Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

Bickering about the primary endlessly while the world burns around us is silly. If you have a point like "She should have done X" or "Bernie appeals to Y" that's welcome discussion. What I think Lastgirl wants to avoid is "I told you so" spam which gets us nowhere.

yea everyone please stop talking about the overwheming factor contributing to an electoral rout favoring an isolationist orange warthog to rule the last superpower on earth with no empowered opposition in the legislature or courts during a historically and internationally critical period of social, martial, and ecological realignment

Let Us Instead Talk About Why Black People DIdin't Vote More

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Peel posted:

theory: lena dunham, or whichever celebrity you dislike who endorsed clinton, had a neglibile effect on the election or a slightly positive effect among a demographic you aren't part of, while nobody else cared, and is a topic somehow even more pointless than relitigating the primary

theory: every single hollywood shill that publicly laughed at the notion that trump could be president actively harmed the clinton campaign by creating a larger and larger echo chamber

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
ellison is formally announcing his candidacy monday, right?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Correct

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

Killer Mike believes a lot of very nebulous stuff that while is mostly harmless could become a problem later on. This isn't me saying "he's fuckin garbo throw him out" it's me saying that recognizing your surrogates flaws and being prepared to deal with them is the smart way of going about things. It's smearing if you go public with it in an attempt to discredit him. Which sounds like something the other campaign might do no?

Surrogates are your hand reaching out to the community. You need to tailor them for what you want to accomplish. Where the HRC campaign hosed up was keeping coordination at arms reach which led to disorganization and mixed messages. That and sending celebrities to deliver political messages.

Kid, what you think is nebulous stuff is actually 100% true. Liberals like to rag on "Reagan" being a conspiracy ridden kookfest, but those conspiracies all actually happened. The CIA actually helped smuggle cocaine into the United States so they could use black money to fund weapons for the Contras. The Reagan administration lied about Ghaddafi being behind the Lockerbie Bombings, despite every European intelligence agency saying it was Syria. Both interventions in Libya were predicated on lies. It was all the truth, and a refusal to hear it out is part of why you lost. You all shut off your availability to anyone who contradicted your own narrow worldview, and comforted yourselves with convenient narratives.

You keep bringing up your concerns about Killer Mike's opinions on vaccines, when Donald J. Trump thinks vaccines might have given Barron autism. AND NOW HE'S PRESIDENT-ELECT. A lot of poo poo doesn't matter nearly as much as you think it does, because it was all trivial compared to peoples' real problems.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
If Reid, the only guy who actually seems to understand how to win House and Senate races, is behind us then I think we might have a shot.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Fiction posted:

If Reid, the only guy who actually seems to understand how to win House and Senate races, is behind us then I think we might have a shot.

im hopeful but i still think its important to go and actually be active along w shitposting about it

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Killer Mike: I watched a documentary
Anti-Vaxxers: I gave my kid a bleach enema
SA Liberals: I can't tell these two apart! I got double vision here!

Venom Snake posted:

Did you read what I just said.
Why are you laughing off his concern over us drone bombing brown people

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Hrmm.

This civil war is starting to look more like an unconditional surrender. Not surprised about Reid though, he always seemed like the kind of guy who gets it, and NV was the one bright spot of this election.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly Id just cut the celebrity outreach crap completely and focus on using local issue advocates and community leaders as surrogates. During the campaign the most successful surrogates were the people who the local community knew and identified with such as pastors, congressmen/women, and high profile activists. When using celebs your run the danger of coming off as "mmmm this person is [insert minority here] obviously they will love him!" on top of the fact celebs lead dumb scandal filled lives. Generals and Admirals were dreadfully mismanaged for the large impact they had. People signing a letter saying they like you means nothing. Them going out and talking means a lot.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
a very large portion of what was said in support of hillary and condemnation of bernie was actually untrue horseshit that ultimately cost the election and while i respect that y'all want the thread to be more things than just saying that alone, if you don't create space to recognize the quite literally MAGNIFICENT and multilayered inept, cack-handed failure of Certain Folk to understand the community in which they live then its just idle chat about why blacks, latinos, and women didn't break for a lady who won the primary someho--oh wait we're not talking about that.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

In the end, all that hollywood support could not stand to topple the massive power Morning Joe wields.

Bow down to your king-maker

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot
I drink the tears of the usurpers.

Those who dared to attempt some type of action.

Let me now shout to the mountain tops, l am reborn and made perfect in my inaction.

It has served my goals well. Not much happening to me and the relaxing of my shoulders as I realize my Mommy's doppelgänger won't be able to tell me to pick up my toys or clean my room.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
i will never write these words again in my entire life, but dear god do i mean every letter right now: I REALLY WANT TO SEE FISHMECH POST AGAIN

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

a very large portion of what was said in support of hillary and condemnation of bernie was actually untrue horseshit that ultimately cost the election and while i respect that y'all want the thread to be more things than just saying that alone, if you don't create space to recognize the quite literally MAGNIFICENT and multilayered inept, cack-handed failure of Certain Folk to understand the community in which they live then its just idle chat about why blacks, latinos, and women didn't break for a lady who won the primary someho--oh wait we're not talking about that.

https://twitter.com/bradanders79/status/797613013096419329

Willie Tomg posted:

i will never write these words again in my entire life, but dear god do i mean every letter right now: I REALLY WANT TO SEE FISHMECH POST AGAIN
Love how Fishmech donated $5 to RAINN

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

Somewhere, a monkey's paw may be curling. drat you.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Kid, what you think is nebulous stuff is actually 100% true. Liberals like to rag on "Reagan" being a conspiracy ridden kookfest, but those conspiracies all actually happened. The CIA actually helped smuggle cocaine into the United States so they could use black money to fund weapons for the Contras. The Reagan administration lied about Ghaddafi being behind the Lockerbie Bombings, despite every European intelligence agency saying it was Syria. Both interventions in Libya were predicated on lies. It was all the truth, and a refusal to hear it out is part of why you lost. You all shut off your availability to anyone who contradicted your own narrow worldview, and comforted yourselves with convenient narratives.

lmao dude my dad literally worked in the Reagan white house. trust me I know he was a real shitbag. I was not talking about his Reagan song, but thanks for assuming malice on my part again.

Willie Tomg posted:

yea everyone please stop talking about the overwheming factor contributing to an electoral rout favoring an isolationist orange warthog to rule the last superpower on earth with no empowered opposition in the legislature or courts during a historically and internationally critical period of social, martial, and ecological realignment

Let Us Instead Talk About Why Black People DIdin't Vote More

As seen up thread the DNC Est is already in full surrender. NV, FL, NY, VA are on board and that means 99% chance Keith gets the job. That's why I want to move past the primaries.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Why are you laughing off his concern over us drone bombing brown people

I'm not

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Willie Tomg posted:

"won" the "primary" :confuoot:

remember lotsa lollin re: how disorganized the GOP was because Jeb! couldn't browbeat everyone but Lincoln Chafee 2 other white cucks and maple marx grandpa out of the race before it even started

p crazy that there was a problem ginning up enthusiasm for a candidate who needed to force ppl not to play the primaries in order for her to win them,, imo

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Killer Mike is dumb but right.
Bernie was right.
Marx was right.
Lucifer was right.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

I dunno I think comparing a dude who took a picture of himself holding a lovely documentary to Henry Goddamn Kissinger is textbook disingenuous

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyway celebrity chat is stupid. Killer Mike is loving irrelevant right now unless he runs for office.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I freely admit that I was salty as gently caress all through the general about the treatment of Sanders and Sanderistas during the primary, and the clintonites not receiving their promised reward has been a light in the Trumpian darkness for me

I also know it will be extremely fleeting solace whereas Trump isn't going anywhere for four years so if we could start being constructive that'd be a good idea

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

imo

https://twitter.com/ckilpatrick/status/797170964886945792

save your fighting energy for the last stand neoliberals

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

temple posted:

Bernie was right.
Marx was right.
Lucifer was right.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Segmentation Fault posted:

I dunno I think comparing a dude who took a picture of himself holding a lovely documentary to Henry Goddamn Kissinger is textbook disingenuous

~I was not comparing anyone to anyone~

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Okay now that I got my post-election told-you-sos out I'll do the neoliberal thing and compare politics to pop culture

Zikan posted:

imo

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

gain.

As seen up thread the DNC Est is already in full surrender. NV, FL, NY, VA are on board and that means 99% chance Keith gets the job. That's why I want to move past the primaries.

oh sweet, a Pretty Okay dude might be helming a shipwreck now that the rats have fled it for six figure consulting gigs. nobody gives a hot gay gently caress. the democrats will not "move past" this problem until actually-progressive people with acutally-progressive opinions meaningfully control a single aspect of government.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

lmao dude my dad literally worked in the Reagan white house. trust me I know he was a real shitbag. I was not talking about his Reagan song, but thanks for assuming malice on my part again.

You and your family are all a part of the problem. Your dad is a tool. You're so expertly conditioned by the DC bubble that you can't even tell when I'm not addressing you directly, because you identify so thoroughly with the class I was talking about.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hoping this could help Keith Ellison bring back some of the more dug-in Hillary supporters. Free for him to use.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willie Tomg posted:

oh sweet, a Pretty Okay dude might be helming a shipwreck now that the rats have fled it for six figure consulting gigs. nobody gives a hot gay gently caress. the democrats will not "move past" this problem until actually-progressive people with acutally-progressive opinions meaningfully control a single aspect of government.

I don't even know who you are arguing with right now. It's only a shipwreck if we make no attempt to rebuild. Now is the time to define who the democrats are

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Well having a dyed in the wool progressive as DNC chair would be a good start. Most certainly not the end, but it's the easiest fight to fight right now.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

temple posted:

Bernie was right.
Marx was right.
Lucifer was right.

Lol go watch the interview with Bernie and Mike before you say he's dumb. The man is not dumb. He may hold a few dumb positions (like everybody) but overall that was one of the most apt and fruitful conversations of this whole shitshow election. The DNC should be taking notes from that interview if they want to even try to appeal to the large portion of America that voted for Obama and stayed home for clinton.

https://youtu.be/LCnrQZbqIQU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bump_fn posted:

ellison is formally announcing his candidacy monday, right?

On Maddow, actually. She hinted that someone will be doing it, he said he'll decide by monday, so unless it's someone else, it's him.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

I suspect it's faster and easier for progressives to take over a party that already has some real infrastructure and operating apparatus to deliver on their beliefs, than trying to build one from scratch.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

one way for such people to gain control of aspects of government might be through winning elections, such as can be accomplished by a political party, with a person or people running it

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
BTW my local DSC's next meeting is actually tomorrow and I'm going to try to go and see how the wind is blowing. You should all look into doing the same

Fiction has issued a correction as of 17:45 on Nov 13, 2016

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Zikan posted:

imo

i agree with this tweet

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

Killer Mike is loving irrelevant right now unless he runs for office.

You're always so close to getting it...

Nobody is irrelevant. Everything matters.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You and your family are all a part of the problem. Your dad is a tool. You're so expertly conditioned by the DC bubble that you can't even tell when I'm not addressing you directly, because you identify so thoroughly with the class I was talking about.

Maybe that's why I'm here and me and my family are trying to unfuck things now? Perhaps it's because there has been a revelation of sorts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

Maybe that's why I'm here and me and my family are trying to unfuck things now? Perhaps it's because there has been a revelation of sorts?

Then take your licks when they come, because you're still a long way from getting what happened.

• Locked thread