Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"increasingly pissed" really describes trunks well in the backhalf of this arc

basically just screaming gently caress YOU every time zamasu or black open their mouths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Kelp Plankton posted:

it was nice to see him again though. and he got to do some real rad poo poo. good job Trunks you have redeemed yourself from feeling like kind of an idiot wimp in the Cell arc. i'm proud of you.

He went back to his time and killed the androids and Cell though? Dude's like the most effective good guy other than Goku when you think about it.

Well, in the made-up version of the story, that is. I'm sure we'll see the true version where Hercule defeated Gowku Blick and Zamus shortly.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
So weird not knowing what's gonna happen next in Dragon Ball.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kelp Plankton posted:

i am honestly shocked Trunks didn't go SSJ Blue in this arc

To be fair, Trunks' weird bastardized hybrid form was better than SSJ Blue by all indications :shrug:

We still don't really know what the hell is going on with that form

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
also shoutouts to goku managing to still kick zamasu through a building with only one functional limb

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

"increasingly pissed" really describes trunks well in the backhalf of this arc

basically just screaming gently caress YOU every time zamasu or black open their mouths

To be fair I can't imagine how loving exhausting it must be to be Trunks. You're born into a lovely post-apocalyptic world. Not even like a good one. It's post-apocalyptic because two 20-somethings like blowing poo poo up because a crazy doctor turned them into robots. So you engage in a complex time travel plot to kill them only to have some loving space wizard show up and try to ruin everything. You train with literal gods to beat the space wizard, everything seems great, and woah here comes the time-displaced possessed corpse of the dude who died before the androids showed up to murder everyone while screaming about how terrible mortals are, only for his life partner/alternate dimension version to show up and help.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I expected this episode to be universally loved but everywhere I look on the internet people are mad, I mean they are loving MAD. I've never read the phrase "I'm done" so many times (although I'm sure I would have if I followed more TV shows as they're airing for the first time). Power level inconsistency really pushes people's buttons, no wonder every dbz fan is so obsessed with scouters and numbers and precisely how much power what form gives when. I thought writing-wise the episode was heartwarmingly corny in a good way and I feel satisfied.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaise330 posted:

I expected this episode to be universally loved but everywhere I look on the internet people are mad, I mean they are loving MAD. I've never read the phrase "I'm done" so many times (although I'm sure I would have if I followed more TV shows as they're airing for the first time). Power level inconsistency really pushes people's buttons, no wonder every dbz fan is so obsessed with scouters and numbers and precisely how much power what form gives when. I thought writing-wise the episode was heartwarmingly corny in a good way and I feel satisfied.

There's a specific kind of DBZ fan who really really desperately clings to numbers despite the fact the show itself loudly and repeatedly repudiates the idea that numbers determine fights.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I can't wait for Xenoverse 3 that will give me the ability to form an energy sword and stab bad guys in the dick.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Changing how previously established stuff works doesn't really fall under the same branch as power levels. I think the people who think the random change to Potara fusion was a dumb contrivance to justify something cool have a fair point. Zamasu can already open wormholes in space time, just have him catch Vegetto off guard and phase him out of reality for a couple of minutes. Trunks making a Ki blade made a lot of sense, he'd already seen Black do it tons, and the spirit bomb was fine and justified a really cool scene.

If the Supreme Kai got merced in the middle of the next arc to assassinate Beerus and it turned out that no you have to kill the Kai on Tuesday for it to take, it would be dumb no matter how savage and well animated Beerus' beatdown of the assailant would be for it.

It is really funny to me though that after weeks of Vegetto vs Gogeta squabbling on the Internet we get Vegetto after all, except it's Gogeta in all but name and appearance.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 13, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair I can't imagine how loving exhausting it must be to be Trunks. You're born into a lovely post-apocalyptic world. Not even like a good one. It's post-apocalyptic because two 20-somethings like blowing poo poo up because a crazy doctor turned them into robots. So you engage in a complex time travel plot to kill them only to have some loving space wizard show up and try to ruin everything. You train with literal gods to beat the space wizard, everything seems great, and woah here comes the time-displaced possessed corpse of the dude who died before the androids showed up to murder everyone while screaming about how terrible mortals are, only for his life partner/alternate dimension version to show up and help.

...Wait. I'm an idiot. Who's the space wizard in Trunks' timeline?

Butterflysmasher
Aug 7, 2005

found it wierd how the timering grew to match his purple-gum donkeykong arm.
Good ep good arc

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Babidi.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Wait. I'm an idiot. Who's the space wizard in Trunks' timeline?

Babidi showed up offscreen between Z and Super according to Super.

TheKingofSprings posted:

. I think the people who think the random change to Potara fusion was a dumb contrivance to justify something cool have a fair point.

I really genuinely do not get why people care when last time this happened the Potara fusion was undone by 'magic gas' almost instantly. It being permanent was never that big a deal.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Every time I heard someone go "Super is pretty good past the Revival of F arc" there's been a wild chorus of "Shut the gently caress up Super is just awful." so I passed on watching the show, that and just hearing Black Goku sounded dumb.

Still couldn't help but find myself bored enough to watch the last few episodes and while I have no idea what the gently caress was going on other then Zamasu is a huge jerk and it takes place in Future Trunks time I thought what I saw was cool as all hell in a cornball kind of way?? I'm really not used to Granny Goku but why do people hate this arc? I'm kinda tempted to go back and actually watch it if it's the same quality as episode 66

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

There's a specific kind of DBZ fan who really really desperately clings to numbers despite the fact the show itself loudly and repeatedly repudiates the idea that numbers determine fights.

Power levels are one thing but let's not conflate power levels with consistency.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Pureauthor posted:

I can't wait for Xenoverse 3 that will give me the ability to form an energy sword and stab bad guys in the dick.

it's going to be nice to have all these new Strike moves based around energy blades and poo poo in the XV2 DLC honestly

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Babidi showed up offscreen between Z and Super according to Super.

I really genuinely do not get why people care when last time this happened the Potara fusion was undone by 'magic gas' almost instantly. It being permanent was never that big a deal.

Buu's loving magic, by that point what he could already do was far weirder.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I really wish they didn't change the rules for no reason.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Ah yes, my favorite villains Icebox, Android 31, Emperor Snail and Rettus

I'm excited to see the fusion between Professor Tireo and Cauliflower The Mythic Mega Monkey.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Buu's loving magic, by that point what he could already do was far weirder.

"It's magic" isn't actually any less ridiculous an explanation than "It has a time limit, the Kais were just kind of dumb" because "The Kais were just kind of dumb" is entirely consistent with what we know of them.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

CharlestheHammer posted:

Power levels are one thing but let's not conflate power levels with consistency.
This series doesn't really care at all about that sorta thing, it's governed by the Rule of Cool.

Changing the explicit rules of potara is really strange, I will admit. Considering we're never gonna see anyone else use them, I don't think it's a big deal though. It's really clear the writers just wanted some Vegito fanservice, and fanservice callbacks are like half the show, so I really don't mind.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Every time I heard someone go "Super is pretty good past the Revival of F arc" there's been a wild chorus of "Shut the gently caress up Super is just awful." so I passed on watching the show, that and just hearing Black Goku sounded dumb.

Still couldn't help but find myself bored enough to watch the last few episodes and while I have no idea what the gently caress was going on other then Zamasu is a huge jerk and it takes place in Future Trunks time I thought what I saw was cool as all hell in a cornball kind of way?? I'm really not used to Granny Goku but why do people hate this arc? I'm kinda tempted to go back and actually watch it if it's the same quality as episode 66

The new stuff (starting with episode 28 or 29) is all pretty drat good. The show reeks of QUALITY but it can still be charming enough to be entertaining. If you're interested you should totally watch.

edit: Funnily enough this arc is probably the most consistent of them when it comes to plot, since they bothered covering up pieces of Trunks' timeline that we didn't even need to know about (Buu, when Pilaf and co made the wish to be kids, the extra time machine, etc).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

"It's magic" isn't actually any less ridiculous an explanation than "It has a time limit, the Kais were just kind of dumb" because "The Kais were just kind of dumb" is entirely consistent with what we know of them.

Old Kai is the most brilliant scientific mind next to Bulma and I will loving thank you not to disparage him ImpAtom

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Old Kai is the most brilliant scientific mind next to Bulma and I will loving thank you not to disparage him ImpAtom

If he was really so smart he'd stop whining about them using the Dragonballs. :colbert:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Most people don't hate this arc. People who hate Super doesn't watch it period and just assume things

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I've not heard anyone say that this arc is bad. most of the complaining about super being bad died down after rof (except about the animation but hey, it's not exactly amazing)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Most of the reception to Super is positive but the people who hate it REALLY hate it.

They also tend to be the people who really hate the Buu arc though I've noticed, and Super is a lot less like Cell and Frieza than it is Buu, even in the Future Trunks arc which is probably the darkest and grimmest it will ever be.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
pretty sure I'm gonna make a kaioshin in dragonball fusions but I don't know what the gently caress to name him since there's no real name pattern that fits all three of the kaioshin we know the names of

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

"So in my story Future Trunks come back AGAIN because there's a new threat that's even MORE powerful and evil than the last time and and and the new threat is GOKU! Except evil and even more powerfuller than the good Goku ever was! In fact he's so strong he doesn't even know what his attacks do! And then there's an evil god with white hair and black clothes and they team up and shoot really awesome spells like that rpg I played that other day! And then Trunks finally beats them by using the Spirit Bomb! Except it's a SWORD now! And he stabs the evil god in the dick with it!

... and Vegetto shows up too, I guess."

Seriously. 12-year-old's fanfiction.

DBSuper owns.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah, I just hear generic "no it's bad" remarks all the time so it put me off really.

After I saw 66 looked at a few different sites for reactions and most of them were just REALLY loving MAD at the show and... I didn't get it.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I used to steer away from Super too due to hearing this same opinions, but I started watching it last Monday and got so hooked up I caught up by Wednesday.

It's classic Dragon Ball, which means good quality shonen. It has fun fights that are resolved by people actually fighting instead of explaining their powers to the audience (something that a lot of current animes tend to do, give some credit to your audience for fucks sake), it knows when to drop jokes without breaking the atmosphere, and surprisingly for Dragon Ball it has some really good emotional and character development moments, mostly on this last arc, but also present in the previous arcs too.

Even the filler episodes are entertaining to watch. The fact that Toriyama has apparently been given free rein to write the story whichever way he wants means parallel universes and timelines fuckery, both plot points that he is really good at writing.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I don't like this retcon

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Vegito making fun of a crying Zamasu was hilarious. Zamasu getting cleaved in the dick was great.

Episode owned. Super is cool and good.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Aurora posted:

I like this retcon

This is a good retcon, yes.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

No it's not :goleft:

There are far better things that could've come from potara staying the way they worked than what they did. Think of it, Vegito slice of life episodes...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

On the other hand imagine if Vegeto didn't defuse and instead got beat down by Zamasu who then gets owned by Trunks.

You'd have a segment of the DB fandom literally die of rage.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Not my problem!

Besides, it's not like he's been shown to be overly cocky or anything :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blue Vegito might've been short-lived but drat was it awesome.
Genki Dama Sword was pretty badass and a good way to give Trunks the kill. The animation in this episode was killer by the way.

Best part though was Zamasu crying because he just cares so much about the world.

Aurora posted:

Not my problem!

Besides, it's not like he's been shown to be overly cocky or anything :v:

He wasn't, actually. He was being pragmatic against Buu.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
that episode owned

there was no way that trunks even with the spirit sword was stronger than vegito tho, didn't they explicitly say that vegitos attack hosed up zamasu enough to create the opening for him to lose? like i assume the final kamehameha pretty much broke zamasu outright but after the vegito defusion it was grim bc even really hosed up zamasu was way stronger than them esp with goku and vegeta on deaths door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Dragon Ball Super is written by people who grew up and loved Dragon Ball Z, thus it'll be both fanficy and amazing at the same time

• Locked thread