel again conspiring with apple by adding secret instruction sets for them to use smh

or maybe just maybe a limited fixed set of hardware platforms is easier to optimize for? just spitballin' here

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Pissflaps posted:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

qirex posted:

or maybe just maybe a limited fixed set of hardware platforms is easier to optimize for? just spitballin' here

all conspiracies are true though e.g. this election

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

qirex posted:

or maybe just maybe a limited fixed set of hardware platforms

yeah, that isn't going to last long now that jobs is dead

see: the iphone & ipad lines

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

C.H.O.M.E posted:

hey Siri, evening spergle nerdlight please
using technology to more efficiently plan and a track physical activities is actually extremely good. In fact apple offers a line of beautifully designed products specifically designed for this purpose.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gAMIH1yz0I
:dong: :dong::dong: :dong::dong: :dong::dong: :dong::dong: :dong::dong: :dong::dong: :dong::dong: :dong::dong: :dong::dong: :dong:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Those are some really nice dongles, even more reason to buy the new macbook pro I guess

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pissflaps posted:

i'm the gaping chasm between the best laptop in the world and a laptop that's not a piece is poo poo

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

i'm the gaping chasm between the best laptop in the world and a laptop that's not a piece is poo poo

have you tried one good laptop and an adhoc network of unsatisfactory laptops

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
friends sent me an itunes giftcard

where the email would normally display the contents of the giftcard, it simply said N/A

I had to redeem it so see that it contained a book I already had in my iBooks library

I contacted apple support and they told me I cannot return giftcards after they have been redeemed

owned

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the fascinating aspect of that story is that you owned a book in itunes. was close to owning two even

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

why

because you dont expect people to buy electronic books or because you dont expect me to actually read

dont say both im serious

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

why

because you dont expect people to buy electronic books or because you dont expect me to actually read

dont say both im serious

because Amazon is a thing that exists

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

Yes but iBooks is my prefered ebook app

I tested google play books and the kindle app but don't really like them as much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ibooks is the best ebook reading app by far. google's and amazon's are absolute poo poo. it's weird that kindle software sucks so bad considering it's supposed to be really important to amazon.

is the kindle software on an actual kindle device as bad?

• Locked thread