Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ciaphas posted:

(e) Dr Bryson's lab is the start of one of the DLC, right?

Yeah, Leviathan, but it doesn't lock you into it and you can do the missions whenever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Eej posted:

Still cooler than the Reaper story we got which was basically the same thing as Star Control 3, itself not a very good game.

Oh, gently caress me, it really is. Uggggggh!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Milky Moor posted:

also gurren lagan... was the other thing that we didn't get.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Steve2911 posted:

Inquisition is an ok game crammed into a terrible one. I really, really don't want that for Mass Effect.

I mostly hope I don't have to hold down the right mouse button for the entire game like in Inquisition.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Kibayasu posted:

Bartender Asari mentioned at one point that everyone should be developing their own mass relays so I want to say that the theory is known but building them, especially on the scale of the reaper-built relays, is just too much effort.
Also presumably the Relays would stop working once ME3 ended, also anyone with any kind of "reaper" tech based augmentation.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah it's a reference I don't bring up very often because Star Control 3 is a very depressing game to remember or think about.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If your brain had already been destroyed through years of MMOs, as mine was when Inquisition was released, then the collectathon aspects probably didn't bother you as much. In fact, it probably felt deeply satisfying to X out all those glowing orange pyramids on the world map. And there were thousands.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

If your brain had already been destroyed through years of MMOs, as mine was when Inquisition was released, then the collectathon aspects probably didn't bother you as much. In fact, it probably felt deeply satisfying to X out all those glowing orange pyramids on the world map. And there were thousands.

Or any Ubisoft game made in the last seven years or so. I don't get why game devs keep packing more and more collectible bullshit into their games. I'm not sure I've ever spoken to someone who actually enjoys collections. It's always a refrain of "I don't enjoy it, but my completionist ODC won't let me ignore all that poo poo on my mini-map!"

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I feel a vague sense of satisfaction seeing all that poo poo cleared off, but I dunno if I'd consider that actual enjoyment. It's hard to explain. It's simultaneously an annoying necessity and something that triggers VERY SLIGHTLY the pleasure centers of my brain.

Needless to say I'm a total goddamn sucker for Ubisoft collectathon games.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Skippy McPants posted:

Or any Ubisoft game made in the last seven years or so. I don't get why game devs keep packing more and more collectible bullshit into their games. I'm not sure I've ever spoken to someone who actually enjoys collections. It's always a refrain of "I don't enjoy it, but my completionist ODC won't let me ignore all that poo poo on my mini-map!"

It's the worst thing in RPGs. It started out where if you'd collect all these things you'd get some kind of upgrade or a new item or it would unlock a quest. Now it's just collect them so it says 10/10 instead of 3/10.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So with 4 ships, it's obvious that you will have to sacrifice one during the course of the game and the rest of the species will not be happy. Who will you guys choose to destroy?

I honestly want more of ME2 story with the refined battles of ME3. I hated the exploration of 1.

As for DA:I, I just liked my team (Apart from Solas and Blackwall) and adding people to the inquisition. Hated the pointless exploration and having to collect every loving rock and flower. If I am leading an army, why the gently caress is it my job to grab rocks? Why can't any of my plebs go and grab them without having to allocate war table time? Man that still pisses me off.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Definitely the Asari. I don't trust those mind controlling tentacle heads.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I mostly hope I don't have to hold down the right mouse button for the entire game like in Inquisition.

Ok never played DAI but I just realized my #1 hope for Andromeda is one or both of faster movespeed/unlimited sprint when in non-combat areas

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
My number one hope for Mass Effect 4 is getting to gently caress all the alien species this time

All of them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zzulu posted:

My number one hope for Mass Effect 4 is getting to gently caress all the alien species this time

All of them.

At the same time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The main crisis of the game is the PC's struggle with feelings of jealousy in their open alien relationship.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I've been playing the trilogy recently and I made it up to ME3 yesterday. The game feels really good to play at a mechanical level, but everything else feels like a huge step down from ME2. The writing out of the gate is just so hackneyed and overdramatic. ME2 in comparison felt like events had gravity, people didn't spend too much time talking about everything and moping and being dramtic, even though everyone knew they might die. ME3 is just so... maudlin I guess? Holy poo poo the dreams! I forgot about the dreams! Everyone talks way too much. I find conversations go on too long without my input and Shepherd just kind of is who he is without my input. ME2 handled the talk/gameplay ratio really well. Missions didn't go on too long and everything was just really snappy.

At least the gameplay really shines in Multiplayer!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Mass Effect 3 is maybe the most uneven game I've ever played. It starts out weak and overdramatic as you said, has some genuinely great moments toward the middle, and then just kind of falls off a cliff past Thessia. There's a lot to like and also a lot of stuff to dislike and that's why you get 10,000 word treatises about this game.

ME2 by contrast is maybe the most perfectly paced game of all time, there's not a single section that overstays its welcome. As long as you cheat yourself to 999999 of each resource at the beginning, but who doesn't do that nowadays.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Levantine posted:

I've been playing the trilogy recently and I made it up to ME3 yesterday. The game feels really good to play at a mechanical level, but everything else feels like a huge step down from ME2. The writing out of the gate is just so hackneyed and overdramatic. ME2 in comparison felt like events had gravity, people didn't spend too much time talking about everything and moping and being dramtic, even though everyone knew they might die. ME3 is just so... maudlin I guess? Holy poo poo the dreams! I forgot about the dreams! Everyone talks way too much. I find conversations go on too long without my input and Shepherd just kind of is who he is without my input. ME2 handled the talk/gameplay ratio really well. Missions didn't go on too long and everything was just really snappy.

At least the gameplay really shines in Multiplayer!

Yeah. There are a whole lot of places in ME3 where the earlier games would have a choice, even just a fake dialogue choice, but ME3 just has Shepard say a thing. There's a few awkward points where it feels like conversations were cut down, too, and fairly late in the development process.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah. There are a whole lot of places in ME3 where the earlier games would have a choice, even just a fake dialogue choice, but ME3 just has Shepard say a thing. There's a few awkward points where it feels like conversations were cut down, too, and fairly late in the development process.

I'm sure part of this was cut development time, but I also think a fair chunk of it was simply consequence-bloat from the earlier two games. They were so committed to having your choices matter that nearly every single scene has a massive number permutations based on all the things your might or might not have done up to that point. Trying to arrange what must have been a titanic tangle of dialogue and scripting trees into something that would look even remotely consistent to the player across all of Shepard's potential realities was probably a design nightmare.

Edit: Like, in the first game it's easy enough to have three different dialogues that lead to slightly varied outcomes because you're starting from a blank slate. But in ME 3 you might already have [omething like six different versions of a scene queued up before it even starts based on actions taken earlier in the series. Hell, you might even be talking with one of a few different people depending on who's alive or dead. Trying to take those already branching paths and layer on exponentially more variables sounds pretty drat daunting.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 13, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm sure part of this was cut development time, but I also think a fair chunk of it was simply consequence-bloat from the earlier two games. They were so committed to having your choices matter that nearly every single scene has a massive number permutations based on all the things your might or might not have done up to that point. Trying to arrange what must have been a titanic tangle of dialogue and scripting trees into something that would look even remotely consistent to the player across all of Shepard's potential realities was probably a design nightmare.

That's probably why they're saying that any future games will have all new protagonists are Androme like the Dragon Age games. It's got to be so much less hassle than taking one person through all games.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Geostomp posted:

That's probably why they're saying that any future games will have all new protagonists are Androme like the Dragon Age games. It's got to be so much less hassle than taking one person through all games.

I don't blame them, and I wonder if they fully grasped what they were getting themselves into when they started on Mass Effect. I mean, ending aside it is kind of incredible that ME 3 holds together at all under the creaking weight of all the obligations is has to honor. Take Padok Wiks, a neat character with his own quirks, whom a ton of people never encountered. But he still had to be there, ready and waiting in the wings for anyone who doesn't have Modrin on deck. That holds true for drat near every character and scene in the game, and while it doesn't require a ton of extra assets, the dialogue still needs to be written and recorded, and someone still has to go in and set up all those scenes and make sure they fit together without exploding.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Another one of the unfortunate things about ME3 is that its most interesting permutations are borne out of decisions that very few players would have logically made from the first two games.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The writing and to some extent gameplay took an absolute nosedive from base ME2 to the Shadow Broker DLC, and ME3 being bad was sort of easy to see coming because of that. The tone was all over the place, and the quips and shadow broker emails were not funny.

As well as being tonally consistent, it would be nice if Andromeda wouldn't have the same fuckin sound bugs as Bioware's last few games have tended to have on my PC, some of which are fixable (like ME3) and some of which aren't, making the game totally unplayable (hello DA:I).

CasualTR
Apr 22, 2016

My Hunk of Silicon is better than your Hunk of Silicon

exquisite tea posted:

Another one of the unfortunate things about ME3 is that its most interesting permutations are borne out of decisions that very few players would have logically made from the first two games.

I also hated the hidden background checks on decisions that limited what choices I could make in ME3 based on less than obvious reasons.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect 3 is maybe the most uneven game I've ever played. It starts out weak and overdramatic as you said, has some genuinely great moments toward the middle, and then just kind of falls off a cliff past Thessia. There's a lot to like and also a lot of stuff to dislike and that's why you get 10,000 word treatises about this game.

ME2 by contrast is maybe the most perfectly paced game of all time, there's not a single section that overstays its welcome. As long as you cheat yourself to 999999 of each resource at the beginning, but who doesn't do that nowadays.

Yeah, i realize it's unfair to compare much of anything to ME2 but drat, way to kill the buzz, Bioware. ME2 is easily one of the best games of its generation and like you said, about as perfectly paced as a game can be.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Levantine posted:

Yeah, i realize it's unfair to compare much of anything to ME2 but drat, way to kill the buzz, Bioware. ME2 is easily one of the best games of its generation and like you said, about as perfectly paced as a game can be.

Intentional or not, ME 2 really hit on a goldmine of an idea with its core conceit. By making it primarily about recruiting and developing your team, Bioware got to go hog wild on a bunch of cool set pieces and play into heavily into the NPC focus they put on most of their games. They really ought to do stories that let them push the supporting cast to the forefront since that's where a lot of their writing and design effort gets spent, and it's also what their fans tend to react most favorably to.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mazerunner posted:

also gurren lagan... was the other thing that we didn't get.

And the ending of Gurren Lagann is basically "Well of course we'll work to prevent the apocalypse now that you've loving explained it to us rather than force us to live in fear for our lives from an uncaring enemy designed to inflict maximum terror."

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kurieg posted:

And the ending of Gurren Lagann is basically "Well of course we'll work to prevent the apocalypse now that you've loving explained it to us rather than force us to live in fear for our lives from an uncaring enemy designed to inflict maximum terror."

Somehow ancient forces seem to think that genocidal warfare is just more logical than trying to explain things.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Arcsquad12 posted:

Origins still has the standard bioware problem of "lovely final dungeon"

Granted the only bioware games I've played are the mass effect ones and Jade empire but the ending sequences in both ME1 and 2 were highlights of the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My PC at the time was barely able to handle all the dwarves and mages running around at the end of Origins, and I don't think I actually ever ended up beating the archdemon. My savefile on that game is like 100 hours and a good 40 of them were probably spent doing that whole endless Redcliffe -> Mage Tower -> Fade -> Mage Tower -> Temple of Andraste -> Back to Redcliffe sequence.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I hope they rip off ME1s soundtrack wholesale. I want space opera 80s synths, long reeeeeeuuuuureeeeeeerrooouuuuu as the camera slowly pans across a planet to the ship in orbit. Every aesthetic and musical detail in ME1 was so good, and ME 2 and 3 just kinda dropped the ball with generic tech and techno music.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

OxMan posted:

I hope they rip off ME1s soundtrack wholesale. I want space opera 80s synths, long reeeeeeuuuuureeeeeeerrooouuuuu as the camera slowly pans across a planet to the ship in orbit. Every aesthetic and musical detail in ME1 was so good, and ME 2 and 3 just kinda dropped the ball with generic tech and techno music.

Agreed completely, ME1's soundtrack was perfect.That being said I don't know if it would have fit the tone of the sequels.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Granted the only bioware games I've played are the mass effect ones and Jade empire but the ending sequences in both ME1 and 2 were highlights of the game.

Mass effect 1 and 2 seem better due to their presentation, but in the end it boils down to "fight through waves of trash on star forge/citadel/collector base/capital city/kirkwall/london" before taking on a lame boss encounter.

Mass effect 2 does it best due to your loyalty mechanic playing into the ending, but even it has some hitches (why should garrus die from closing a door because I didn't help him find sidonus? Get your head down!)

ME2 is their most balanced game between story and game play but it's main plot is still pretty stupid. Thankfully most of the loyalty missions are so drat good it doesn't matter as much.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Presentation doesn't seem important, it IS important. You can boil down one hundred percent of these games to "walk through an area killing guys" if you're so inclined

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Endings are not one of Bioware's strengths. Even their best final chapters tend to be uneven in terms of story and design. ME 2 is probably the best they've done in that regard, though you could maybe make a case for BG 1 or 2.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
ME1 is a really neat kind of ambitious mess and I like it despite it's weird floaty gameplay. ME2 is kind of the perfect game and I can't find much to complain about. ME3 has some really impressive visual set pieces but squanders them with a really mediocre plot.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Presentation doesn't seem important, it IS important. You can boil down one hundred percent of these games to "walk through an area killing guys" if you're so inclined

Also if you didn't help Garrus find sidonis you're retarded and played the game wrong. Hope this helps.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Skippy McPants posted:

Endings are not one of Bioware's strengths. Even their best final chapters tend to be uneven in terms of story and design. ME 2 is probably the best they've done in that regard, though you could maybe make a case for BG 1 or 2.

Say what you will about Baldur's Gate having only two endings, but at least they were both satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mass Effect 2 is also fun to play though. While I found the run up the Citadel spine visually interesting, it still came off as a slog due to ME1's wonky combat.