Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Here's some stuff I gleaned:

- tap triangle to warp forwards / at locked on enemy, hold triangle and you'll go to the nearest spot warp

- if you don't hit at least two of your bros with every magic you cast, you arent embracing the point of it

- if you hit an enemy and get red numbers of damage, the weapon / magic you are using is effective. White is normal, and purple means you need to switch to something else.

- this game is gonna own. I was surprised even on easy the enemies will punish you for trying to jump spam out of the way

- if you use all your MP Noctis remembers nobody understands him and goes into squall emo mode. You regen mp by hiding (hold square behind a wall) or better by hanging from a warp point (mp regen up there is great)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
As far as I can tell you can't cancel your attack animations with anything which is the one detail that really distances the game from any comparisons to character action. It's really all about spacing and MP conservation rather than quick reflexes.

Also I'm sad letting the conversation timer run out doesn't let you RP as Squall and give you a "..." response.

Nina fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 12, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm fairly certain animation cancelling is an unlockable ability in the grid.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

In that case I'm really looking forward to what you can pull off with a fully upgraded Noctis. The potential for something really cool is there at least.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I managed to unlock some new moves. The system for attack commands is pretty weird with how you just hold a direction while holding the attack button.

Nina fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 12, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I quickly figured out the combat, but to really get moments of mastery (including strategical use of combined magic) took hours. This game will at the very least have combat that rocks and oh my god the delicious food modelling :3:
16 days

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So if I'm great at DMC/Bayonetta/MGR:R, will any of those skills translate over at all? I have no demo access

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Bust Rodd posted:

So if I'm great at DMC/Bayonetta/MGR:R, will any of those skills translate over at all? I have no demo access

I think yes. You can play combat so hard and actively your hands get tired or take it nice and easy with less adrenaline but still achieve results, just a tad slower.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Bust Rodd posted:

The gameplay is definitely slower and you need to make smart tactical choices when engaging enemy packs. You can't cancel out of everything with split second reflexes and warping to safety to get breathing room is smart.

I still don't understand how I'm supposed to incorporate dodging into the combat but I'm sure the English version clears that a bit.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 12, 2016

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

I'd say no. There's nothing in the game requiring very precise input and everything in the combat goes along with this more flowing pace.

It actually feels more like KH2 than anything.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Terper posted:

A dude compiled several of his fights here. He's pretty good, worth a watch if you're into that.

In that third fight, the one with sparring with Gladio, it answers one of the questions someone had earlier. Noctis does do a warpstrike with the gun, and yes, he warps to the bullet. Which is less silly than throwing his gun away, sure, but I think it's cool.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Nina posted:

feels more like KH2 than anything.

Well that's me Sold forever.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Stormgale posted:

Well that's me Sold forever.

Don't quote me on it but based on the combat upgrades I got I'm expecting the combo system to be pretty similar in that instead of triggering different moves with different inputs it's more context sensitive stuff you unlock with a reaction command thrown in here and there.

Magic is pretty different though and the warp is kinda reminiscent of flowmotion in that it offers you both an escape and a counterattack but it's a much more viable option in combat unlike flowmotion that's safe to use but deals puny damage.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Even though I didn't understand anything, the demo is really cool. Combat is really fun, especially against the big tough enemies. Listening to classic FF tunes on the radio is the best.

One thing though, there's supposed to be a Bandersnatch you can fight just a bit north of Hammerhead, but I'm not seeing him at all. Has anyone figured out how to get this guy to spawn?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Episode Duscae only came out a year ago. It's crazy to me how much the combat changed this late into development.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I need to play with the regular sword back+O move to see how viable it is as a dodge. At the very least it's fun to make Noctis do backflips.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tae posted:

Episode Duscae only came out a year ago. It's crazy to me how much the combat changed this late into development.

That was the point of episode duscae to make them actually vertical slice and design a game. Like FF13 has a pretty good system but it didn't exist until they were forced to do their demo.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

The more I just play the combat, the more convinced I get toward buying a digital copy rather than a regular physical, which I do for games I think I'll end up selling. This is GOOD.

Taking care of a Monster Hunt I dropped down for a stab from a cliff and it worked the way I wanted, sounded and looked the way I wanted. The way the guys work together is perfect. A game that regularly makes me feel all smiles is a good game.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 12, 2016

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I think I'll call it quits with the demo myself. I don't want to burn myself out on the first area before I've even played the full game in a language I understand.

Good things are worth waiting for

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think the average preview build was maximum 15 hours and you have to skip most of the sidequests to reach chapter 5. Out of 15.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That's perfect then because I've always felt KHII to be extremely fun and exciting.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I wouldn't really say it really feels like KH2, as someone who's played KH2 a shitload.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Augus posted:

I wouldn't really say it really feels like KH2, as someone who's played KH2 a shitload.

I can't really think of a closer comparison tbh. It's not that similar but there are some similarities in there.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's very hard to describe because most action games don't give big bonuses to positional and limb damage. And then those games tend to not have great evasion and parry mechanics, along with trigger-specific teammates.

I would say it might be the most tactical action-rpg just because of what I mentioned.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nina posted:

I can't really think of a closer comparison tbh. It's not that similar but there are some similarities in there.

It is kinda it's own thing really. KH2 has a different flow to battles really, especially when it comes to boss battles. It has much more heavy stagger on enemies, combos are always a set length with a finisher at the end, movement and timing are emphasized more. XV's combat is pretty unique and it's hard to think of something that is quite the same.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Actually it's a first-person shooter, like FF13.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
It's also a farming simulator, like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

It's more like a beautiful food simulator with an action RPG minigame.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

It also has GT cockpit view.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

is there really no way to compare equipment or see what people have equipped in stores

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

For non Japanese speakers allow me to confirm prompto is a huge idiot in Japanese too and will gladly drop a pun and take a pic when Ignis gets laid out instead of helping at all

GOTY 10/10

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
How do I trigger the enemies to spawn in the first motel hunt? I show up to the area and threatening music plays but nothing shows up.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I couldn't find them either, I was thinking they're underground but we can't go down there now

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

tote up a bags posted:

For non Japanese speakers allow me to confirm prompto is a huge idiot in Japanese too and will gladly drop a pun and take a pic when Ignis gets laid out instead of helping at all

GOTY 10/10

I lost it when Prompto sang the FF victory theme.

I love this game

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Have they confirmed anything for a PC release beyond "we're considering it"?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

How do I trigger the enemies to spawn in the first motel hunt? I show up to the area and threatening music plays but nothing shows up.

The goblins? They come out at night.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Nina posted:

It actually feels more like KH2 than anything.

This is actually what I was afraid of, the combat of the KH games bored me to tears, but at least KH2 had that amazing space shooter stuck in it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

tote up a bags posted:

GOTY 10/10

He's the worst. He falls on his rear end in combat, points guns at his friends, stands up in the car, won't shut up and I love him for it.

Being voiced by Michelangelo in the dub is just cherry on top.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kingtheninja posted:

Have they confirmed anything for a PC release beyond "we're considering it"?

They are still considering it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Nina posted:

He's the worst. He falls on his rear end in combat, points guns at his friends, stands up in the car, won't shut up and I love him for it.

Being voiced by Michelangelo in the dub is just cherry on top.

He's like a totally radical dude.

• Locked thread