Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Princess Di posted:

I drink the tears of the usurpers.

Those who dared to attempt some type of action.

Let me now shout to the mountain tops, l am reborn and made perfect in my inaction.

It has served my goals well. Not much happening to me and the relaxing of my shoulders as I realize my Mommy's doppelgänger won't be able to tell me to pick up my toys or clean my room.
:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Venom Snake posted:

Maybe that's why I'm here and me and my family are trying to unfuck things now? Perhaps it's because there has been a revelation of sorts?

is it a revelation? or is it a bunch of hacks desperately trying to keep their jobs when they see which way the wind is blowing

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Terror Sweat posted:

is it a revelation? or is it a bunch of hacks desperately trying to keep their jobs when they see which way the wind is blowing

it can be both and that's fine

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Harry Reid endorses Keith Ellison? :vince:

:bernin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Terror Sweat posted:

So we shouldn't try to convince other people to see it our way? Is that it?

You have to realize that yes, we need to listen to the people down low, but completely ignoring the people who have experience is also a losing proposition.

e: It's why I'm saying we should bring back Howard Dean into some sort of strategy role. He orchestrated 2006 and 2008, then stepped down.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
also lol if you don't think black people have completely valid reasons to be distrusting of the gov't re: healthcare/vaccines.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

iospace posted:

So we shouldn't try to convince other people to see it our way? Is that it?

You have to realize that yes, we need to listen to the people down low, but completely ignoring the people who have experience is also a losing proposition.

e: It's why I'm saying we should bring back Howard Dean into some sort of strategy role. He orchestrated 2006 and 2008, then stepped down.

I could do with this because funding~

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

you could have dean as a cochair

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Zikan posted:

imo

https://twitter.com/ckilpatrick/status/797170964886945792

save your fighting energy for the last stand neoliberals

i strongly suspect based on past events that there are more last-stand neoliberals than there are DNC chairs.

DWS was not the problem, the problem was a bunch of clueless motherfuckers looking at her and going "yep, everything here is fine and good and all these people screaming otherwise are just being excessively negative, haters gonna hate lol" while cashing checks working in what was nominally a political position and what is actually just graft. if it weren't for those people DWS would not have been a problem.

ellison heading the DNC is to structural reform like lena dunham crying and rocking back and forth in the fetal position under the showerhead is to personal political evolution: a good start on the road to where we need to be, but not really addressing the fundamental issue which is that the whole thing is terrible and likely requires Robocop-levels of invasive surgery.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Zikan posted:

you could have dean as a cochair

*sucks air through teeth*

well ill be leaving this thread for a while

[puts on hazmat suit and seals you all in within the reactor] :unsmigghh:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I mean I don't loving want that dont get me wrong

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

iospace posted:

he stepped down into a pharma lobbying position and is a nontrivial reason why the ACA is dog trash lmao

im a vermonter who was proud to write the man in for my first dem primary but jesus christ he's toxic today.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

bump_fn posted:

it can be both and that's fine

no it isnt, the dnc needs passion, not a bunch of bottom feeders and yes men

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Terror Sweat posted:

no it isnt, the dnc needs passion, not a bunch of bottom feeders and yes men

i'm talking about people who have been in politics and know how the sausage gets made but care and want the dems to move in the correct direction.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Well then visit your drat local meetings. Don't just shitpost on twitter about it

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
wtf happened to the post limit

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Fiction posted:

Well then visit your drat local meetings. Don't just shitpost on twitter about it

extremely this

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Willie Tomg posted:

he stepped down into a pharma lobbying position and is a nontrivial reason why the ACA is dog trash lmao

im a vermonter who was proud to write the man in for my first dem primary but jesus christ he's toxic today.

And if you saw all my other posts about Dean, I say, "Keep him strategy only." Right now, there needs to be three things:

1. A clear policy direction. Ellison can deliver this.
2. A clear, effective strategy. Dean can help here, and listen to Bill Clinton on it.
3. Money. We have a massive warchest left over. As much as "OH, WE NEED MONEY OUT OF POLITICS", we still need some money to get poo poo done. Do we need as much money as we did this year? gently caress no, but we do need it.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

bump_fn posted:

i'm talking about people who have been in politics and know how the sausage gets made but care and want the dems to move in the correct direction.

:hai:

the reality of the situation is

you need some political connections and political capital to grease the axle

so some of those neolibs, you can knee cap them but make sure the money flows until there's complete assimilation and independence that the progressives actually seize that connection and political capital to be legitimate enough for people to flock to THEM.

why else is schumer endorsing? dude is trying to hide when heads roll

and reid dgaf now :allears:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
"the people with experience" created and trusted a mathematical algorithm called Ada, named after Ada King, Countess of Lovelace and arguably one of the first computer programmers ever as so befitted Her Historic Candidacy.

of course she had a crippling gambling problem and her first most notable program was a gambling algorithm on a babbage machine she used in an otherwise all-male gambling syndicate, the program didn't work because it was fed faulty data and she almost destroyed her family. she had several extramarital affairs and as part of a deal with one of her almost-certainly-lovers she had to delete burn her illicit correspondence with him. y'know maybe if the people with experience thought about it at all that was perhaps not the best name to choose, considering the context, but i guess Ada has a better ring to it than idk Greta or whatever. they have experience in marketing, you see.

meanwhile the team with no experience won the presidency despite being awful in every respect. considering what experience gets us i'm okay with maybe grassroots shooting from the hip for 4-8 years.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lastgirl posted:

and reid dgaf now :allears:

When has Reid ever given a gently caress? :unsmigghh:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Willie Tomg posted:

"the people with experience" created and trusted a mathematical algorithm called Ada, named after Ada King, Countess of Lovelace and arguably one of the first computer programmers ever as so befitted Her Historic Candidacy.

of course she had a crippling gambling problem and her first most notable program was a gambling algorithm on a babbage machine she used in an otherwise all-male gambling syndicate, the program didn't work because it was fed faulty data and she almost destroyed her family. she had several extramarital affairs and as part of a deal with one of her almost-certainly-lovers she had to delete burn her illicit correspondence with him. y'know maybe if the people with experience thought about it at all that was perhaps not the best name to choose, considering the context, but i guess Ada has a better ring to it than idk Greta or whatever. they have experience in marketing, you see.

meanwhile the team with no experience won the presidency despite being awful in every respect. considering what experience gets us i'm okay with maybe grassroots shooting from the hip for 4-8 years.

then actually get involved

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

iospace posted:

2. A clear, effective strategy. Dean can help here, and listen to Bill Clinton on it.

horseshit. :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
just a reminder that howard dean, a vermont superdelegate, unapologetically voted for hillary early on in the process when vermont went > 85% to bernie. when asked why on twitter, he replied condescendingly.

howard dean also went on air to disrespect bernie and his single payer plan even though in the past dean had been supportive of single payer
https://theintercept.com/2016/01/14...-dean-lobbyist/

howard dean is an establishment schill and should not have your support

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

comedyblissoption posted:

just a reminder that howard dean, a vermont superdelegate, unapologetically voted for hillary early on in the process when vermont went > 85% to bernie. when asked why on twitter, he replied condescendingly.

howard dean also went on air to disrespect bernie and his single payer plan even though in the past dean had been supportive of single payer

no one wants him as chair, but if he could help reproduce his 2005 strategy based on progressive motives that would be good

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bump_fn posted:

no one wants him as chair, but if he could help reproduce his 2005 strategy based on progressive motives that would be good

This is pretty much my view. I don't want Dean touching policy. I want him running strategy.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Now I really don't understand the Democratic party its values its principles excetera excetera but why was the dean scream so apocalyptic for Howard Dean?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Did it make him seem Reckless and angry?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Unprincipled fucks are bad at the head of things but directing their schmoozing to work for good causes is better than burning everything down with the new movement or whatever trying to get on its feet. It won't be as ideologically pure but it's important to hit the ground running with existing resources to get early victories and legitimatize the new direction.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

comedyblissoption posted:

also remember when he said trump had a coke problem lol

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Baloogan posted:

Now I really don't understand the Democratic party its values its principles excetera excetera but why was the dean scream so apocalyptic for Howard Dean?

It made him look stupid.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Unprincipled fucks are bad at the head of things but directing their schmoozing to work for good causes is better than burning everything down with the new movement or whatever trying to get on its feet. It won't be as ideologically pure but it's important to hit the ground running with existing resources to get early victories and legitimatize the new direction.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

This is pretty much my view. I don't want Dean touching policy. I want him running strategy.

Yeah, I'd be on board with this as well.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Baloogan posted:

He was that cycle's Bernie so everyone climbed to something to make him look dumb and bad so he would go away.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

This.

bing bong bing

SO SIMPLE

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Kithkar posted:

It made him look stupid.

actually the dean scream owned :o:

my controversial opinion

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Baloogan posted:

the dean scream actually wasn't what killed him. it was this:

quote:

Either way, Dean is seen as having deviated from the narrow parameters in which Israel can be discussed in American politics. That threatens to slow his momentum, dampen his fundraising and tarnish his political reputation.

Dean’s Israel troubles began at a Sept. 3 campaign event in Santa Fe, N.M. When it comes to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, he said that day, “It’s not our place to take sides.” Then, on Sept. 9, he told the Washington Post that America should be “evenhanded” in its approach to the region.

The media and the Democratic establishment reacted as if Dean had called Yasser Arafat a man of peace. On Sept. 10, 34 Democratic members of Congress, including House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, wrote Dean an open letter. “American foreign policy has been — and must continue to be — based on unequivocal support for Israel’s right to exist and to be free from terror …” they wrote. “It is unacceptable for the U.S. to be ‘evenhanded’ on these fundamental issues … This is not a time to be sending mixed messages; on the contrary, in these difficult times we must reaffirm our unyielding commitment to Israel’s survival and raise our voices against all forms of terrorism and incitement.”

The Israeli newspaper Ha’aretz reported that Dean had badly damaged his own campaign. “Sources in the Jewish community say that Dean has wrecked his chances of getting significant contributions from Jews …” the paper wrote. “Many believe Dean’s statement will drive more Jews toward Lieberman and Kerry, enabling Kerry to take the lead again.”

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
2004 was a simpler time when a Dem presidential candidate showing an emotion was a death sentence

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
no yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh
no yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

ur the yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Lastgirl posted: