Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

bobbilljim posted:

Whats the best thing that could happen here? I'm thinking US dollar tanks so I can get good poo poo on amazon for cheap, then they split america into 2 bits, all middle bit and Alaska can be USA, the sides can be like part of canada or something. Then build a big wall around it

California and Hawaii apply to join New Zealand the United Pacific states.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm waiting to re-subscribe to motogp.com until the very last minute in the hopes the euro will tank and make it cheaper than $150 bucks.

Bring on the meteor.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Being a New Zealander, living in the U.S., but specifically in the state of California right now is....

Confusing.

Seriously, the people in my lab/building are wandering around all hollow eyed. That's the ones that have come in to work at all so far (it's noon).

Just....ugh.

Vandalseed
Jun 21, 2013

Bringdowner
I was born in New England, then when I was a kid my parents moved us to NZ in 1986 because they were convinced Reagan was going to start a nuclear war.

I really resented that, because, well a bit of culture shock? (I was 15 at the time). Two TV channels? Bullied for my accent, and that I didn't want to play sport? , it sucked.

Rang them last night to thank them profusely

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

All of my American friends are really disappointed in the results.

The ones who are also minorities seem to be starting actual nervous breakdowns.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
They got what they deserved really. The DNC was found to be corrupt as gently caress and no one did anything. Likewise Clinton.

And of course not enough people went and actually voted. Hopefully now they realise how bad their system is and will be motivated to fix it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Surprising opinions coming from "truther".

Vandalseed
Jun 21, 2013

Bringdowner
I note that Slavoj Zizek also wanted Trump to win, because he his an "accelationist"

In other words, he wants to burn everything down.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

I think our best scenario is that China shelters our economy from the US tanking like it did during the financial crisis, and the Republicans manage to keep Trump from pouring too much gasoline on the fires in the Middle East.
Yeah, this'll drive NZ a lot closer to China, both politically and financially. Look forward to the surge in NZF support when Winston realises that we're being nice to Asians and kicks up a huge fuss.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

truther posted:

They got what they deserved really. The DNC was found to be corrupt as gently caress and no one did anything. Likewise Clinton.

And of course not enough people went and actually voted. Hopefully now they realise how bad their system is and will be motivated to fix it.

Since the republicans are in charge and get to name the Supreme Court judges. The fix will be to repeal large sections of the voting rights act.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

Ghostlight posted:

Surprising opinions coming from "truther".
Wow Ghosts can use keyboards?!

Varkk posted:

Since the republicans are in charge and get to name the Supreme Court judges. The fix will be to repeal large sections of the voting rights act.
It'll probably encourage a lot more Dems to get out and vote or campaign or work harder against supression. The voter turnout was pretty bad and it's definitely not the first time voter apathy has resulted in a terrible result.

truther fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 9, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Does this mean the tppa is dead in the water?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If he follows through, yes. Will he? The gently caress knows.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It was dead regardless. Clinton was going to kill at as well, only through not being able to get it past the congress rather than because it was "A bad deal. A very bad deal".

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Hey in positive news, NZ is meant to trend left when the US lurches to the right. That's what I'm going to tell myself, anyway.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It doesn't matter which way you steer on the road into Hell.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
https://twitter.com/TaikaWaititi/status/796286424634920961

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

bobbilljim posted:

Whats the best thing that could happen here? I'm thinking US dollar tanks so I can get good poo poo on amazon for cheap, then they split america into 2 bits, all middle bit and Alaska can be USA, the sides can be like part of canada or something. Then build a big wall around it

I get paid in US dollars :(

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

It was dead regardless. Clinton was going to kill at as well, only through not being able to get it past the congress rather than because it was "A bad deal. A very bad deal".

I'm pretty sure she's also on record saying that she would kill the TPPA during campaigning.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Vandalseed posted:

Two TV channels? Bullied for my accent, and that I didn't want to play sport? , it sucked.

If it helps, I had the same problem. And I was born here.

Admittedly, as a 1st gen kiwi.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I learned to speak in the States and didn't lose the twang until my 20s, so ditto.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Yeah, this'll drive NZ a lot closer to China, both politically and financially. Look forward to the surge in NZF support when Winston realises that we're being nice to Asians and kicks up a huge fuss.

How could this possibly have happened, say the New Zealand media, unquestioningly reporting everything Winston Peter says or does.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

WarpedNaba posted:

If it helps, I had the same problem. And I was born here.

Admittedly, as a 1st gen kiwi.

Likewise, although we had more channels by the time I was born. I still speak in an inexplicable RP, which was not fun growing up but made me well suited for my current call centre job! If it weren't for my general social awkwardness and mild dislike of phones, that is :smith:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'm social in bursts - I'm abnormally gregarious for an accountant, but I collapse on weekends.

It does help, though. I've basically been shuffled into every leadership position there is - just once, I'd like to be one of the throng.

It, uh, doesn't help with the social life, though. Of which I currently don't have any because all of my mates left the country :argh:

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

How could this possibly have happened, say the New Zealand media, unquestioningly reporting everything Winston Peter says or does.

I dunno, Steven Fry made a pretty good point about our politicians and media: They serve us, they serve the filth. It's rather hard to have standards when that's how you make your livings

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 10, 2016

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

I'm pretty sure she's also on record saying that she would kill the TPPA during campaigning.

The inside view was that she was going to re-present it with a few minor changes so she could stay true to her word. That's why she kept saying that she didn't like the final deal, rather than saying she wouldn't pass TPPA

But unless Obama manages to push it through in the lame duck period, it ain't happening now.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Jacobin posted:

Hillary was going to be elected like 538 was saying etc. etc.

538 said that Trump had a 30% chance to win!

It was all the other buggers that had 95%+ for Hillary that lead everyone astray.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I saw an average of about a 90% win.

Guess statistics is a bitch.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

WarpedNaba posted:

I saw an average of about a 90% win.

Guess statistics is a bitch.

And of course getting an accurate history of guesses is fuckin' impossible because now every pundit under the sun is saying that it was always obviously gonna be Trump just like they were always saying

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

gently caress this wobbly Earth.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
It's weird feeling an earthquake in Auckland

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

stay safe guys :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

gently caress yeah i love living in rickety as gently caress upstairs flats (holy poo poo that was terrifying)

also rip my big jar of cumin :(

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Is Cuba street still standing?

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Are things that serious in Wellington??

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
It was long af. Felt worse than the ones welly had a couple of years back 😬

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

gently caress yeah i love living in rickety as gently caress upstairs flats (holy poo poo that was terrifying)

also rip my big jar of cumin :(

being downstairs isnt much better.

gently caress that first one lasted a long time.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

The Schwa posted:

Are things that serious in Wellington??

Pretty sure we're okay but it felt big enough here to get me under the doorframe. Was pretty seriously loving concerned for Chch when I heard it was down south but it sounds like it's okay down there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macropiper
Feb 11, 2007

Pillbug
Still feeling aftershocks in Wellington, as I type this even. Sleeping tonight seems unlikely.

Heck, it is hard to tell if I am shaking or the ground is shaking sometimes.

• Locked thread